Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

imo Ryder would have been resigned if not for that playoff "showing"

In that case alot of players shouldn't have been qualified or waived. It was an embarassment after a good season

In that case alot of players shouldn't have been qualified or waived. It was an embarassment after a good season

There's a bit of a difference between letting a guy with an expiring contract go versus waiving someone already signed. One you can use as justification to make a decision that many figured was coming whether he played well or poorly (quite a few of us here expected him to leave either way), the other would be waiving a player after as many as five bad games. That would be a recipe for disaster. Ryder's effort just made the decision that was likely coming anyways easier.

Also, the Habs formally registered Briere's contract late this afternoon with the league, making it official.

There's a bit of a difference between letting a guy with an expiring contract go versus waiving someone already signed. One you can use as justification to make a decision that many figured was coming whether he played well or poorly (quite a few of us here expected him to leave either way), the other would be waiving a player after as many as five bad games. That would be a recipe for disaster. Ryder's effort just made the decision that was likely coming anyways easier.

Also, the Habs formally registered Briere's contract late this afternoon with the league, making it official.

I was being sarcastic,but those 5 games showed us who is ready for the totally different world of playoff hockey and who isn't.Tinordi, Gally and Galch definitely showed they were imo. And Diaz and DD aren't. Eller never got the chance unfortunately,and hopefully the egg laid by Patches was from playing with an injury and not because of the perimeter player he is becoming

Stubbs is a total butt kisser. I gave up reading him when he wrote glowing articles about Scott Gomez and Jacques Martin during the 11-12 disaster. Two of the worst things to happen to the Habs the last 10 years

Guest Stogey24

Stubbs is a total butt kisser. I gave up reading him when he wrote glowing articles about Scott Gomez and Jacques Martin during the 11-12 disaster. Two of the worst things to happen to the Habs the last 10 years

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Well this might get awkward...

Ha ha ha, that is hilarious! And uncharacteristic of Pleks. (Not that he's not prone to vicious stickwork, just that he's seldom so egregious about it!)

Briere is a very dirty player at the faceoff dot. Even dirtier than Plekanec (Plek is one of the most notorious cheaters at the circle). There's another video of Eller getting frustrated with Briere.

I think Eller and Plekanec will be relieved to have Briere on the team instead of squaring up against him. Plus maybe Briere can teach Eller a thing or two ;)

I hope Briere is a pest in the side of every team in the division.

I am so scared he will fail in Montreal....

Well, whether he "fails" will depend on the expectations. Anyone expecting 82 games and 80 points out of him is going to be disappointed. Based on his past few seasons, a 50-point pace interspersed with injuries is more realistic - sort of Brian Gionta numbers, with maybe a little more versatile a game.

But there are two statements Bergevin has made that I find wise. One is that, to win a Cup, you need to be able to play every style of hockey. (This gets to the issue of "balance" in our lineup; since we obviously lack balance, fair to say that MB doesn't think of us as contenders yet). The other is that there are players that get you to the playoffs, and players that help you win in the playoffs. Briere is clearly of the latter category at this stage of his career.

So his level of success will be highly playoff dependent. If he gets 60 games and 35 points, that's a pretty lame regular season, but if he then pulls a Cammy and rips it up in the playoffs, he will have delivered.

Yes if Danny scores 50 points that would be acceptable.

Would like to see him score 25 or more as well.

I have grown to loathe his goal celebration so much it's going to be strange to be happy to see it.\

Others I hate(d) Prospal and Sturm yuck

Guest Stogey24

Yeah I hated Sturm. Probably if he was on another team I wouldn't care for Galchenyuk, but hopefully we'll see more of his brand of losing it.

Galchenyuk is a kid relax.

just curious... why don't people like goal celebrations?

Sometimes a particular player just rubs you the wrong way, especially if they play for a rival - i.e. Sturm or Briere. I generally enjoy exuberant goal celebrations like Subban's.

• Upvote 1

just curious... why don't people like goal celebrations?

Oh, God. It's all part of this idiotic, joy-sapping "code" whereby if players fail to act like robots, they are "disrespecting" the opposition and therefore deserve to receive physical assaults with the potential to leave them crippled for life. Unless, that is, they are players of a certain, Don-Cherry-approved profile such as Tiger Williams. Then it's OK.

• Upvote 4

Oh, God. It's all part of this idiotic, joy-sapping "code" whereby if players fail to act like robots, they are "disrespecting" the opposition and therefore deserve to receive physical assaults with the potential to leave them crippled for life. Unless, that is, they are players of a certain, Don-Cherry-approved profile such as Tiger Williams. Then it's OK.

It's a greater offence to "embarrass" a player/team than it is to celebrate your success.

Unless you just won the Cup of course, then dance the night away.

I love goal celebrations. Denis Savard always looked so happy after scoring, and Galchenyuk also get very fired up, just makes for more excitement. As for Cherry, I haven't agreed with anything he has said in the last 10 years or so. I have no issue with such displays.

• 3 weeks later...