Rookie Camp - Official Roster

JoeLassister

The Habs don't participate in those. They used to way back when, but haven't for years.

I don't understand why other teams do it, to be honest. The amount of chippiness and fighting is way up from normal games in those, as players try and literally fight their way onto the roster. The Oilers lost a couple of defensemen to injuries in fights at these games a couple years back, guys they thought would make the NHL (Alex Plante, Colton Teubert).

I'd like to keep these kids healthy for games that matter.

I agree. I would say this however; we are now in day three of the rookie camp and so far the imformation coming our way has been scarce or non-existent. Blah blah blah. You got to know had there been any competion relative to another club that that imformation would have been shared. Given the risk that you have alluded to, I believe that the organization needs to step up how they promote their young charges at rookie camp.

The Habs have 40 players in their Rookie Camp right now (24 forwards, 12 defensemen, 4 goalies). Now if you split that evenly, you have two groups of 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Look familiar?

There are 3 scrimmages scheduled over the final three days of the camp (today, tomorrow, and Monday). These intra-squad scrimmages will provide the opportunity to evaluate the players internally, without risking injury. I still expect there will be some physical play, but it won't be as dangerous as matching up your rookies against another club's entirely.

I agree. I would say this however; we are now in day three of the rookie camp and so far the imformation coming our way has been scarce or non-existent. Blah blah blah. You got to know had there been any competion relative to another club that that imformation would have been shared. Given the risk that you have alluded to, I believe that the organization needs to step up how they promote their young charges at rookie camp.

Do they really need to promote them? These camps are more for internal development more than anything, they're not using this to build up a players' trade value. It seems to me it was only a few years ago that this was closed to the public so the current setup is better than it was. As for information, Matt (Psycing) is planning to have a daily write-up from camp so you can look here for info. (I had to get the plug in...)

The Habs have 40 players in their Rookie Camp right now (24 forwards, 12 defensemen, 4 goalies). Now if you split that evenly, you have two groups of 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Look familiar?

There are 3 scrimmages scheduled over the final three days of the camp (today, tomorrow, and Monday). These intra-squad scrimmages will provide the opportunity to evaluate the players internally, without risking injury. I still expect there will be some physical play, but it won't be as dangerous as matching up your rookies against another club's entirely.

Yep. Plus, you get more players involved in the competition and evaluation. Lots of benefits. It's not as high-intensity as those tournaments, but these kids get enough of that in junior/college/international play.

Do they really need to promote them? These camps are more for internal development more than anything, they're not using this to build up a players' trade value. It seems to me it was only a few years ago that this was closed to the public so the current setup is better than it was. As for information, Matt (Psycing) is planning to have a daily write-up from camp so you can look here for info. (I had to get the plug in...)

Yeah, and some team websites aren't even airing their prospect games. Some are. You can probably watch all of them since enough teams are showing them, but these aren't very high end promotional tools.

I'll look at who gets invited to the main camp and who gets into preseason action, which at least has the benefit of trying to get players familiar to the systems the team will be using that year.

I'll look at who gets invited to the main camp and who gets into preseason action, which at least has the benefit of trying to get players familiar to the systems the team will be using that year.

Unless a player forgets how to skate, they probably will make the main camp if recent history repeats itself. The exception would be junior tryouts who the team knows they won't sign, they might be sent back early but I expect at least 60 players going to the main camp. Hamilton's preseason doesn't start until I believe the 27th so their coaches will be up with the Habs for the first week of camp or so.

Unless a player forgets how to skate, they probably will make the main camp if recent history repeats itself. The exception would be junior tryouts who the team knows they won't sign, they might be sent back early but I expect at least 60 players going to the main camp. Hamilton's preseason doesn't start until I believe the 27th so their coaches will be up with the Habs for the first week of camp or so.

Well, almost the entire management and coaching staff has been turned over since the last 'recent history' data point so we'll see if they keep up the policies of Gauthier/Martin or not.

All i am suggesting is that clubs take the opportunity to promote better their charges as a group during rookie camp. I am also suggesting that fans, me included, get excited for the start of season and the last couple of days have been a bummer knowing what should be going on, (a firecracker without a bang). Hopefully things pick up. I am not suggesting that they play in a rookie tournment because of the risk, but there is an appetite for such games.

Prospects and invitees skated for a second consecutive day on Saturday morning at Canadiens Rookie Camp in Brossard, taking part in on-ice testing.

Scrimmage #1

Team Red 4 ( Grégoire, Narbonne, Eberle, Thomas)

Team White 2 ( MacAulay, McCarron)

Goaltenders

Team Red: Delmas (15 saves on 16 shots) \ Fucale (7 saves on 8 shots)

Team White: Condon (7 saves on 10 shots) \ Festarini (8 saves on 9 shots)

From the Habs website

Since I don't think the Canadiens' site mentioned it, both Narbonne and McCarron's goals came on penalty shots. Rather than give penalties for infractions, teams were given penalty shots. It worked a bit more like basketball free throws since the rest of the players on the ice lined up at the opposite blueline and skated in behind the shooter to jump into the play if no goal was scored. Hope that makes sense... I'll have a video up on YouTube later to give the full effect.

All i am suggesting is that clubs take the opportunity to promote better their charges as a group during rookie camp. I am also suggesting that fans, me included, get excited for the start of season and the last couple of days have been a bummer knowing what should be going on, (a firecracker without a bang). Hopefully things pick up. I am not suggesting that they play in a rookie tournment because of the risk, but there is an appetite for such games.

I'm curious - what would your idea be to promote them short of playing in the rookie tourneys (where they'd get the most exposure)? I can't really think of any aside from what's being done already (the Habs have a few interview clips with some of the more notable prospects, the media is doing some feature columns, etc). Is there something specific you have in mind?

I'm curious - what would your idea be to promote them short of playing in the rookie tourneys (where they'd get the most exposure)? I can't really think of any aside from what's being done already (the Habs have a few interview clips with some of the more notable prospects, the media is doing some feature columns, etc). Is there something specific you have in mind?

Thanks Dlbair. Yeah. Maybe put a little more flash in the first two days. An introductory skate/scrimmage perhaps. Personnally I would be looking for other risk management solutions around the rookie tourneys. Obviously just eliminating it is sound, but are there other solutions?

Thanks Dlbair. Yeah. Maybe put a little more flash in the first two days. An introductory skate/scrimmage perhaps. Personnally I would be looking for other risk management solutions around the rookie tourneys. Obviously just eliminating it is sound, but are there other solutions?

Would a skills competition qualify under what you're looking for?

Would a skills competition qualify under what you're looking for?

Sure, why not. Anything to introduce the new players. I see you have several videos of the camp up today. Brian just for the record my comments were not about you or this site, but rather the imformation coming in general from all the sites around the Habs. I do believe that if you are not going to have a rookie tourney that you need to replace that momentum (hyph) somehow. A skills competition might be the ticket.

Sure, why not. Anything to introduce the new players. I see you have several videos of the camp up today. Brian just for the record my comments were not about you or this site, but rather the imformation coming in general from all the sites around the Habs. I do believe that if you are not going to have a rookie tourney that you need to replace that momentum (hyph) somehow. A skills competition might be the ticket.

The thing is, I don't think the Habs want hype at this stage with the youngsters but rather to just have them go through their drills for evaluation. Momentum should come when the real training camp begins when we can start counting down the days to hockey again.

The thing is, I don't think the Habs want hype at this stage with the youngsters but rather to just have them go through their drills for evaluation. Momentum should come when the real training camp begins when we can start counting down the days to hockey again.

Umm... I've been counting since July. :)

• Upvote 1

To wrap up the rookie camp coverage, Matt (Psycing - we have three Matt's on the site now so I have to specify each time) will be running a mailbag taking questions about the prospects. If you have any questions you'd like answered, post them here.

Question for McCarron--- What have Mark and Dale asked you to work on, and what will be your role in your first season with the Knights as projected by Mark,Dale and yourself?

He's not talking to the prospects, he's answering questions about them. For example, how is his skating? His shot? Did he try to fight anyone at the camp?

Who shined brightest?

Biggest disappointment?

Does Crisp deserve his draft position?

Scouting report on Thomas, por favor. He's all over the map on different Top Habs Prospects lists, so what's he like having actually seen him?

Guest Stogey24

He's not talking to the prospects, he's answering questions about them. For example, how is his skating? His shot? Did he try to fight anyone at the camp?

Haha

Got it-- Thanx. If you had to pick a sleeper from those without contracts and/or AHL/ECHL contracts who do you like to show up this year.

How is Pateryn's mobility?

Holland/Bournival/Ellis/Beaulieu appear bigger/stronger this year?

Has Beaulieu's defense or decision making improved?

Anyone stand out as "most improved" from last year's camp?

Duffy or Nystrom likely to crack Bulldog roster?

How does Nygren's defense seem? Better than a MAB? Is he a strong skater?

Is Thomas the most "NHL ready" top six injury call up?