Dustin Tokarski re-signs a one year deal

dlbalr

I am really happy about this.... please release Mayer.

Considering they just gave him a two year deal last month, that's not going to happen. I suspect Mayer will still get a lot of starts because of the two year commitment.

It took an awful long time but Dustin Tokarski finally signed a one year contract. Financial terms aren't yet known but I'm anxious to see how close the NHL portion is to his qualifying offer.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680461

boy it sure seems that tokarsky gets no respect, glad we signed him. I don't what the hold up was, he certainly has shown very good numbers over the years. I hope he gets a real shot and that Mayer doesn't get treated better by the coaching staff for no reason other that he has pictures of someone with a goat.

Having seen the contract details, the holdup was due to the Habs seriously lowballing him. He gets $575k at the NHL level ($85,000 below his QO). In exchange for the NHL salary drop, he gets $80k (a paltry $15,000 raise) at the AHL level. By comparison, Mayer's getting $100k in Hamilton this year.

Having seen the contract details, the holdup was due to the Habs seriously lowballing him. He gets $575k at the NHL level ($85,000 below his QO). In exchange for the NHL salary drop, he gets $80k (a paltry $15,000 raise) at the AHL level. By comparison, Mayer's getting $100k in Hamilton this year.

*flips over table*

I can't-I don't even... I mean what the shit, man?

Is he Jesus? He's, like, Jesus right?

Mayer is actually Jesus. Confirmed.

What boggles me is it isn't just that say, one gm had some love for Mayer. They all continuously seem to have this profound hope for him coming from no where. Must have some blackmail on molson. Hahah

hmmm beginning to wonder if MB is really cheap. He seems to really hold the line on the cheaper players. This and White and Subban. This may not me good for future negotiations with players who count.

What boggles me is it isn't just that say, one gm had some love for Mayer. They all continuously seem to have this profound hope for him coming from no where. Must have some blackmail on molson. Hahah

At this point, I'm hoping Stephane Waite gets enough of a look at Mayer during camp and points out to whoever winds up being the goalie coach in Hamilton (I'm not sure if Vincent Riendeau is back or whether Marco Marciano will add that to his palate) that there's not much hope with him. I mentioned this on Twitter last night that if I had to make a realistic guess (and not the conspiracy theories which are much more fun), they preference with Mayer is his size - the organization prioritizes size on most goalies and Tokarski isn't 6'0 let alone taller. Therefore they believe more in his potential at the NHL level since Tokarski would be too small to succeed. For the record, I disagree with this theory but that would be my guess as to what they're thinking.

hmmm beginning to wonder if MB is really cheap. He seems to really hold the line on the cheaper players. This and White and Subban. This may not me good for future negotiations with players who count.

They gave Mayer a raise quickly. Dumont nearly doubled his AHL money and secured additional guarantees on top of it (reportedly $50,000 per year). Blunden got a raise, St. Pierre is I believe the highest two-way player in franchise history, and Tarnasky got a six figure salary to play in Hamilton. In terms of AHL'ers, they just picked on Tokarski.

As for White, don't forget he took less than his QO willingly (the QO was a two-way deal, he took less for a one-way, very common throughout the league...although it usually doesn't require filing for arbitration). In Subban's case, it has been debated extensively already but it appears management is following prior organizational policies to not give the big deal out of ELC's. I wouldn't equate either of these to being cheap.

At this point, I'm hoping Stephane Waite gets enough of a look at Mayer during camp and points out to whoever winds up being the goalie coach in Hamilton (I'm not sure if Vincent Riendeau is back or whether Marco Marciano will add that to his palate) that there's not much hope with him. I mentioned this on Twitter last night that if I had to make a realistic guess (and not the conspiracy theories which are much more fun), they preference with Mayer is his size - the organization prioritizes size on most goalies and Tokarski isn't 6'0 let alone taller. Therefore they believe more in his potential at the NHL level since Tokarski would be too small to succeed. For the record, I disagree with this theory but that would be my guess as to what they're thinking.

They gave Mayer a raise quickly. Dumont nearly doubled his AHL money and secured additional guarantees on top of it (reportedly $50,000 per year). Blunden got a raise, St. Pierre is I believe the highest two-way player in franchise history, and Tarnasky got a six figure salary to play in Hamilton. In terms of AHL'ers, they just picked on Tokarski.

As for White, don't forget he took less than his QO willingly (the QO was a two-way deal, he took less for a one-way, very common throughout the league...although it usually doesn't require filing for arbitration). In Subban's case, it has been debated extensively already but it appears management is following prior organizational policies to not give the big deal out of ELC's. I wouldn't equate either of these to being cheap.

ok if you say so but I am beginning to wonder.

Brian, can we put in an interview request for one of the Habs scouts and ask them what the hell we are missing with Mayer? (amongst other questions)

I need to know what they see.

Even if I could, you'll get a typical organizational response - prototypical frame, slow but steady improvement, potential late bloomer, etc.