Danny Kristo traded for Christian Thomas

It's a swap of similar offensive potential. Thomas is smaller but grittier and a hard worker.

Kristo has had character issues from the time he started at ND,

MB is clearing those guys out.

It's an even swap in talent and a better character guy.

this looks to me like a trade of Kristo Who is not too sure if he wants to put in the effort to play in the NHL for a kid who definitely wants to and will do whatever it takes. I'll take the the little guy this time. :habslogo:

With Thomas, who at least produced pretty well for a rookie in the AHL, and possibly Andrighetto as well, the Bulldogs should at least be a bit better offensively...and a bit smaller as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas in the NHL for a stint or two next season, he's probably their best forward callup option as things stand.

Trading an American for a Canadian usually sits well with me.

I'm sad though to have waited so long to see him play for the Habs.

Good luck MB I hope this ends up being a steal.

Seems puzzling to me, Kristo looks like he has the higher ceiling of the two, considering his callup to the Worlds. Maybe they don't think he'll cut it as a top 6 player and Thomas is a better depth guy.

Oh well, here's to hoping that Kristo's career fizzles out.

Does anyone feel better if I word it like this : Montreal has acquired New York's 2nd round pick in 2010 (40th overall) for Montreal's 2nd round pick in 2008 pick (56th overall).

Haha......Oh well it was worth a shot

Seems puzzling to me, Kristo looks like he has the higher ceiling of the two, considering his callup to the Worlds. Maybe they don't think he'll cut it as a top 6 player and Thomas is a better depth guy.

Oh well, here's to hoping that Kristo's career fizzles out.

Thats not what habs fans do. (Hope for failure of a dealt prospect) We hope he becomes a perennial all-star so we can talk about it for the next ten years.

Does anyone feel better if I word it like this : Montreal has acquired New York's 2nd round pick in 2010 (40th overall) for Montreal's 2nd round pick in 2008 pick (56th overall).

Unfortunately, the Rangers have one of the worst draft records in the NHL.

Trading an American for a Canadian usually sits well with me.

I'm sad though to have waited so long to see him play for the Habs.

Good luck MB I hope this ends up being a steal.

Same feeling. You follow a player's development for 4-5 years, then when he knocks at the door you trade him.

Thought Kristo was the kind of player we wanted.

With Thomas, who at least produced pretty well for a rookie in the AHL, and possibly Andrighetto as well, the Bulldogs should at least be a bit better offensively...and a bit smaller as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas in the NHL for a stint or two next season, he's probably their best forward callup option as things stand.

Yeah, another guard on the off days, when they are shooting hoops.

this looks to me like a trade of Kristo Who is not too sure if he wants to put in the effort to play in the NHL for a kid who definitely wants to and will do whatever it takes. I'll take the the little guy this time. :habslogo:

What do you (or others) know about Kristo's work ethic ?. He's a 22 yo college kid who got caught a couple of times with alcohol or drinking at parties. Wow,what a bad KID.Worked hard enough to be one of the top NCAA players the past couple of years though. I guess by that reasoning the Hawks should have dumped Patrick "Conn Smythe winner" kane

I don't see why a healthy, rejuvenated Louis Leblanc shouldn't be able to crack the Habs top 9, if not by the beginning of the season, by the end.

I hope so and had hopes for him during his call up in 2012. His window is starting to close

Yeah, another guard on the off days, when they are shooting hoops.

Depends on how you want to look at it, I guess. I prefer to look at the happy part in that the team will actually improve which will help them resemble a competitive team next season than bemoan the size issue yet again. Besides, there's a full offseason ahead and a lot of decent AHL veterans on the market that could help with the size and talent concerns down there.

Depends on how you want to look at it, I guess. I prefer to look at the happy part in that the team will actually improve which will help them resemble a competitive team next season than bemoan the size issue yet again. Besides, there's a full offseason ahead and a lot of decent AHL veterans on the market that could help with the size and talent concerns down there.

The size issue HAS to be bemoaned though. It's the joke of the league. Even after 3 nice picks in the draft,they revert back to their 5'9 fetish. I t doesn't work in todays NHL. Balance is needed severely in this organization. Even our enforcer types come in under 200lbs.

The size issue HAS to be bemoaned though. It's the joke of the league. Even after 3 nice picks in the draft,they revert back to their 5'9 fetish. I t doesn't work in todays NHL. Balance is needed severely in this organization. Even our enforcer types come in under 200lbs.

We've discussed it on here ad nauseam though. There aren't many points pertaining to a lack of size that haven't been hammered home repeatedly. We all know it's an issue, we all would like to see it fixed. That doesn't mean every single player drafted/acquired has to fit a predetermined height/weight criteria irrespective of their actual playing abilities.

We have here a swap of two smaller prospects, both with secondary line NHL upside. The fact that Thomas is an inch or an inch and a half smaller should not be the only factor considered in trying to evaluate the trade, yet that seems to be the lone focus. One is a sniper (Thomas), the other a playmaker (Kristo); what is the better fit for the Habs' needs there? One has two more years of team control (Thomas). One has more international playing experience and is believed to be closer to being NHL ready (Kristo). Those are other factors to ponder and yet they're not getting enough attention. They all need to be part of the discussion as well in a trade like this. That's where I was getting at with that post.

• Upvote 1

We've discussed it on here ad nauseam though. There aren't many points pertaining to a lack of size that haven't been hammered home repeatedly. We all know it's an issue, we all would like to see it fixed. That doesn't mean every single player drafted/acquired has to fit a predetermined height/weight criteria irrespective of their actual playing abilities.

We have here a swap of two smaller prospects, both with secondary line NHL upside. The fact that Thomas is an inch or an inch and a half smaller should not be the only factor considered in trying to evaluate the trade, yet that seems to be the lone focus. One is a sniper (Thomas), the other a playmaker (Kristo); what is the better fit for the Habs' needs there? One has two more years of team control (Thomas). One has more international playing experience and is believed to be closer to being NHL ready (Kristo). Those are other factors to ponder and yet they're not getting enough attention. They all need to be part of the discussion as well in a trade like this. That's where I was getting at with that post.

Actually it's 2" and 18 lbs. He's added 4 players since the draft that are 5'9" which tells me that this issue will not be getting fixed anytime soon

Actually it's 2" and 18 lbs. He's added 4 players since the draft that are 5'9" which tells me that this issue will not be getting fixed anytime soon

Although our 2 highest picks in the draft were 6'5 and 6'2 respectively, so there's that. And, even if he never amounts to anything more than a 4th line grinder, 6'4 Connor Crisp is nothing to scoff at.

I know it's officially 2", does that 1/2 an inch really matter that much? And the Habs have been known to exaggerate heights for their own prospects before so I wouldn't rule out it being 1 or 1.5. Again, are we at the point where we're solely judging acquisitions by the size and weight of a player? The Habs' depth of talent is nowhere near a point where they can systematically eliminate scouting or acquiring any smaller players. Skill does still count for something and to keep this remotely on topic, skill is something Thomas has (and Kristo too). Surely that's relevant in the context of discussing and evaluating this deal which is what this thread is for...

Well Kristo,Collberg and Hudon are/were being touted as our 3 best forward prospects. They are all small and if they are the best we got then we have to really look into the trade route and/or next years UFA class. I thought all three were marginal prospects at best and I've been proven right about Kristo

Although our 2 highest picks in the draft were 6'5 and 6'2 respectively, so there's that. And, even if he never amounts to anything more than a 4th line grinder, 6'4 Connor Crisp is nothing to scoff at.

Size is important,but toughness/grit needs to go along with it. I like Delarose's size,but not convinced about his toughness. McCaron,Crisp and Gregoire were the types of picks needed to add to hamilton and eventually our roster. If 1 of 3 picks make it,i would rather have hedged my bets on Bigs

Size is important,but toughness/grit needs to go along with it. I like Delarose's size,but not convinced about his toughness. McCaron,Crisp and Gregoire were the types of picks needed to add to hamilton and eventually our roster. If 1 of 3 picks make it,i would rather have hedged my bets on Bigs

They're getting there. Let's see what Marc St. WeirdSuit does during free agency. Looking at what he goes for in a contract, it's clear that Scuderi, Iginla, Horton and Clarkson are out.

My picks-with Bergevin's tire kicking ways in mind, I'd say the following free agents are Habs targets.

-Ryane Clowe

-Matt Cooke

-Danny Briere

-Jagr

-PM Bouchard

-Theo Peckham

-Keith Ballard

-Valteri Fillpula

-Damien Brunner

I say we:

1. Overpay for Clowe. (Term wise)

2. Get either Brunner or PM Bouchard for a project.

3. Crap the bed on D, and sign no one.

I'm going out on a limb, and I say this is the overdue "Year of the Goon." Jody Shelley and Fraser MacClaren are available, and if I'm Bergevin I'd offer 2 years/1.7 mil for MacClaren.

If Prust has to fight more than 15 times next year, I don't see him making it to the end of his deal in one piece.