2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

MB and MT and the scouting staff obviously see something they really like about this kid. I hope they are right in spades.

I'm sure Domi, Horvat, and Griffth will be back on the Knights this coming season. Never hurts to play around talent.

I'll say it again - it is not official. The London Free Press (which is the source for your link) is speculating that he is likely to do so but no official announcement has been made.

With him signing an ELC... he's either NHL, AHL, or London..... Not too many other places he is eligible to play.

Ah, fair enough.

Still while I think its a slim chance, there is the AHL option since he played for the USNTDP and not in the OHL.

I'd say less than slim even. From the Habs' press release:

A native of Grosse Pointe, Michigan, McCarron was selected in the first round, 25th overall by the Canadiens at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He took part in his first Canadiens’ development camp last week and will join the OHL's London Knights for the 2013-14 season.

I think that pretty much removes all doubt.

I'd say less than slim even. From the Habs' press release:

I think that pretty much removes all doubt.

Hopefully this decision works out better for him than it did for LeBlanc. A free harvard education vs. Toiling in the minors for low wages.

Hopefully this decision works out better for him than it did for LeBlanc. A free harvard education vs. Toiling in the minors for low wages.

Once you play 1 year at Harvard, and complete the academics successfully; you can go back at any time in the future to earn your degree.

yes, it wont' be free anymore... but Leblanc made close to three-quarters of a million so far in his hockey career (signing bonus, 1 1/2 years AHL money, 1/2 year NHL money)

Reading through HF's QMJHL draft review, the following stat caught my eye:

Selections by team

4 – Montreal (Fucale, Andrighetto, Reway, Gregoire)
3 – Nashville
2 – Florida, Minnesota, New York Rangers, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Toronto
1 – Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Jose, Winnipeg
0 – Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh, Washington, Vancouver

I would hazard a guess that it has been a while since the Habs sat atop the list of QMJHL'ers picked by team in a single draft.

If he can get OK icetime should be fine.

My guess is that if he cant make the team he will be loaned to a team in the 2nd tier league (same league Leksand played in this past season)

Reading through HF's QMJHL draft review, the following stat caught my eye:

Selections by team

4 – Montreal (Fucale, Andrighetto, Reway, Gregoire)

3 – Nashville

2 – Florida, Minnesota, New York Rangers, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Toronto

1 – Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Jose, Winnipeg

0 – Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, New Jersey, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh, Washington, Vancouver

I would hazard a guess that it has been a while since the Habs sat atop the list of QMJHL'ers picked by team in a single draft.

\After this draft we've picked the most QMJHLers of any team since 2003.

For those who say we ignored the Q, it really wasn't true.

\After this draft we've picked the most QMJHLers of any team since 2003.

For those who say we ignored the Q, it really wasn't true.

There are still those who will complain that we didn't pick 7 Quebecois, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

The Flyers released a behind the scenes video of their draft. One of the episodes had a blurred out picture of their draft board (also known as a bunch of names on chart paper). Naturally, people have spent the past week trying to decipher the blurry names (heck, I'm not a Philly fan and I spent the better part of a half hour staring at the pic). Here's the 'board':

http://i.imgur.com/8lZUgl2.jpg

I've been checking a few different places to see if others have been able to decipher it better than I could and a few of the Habs' selections seemed to be figured out:

22 - Jacob de la Rose (went 34th)

50 - Lehkonen (went 55th)

104 - Andrighetto (went 86th)

1G - Fucale (was the first goalie off the board)

I can't figure out McCarron - it could be 48 but it could be McCoshen who went in the 2nd round as well.

McCarron seems to be a swing-for-the-fences kind of pick. This'd explain why some teams seem to have ranked him fairly highly, while others didn't. Nothing wrong with that, provided you have a whole lot of 'safer' picks surrounding it.

McCarron seems to be a swing-for-the-fences kind of pick. This'd explain why some teams seem to have ranked him fairly highly, while others didn't. Nothing wrong with that, provided you have a whole lot of 'safer' picks surrounding it.

Teams had him ranked highly because everybody has been trying to draft Lucic... big guys who explode offensively late in their development.

It's why Toronto took Tyler Biggs in 2011. It's why we took McCarron.

Draft big, cross your fingers... at the very least you get a 4th line thug.

• Upvote 2

Flyers had McCarron at 23rd. Blurry but readable:

Screen_Shot_2013_08_06_at_7_36_15_PM.png

Also, according to an HFBoards poster who claimed to have talked to the Ottawa Senators assistant GM, they had McCarron in their Top 20.

It's nice to see a couple of teams at least had McCarron ranked in the 1st. I must say, I'm surprised Nichushkin was rated 20th - I get the 'Russian factor' but that's still a big drop for a consensus top 6-9 prospect.

It's nice to see a couple of teams at least had McCarron ranked in the 1st. I must say, I'm surprised Nichushkin was rated 20th - I get the 'Russian factor' but that's still a big drop for a consensus top 6-9 prospect.

Yeah, he looked like a man amongst boys at the WJC. Would have love to see us nab him if he fell a bit further; we're missing a surefire top-six piece from the prospect pool.