Douglas Murray Signed

nhfarber

At $1.5, he is a definite ungraded on the cube.

I thought he was signed at 1.5?

Funny, on Hockey Inside Out they are ecstatic; while the commenters at Eyes on the Prize are overwhelmingly negative. More proof that for balanced discussion this forum is the place to go :B)

Going back a couple of years, I prefer the approach of signing Murray as a physical dman fill in prior to the season, rather than going and fetching a Kaberle 3 months into the season for an injured Markov.

I'd prefer Emelin in the lineup, but the rotating door of dman after he was injured showed that there really wasn't a suitable replacement in house for him and what he provides. I think Tinordi would do well to start the year in Hamilton (has he bulked up at all?). Currently, the Habs only have 1 veteran dman signed beyond next season (Gorges). Murray, Bouillon, Markov, Emelin, and Diaz will be UFA, Subban RFA. That would seem to indicate that the kids should get more than a glancing look at some point during the season

Interesting... if Tinordi proves in training camp that he should stay in the NHL, then Drewiske starts in Hamilton (or gets picked off waivers) and Tinordi, Bouillon and Murray platoon as 5-6-7 defensemen.

SO, before Emelin gets back, if Tinordi does well out of training camp, our piars should look something like this:

Markov - Subban

Gorges - Diaz

Murray - Tinordi

Not gonna lie, for a 3rd pair, you have 2 stay at home guys that won't let you stay in front of the net and will hit. Markov will have to eat extra minutes until Emelin comes back and then I have a feeling we'll see Subban/Gorges, Markov/Emelin reunited. Leaving Murray/Tinordi/Boullion, in that order imho, fighting it out for the 6th spot. Any way you look at it, it's a great depth signing.

I think Tinordi would do well to start the year in Hamilton (has he bulked up at all?).

I seem to recall reading that he's put on some weight this offseason.

Not gonna lie, for a 3rd pair, you have 2 stay at home guys that won't let you stay in front of the net and will hit.

The issue is that both can easily be beaten to the far side - Tinordi is a good skater for his size but no one's going to call him a speedster. I'd absolutely have Tinordi in the minors to start the year (but obviously the first injury callup). I think he can be fully ready with a half season of 25+ minutes per game and really make an impact then. Whether then he plays alongside Murray or replaces him remains to be seen but that would be my preference.

Funny, on Hockey Inside Out they are ecstatic; while the commenters at Eyes on the Prize are overwhelmingly negative. More proof that for balanced discussion this forum is the place to go :B)

Tell me about it! EOTP have Murray behind Drewiske on the depth chart! They're also questionning Bergevin's sanity with this signing. Pretty crazy stuff over there.

I like the signing and have no problem with Tinordi and Beaulieu starting the year in Hamilton, getting top d-pairing minutes. Once they've proven everything they can there, Bouillon and Murray will be off the books and they can slide in perfectly for the 2014-2015 season.

I really don't like the opinions I see there. The issue is that they worship at the altar of advanced statistics, so because their opinions are backed up by (purely subjective) numbers, they are more dogmatic about their opinions.

That Andrew Berkshire actually had MAGNUS NYGREN making the top-6 which is a laugh. I guess everyone's opinions are valid, but if everything is based on advanced stats, why did Bergevin and Therrien get Murray and Parros? Plus, if you're wondering why all the opinions are the same, it's because Berkshire will shout down, if not IP ban (like me) dissenting opinions. Serious loser.

The advanced stats gang are the new "salary cap guys." For instance, if you liked this contract at 1.5 million, many would hate it at 2. Why is that?

I really like this signing. I think Tinordi would have been ok learning on the fly, but this move tells me that Bergevin likes his team, and wants to hit the ground running. I don't know about the parades, but this could be the best Habs team in years, i've actually cancelled my Panthers season tickets, because I don't want to miss any of the games.

I really don't like the opinions I see there. The issue is that they worship at the altar of advanced statistics, so because their opinions are backed up by (purely subjective) numbers, they are more dogmatic about their opinions.

That Andrew Berkshire actually had MAGNUS NYGREN making the top-6 which is a laugh. I guess everyone's opinions are valid, but if everything is based on advanced stats, why did Bergevin and Therrien get Murray and Parros? Plus, if you're wondering why all the opinions are the same, it's because Berkshire will shout down, if not IP ban (like me) dissenting opinions. Serious loser.

I really like this signing. I think Tinordi would have been ok learning on the fly, but this move tells me that Bergevin likes his team, and wants to hit the ground running. I don't know about the parades, but this could be the best Habs team in years, i've actually cancelled my Panthers season tickets, because I don't want to miss any of the games.

Yeah, Berkshire can't handle a different opinion. It's a little sad and frustrating to see the comment section there.

It is entirely possible for two people to have completely different opinions about a topic and both be right.

Unless you disagree with a Berkshire article on EOTP.

The advanced stats gang are the new "salary cap guys." For instance, if you liked this contract at 1.5 million, many would hate it at 2. Why is that?

That entire community is a joke that is full of trolls, from most of the writers to most of the posters who aren't banned. A total time wasting site with barely any objective reading at all.

Said he had several offers from other teams but Bergevin was the deciding factor for signing here.

Love hearing this . Bergevin seems to have a way with a lot of players. Where'd you hear it?

Briere also said he was super impressed by Bergevin/Therrien

Love hearing this . Bergevin seems to have a way with a lot of players. Where'd you hear it?

Briere also said he was super impressed by Bergevin/Therrien

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article17337886.ab

It's in swedish but that is the biggest newspaper in Sweden.

I seem to recall reading that he's put on some weight this offseason.

The issue is that both can easily be beaten to the far side - Tinordi is a good skater for his size but no one's going to call him a speedster. I'd absolutely have Tinordi in the minors to start the year (but obviously the first injury callup). I think he can be fully ready with a half season of 25+ minutes per game and really make an impact then. Whether then he plays alongside Murray or replaces him remains to be seen but that would be my preference.

Like the Murray signing, seems a good no-frills veteran player and at a super price. A Craig Ludwig-type can be useful and was missing from this group.

This move should lessen the need to hurry Tinordi along to fill the physical role. I agree 25 minutes/game in Hamilton till new year should be good for his development.

Pateryn, Dietz, Nygren, Beaulieu and Ellis should all benefit from having Tinordi play with them.

Like the Murray signing, seems a good no-frills veteran player and at a super price. A Craig Ludwig-type can be useful and was missing from this group.

This move should lessen the need to hurry Tinordi along to fill the physical role. I agree 25 minutes/game in Hamilton till new year should be good for his development.

Pateryn, Dietz, Nygren, Beaulieu and Ellis should all benefit from having Tinordi play with them.

I might start lookin' for work in Hamilton..... :surrender: tabarnac!

I'm ok with both being beaten to the outside, as long as they use their size and don't let players on the inside. With Murray and Tinordi it's all about using their size to not let anyone on the inside. If they sit back enough they won't be beaten to the outside either, just the forwards need to know they will have little to no defense support in the attacking zone while Murray and Tinordi.

I do agree that if we can afford it to keep Tinordi in the minors, same as Beaulieu. When they can learn to dominate the AHL, they will have a better start to their career in the NHL.

I gotta say, I really like the way MB is going about adding depth at both forward and defence. The chance that the team will not be affected by injury is slim to none. Bergevin is making sure this team can withstand injuries by having NHL experienced players at the bottom of the lineup, ready to fill in. Much of this depth is disposable in the sense that Murray or Bouillon can be waived if they're underwhelming or are overtaken by a rookie like Tinordi.

At the price, there's really nothing to complain about. This is a contending team depth move. If this was a year or two ago, we would be debating if Murray was the #4 or #5 defenceman. Now, we're pretty unanimously saying he's a fill in/injury replacement. Our fan mentality is evolving, guys! (100% agree about the HIO/EOTP comments. HW is my first choice as well.)

Now I'm ready for October!

I like that with Murray, Parros, Prust, White and to a lesser extent Moen, we are alot meaner than last year. Hopefully should translate to allowing our skilled guys like Briere, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and co to do their business. I also like that we have another person who can clear the crease which we have been short of over the last few years imho. Good signing I think.

I am happy with this signing as it helps with Emelin gone.

As for starting Tinordi in Hamilton there is a lot of time, practice and pre seasons games to be played and people to be injured which undoubtedly will happen at some point.

Should the Habs fall out of the race this year and be a seller I think Murray could turn into a 2nd round draft pick. Remember the game is much slower in the playoffs and as we saw with how the Senators man handled the Canadiens the game gets more physical as well. If the Habs are in the race and make the playoffs Murray will be valuable asset that doesn't end up costing the Habs a pick or two.

The average team used 10 d-men last year, in just a 1/2 season, so for those who want Tinordi's jersey in the rafters already, there is no question that the best couple of Hamilton's d-men will get a shot and there is little question that Tinordi will get a call up sometime.

But, if not on roster right out of camp, no big deal as large defensive d-men have the most to learn (of the skaters). Gill took years to figure out how to play to his strengths and Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn likely started too early and were asked to do too much.

And maybe Tinordi was at development camp with all the kids and new draft picks for a reason? And his stage of development might be a big reason Bergevin called on Murray?

Now I finally feel like we're ready to start the season. Bring on training camp!

Without making too much out of Murrary, I agree. It is hugely reassuring to finally see the most glaringly immediate problem with our lineup (the absence of Emelin and the softness of the back end without him) finally addressed. Between Murray and Tinordi it is now reasonable to say that the hole has been patched up. Now I can stop worrying - both about the problem, and about the possibility that the GM somehow failed to see the need to address it - and look forward to the season!

Guest Stogey24

Montreal seems to be more balanced this year. Quality scorers up front and some more strength on the back end. I think Murray might end up having a bigger role than some people are expecting. The foot speed could be an issue at some point, but wow, he's a mean dude. He held his own against Parros. That's for sure.

You can never have enough NHL-caliber defensemen. Murray gives the team some options on a game-to-game basis. Dress him against Boston and Toronto, but sit him against faster teams.

He's the kind of guy you can flip at the deadline for a late draft pick if you want to, or simply toss him on waivers. I'm sure he'd be picked up given his well-priced, short term contract. Bergevin put himself in a position to have depth but also a way out if needed.

• Upvote 1