2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

No, Nate McKinnon and Seth Jones are as surefire as prospects can get without playing in the NHL. I don't get how you can say that about Collberg. He's coming off a year where he didn't get much playing time and put up poor numbers. He was highly rated in his draft year but dropped to the second round. What has he done since then to be 'surefire'?

No, Nate McKinnon and Seth Jones are as surefire as prospects can get without playing in the NHL. I don't get how you can say that about Collberg. He's coming off a year where he didn't get much playing time and put up poor numbers. He was highly rated in his draft year but dropped to the second round. What has he done since then to be 'surefire'?

There's looking at his SEL (now SHL) numbers and there's the WJC numbers where he was in his age group. First off, his SEL numbers weren't terrible, 9 points in 35 games, most of which came in the second half of his season (plus another 8 in 15 games in their AHL equivalent league). He was terrific in U-16, U-17, U-18, and now U-20 play, averaging better than a point-per-game at each age level internationally. (Some of that is IIHF play, others smaller tournaments.) I won't go as far as to call him a surefire prospect but he has done enough to warrant a lot of praise and has certainly showed that he has legit top-6 potential.

So you're unhappy we don't have a first overall pick in our prospect pool? What?

Collberg's shot is already NHL calibre. His numbers were poor because he was playing in the men's league before his 18th birthday. Collberg was in Elitserisen because he was already dominating the under 20 league at 16. He was probably the most important player for Team Sweden in the World Juniors. He was supposed to be a Top 15 pick but dropped and it had nothing to do with his skill but team draft needs. With his skill set and his potential, it'd take an injury or some serious personal problems to knock him from being a top six forward in the NHL. I made the mistake of just looking at his numbers. Go watch his play.

I'd say if you don't consider NHLers to be prospects then he's our second best prospect behind Nathan Bealieu. Definitely our best prospect forward. And that isn't, "Best prospect forward projects to be third liner". He projects first line, maybe second if he doesn't transition to the NHL game like he should. He would project top six on any team that drafted him. I don't see how surefire you can get than that. Well, unless you play with hyperbole like you did with Mackinnon.

There are no guarantees in hockey but there are strong projections.

There's looking at his SEL (now SHL) numbers and there's the WJC numbers where he was in his age group. First off, his SEL numbers weren't terrible, 9 points in 35 games, most of which came in the second half of his season (plus another 8 in 15 games in their AHL equivalent league). He was terrific in U-16, U-17, U-18, and now U-20 play, averaging better than a point-per-game at each age level internationally. (Some of that is IIHF play, others smaller tournaments.) I won't go as far as to call him a surefire prospect but he has done enough to warrant a lot of praise and has certainly showed that he has legit top-6 potential.

That's pretty much how I see him - a high ceiling guy but not 'surefire' (i.e. still very much up in the air whether or not he pans out). I would maintain that 9 points in 35 games in limited minutes is not a good season for a high end scorer, even if it is playing with older players.

So you're unhappy we don't have a first overall pick in our prospect pool? What?

Collberg's shot is already NHL calibre. His numbers were poor because he was playing in the men's league before his 18th birthday. Collberg was in Elitserisen because he was already dominating the under 20 league at 16. He was probably the most important player for Team Sweden in the World Juniors. He was supposed to be a Top 15 pick but dropped and it had nothing to do with his skill but team draft needs. With his skill set and his potential, it'd take an injury or some serious personal problems to knock him from being a top six forward in the NHL. I made the mistake of just looking at his numbers. Go watch his play.

I'd say if you don't consider NHLers to be prospects then he's our second best prospect behind Nathan Bealieu. Definitely our best prospect forward. And that isn't, "Best prospect forward projects to be third liner". He projects first line, maybe second if he doesn't transition to the NHL game like he should. He would project top six on any team that drafted him. I don't see how surefire you can get than that. Well, unless you play with hyperbole like you did with Mackinnon.

There are no guarantees in hockey but there are strong projections.

The only hyperbole here is you saying that he's as surefire as can be without playing in the NHL, I merely pointed out two players in that position who I consider to be more 'surefire'. I don't deny Collberg's skills and projections, but these sorts of gushing testimonials are written about dozens of prospects each offseason and a minority actually pan out. I hope for Collberg to fulfill his potential just like I hope for Carey Price to regain his 2011 form, but I don't see either of these scenarios as 'surefire', unlike, say, NHL success for Jones or Mackinnon.

That's pretty much how I see him - a high ceiling guy but not 'surefire' (i.e. still very much up in the air whether or not he pans out). I would maintain that 9 points in 35 games in limited minutes is not a good season for a high end scorer, even if it is playing with older players.

The only hyperbole here is you saying that he's as surefire as can be without playing in the NHL, I merely pointed out two players in that position who I consider to be more 'surefire'. I don't deny Collberg's skills and projections, but these sorts of gushing testimonials are written about dozens of prospects each offseason and a minority actually pan out. I hope for Collberg to fulfill his potential just like I hope for Carey Price to regain his 2011 form, but I don't see either of these scenarios as 'surefire', unlike, say, NHL success for Jones or Mackinnon.

Even top three picks don't pan out ;)

Columbus released a draft video as well. Bergevin called on draft day and it was briefly mentioned in the video. However, I'm posting this since it happened to show some of their draft rankings as well. They had McCarron 30th:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/231/7ao3.png

Interesting videos of Flyers and Columbus. Flyers were strictly concerned with d-men and had Morin @8th which seems way too high, but it is the Flyers.

From Columbus's video,

Columbus had several offers for 14th pick, Buff offered 16th and 2nd rounder, San Jose offered 18th or 20th, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and i think Leafs offered 21st and a 2nd (all likely looking to get Domi @14th is what they guessed).

They got a call from Bergevin for their 19th pick, but didnt want to trade down as they wanted Rychel.

They offered their 27th pick to Oilers and Sabres for two 2nd rounders. With the thought that Dano would still be available in 2nd round.

Interesting videos of Flyers and Columbus. Flyers were strictly concerned with d-men and had Morin @8th which seems way too high, but it is the Flyers.

From Columbus's video,

Columbus had several offers for 14th pick, Buff offered 16th and 2nd rounder, San Jose offered 18th or 20th, a 2nd and 3rd rounder and i think Leafs offered 21st and a 2nd (all likely looking to get Domi @14th is what they guessed).

They got a call from Bergevin for their 19th pick, but didnt want to trade down as they wanted Rychel.

They offered their 27th pick to Oilers and Sabres for two 2nd rounders. With the thought that Dano would still be available in 2nd round.

Habs also wanted Morin, and tried to trade down to the 8-11 range, so...

From Columbus's video,

Just curious where were you able to find the videos?

Just curious where were you able to find the videos?

Columbus: http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=231&id=263713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Philly: http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=772&id=263455&lang=en

I would imagine they're up on YouTube as well. Both of these I believe are just one part of series that are being released throughout the month.

Habs also wanted Morin, and tried to trade down to the 8-11 range, so...

How do we know that trade was for Morin? They did try to trade in that range, but I've only seen reporter speculation that it was for Morin, not actual confirmation from anyone.

Columbus: http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=231&id=263713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Philly: http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=772&id=263455&lang=en

I would imagine they're up on YouTube as well. Both of these I believe are just one part of series that are being released throughout the month.

I just thought was interesting to actually hear offers for the different 1st round picks, even if none were acceptable to both sides.

How do we know that trade was for Morin? They did try to trade in that range, but I've only seen reporter speculation that it was for Morin, not actual confirmation from anyone.

Yeah, I find it puzzling that Morin would be our target given our depth of D prospects (and already having Tinordi who could fill roughly the same role). I've also heard we were going after Horvat which would make more sense from a personnel standpoint.

We don't. But DON was suggesting the Flyers were out to lunch on having Morin that high, and there are suggestions that Montreal was trying get him that high too.

And how many times do teams confirm who they were after? We pretty much always base this kind of thing on reporter speculation.

We didn't hear about any other trade talk with teams that were drafting AFTER Morin was chosen. That also tells a bit.

We didn't hear about any other trade talk with teams that were drafting AFTER Morin was chosen. That also tells a bit.

Except for the one with Columbus documented earlier in the thread for #19. Only three teams have done videos (Buffalo being the other) so there's no way it can be stated or implied that the Habs didn't have any trade talks after Morin was picked. Odds being odds, if they talked to Philly and Columbus (I think they were going after the #9 pick for Horvat as well, I just forget if it was with NJ, VAN, or both), they probably talked to a few other teams between 10 and 24.

Except for the one with Columbus documented earlier in the thread for #19. Only three teams have done videos (Buffalo being the other) so there's no way it can be stated or implied that the Habs didn't have any trade talks after Morin was picked. Odds being odds, if they talked to Philly and Columbus (I think they were going after the #9 pick for Horvat as well, I just forget if it was with NJ, VAN, or both), they probably talked to a few other teams between 10 and 24.

Yeah, they probably had more than one player on their wish list.

But I would bet Morin was one. Even with our depth.

Yeah, they probably had more than one player on their wish list.

But I would bet Morin was one. Even with our depth.

Don't think Morin was much of a target for trading up, I would guess a forward, like Horvat or Domi around 10 and maybe Mantha or Rychel around 20? but I also never thought McCarron would be pick #25.

Don't think Morin was much of a target for trading up, I would guess a forward, like Horvat or Domi around 10 and maybe Mantha or Rychel around 20? but I also never thought McCarron would be pick #25.

I wished so bad that we would not end up with Mantha.

I believe, might be wrong, that the Habs were drafting a big body no matter what with their 1st pick.

I wished so bad that we would not end up with Mantha.

I believe, might be wrong, that the Habs were drafting a big body no matter what with their 1st pick.

why not Mantha, seems like a big promising prospect? Wings took him and they tend to be fairly good in their picks.

why not Mantha, seems like a big promising prospect? Wings took him and they tend to be fairly good in their picks.

Words around the Q that he was not giving 100% everytime, didn't always back check properly and tends to keep the puck for himself a bit. Grigorenko/Ovechkin style...