Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

I agree,

Kane Byfuglien Burmistrov for Plekanec Desharnais Moen Diaz Collberg

Something like that would be ridiculous, of course.

Briere coming in is the perfect piece to fill in for a missing Plek. At less of a cap hit. Giving Galchenyuk 2 years to mature into a center. Could be a plausible scenario.

I'd take Kane in a heartbeat. If it costs us Pleks, we're stacked at center, only center off limits is Galchenyuk. If we could get Kane, Byfuglien and Burmistrov I'd be Ok with Eller and Pleks going the other way, would rather if it was 2 centers one would be DD.

Bourque - Briere - Kane

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Desharnais - Burmistrov - Gionta

Prust - White - Dumont(Larose from FA?)

Subban - Gorges

Byfuglien - Markov

Diaz - Emelin(Tinordi/Boullion)

Not gonna lie, that team looks pretty decent to me, only thing I would change is if we could retain Eller and trade away Desharnais.

Even Better:

Patches - Briere - Kane

Byfuglien - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Burmistrov - Gionta

Prust - White - Dumont

Pleks, Eller and DD out of the lineup, Byfuglien playing wing. 2 of the 3 centers going to Winnipeg, the other can go somewhere else for a 4th liners and a prospect, defenceman or pick.

I have no idea how Kevin Cheveldayoff thinks or wants for his team and he already has a ton of money available and a couple of pretty good prospects coming up.

I'd be more than happy to send Desharnais and Diaz to Winnipeg for just Byfuglien. Getting Kane I don't think we could put a package together.

Free Asset, didn’t give up anything. Short term deal.

He’s not the best fit, I admit that. But, we had 9 million in cap space and a crappy UFA class….. might as well use some of it on stop gaps, instead of long term deals. Essentially he’s Michael Ryder’s replacement on the PP.

Unused cap space never won a game in the NHL.

I agree 100%. Would rather have Briere over Ryder. Better offensive & defensive player.

Plus, Briere is a clutch performer in the playoffs something the Habs need. I like the signing.

Meh
This signing to me is basically a plan "B" after losing out on Lecavalier. Another way of looking at it is he's a replacement for the younger & bigger Ryder, because Briere has played more right wing than center the past few seasons.
Here's how I'm analyzing this move.
CONS:
-35 years old
-terrible defensive player who will likely cause Therien fits
-2 concussions in 2 last two seasons have caused him to miss around 22 games
-faceoff winning percentage was 45% last season
-playoff offensive production is overrated, since he's a -9 for his career and has had only 2 out of 9 seasons where he's been a plus player
-diminuative forward at 5'10" and 179 lbs
PROS:
-2 year contract is not a long commitment
-his $4M contract is less than what Ryder will get as a UFA soon, & less than what Lecavalier will get from the Flyers
-109 points in 108 playoff games
-when he's healthy and gets top 2 line ice time he can be productive offensively
-able to talk in two languages to the Montreal media

LeBrun is on the radio saying that Briere had offers from NJ and Nashville and took less to play in Montreal...and that his conference call to Bergevin confirming this was very emotional. "This was very much and emotional [as opposed to business] decision" for Briere. Apparently Bergevin had talked with Holmgren after the buy-out and Holmgren's advice was that, by hook or by crook, get this player on your team.

So all that makes me feel a little better, I suppose.

That said, it's going to be tough to sweat out the summer waiting to see what Bergevin has up his sleeve in order to make this line-up make any sense.

I liked the Ryder for Cole deal because it freed up the last 2 years of Cole's contract. But we just lost that cap space for an over the hill,performance declining,injury-riddled smurf. This move reeks of a Gainey/Gauthier band-aid to go for that all important 8th seed and first round whupping,with maybe another Boston Beatdown and/or Maple Leaf massacre along the way

Kane, Buff for DD, Gallagher, Beaulieu and a 1st

That looks about right value wise, sadly I wouldn't want to part with Gallagher and pretty sure MB doesn't want to trade away his first this early in the year.

No matter how we swing it I do believe there is a trade somewhere. We currently have Desharnais, Pleks, Galchenyuk, White, Eller and Briere that are natural centers. We only need 4 so at least 1 is probably going somewhere, maybe 2. As much a I hate to say this Eller would probably fetch a good return. If we trade away 2 centers it'll probably be Pleks and Eller. Galchenyuk is nearly untouchable, Desharnais was just resigned, Briere was just signed and unless we get Lapierre, White will be our 4th line center. For what we're looking for in a 4th line center White is the man, hits, fights, wins faceoffs, not a liability in his own zone, just gotta get over those bonehead penalties.

Pleks could fetch a good return. I could see Pleks + prospect(Beaulieu)/mid pick(3rd) for Kane. Might even get Burmistrov cheap as he wants out of Winnipeg as well, too bad he's another Kostitysn/Grabovski mold player, plays when he feels like it. Not gonna lie, Patches - Briere - Kane, gives me a little chubby just thinking about it.... Sorry.

What is it with players wanting out of Winnipeg? Too many mosquitoes? I know Burmistrov and Kane want out. Two young players to build around want nothing to do with that team.

While I think Briere is a replacement for Ryder. As long as our PP keeps humming we can do some damage.

However, I could be wrong and this could be the end of DD instead.... media won't notice the old best french player on the team leaving, with a new french star coming in.

Look at what Tyler Bozak is asking for (and will likely get) nearly 5 million on the free agent market. Yes, he can win more faceoffs, but he's not good defensively and played with Phil Kessel, and scored less than DD. I don't think the deal is as untradeable as some say.

Free Asset, didn’t give up anything. Short term deal.

He’s not the best fit, I admit that. But, we had 9 million in cap space and a crappy UFA class….. might as well use some of it on stop gaps, instead of long term deals. Essentially he’s Michael Ryder’s replacement on the PP.

Unused cap space never won a game in the NHL.

I'd like to thank you for this post. I didn't like the signing at first. I don't find it a panic move. A part of me is concerned it's more about where Briere was born. I was in the Guy Lafleur fan club in the 70's, but taking local guys for the sake of being local is no way to build a winner. But you're right about cap space. I think we should be thankful our favorite team is wealthy, and will always spend to the cap. One other thing, watch Michael McCarron be more productive than Lecavalier in the 4th and 5th years of his crazy deal.

I'd like to thank you for this post. I didn't like the signing at first. I don't find it a panic move. A part of me is concerned it's more about where Briere was born. I was in the Guy Lafleur fan club in the 70's, but taking local guys for the sake of being local is no way to build a winner. But you're right about cap space. I think we should be thankful our favorite team is wealthy, and will always spend to the cap. One other thing, watch Michael McCarron be more productive than Lecavalier in the 4th and 5th years of his crazy deal.

Of course taking local guys just for the sake of it doesn't build a winner. just like taking GM's and coaches for the same reason. So much for a younger more balanced team. Rw are Gio, Gally and Briere. That's balance ?

I have no idea how Kevin Cheveldayoff thinks or wants for his team and he already has a ton of money available and a couple of pretty good prospects coming up.

I'd be more than happy to send Desharnais and Diaz to Winnipeg for just Byfuglien. Getting Kane I don't think we could put a package together.

Maybe if KC has the same bizarre smurf fetish as Bergevin. I don't think NHL '14 would accept that trade

Of course taking local guys just for the sake of it doesn't build a winner. just like taking GM's and coaches for the same reason. So much for a younger more balanced team. Rw are Gio, Gally and Briere. That's balance ?

Ya, you're new around here. That's been debated since the beginning of time. Coaches and GM's are one thing, players are another.

Briere is only a two yr deal, but it's $4m we don't have to go after an elite UFA class next year. I'd rather get a high draft choice(like Galch,or any of the top 4 this year) than battle for a low seed/1st rd exit. Remember Detroit and Columbus are in our conference now,one team better the other our equal

Ya, you're new around here. That's been debated since the beginning of time. Coaches and GM's are one thing, players are another.

I'd rather have a player or two based on where they were born than a gm or coach

Crazy question.. But would you do Price, DD, and a prospect for Miller and Vanek? I could see MB putting Price out there... maybe to Colorado for Duchene

Miller is an elite goalie and Vanek would instantly be the best Oofensive player Habs have had in 20 years. You'd have to throw in a Tinordi or Beaulieu plus one of our higher picks from last week

Briere is only a two yr deal, but it's $4m we don't have to go after an elite UFA class next year. I'd rather get a high draft choice(like Galch,or any of the top 4 this year) than battle for a low seed/1st rd exit. Remember Detroit and Columbus are in our conference now,one team better the other our equal

I'd rather have a player or two based on where they were born than a gm or coach

We'll have close to 20m in space next year.... .yes some will go to Eller and Subban.... but even if we go 11 million for those two we still have plenty of space. If the cap goes up, even more.

We'll have close to 20m in space next year.... .yes some will go to Eller and Subban.... but even if we go 11 million for those two we still have plenty of space. If the cap goes up, even more.

There is no need to overspend this off-season especially with the lousy pool of talent this year.

There is no need to overspend this off-season especially with the lousy pool of talent this year.

Thats why you give Briere a short term deal, instead of signing one of the other UFAs who are looking for 4 years plus

Briere is Gionta's replacement from what I can see. He's a veteran who can play top six forward, be a mentor to the youngsters (I guess he was praised in Philly for that) and he costs less. Gionta took a pretty serious injury in the playoffs and there's a chance he might not be ready to play in October. Even when he is, it just means depth for the team. What I like about Briere is that he will be a playoff performer when we make it.

It makes sense, I can justify it, but that doesn't mean I like it. Like I've repeated, I wanted to hold still and just give more minutes to the kids.

Briere is Gionta's replacement from what I can see. He's a veteran who can play top six forward, be a mentor to the youngsters (I guess he was praised in Philly for that) and he costs less. Gionta took a pretty serious injury in the playoffs and there's a chance he might not be ready to play in October. Even when he is, it just means depth for the team. What I like about Briere is that he will be a playoff performer when we make it.

It makes sense, I can justify it, but that doesn't mean I like it. Like I've repeated, I wanted to hold still and just give more minutes to the kids.

Exactly, imagine how productive the Gallys and Eller would have been with more ice time and PP time. This season will be an exciting one for those guys. We've never had such exciting young prospects so we're used to talking up free agency and "who should we get?"

Exactly, imagine how productive the Gallys and Eller would have been with more ice time and PP time. This season will be an exciting one for those guys. We've never had such exciting young prospects so we're used to talking up free agency and "who should we get?"

It bears repeating. Lars Eller had only 32 minutes all season of powerplay time but was still able to get five points. David Desharnais had 138 and only seven points to show for it. Why is DD on the powerplay and not Eller?

We'll see how this plays out. What I don't like is now we have Gionta, Briere, Bourque, and Pacioretty. 4 guys in the top 6 that are always injured.

It bears repeating. Lars Eller had only 32 minutes all season of powerplay time but was still able to get five points. David Desharnais had 138 and only seven points to show for it. Why is DD on the powerplay and not Eller?

The Eller Powerplay Chronicles continue.

I hope he gets his shot this year. He can be a playmaking dynamo and has quite a lethal shot when he has the confidence to use it.

hahahaha

Facebook status of a local comic duo here in Montreal :

Marc Bergevin's plan in 3 easy steps :

1. Habs need to get bigger.

2. Sign Daniel Brière.

3. Other players look bigger.

Done.

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Pacioretty - Eller - Gallagher

Briere - Desharnais - Galchenyuk

Moen - White - Prust

This is how I would have the lines if the season started today. Having DD and Briere on the same line might seem like a mistake at first glance, but I could see them making for an exploitative 3rd line. Obviously teams will match up their best shut down guys versus the top 2 lines, leaving the DD line to skate circles around their bottom pairing defensemen.

Obviously one of the smallest forward groups in the league, but the amount of skill has gotta be somewhere around the top. It's very hard to roll 3 legit scoring lines in the NHL today, and I think the Habs definitely have that going for them.

You have got to believe that the fact Briere is a proven playoff producer factored into the decision - 109 points in 108 games.