Habs re-sign Mayer (2 yrs), sign Martin St. Pierre and Nick Tarnasky (1 year)

dlbalr

I do like the Tarnasky signing. I thought he was decent in Tampa.

That was a while ago. He was a 3rd/4th liner with Rochester last year and hasn't seen NHL action for a few years now.

Write-up on these deals: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3131

St. Pierre is by far the most noteworthy for me. He's a consistent 60-70 point AHL'er; by comparison, the Bulldogs had a couple of 30 point guys last year as their best. This is the type of signing - a high end AHL'er - that they've needed for a while. They paid a lot of money by AHL standards to bring him in too.

Tarnasky may be able to play a 3rd line role in Hamilton or be a quality 4th liner. That's another nice add, I'll be curious to see what it cost to get him signed.

As for Mayer...everyone here knows my bewilderment with regards to their commitment to him. Depth is nice I suppose...as long as he doesn't play much. Since he signed a 2 year deal, I fear the starting job in Hamilton is his to lose. (And will Tokarski be on the move?)

Is Mayer better than Yann Danis? He signed with Philly yesterday.

Not even close, Danis is way Better, has maintained a .911 SV% and 2.71 GAA in 50 NHL GP while Mayer has lower stats in the AHL! Sure, Danis is 32 and Mayer is 23, but i'd rather have Danis than Mayer as an AHL goalie, as Danis manages to have good stats in the AHL!

I like signing St.Pierre, he likely never gets a sniff with the Habs but he has a huge role in developping guys like Leblanc, Andrighetto, Thomas and others.

Someone needs to be able to get these wingers the puck, if we want to develop them.

• Upvote 1

When are they gonna give up on Mayer? It's rageworthy.

Maybe good to have a plan B in case Tokarski is claimed off waivers when they try to send him down after training camp. Im sure most teams could use him so I expect him to get claimed. Don't really understand the rules on the claiming though. If he is claimed does that mean he has to be on the NHL roster of the claiming team? If thats the case we could probably sneak him down to Hamilton

Maybe good to have a plan B in case Tokarski is claimed off waivers when they try to send him down after training camp. Im sure most teams could use him so I expect him to get claimed. Don't really understand the rules on the claiming though. If he is claimed does that mean he has to be on the NHL roster of the claiming team? If thats the case we could probably sneak him down to Hamilton

If a player is claimed off of waivers, they must stay on the NHL roster. If that team tries to send him down, they'd have to re-expose him. If he clears upon being re-exposed, then he can be sent down. For what it's worth, Mayer has to clear waivers...ah, who am I kidding, he wouldn't be claimed.

Yeah he will have to stay in the NHL if claimed.

If a player is claimed off of waivers, they must stay on the NHL roster. If that team tries to send him down, they'd have to re-expose him. If he clears upon being re-exposed, then he can be sent down. For what it's worth, Mayer has to clear waivers...ah, who am I kidding, he wouldn't be claimed.

Logic would have also dictated that he wouldn't be signed....

Logic would have also dictated that he wouldn't be signed....

There's 'Habs' logic when it comes to Mayer (whatever compromising photos, hypnosis, etc that made them re-sign him) and the 'rest of the league' logic. I don't think the rest of the league suffers from whatever ailment that makes Montreal's management think he's useful.

If only that was George St Pierre. Think of the smack down when someone irritated a player in Montreal. We wouldn't need a fourth "line" just him.

I don't have the contract info for Mayer yet but I do for the other two:

St. Pierre: NHL salary $550,000, AHL $225,000 (I think that's the highest they've paid a player on a TW deal before)

Tarnasky: NHL salary $550,000, AHL $125,000

Does Tanarsky have any chance to play for the Habs or is just an AHL plug ?

I would imagine just an AHL guy but if there were 4th line injuries to guys like Parros, White, or Blunden (whether he's with the Habs or in Hamilton), he might get a call. I'd put his odds of being recalled higher than St. Pierre though despite the fact that St. Pierre will have much more of an impact on the Bulldogs.