George Parros to Montreal for Phillipe Lefebvre and a 7th in 2014

To the people that don't like the Parros signing and think we have no size/toughness issues.

* “Few teams respected us physically” – Francis Bouillon

Bouillon hailed the deal that brought the big man Parros to Montreal.

“In our division, which has also Toronto, Boston and Ottawa, it is important to get bigger, to get a player that will give confidence to the many small players,” said Bouillon

” This is a guy that will make the organization respected. I don’t think many teams had respect for physical aspect of our team.”

To the people that don't like the Parros signing and think we have no size/toughness issues.

* “Few teams respected us physically” – Francis Bouillon

Bouillon hailed the deal that brought the big man Parros to Montreal.

“In our division, which has also Toronto, Boston and Ottawa, it is important to get bigger, to get a player that will give confidence to the many small players,” said Bouillon

” This is a guy that will make the organization respected. I don’t think many teams had respect for physical aspect of our team.”

I don't like goons, but OK, I'm convinced that Parros will make the Habs feel tougher, so this signing is fine with me.

As for the myth of Montreal-hating UFAs, I was thinking about this - let's make a list of some notable UFAs who've signed here in recent years.

-Brian Gionta

-Mike Cammalleri

-Hal Gill

-Travis Moen

-Erik Cole

-Brandon Prust

-Peter Budaj

-Daniel Briere

-Jaroslav Spacek

This is an incomplete list, but it includes 4 top-6 forwards (Gio, Cammy, Briere, Cole). For God's sake let's put this myth to rest.

I don't like goons, but OK, I'm convinced that Parros will make the Habs feel tougher, so this signing is fine with me.

As for the myth of Montreal-hating UFAs, I was thinking about this - let's make a list of some notable UFAs who've signed here in recent years.

-Brian Gionta

-Mike Cammalleri

-Hal Gill

-Travis Moen

-Erik Cole

-Brandon Prust

-Peter Budaj

-Daniel Briere

-Jaroslav Spacek

This is an incomplete list, but it includes 4 top-6 forwards (Gio, Cammy, Briere, Cole). For God's sake let's put this myth to rest.

but if a player is looking for max net $$, Quebec is that last place you would want to work.

Laraque should explain to us how useful he was to us when he signed here? The only fear he put into anyone was a buffet owner. What a waste of space. I am glad we sign parros even if it is for only a few games he will play. It will allow prust to play hockey and not be in the box as often.

That idiot should be taped to a chair with his eyes propped open and forced to watch a video of all his shifts with the Habs, then asked if he feels the same about Parros. I don't know how Parros will do here, and I'm not a fan at all of fighting in hockey, but I've seen Laraques sorry antics, and I was not impressed. Perhaps politics is the right arena for this idiot.

I get that they lost players, but on the overall picture they all seemed to improve. Frustrating when watching Sportsnet and all the "winners" of the offseason so far are in the same Division as Montreal.

As I said before though, something has to be coming... I'll wait and see what rolls out... BUT, at this point, playoffs look like a stretch.

Actually, I believe Boston was fleeced on that trade with Dallas. I think Toronto paid a heavy price for Clarkson, but I think they are an improved team. Ottawa is a team I've really been impressed with the last few years too. I am, however, content to actually build through the draft, its the only way to build a contender.

Toronto is certainly better in the short-term. We'll see how they feel about the Clarkson contract in three or four years (I'm pretty sure they'll feel bad about it!). Ottawa is better with Ryan, although Alfie was a pretty good cog for them, so it's possible they won't see that much of a leap forward. Boston made a trade they will live to regret, and I'm not sure that Iginla is the impact player he once was, so it's hard to say in their case. Could amount to treading water given the loss of Horton. All three sacrificed the future for the present to some degree (either in the form of sacrificing cap space long-term, or shipping out impressive young assets). We didn't.

And as for the present, I'm not panicking. Like I've said before, you can only tend your own garden - fans are always in a tizzy about what other teams have done, but the Habs almost always make the playoffs regardless. Indeed, continued improvement from Eller and Galy and a stronger season from Patches could very possibly combine to equal the impact of a big-name UFA signing. We do need to work on the D, but for now, stay cool.

Toronto is technically better. Re-signing Bozak was a mistake. Clarkson is a more interesting case. You have to compare him to Mikhail Grabovski.

Clarkson is 29, Toronto native. Signed eight years at $5.25M per season. He's a good puck possession player. His last five seasons for scoring were 85 goals and 59 assists for 144 points in 338 games. He brings a lot of grit and is a natural winger.

Grabovski is also 29. Belarus. Just last year Brian Burke signed him on a five year deal at $5.5M per season. Grabovski is a good puck possession player. His last five seasons for scoring were 91 goals and 117 assists for 208 points in 340 games. He's a chippy player but not "naturally physical" and is a natural center.

So Toronto bought out Grabovski because he made too much to be a third line center in Toronto's mind. Toronto decided this because Kessel and Grabovski have bad chemistry and Toronto for some reason doesn't want to put their most talented center in Nazem Kadri between Phil Kessel. Okay. So you re-sign Bozak who is by no means a better player than Grabovski, buy out Grabovski and sign David Clarkson, who in the past five seasons is not at goal scoring and certainly not at playmaking to Grabovski and it's not like you can claim New Jersey didn't have fire power in that same time frame (Kovalchuk, Parise, Zajac, Elias, etc.).

Did Toronto really get better?

Guest Stogey24

Because he could barely play at the AHL level.

Haha. Just for rouhgin people up I meant. Signed with the Ducks.

Why didn't Montreal ever call up Stortini from Hamilton for some grit?

Because he could barely play at the AHL level.

As noted above, he was beyond awful in Hamilton. How he got a raise and an NHL deal I'll never know. The real answer to your question though, is that he was never actually under contract with Montreal, just on a minor league deal so he was unavailable to be called up.

Guest Stogey24

As noted above, he was beyond awful in Hamilton. How he got a raise and an NHL deal I'll never know. The real answer to your question though, is that he was never actually under contract with Montreal, just on a minor league deal so he was unavailable to be called up.

Yeah,I was wondering about that contract situation.

Habs are hoping Conner Crisp is the answer in the future, is he eligible to play AHL or ECHL hockey this year? In a perfect world, he would turn into a Chris Neal type (I know we all hate him, but what a bonus to have a tough guy who intimidates everyone he can and takes regular, effective shifts).

No-- I believe he is only 19 which would put him a year away except for his junior team ending year -exemption

You're correct - he's just 19 which makes him too young and he only has three years of OHL experience (if he had four, he could go down, much like Beaulieu did this past year).

Why didn't Montreal ever call up Stortini from Hamilton for some grit?

Because he's not a good player or a good fighter....

You're correct - he's just 19 which makes him too young and he only has three years of OHL experience (if he had four, he could go down, much like Beaulieu did this past year).

Its all about birthdate.... 19 and December 31st or earlier birthdate... AHL.... Jan 1st or later CHL

• 2 months later...

Well, for what it's worth Mr. I'll Only Fight If They RSVP My Engraved Invitations says The Moustache intimidates nobody:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201307/09/01-4669016-laraque-boston-naura-pas-peur-de-parros.php

Basic translation: Parros is a nice guy and a gamer, but he's just not tough enough to be scary, and the Habs need scary being in the toughest division in hockey.

But fighting doesn't belong in hockey? How's life on the fence today. Maybe you are right, we need someone tougher. No wait, we need fighting removed, no wait.....

But fighting doesn't belong in hockey? How's life on the fence today. Maybe you are right, we need someone tougher. No wait, we need fighting removed, no wait.....

Sigh. I never said the Habs should martyr themselves. If fighting is allowed, and other teams have bruisers who intimidate us and push us around, then we need to respond in kind. I've said the same thing about vicious attempts to injure - if other teams are sending out Matt Cookes to blow out our guys' knees, and the NHL is not doing anything about this, then we should do the same. But that doesn't mean I think it's desirable to have Matt Cookes going around blowing out peoples' knees.

It's the difference between structure (rules, norms) and behaviour within that structure. The debate about fighting is a debate about what the rules should be; it's not some pious argument that the Habs should like down and get the crap kicked out of them nightly because we don't like fighting.