Douglas Murray Signed

nhfarber

Well, I'll let the price tag dictate my thoughts on the signing. I said last month there are areas to his game where I don't think he's a quality NHL player, but he will add toughness.

At this point, the Habs are only calling it 'an agreement in principle' so it's not signed yet (pending a physical).

Better than nothing, I suppose. I'm glad to see that MB recognized the need to do something to shore up the physicality of the blueline in Emelin's absence - this shows that he wasn't just putting his hands over his ears going "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" to the obvious facts of the universe. However, Murray's footspeed is notorious and you have to think it's going to be a challenge for the coaching staff to use him in such a way that his physicality will make the desired impact, without hurting us in other ways.

Probably a decent patchup move. The only real question is whether Fistric would have been a better signing, I guess.

No question he's a declining player, but I'm ok with it if you figure we'll really only need him to contribute significantly until Emelin returns.

Yeah - even in the worst case scenario (i.e., he slips to 7th on the depth-chart) there's no way this signing can hurt us. Clearly, Bergevin decided that he wasn't willing to move assets or commit cap-space longer-term to fill the (hopefully-temporary) void left by Emelin. At that point, a signing of this lukewarm variety became inevitable. If he can function as an effective, hard-hitting #5 defenceman in the mode of Igor Ulanaov until Emelin returns, this will prove a canny move.

Good depth signing, especially in Emelin's absence. He's no saviour on D, but I believe he's more than adequate back there. And if Tinordi is to push him out of that spot, well then we're even better off.

Well he's big and slow so it sounds like Hal Gill 2. He can help on the pk and he shot blocks. Just don't let him get past our blue line, he won't make it back. If they sign him for 1-1.5 million, I would say it is a good deal. He made 2.5 i believe last year but in this marketplace he is not going to get that.

I have a feeling the reports on Emelin aren't good to return in November.

He's slower than a 386 trying to run Quake but if Emelin is going to be out for half of the season, it's a good move to make.

We now have an overflow of forwards and blueliners. Gotta be some moves coming up.

I have a feeling the reports on Emelin aren't good to return in November.

He's slower than a 386 trying to run Quake but if Emelin is going to be out for half of the season, it's a good move to make.

We now have an overflow of forwards and blueliners. Gotta be some moves coming up.

Perhaps, but I never had a problem with "overflow" myself. Internal competition for roster spots is a good thing.

I don't think Murray is Hal Gill 2.0, because Gill actually wasn't very physical and Murray supposedly is. On the other hand, nobody could rival Gill's shot-blocking prowess on the PK.

1.5 mil seems fine to me on a one-year deal.

Talking to Sharks and Penguins fans I don't have very much faith in this.

Sounds to me like we signed Mike Komisarek in 2012-2013. He's playing his way out of the NHL at this point.

Ah well. If he does poorly and Tinordi proves himself an NHLer like I expect, Murray will just go on waivers and maybe be expected to play in the AHL. Like Komisarek in 2012-2013.

Nice job, Brian! Looking at his stats, I may be underrating him a bit...lots of hits and lots of blocked shots - footspeed issues aside, these are attributes this team desperately needs. Used properly this guy could really help us. :thumbs_up: And between him and Parros, there is no denying that today's Habs are better-placed to compete in the 'physical toughness' department. I predict, therefore, that Murray will suffer a cataclysmic injury sometimes around Game Two of the regular season, because that's how it goes for the CH.

I'm ecstatic about this signing. This is the guy I wanted Bergevin to pursue on July 1. You guys will see what he brings to this club, he's going to be invaluable as a 5 Dman, and Fraser McLaren best believe he won't be tangling with Josh Gorges again next year. Murray doesn't fight a lot, but when he does, he wins. He is big and mean.

People are going on about his footspeed. The man is 6'4", 240ibs. They didn't bring him in for his footspeed, and who is quick when they are that size. He's there to intimidate, hit, and block shots. He will do all of those things, and he won't be placed on waiver when Emelin is back.

At 1.5 million and 1 year, its little risk.

Yes he sucked last year, but he wasn't bad in 2011-12 and before that.

At worst he ends up in the press box or Hamilton.

At best he helps til Emelin comes back (and maybe on the third pair afterwards).

Still its a very low risk signing for some depth.

Great signing at that term/amount..

Murray is a physical speciman that brings much need grit and crease clearing ability to the back end...How many times have we seen opposing players in Price's grill, this past year?

He is NOT a Hal Gill...He is meaner, tougher, and hits like a Mack truck..He may not be as swift footed as we would like, but he brings an element we are weak in..Especially, on the blueline..

At 1.5 million and 1 year, its little risk.

Yes he sucked last year, but he wasn't bad in 2011-12 and before that.

At worst he ends up in the press box or Hamilton.

At best he helps til Emelin comes back (and maybe on the third pair afterwards).

Still its a very low risk signing for some depth.

It's certainly not a major issue. Anyone thinking we're getting a top four defenceman is being silly though. Sharks fans have hated his in zone play since 2010. At best we're getting a physicality upgrade to our third pairing. Lord knows we don't need to see Markov and Murray together losing puck races on every shift.

I still have a feeling come camp/exhibition, Tinordi is going to win a permanent spot on the roster.

He is NOT a Hal Gill...He is meaner, tougher, and hits like a Mack truck..He may not be as swift footed as we would like, but he brings an element we are weak in..Especially, on the blueline..

You're certainly right about the lack of foot speed...Gill might actually be able to beat him in a race.

I'd put him above Bouillon. Although I don't think the contract should be more than $2m for 1yr. Frankly I don't think he is worth more than $1.5m, but than there is the Quebec premium.

Yeah - even in the worst case scenario (i.e., he slips to 7th on the depth-chart) there's no way this signing can hurt us. Clearly, Bergevin decided that he wasn't willing to move assets or commit cap-space longer-term to fill the (hopefully-temporary) void left by Emelin. At that point, a signing of this lukewarm variety became inevitable. If he can function as an effective, hard-hitting #5 defenceman in the mode of Igor Ulanaov until Emelin returns, this will prove a canny move.

At $1.5, he is a definite ungraded on the cube.

looks like 1.5 million, a bit higher than i'd have liked but really not all that bad. He made 2.5 last year.