2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

Wings have been very lucky to see two all-stars coming from LATE rounds

Which happened a pretty long time ago. They haven't repeated that but they get an unfair positive reputation for drafting. Montreal is one of the best drafting teams of the last 10 years. We just hardly recognize it when we obsess over busted picks.

Which happened a pretty long time ago. They haven't repeated that but they get an unfair positive reputation for drafting. Montreal is one of the best drafting teams of the last 10 years. We just hardly recognize it when we obsess over busted picks.

Since 2000 Wings have only had 6 1st round picks and none in 8 of those years and of the 6, 5 are with playing Wings or AHL farmteam, with 1 bust being a goalie.

And 2nd round picks are even more impressive, since 2000 every 2nd rounder is either promising prospect or NHL, with only 1 bust and 1 Russian who stayed in Russia.

Frk, Howard, Ouellet, Hudler, Tatar, Abdelkader, etc etc.

So I can see only 2 busts (to date) in first 2 rounds in 14 years? Hard to criticize that isn't it?

So, not a chance it is "unfair reputation", they are, hands down, one of best on draft day. And Timmins and crew also are one of tops in recent year, I agree for sure.

Since 2000 Wings have only had 6 1st round picks and none in 8 of those years and of the 6, 5 are with playing Wings or AHL farmteam, with 1 bust being a goalie.

And 2nd round picks are even more impressive, since 2000 every 2nd rounder is either promising prospect or NHL, with only 1 bust and 1 Russian who stayed in Russia.

Frk, Howard, Ouellet, Hudler, Tatar, Abdelkader, etc etc.

So I can see only 2 busts (to date) in first 2 rounds in 14 years? Hard to criticize that isn't it?

So, not a chance it is "unfair reputation", they are, hands down, one of best on draft day. And Timmins and crew also are one of tops in recent year, I agree for sure.

What moves did Detroit make to lose that many 1st rounders ?!? I don't remember any big moves from them involving trading a 1st...

What moves did Detroit make to lose that many 1st rounders ?!? I don't remember any big moves from them involving trading a 1st...

I don't know what trades were done; but only had a 1st rounder in; 00, 05, 07, 08, 10 & 13. And made 3 finals in this period, so whatever trades they have done couldn't have been too bad, don't think they even used any buy-outs and their prospect pool is pretty good?

I don't know what trades were done; but only had a 1st rounder in; 00, 05, 07, 08, 10 & 13. And made 3 finals in this period, so whatever trades they have done couldn't have been too bad, don't think they even used any buy-outs and their prospect pool is pretty good?

2001: Chicago Blackhawks traded Chris Chelios to the Detroit Red Wings for Anders Eriksson and 1st round selection (Steve McCarthy) in 1999 and 1st round selection (Adam Munro) in 2001

2002: Buffalo Sabres traded Dominic Hasek to the Detroit Red Wings for Vyacheslav Koslov, 1st round selection (Jim Slater) in 2002 and future considerations

2003: LA Kings traded Mathieu Schneider to the Detroit Red Wings for Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, a 1st round selection (Jeff Tambellini) in 2003 and a 2nd round selection (Martins Karsums) in 2004

2004: Washington Capitals traded Robert Lang to the Detroit Red Wings for Tomas Fleischmann, a 4th round selection (Luke Lynes) in 2006 and a 1st round selection (Mike Green) in 2004

2006: Phoenix Coyotes traded two 2nd round selections (Cory Emmerton & Shawn Matthias) in 2006 to the Detroit Red Wings for a 1st round selection (Chris Summers) in 2006 and 5th round selection (Jordan Bendfield) in 2006

2009: Tampa Bay Lightning traded a 2nd round selection (Landon Ferraro) in 2009 and a 3rd round selection (Andrej Nestrasil) in 2009 to the Detroit Red Wings for a 1st round selection (Carter Ashton) in 2009

2011: Ottawa Senators traded two 2nd round selections (Tomas Jurco & Xavier Ouellet) in 2011 to the Detroit Red Wings for a 1st round selection (Matt Puempel) in 2011

2012: Tampa Bay Lightning traded Kyle Quincey to the Detroit Red Wings for Sebastien Piche & a 1st round selection (Andrei Vasilevski) in 2012

Since 2005, the Wings have drafted, 0 proven top 6 forwards.... 1 proven top 4 defenceman (and Jakub Kindl has played all of 1 season and a 48 game one at that as a top 4 d), and 0 number 1 goalies.

People can say that is because they wait so long on their prospects, but the last time they had elite talents, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, both were in the NHL by the start of their 3rd season post draft.... so is it really patience, or is it that guys like Brendan Smith are just not that good. Watching Smith in the NHL this year, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Words around the Q that he was not giving 100% everytime, didn't always back check properly and tends to keep the puck for himself a bit. Grigorenko/Ovechkin style...

If he did all that without giving it his all, imagine what he could do if you coaxed the extra big out of him?

Man, I'd kill for a guy who played like Ovechkin. Seriously, I would murder someone for that.

If he did all that without giving it his all, imagine what he could do if you coaxed the extra big out of him?

Man, I'd kill for a guy who played like Ovechkin. Seriously, I would murder someone for that.

Should have listed AK46 instead of Ovechkin...