George Parros to Montreal for Phillipe Lefebvre and a 7th in 2014

I agree that many of the contracts were ridiculous.. But Montreal has the pieces to put a better offer for Ryan on the table...

Just look at what teams in the division did...

Boston adds Erikkson, Iginla, and Prospects

Ottawa adds Ryan, MacArthur,

Toronto adds Bolland, Clarkson, Brennen, Bernier

Detroit adds Weiss, Alfredson

You just can't sit and wait for draft picks to develop... There's no guarantee that those picks will even work.. You have to make moves to improve.. Why does it seem like many other teams are doing so while we wait...

I'm with you on that brother. To be fair though, MB was busy... its just hard for us to accept the fact that a lot of players dont want to play in Montreal. Whether its the Language difference or the pressure the fans and media put on the players. I believe MB will slowly bring a respectability back to our club. I like the moves he has made, I just hope he is not done and gets us some more size in the top9

You can also do the same thing the other way. Just look at what the teams in the division lost!

Boston minus Seguin, Horton, Peverley, Khudobin, Ference, prospect

Ottawa minus Alfredsson, Silverberg, Benoit, Regin, 1st round pick, prospect

Toronto minus MacArthur, Matt Frattin, Leo Komarov(KHL), 2x 2nd round picks

Detroit minus Filppula

The following players can also be lost by those teams. There are others as well:

Boston - Jagr

Ottawa - Latendresse

Toronto - Grabovski

Detroit - Brunner, Cleary

Well stated my friend

You can also do the same thing the other way. Just look at what the teams in the division lost!

Detroit minus Filppula

The following players can also be lost by those teams. There are others as well:

Boston - Jagr

Ottawa - Latendresse

Toronto - Grabovski

I get that they lost players, but on the overall picture they all seemed to improve. Frustrating when watching Sportsnet and all the "winners" of the offseason so far are in the same Division as Montreal.

As I said before though, something has to be coming... I'll wait and see what rolls out... BUT, at this point, playoffs look like a stretch.

I get that they lost players, but on the overall picture they all seemed to improve. Frustrating when watching Sportsnet and all the "winners" of the offseason so far are in the same Division as Montreal.

As I said before though, something has to be coming... I'll wait and see what rolls out... BUT, at this point, playoffs look like a stretch.

Last year, it was the same story and most of those teams did worse than the Habs. I don't think the habs are contenders, but Many of those teams won't be better. Toronto is the only team I think really got better, and they are not that much better. They still have a problem of what to do with Kessel and Phaneauf.

Games aren't really won on draft day or free agency frenzy day. Just ask Minnesota who added Parise and Suter last offseason. Same can be said about the Rangers who added Nash and got worse. Penguins were winners of deadline day with Morrow, Iginla, and Murray and funny thing is the team that lost out to Iginla ends up winning.

The way I view the habs is if we get the all-star Carey Price we can contend not only for playoffs but for cup. If we get the afraid to get his groceries Price we'll struggle for that last playoff spot and have another first round exit if we do get in. We don't have the team up front to make up for weak goaltending. I am counting on Price bouncing back however.

That being said I don't mind going into the season with this exact team. Even though it's a small sample size Bergevin has already shown he is willing to give young players a chance, make a trade during the season, and play the waiver wire if he thinks it'll improve the team. I'm mainly banking on Eller breaking out this year and brining galchenyuk along for the ride and having a pissed off motivated wolverine!

I agree that many of the contracts were ridiculous.. But Montreal has the pieces to put a better offer for Ryan on the table...

Just look at what teams in the division did...

Boston adds Erikkson, Iginla, and Prospects

Ottawa adds Ryan, MacArthur,

Toronto adds Bolland, Clarkson, Brennen, Bernier

Detroit adds Weiss, Alfredson

You just can't sit and wait for draft picks to develop... There's no guarantee that those picks will even work.. You have to make moves to improve.. Why does it seem like many other teams are doing so while we wait...

Other side of that coin though.

Boston loses Horton, Seguin, Jagr, Peverley and Ference.

Ottawa loses Alfredsson

Leafs lose Grabovski, Frattin, MacArthur,

Detroit loses Filpulla, Brunner, White, Coliacovo,

WHat have we lost? Ryder?

You know, as much as the other teams are "getting stronger" we did have a young team who is getting older. If Les Gallies, Eller, Price, Tinordi and Beaulieu all take the next step, it's better than bringing in an overpriced UFA - they're all cheaper and are already on the cusp of something special.

Other side of that coin though.

Boston loses Horton, Seguin, Jagr, Peverley and Ference.

Ottawa loses Alfredsson

Leafs lose Grabovski, Frattin, MacArthur,

Detroit loses Filpulla, Brunner, White, Coliacovo,

WHat have we lost? Ryder?

Ottawa got better despite losing Alfredson.

Boston in the short term is slightly better or about the same (long term losing Seguin is going to rival the Thornton trade)

Leafs got better with their additions versus their deletions, but I also think that like us the short season benefited them.

Detroit got a lot better with their pickups and I still think they will add to the blue line.

We haven't got a replacement to start the year without Emelin which will hurt and like the leafs, I don't think we would have have finished as high as we did in the standings.

You know, as much as the other teams are "getting stronger" we did have a young team who is getting older. If Les Gallies, Eller, Price, Tinordi and Beaulieu all take the next step, it's better than bringing in an overpriced UFA - they're all cheaper and are already on the cusp of something special.

Beaulieau's ability to crack the lineup and Tinordi's progression are definite wild cards. But depending on rookies or sophmores is risky - lets not forget that we have to hope gally squared won't suffer the dreaded sophmore jinx.

Ottawa got better but ho boy do people overrate Bobby Ryan.

Leafs hardly got better. Clarkson is good but once again, extremely overrated.

Detroit didn't get better. Is Weiss really that better than Filppula? Is Alfredsson going to be better for them than Brunner? Doubtful.

Also, Tinordi was by far the most ready player in the Development Camps last week. Without question he's an NHLer.

Also, Tinordi was by far the most ready player in the Development Camps last week. Without question he's an NHLer.

That's good to hear. I like Tinordi a lot and hope he starts the year with the Habs.

Subban - Gorges

Markov - Diaz

Tinordi - Bouillon

Emelin (hurt)

Drewiske

Beaulieu

I gotta think that MB will add another defenceman via trade or UFA?

Ottawa got better but ho boy do people overrate Bobby Ryan.

Leafs hardly got better. Clarkson is good but once again, extremely overrated.

Detroit didn't get better. Is Weiss really that better than Filppula? Is Alfredsson going to be better for them than Brunner? Doubtful.

Not questioning whether Tinordi is an NHL'er and being the most ready in development camp isn't being ready to be effective against Lucic and the Bruins. Question is will he take enough of a step forward to mitigate not having Emelin to start the year - given that we havne't replaced Emelin.

I'd take Clarkson, Bolland and Bernier over Garbage, Scrivens and MacCarther.

Bobby Ryan with Spezza should be dynamite. Not a big MacCarther fan, but he does bring more toughness.

I disagree on Alfie and Weiss not being an upgrade on Filppula and Brunner. Alfie will be a guy the wings rally around like the Avs rallyed around Bourque.

I don't think you can play the game of "gee, Team X got 'better' [supposedly] so we have to do something!!!" I've heard that remark during the summer practically every season I can remember with the possible exception of 2009. We've made the playoffs every one of those years, save one.

What you can do is look at the team you've got. We've got a quality team with too many small forwards and we are a rugged defenceman shy of an effective d-corps. If we fix the latter problem, I suspect we will be a handful and maybe win a playoff round or even two. Don't worry about the Jonses, they'll have their own problems.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can play the game of "gee, Team X got 'better' [supposedly] so we have to do something!!!" I've heard that remark during the summer practically every season I can remember with the possible exception of 2009. We've made the playoffs every one of those years, save one.

What you can do is look at the team you've got. We've got a quality team with too many small forwards and we are a rugged defenceman shy of an effective d-corps. If we fix the latter problem, I suspect we will be a handful and maybe win a playoff round or even two. Don't worry about the Jonses, they'll have their own problems.

This year's different. With the realignment, making the playoffs is going to be much more difficult. In the past only the division leaders were gauranteed a playoff spot and the other 5 teams in the conference fought it out. We are now n one of the toughest conferences in the league (granted the two florida teams and buffalo will be gimmees for a couple of years).

Detroit minus Filppula

Boston - Jagr

Ottawa - Latendresse

Toronto - Grabovski

Any chance we bring back Lats? I always kinda liked him and he would add size (although it may be a stretch to say he adds toughness)

How did Boston get better short term?

Seguin has outscored Eriksson in each of the last two years.

Then you have Horton who is better than Iginla at this stage of Iggy's career.

Then you lose Peverley, Jagr, and Ference (a top 4 D for them) with no replacement..... where is the improvement?

How did Ottawa get better short term?

Out: Gonchar, Alfredsson, Silfverberg, Latendresse

In: Ryan, MacArthur.....

Seems to me thats a downgrade as well, as I don't see how Gonchar was replaced.

Not questioning whether Tinordi is an NHL'er and being the most ready in development camp isn't being ready to be effective against Lucic and the Bruins. Question is will he take enough of a step forward to mitigate not having Emelin to start the year - given that we havne't replaced Emelin.

I'd take Clarkson, Bolland and Bernier over Garbage, Scrivens and MacCarther.

Bobby Ryan with Spezza should be dynamite. Not a big MacCarther fan, but he does bring more toughness.

I disagree on Alfie and Weiss not being an upgrade on Filppula and Brunner. Alfie will be a guy the wings rally around like the Avs rallyed around Bourque.

Clarke McArthur brings Toughness? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

Really?

Really?

Clarke MacArthur is tough? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Saw on Montreal Canadiens web site that Parros has taken #15.

Mysteriously, Briere #48 isn't listed.

As I noted the other day, Briere's contract hasn't been registered with the league yet. I'm not sure what the hold up is but I imagine that will get sorted out soon.

Any chance we bring back Lats? I always kinda liked him and he would add size (although it may be a stretch to say he adds toughness)

I wanted us to sign him last summer, but the thing with Lats is, where's he gonna play? Galy has eaten up that spot. Unless Bourque totally flops (which is not beyond the realm of possibility) I don't see much room for him at LW.

Clarke McArthur brings Toughness? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

Really?

Really?

Clarke MacArthur is tough? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Guy may have made a mistake. Relax.We're not all perfect

• Upvote 1

Well, for what it's worth Mr. I'll Only Fight If They RSVP My Engraved Invitations says The Moustache intimidates nobody:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201307/09/01-4669016-laraque-boston-naura-pas-peur-de-parros.php

Basic translation: Parros is a nice guy and a gamer, but he's just not tough enough to be scary, and the Habs need scary being in the toughest division in hockey.

There are no scary fighters in the NHL anymore. Parros is as close as you get. I know a lot of people were gushing about John Scott and how big and imposing he is but here's John Scott vs. George Parros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFVf_ve9gyM

As you can see, Scott has the reach advantage but Parros is so well grounded it doesn't do much. The fight ends when Parros catches Scott with a jab that knocks him off his feet.

Laraque should stick to what he's good at. Which I have no idea what that is.

• Upvote 1

There are no scary fighters in the NHL anymore. Parros is as close as you get. I know a lot of people were gushing about John Scott and how big and imposing he is but here's John Scott vs. George Parros:

As you can see, Scott has the reach advantage but Parros is so well grounded it doesn't do much. The fight ends when Parros catches Scott with a jab that knocks him off his feet.

Eating, is my guess.

Great play by play in that fight. I give Scott the edge, though, although you're right that Parros acquits himself competently and gets the final shot in.

• Upvote 1

Eating, is my guess.

Great play by play in that fight. I give Scott the edge, though, although you're right that Parros acquits himself competently and gets the final shot in.

Parros is a 12 rounds fighter if I can mix my sports up. If you watch his fights on YouTube he always fights longer than most. He doesn't really try to knock a guy out. He prefers to just punch them for a long time. John Scott connected more hits but Parros rarely looks beat up from his fights. There's a good long one he had with Colton Orr where if the referees allowed it to go any longer, Colton Orr would have no equipment on and Parros would still be punching him long after the game is over. I think that's why Laraque isn't impressed with him. Laraque wants to see what he thinks he was. Instead, Parros would rather grab a guy and punch them until they think twice about fighting him again.

Also, Parros is the kind of guy who if he gets a shot at a top line player for a brutal check he'll take it. I like that about him. Otherwise we're getting a four to six minute player we put in the lineup in certain division battles.

The closest thing to a hockey player that guys like John Scott and George Parros have fought is Shawn Thornton. Laraque is just due for some publicity; between this and accusing someone of slashing his tires due to his involvement in the CHL union, I don't think he's right upstairs. Definitely "traveling light." Parros will be another Laraque-like player, maybe not towards the end, but his involvement in "physicality" will be fights against the 5-7 super heavyweights in the conference. I'm sure he'll have a better season than with the Panthers (who would want to play on that team last year) but his benefit to the team will be judged strictly on entertainment value, and players like DD/Gallagher wil be more comfortable on the ice. And hey, that's more than enough to take Colby Armstong's locker, but he's not going to settle any scores with the rats of the league.

• Upvote 1