2013 Official Draft Day Thread

dlbalr

Lots of complaints for a number 25 pick! That being said, I saw a clip montage of him on HIO and it seemed to be he shielding the puck in the corner and creating screens. Not very impressive. I saw him fight in a few clips, it doesn't look like he's too good there either. On the record, I wanted Adam Erne. Once again we hear "we tried...the price was too high." I wonder if this will be the "weapons of mass destruction" soundbite of the Bergevin Administration. He's undoubtedly getting a reputation as a tire kicker.

That's a good question - I wasn't the one who did the scoring for this so I don't have the final tallies (I have the ballots but the scoring is in another file). I'd guess you were right up there though as at quick glance, I think you got 6 picks right.

Cool. I got McCarron with the Habs, but 36 oa I believe.

Lots of complaints for a number 25 pick! That being said, I saw a clip montage of him on HIO and it seemed to be he shielding the puck in the corner and creating screens. Not very impressive. I saw him fight in a few clips, it doesn't look like he's too good there either. On the record, I wanted Adam Erne. Once again we hear "we tried...the price was too high." I wonder if this will be the "weapons of mass destruction" soundbite of the Bergevin Administration. He's undoubtedly getting a reputation as a tire kicker.

In one of the interviews I read/heard today (I'm trying to remember which), I read/heard that the Habs were willing to meet the high price to move up but that the other team backed out right before the pick. I got the sense they weren't tire kicking.

Bergevin said he tried to move up and he was willing to pay the price requested but the team decided to keep the pick. Timmins said they were willing to dance but could not find a partner willing to dance. Seems to me the team did its work and just could not get the other team to say yes. I would like to know who the team(s) were and who Montreal was trying to select. I believe they wanted Morin or Gauthier.

Bergevin said he tried to move up and he was willing to pay the price requested but the team decided to keep the pick. Timmins said they were willing to dance but could not find a partner willing to dance. Seems to me the team did its work and just could not get the other team to say yes. I would like to know who the team(s) were and who Montreal was trying to select. I believe they wanted Morin or Gauthier.

On tv, RDS, they said it was for Morin, so I guess it was with the Flyers...

Im on the fence. The way I see it. Leblanc is struggling in the AHL as a first rounder and a lil 5th rounder like Gallagher shoulda won the Calder. You just never know.

Thus, with what was remaining at 25th. I like the prospect of McCarron. With all the smallish skilled forwards already in the system. I think this was a necessary gamble. And, if it fails. Its not Kostitsyn in one of the best drafts pools in history. Plus.. Lehkonen, Reway & Andrighetto are top 6 or bust.

Essentially, Its possible they wanted Fucale but gambled he'd still be there. Securing the one player they in-fact actually really needed to compliment their farm. Galchenyuk, Kristo, Tinordi and McCarron have history together, I like this.Along with LeBlanc and Kristo fro USHL. Patteryn & Bennett. Dietz & Thrower. Im liking this..

Re La Rose excites me most about this crop. And, Crisp.. you never know. Basically a Schultz replacement with better ethics and athleticism.

p.s. Erne was passed up on by Roy, that makes me wonder.

Im on the fence. The way I see it. Leblanc is struggling in the AHL as a first rounder and a lil 5th rounder like Gallagher shoulda won the Calder. You just never know.

Thus, with what was remaining at 25th. I like the prospect of McCarron. With all the smallish skilled forwards already in the system. I think this was a necessary gamble. And, if it fails. Its not Kostitsyn in one of the best drafts pools in history. Plus.. Lehkonen, Reway & Andrighetto are top 6 or bust.

Essentially, Its possible they wanted Fucale but gambled he'd still be there. Securing the one player they in-fact actually really needed to compliment their farm. Galchenyuk, Kristo, Tinordi and McCarron have history together, I like this.Along with LeBlanc and Kristo fro USHL. Patteryn & Bennett. Dietz & Thrower. Im liking this..

Re La Rose excites me most about this crop. And, Crisp.. you never know. Basically a Schultz replacement with better ethics and athleticism.

p.s. Erne was passed up on by Roy, that makes me wonder.

Agreed. I liked the De La Rose pick the most. Favorite picks in order -

*De La Rose (size, defensively abilities, Swedish prospect system)

*Fucale (pressing need and the top goalie prospect)

*Crisp (this draft class wasn't much fun. The team needs a fighter)

*McCarron (tied with Crisp)

*Lehkonen

* Androghetto. (More of the same)

*Reway.

Dang!

Yea, I thought the same thing.

I wish we had a Crisp vs McCarron vid to watch lmao. I think Crisp would own him. One good thing about those two. Is Marty Lapointe! :wall:

25 was a safe pick... McCarron will make the NHL. Barring Injuries, I have no doubt about that.

My problem with the pick is lack of upside. I don't like the safe 3rd/4th liner.

You are saying exactly what I want to get across. I don't like the idea that you got x amount of picks and two stick to the wall , then you are successful. I may be alone here, but my first pick targets a top six forward, top two defenseman or a top goalie.if at all possible. Reading the numbers, I think their were others out there that had better numbers and would be safer bets to fall into those categories. I don't buy into the notion that if your first pick plays in the NHL then that is a safe pick.

I had a few minutes just now and my head's still in draft mode (I need to change that quickly with UFA talks set to begin soon) so I elaborated on my quickie report card from last night (I changed a couple of the grades as well having had a bit more time to reflect on the picks): http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3123

I've also added in a couple more scouting reports for the first and second round picks (some of them now have six) to the articles from last night.

Some say McCarron was a reach, but wouldn't be upset if we picked Fucale at #25...

Timmins/Bergevin wanted McCarron, but felt he "may" not last until R2 and didn't wanna take that risk of somebody snagging him..

Fucale dropped and we picked him at 36..Is there a reason to hate the pick at 25 when we got Fucale at 36 anyway? LOL

Flip the picks, does it ease your mind? Who cares where they got picked, as long as we got them..

• Upvote 2

Well...I'll admit to not knowing much about our picks but I will say this about draft philosophy and our 1st round selection which has been receiving mixed reviews:

When you draft in the late first round your chances of securing a top 6 player are not significantly greater then finding someone between rounds 2 - 4. Perhaps the only difference is that your late first round pick has a greater chance of being an NHL regular but no greater chance of necessarily being a top 6 player. That's admittedly anecdotal and based on just a general perusal of past drafts.

When you pick in the late first round you're finding kids with a couple of decent tools (could be defense, skating, hands, vision, whatever) and/or the athletic ability to build those tools. Based on that I think this kid fits that mold based on what I'm hearing and reading in the reports...and I generally trust the Habs scouts who've done a reasonable job in drafts. My concern is usually with player development after we draft...the team sometimes rushes players and/or has kids playing in the wrong roles in the minors.

Either way, this kid is going to see playing time under the a great coach next year regardless which team he ends up at.

Glad to see them pick up a goalie this year...hopefully they give that kid 4 years in the minors/AHL to really develop properly. Sadly, I think the media will screw the whole goalie thing up for the Habs over that time frame. I can already envision some media types calling for the french Canadian kid to replace, or at least back-up, Price in the next 24 months (which would be ridiculous).

Some say McCarron was a reach, but wouldn't be upset if we picked Fucale at #25...

Timmins/Bergevin wanted McCarron, but felt he "may" not last until R2 and didn't wanna take that risk of somebody snagging him..

Fucale dropped and we picked him at 36..Is there a reason to hate the pick at 25 when we got Fucale at 36 anyway? LOL

Flip the picks, does it ease your mind? Who cares where they got picked, as long as we got them..

I was one of those and yes, if you look back in the thread, you'll see I posted something very much along those lines.

A thought while I get 5 minutes to breathe before the next pick to write about: I'd have been content with Fucale at 25 (I know I'd be in the minority there) and could have lived with McCarron at 36 (I still would have said it was a bit early but it'd be understandable). I had no qualms with De la Rose either. So although McCarron at 25 was a bit disappointing for me, I'm happy in general with the three picks on the whole. Funny how that works sometimes.

Guest Stogey24

“The price was big, and we were willing to pay, but it didn’t work,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin told reporters towards the conclusion the Draft.

MB wanted a top 10 selection. This makes me think there maybe a fairly significant trade or signing in the future.

I think you are correct and only took mcCarron because he would surely have gone before 34.

Love the Rose, Fucale and Lehkonen picks.

Crisp was a total unknown and was pulling for one of Kujawinski/Hayden/Bjorkstrand @71.

Gregoire may be a good underrated find and was Fucale's teammate @ U18s last summer and Hudon's teammate this year ( not that means much).

Both the smaller euro's both have done well at international tourys for Slovakia/Swiss and Andrighetto lit up the Q this year and i assume headed stright to Hamilton?

“The price was big, and we were willing to pay, but it didn’t work,” Habs GM Marc Bergevin told reporters towards the conclusion the Draft.

MB wanted a top 10 selection. This makes me think there maybe a fairly significant trade or signing in the future.

From what I've heard he wanted Bo Horvat and had a move in place to swap with Philly. Others have heard he wanted Morin but Morin was taken too early where Philly took him.

And people should watch the video Joe posted. Saw it yesterday. His work around the boards is absolutely fantastic and he doesn't look too slow at all. Guys drop when he hits them too. Of course it's only one game. Cam Fowler looked like a great defensive defenceman when he played for Team USA in the juniors and we all know that's not the case.

On tv, RDS, they said it was for Morin, so I guess it was with the Flyers...

I heard the same thing. It was with Philly.