Who should the next captain be when Gionta leaves?

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

He would be the one of the worst choices IMO.

Really hated his game in the playoffs, it's too bad Gallagher didn't have his size or Max had Gallagher's head.

Thumbs up

He would be the one of the worst choices IMO.

Really hated his game in the playoffs, it's too bad Gallagher didn't have his size or Max had Gallagher's head.

His game was bad, but it was also his first playoffs. I expect more this year.

I think Gorges remains the best candidate, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gionta get a 2-year deal if he stays relatively healthy this year.

His game was bad, but it was also his first playoffs. I expect more this year.

I think Gorges remains the best candidate, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gionta get a 2-year deal if he stays relatively healthy this year.

About Patches, most our team under-performed in the playoffs. I'm sure its not that any one of them is a "bad" playoff guy, but the amount of cold streaks fed off each other for sure.

About Patches, most our team under-performed in the playoffs. I'm sure its not that any one of them is a "bad" playoff guy, but the amount of cold streaks fed off each other for sure.

I agree about giving most of team a pass on last year's playoff performance, what with the glut of injuries and collective slump. But some of our guys have had so-so playoffs for long enough that it can be seen as more of a trend:

Plekanec: Has never been that great, but isn't as bad as public perception either, largely due to his 'little girl' comments several years back. I don't think he can relied on as our everything guy in the post season, which is why we saw success in 2010 when Gomez could take up 1a/1b duties.

Markov: This one I see as more of a pattern of underperformance, but we won't be relying on him as much this year (and in the future if he stays). Maybe he'll do better in a complementary role instead of being 'the man.'

Price: Well, yeah. Lots of time to turn it around.

PK is not going to be captain. He doesn't have the necessary support in the room. Too cocky. I love the guy but captain nope. Gorges is the choice because he has the respect of everyone on the team. He is a well rounded player who will do whatever it takes to win. Not really even a question. I want to trade Gionta now just so josh can be captain. Ok that is a joke but I really do want to trade Gionta. He is a diminishing asset with no real upside. Get rid of him now and get some assets.

PK is not going to be captain. He doesn't have the necessary support in the room. Too cocky. I love the guy but captain nope. Gorges is the choice because he has the respect of everyone on the team. He is a well rounded player who will do whatever it takes to win. Not really even a question. I want to trade Gionta now just so josh can be captain. Ok that is a joke but I really do want to trade Gionta. He is a diminishing asset with no real upside. Get rid of him now and get some assets.

"Captain of the team" and "Capable of scoring 20+ goals in a full season" is no real upside? Hilarious.

09-10: Team goal scoring leader

10-11: Team goal scoring leader

11-12: Injured, 8 goals in 31 games.

12-13: Second in team goal scoring (Pacioretty and Gallagher tied for first, Plek and Gio tied for second, Ryder goals only counting for Montreal)

But yeah, no real upside. Maybe we can get a fifth round pick for him or something.

When it comes down to naming a new Captain, I think it's safe bet to ask yourself the following question:

Who's the least likely to generate disagreement among the fans, media, and team if selected as Captain?

Hard to see anyone being upset if Gorges is that guy. While I'm in the minority in believe Markov would be a good candidate, I understand why some would disagree. Plekanec could be a solid candidate as well, but I'd be concerned with his leadership within the dressing room. Prust is similar to Gorges, but hasn't been with the club as long and is on a shorter contract.

"Captain of the team" and "Capable of scoring 20+ goals in a full season" is no real upside? Hilarious.

09-10: Team goal scoring leader

10-11: Team goal scoring leader

11-12: Injured, 8 goals in 31 games.

12-13: Second in team goal scoring (Pacioretty and Gallagher tied for first, Plek and Gio tied for second, Ryder goals only counting for Montreal)

But yeah, no real upside. Maybe we can get a fifth round pick for him or something.

what the hell is the upside? injured 2 years in a row, and 34 years old. Is he going to blossom? I never said he wasn't any good, I said he is on the downhill slide, but of course you are a big fan of small over the hill injury prone guys. I say trade him and get some assets while we can.

why don't we just go sign Koivu again so you can be happy.