2013 Training Camp

Trizzak

Training camp roster released: http://canadiens.nhl.com/fr/v2/ext/2013-2014/201314_camp.pdf

Some key non-invitees: Vail & Bennett (don't I remember Bennett going previous years? Did he not pay his own way this season)

Injured players are: Gionta, Nattinen, Parros, Quailer, Emelin

Matt Lashoff is the only free agent tryout.

Training camp roster released: http://canadiens.nhl.com/fr/v2/ext/2013-2014/201314_camp.pdf

Some key non-invitees: Vail & Bennett (don't I remember Bennett going previous years? Did he not pay his own way this season)

Injured players are: Gionta, Nattinen, Parros, Quailer, Emelin

Matt Lashoff is the only free agent tryout.

Dont think NCAA players can attend, can they?

Vail seems to be underachieving since having a very good start to year in OHL season last year. And maybe just are too many other good prospects for him to suit up for pre-season games?

Dont think NCAA players can attend, can they?

Vail seems to be underachieving since having a very good start to year in OHL season last year. And maybe just are too many other good prospects for him to suit up for pre-season games?

NCAA players can if they pay their own way. If memory serves me right, Walsh did this a couple of times but I don't recall Bennett ever being at the main one. I could be wrong though. I looked at the 2011-12 camp roster and Bennett wasn't there.

Here's a quick write-up with some things worth noting from the invitees (some have already been mentioned here): http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3184

Crisp, after (to be blunt) what seemed to be the disappointed of the draft, scored a hatrick at today's scrimmage. What is this. Now he's going to main camp. Might have had a big stroke of luck but that's impressive. Hope he impresses again at main camp

Vail has reportedly had a really awful showing at every event this summer. It's like he left Hamilton and forgot how to play hockey.

I've read a few comments on Vail around the web, and I have to agree that he played a bit "scared" during the scrimmages at the Habs rookie camp. I don't know if he's been hit too hard a time or two, but he has the body language of a player that hears footsteps every time he goes into the corner with the puck.

Crisp, after (to be blunt) what seemed to be the disappointed of the draft, scored a hatrick at today's scrimmage. What is this. Now he's going to main camp. Might have had a big stroke of luck but that's impressive. Hope he impresses again at main camp

He was considered a disappointment for the dumbest reason. The kid played goal when he wasn't a goalie and got lit up. Anyone would get lit up. Wayne Gretzky would get lit up. But Gretzky probably couldn't take the embarrassment and Crisp did. He took it and became a better hockey player. He's proving he's more than just another overager in the draft and might be something special in terms of tenacity and will. The fact he's proving everyone wrong on his analysis as a goon is great. I hope he makes it.

He was considered a disappointment for the dumbest reason. The kid played goal when he wasn't a goalie and got lit up. Anyone would get lit up. Wayne Gretzky would get lit up. But Gretzky probably couldn't take the embarrassment and Crisp did. He took it and became a better hockey player. He's proving he's more than just another overager in the draft and might be something special in terms of tenacity and will. The fact he's proving everyone wrong on his analysis as a goon is great. I hope he makes it.

I don't think anyone craps on Crisp for his game as a goalie, when he got congrats from the opposition as well as his own team and most see it as a good thing for him to step up when his team needed someone to bite the bullet and get shelled.

I was disappointed because it seemed the 2nd dumb goon pick by Timmins and I never heard of him before; when a Kujawinski, Hayden or Bjorkstrand seemed a smarter choice @71.

Maybe he will be another smart choice by Timmins and staff, I think the biggest thing holding most big guys back is lack of foot speed and time will tell if he can keep up at pro level?

I've read a few comments on Vail around the web, and I have to agree that he played a bit "scared" during the scrimmages at the Habs rookie camp. I don't know if he's been hit too hard a time or two, but he has the body language of a player that hears footsteps every time he goes into the corner with the puck.

That came up a few times at the end of the season with Hamilton, he'd bail on the play sometimes instead of taking the hit. Hopefully he learns from this.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't invite Morrow for a tryout. He made it clear he would like to play in Montreal, could possibly be an asset. I really thought he would get an invite.

Guest Stogey24

I'm a little disappointed they didn't invite Morrow for a tryout. He made it clear he would like to play in Montreal, could possibly be an asset. I really thought he would get an invite.

I'm pretty sure Montreal gave Morrow an invite. Lots of rumours though....

I'm trying to find some info on how good Nygren really is and what we might expect from him in the coming years. I do remember that he won defenceman of the year in the SEL last year.

Sounds like he has looked good-very good so far, with the young kids; but couple pre-season games may be telling?

I think little doubt he will start in AHL, but I also am curious where he may be in depth chart come Nov-Dec.

Will he adapt to small rinks, more physicality and is his defense NHL calibre?

It sounds like they did but Morrow said the other day he's not biting on a PTO right now and will bide his time until one of the teams he wants to play for clears some cap space to sign him.

It sounds like they did but Morrow said the other day he's not biting on a PTO right now and will bide his time until one of the teams he wants to play for clears some cap space to sign him.

Let's say we move Desharnais for a pick. Do you move Galchenyuk or Brière to C and sign Morrow ? I would definitely consider it.

Let's say we move Desharnais for a pick. Do you move Galchenyuk or Brière to C and sign Morrow ? I would definitely consider it.

What type of optics is there if you sign a player to a long-term extension and then trade him before he plays a new game on the deal? To answer your question, I'd consider it but I wouldn't be jumping to do it either as I expect there would be some long-term ramifications for signing a player in good faith and then dealing him before the contract kicks in.

On the topic of training camp, physicals were today. I'm waiting for the Habs to update the bio info on their site (so I can amend our player profiles accordingly) but it appears Murray weighed in at 240 lbs, Galchenyuk at 203, and Eller at 215. That's about all I've found so far. Prospect heights/weights I believe may be accurate as theirs have changed from the rookie camp roster to this one.

What type of optics is there if you sign a player to a long-term extension and then trade him before he plays a new game on the deal? To answer your question, I'd consider it but I wouldn't be jumping to do it either as I expect there would be some long-term ramifications for signing a player in good faith and then dealing him before the contract kicks in.

I speak for myself, but I consider this contract to be the biggest mistake of Marc Bergevin so far (provided that Subban 1: Signs with us. 2: Signs for a cap hit of less than 7M$). It would only be in an optic of redemption IMHO.

On the topic of training camp, physicals were today. I'm waiting for the Habs to update the bio info on their site (so I can amend our player profiles accordingly) but it appears Murray weighed in at 240 lbs, Galchenyuk at 203, and Eller at 215. That's about all I've found so far. Prospect heights/weights I believe may be accurate as theirs have changed from the rookie camp roster to this one.

That seems overly dramatic. Desharnais is still getting paid that money, so it's not like him being traded affects him more than any pro hockey player. Did Philly suffer for trading away their players a few weeks before their no-trade clauses kicked in? They still attract free agents.

That seems overly dramatic. Desharnais is still getting paid that money, so it's not like him being traded affects him more than any pro hockey player. Did Philly suffer for trading away their players a few weeks before their no-trade clauses kicked in? They still attract free agents.

I remember the backlash that Ottawa got when they signed Marian Hossa one day and traded him for Dany Heatley the next day in what wasn't a straight sign-and-trade deal. If that deal were to happen now, I have no doubts the reaction would be even worse. (Granted, Desharnais isn't anywhere near the calibre of those two but the principle of it would rub a lot of players and agents the wrong way.)

You're right in that Philly didn't suffer too badly (just some negative PR) but the difference is those players played under those contracts for a time (a couple of seasons), they weren't dealt before their extensions kicked in as would be the case here. You can regret a signing and move on by trading him, I just think you have to give the player a chance to justify it on the ice first.

To use an example that relates to the Habs, look back to how they acquired Donald Audette years ago. He signed a long-term deal with Dallas, played 20 games, and then was dealt to Montreal. Gainey (as GM of Dallas) realized quickly that it wasn't a good fit and moved him. There's nothing wrong with that - wait 6 weeks until the season is underway, see if Desharnais still fits or not; if not, then it's okay to move him. I just don't think they can do it yet, not without a lot of negativity surrounding it.

I would be happy with a second rounder from a bottom half/third team for DD but I d be more willing to give DD plus a 3rd if the pick we got back was a first rounder.

As for trading him before the new contract kicks in, I dont really see that being a problem. From the player standpoint Im sure that they re aware and understand that they can be traded at any time providing that they dont have a no trade claus.

To address dlbalr's point I would still do the deal in 6 weeks. The return could be that much higher if DD is on a tear.

Edited by sim.on

I remember the backlash that Ottawa got when they signed Marian Hossa one day and traded him for Dany Heatley the next day in what wasn't a straight sign-and-trade deal. If that deal were to happen now, I have no doubts the reaction would be even worse. (Granted, Desharnais isn't anywhere near the calibre of those two but the principle of it would rub a lot of players and agents the wrong way.)

People forget the damage that did to Ottawa. Chara downplayed it in the media but privately told people it was why he didn't even negotiate with Ottawa when he became a free agent. When Hossa re-signed he wanted to find a way to make it work for both him and Redden because he was loyal to Ottawa. When he saw what they did to a fellow Slovak he knew there was no loyalty.

Sure, Ottawa was still able to chase star players and the like but imagine Chara and Karlsson on the same team.