2013 Training Camp

Trizzak

Ha ha, I don't know anything about this Mayer character, but the hate-on for him around here is reliably amusing. He must really suck rocks. :lol:

Look at his career numbers. In nearly 100 AHL games, he has a GAA barely under 3 and a SV% a little over .900. Despite this, he has been given a chance to be the starter in the minors for two straight years, both times he has failed. Despite this, he gets a multi-year contract with a near-doubled AHL salary in order to coerce him to break an already signed contract in Switzerland.

Meanwhile, Dustin Tokarski, who has a better junior pedigree and has had a lot more AHL success, gets stuck in a timeshare situation upon being acquired last year and was situated behind Mayer on the Habs' depth chart (Mayer was dressing when one of the Habs' goalies couldn't go). In the offseason, the Habs play hardball with him (after giving Mayer well more than he's worth) and only give him one year with a piddly AHL raise (and an NHL salary reduction).

One goalie is an elite minor league starter with some NHL potential (as a backup), the other, a mediocre AHL backup with no NHL potential. Yet the organization continually favours the latter over the former. For those who follow Hamilton regularly (the goalie situation was frequently discussed in their GDT's), this has been very frustrating. That should more or less explain the frequent negativity that accompanies any mention of Mayer.

Which makes it all the more surprising that Mayer was sent down first. Did Waite clue everyone in to how bad this guy is?

Knowing this organization though, it was probably more like, "Well we better send him down now when he's less likely to be picked off waivers! Don't want to risk losing this gem more than we have to!"

Ha ha, I don't know anything about this Mayer character, but the hate-on for him around here is reliably amusing. He must really suck rocks. :lol:

IT is not hate. Just no explanation given. As a habs fan, I would like everyone to earn job on merit. I don't see it here.

Are people concerned that this hard-on for Mayer says something troubling about the new regime? Or do you see it as just some sort of weird, isolated organizational blind spot?

Are people concerned that this hard-on for Mayer says something troubling about the new regime? Or do you see it as just some sort of weird, isolated organizational blind spot?

I think it is somebody pulling in a marker. If that is the case , yes it is troubling.

Someone in a powerful role sees something in him that no one else seems to. That's puzzling and concerning at the same time.

Another good game for Bournival tonight. I think he stays with the big club. Question is, where does he fit?

He dosent fit any real need at present, likely wont be kept up and no need to rush him, If he does super in Hamilton in Oct-Nov he can be called up easy enough cant he?

But he has looked good and had a good AHL rookie season, so a top nine role down the road seems reasonable expectation.

Does Bourinval's very promising camp mean that we can FINALLY hear an end to any and all whining about the Habs "giving up on" legendary KHLer Ryan O'byrne? :rolleyes: It looks suspiciously like we cleaned up on that particular trade - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for all the online Chicken Littles to come out and admit it.

Does Bourinval's very promising camp mean that we can FINALLY hear an end to any and all whining about the Habs "giving up on" legendary KHLer Ryan O'byrne? :rolleyes: It looks suspiciously like we cleaned up on that particular trade - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for all the online Chicken Littles to come out and admit it.

I was always an OByrne fan, but thought that trade was good for both Habs and OByrne. And was, he got a regular shift, Colorado gave him a fair chance and Bournival seems to be developing nicely.

I think Holland, Bourque and Fucale for Cammalleri + euro goalie will also turn out in Habs favour.

I saw Yemelin is skating now, is he still 2+months from returning or likely ahead of schedule? Is plan to have Gionta suit up for some pre-season action this week?

I saw Yemelin is skating now, is he still 2+months from returning or likely ahead of schedule? Is plan to have Gionta suit up for some pre-season action this week?

I'd say he's still a couple of months away. He's just doing light skating drills. Gionta won't play tomorrow but hopes to play by the end of preseason.

Ryan O'Byrne... 300+ games in the NHL.

Michael Bournival... 0 games in the NHL.

A lot of players look great in preseason and suck in the regular season. In no way can we make the call that we "cleaned up" that trade. Let's let Bournival a) get to the NHL, b) stay in the NHL, and c) do at least mildly well in the NHL before making the call.

Someone in a powerful role sees something in him that no one else seems to. That's puzzling and concerning at the same time.

Lets hope you are right on the Waite assessment.

The troubling thing about Mayer is that it was not across one regime, but two... the use of him in the Gauthier regime ahead of others was also inexplicable. For that reason I hope it was our old goalie coach, and that Waite now sees what the rest of us have for years.

I want Bournival on the team over White.

Go

Bournival - Prust - Moen

or

Prust - Bournival - Moen

and have White be the pressbox guy.

Tokarski will go on waivers tomorrow. With Pittsburgh and Columbus both with injured backups at the moment, there's a chance he may not clear.

really hope he clears - I feel better with Tokarski coming up in the event either Price or Budaj get injured.

now, if he gets claimed, they HAVE to keep him on the NHL roster or else the Habs get first dibs on getting him back?

now, if he gets claimed, they HAVE to keep him on the NHL roster or else the Habs get first dibs on getting him back?

Yes, the claiming team must keep him on the NHL roster. He cannot be traded without first clearing waivers either. There's no re-claiming priority but if he were to be re-waived within 30 days, the Habs could reclaim him and send him down if no other team places a claim.

perhaps the whole idea of Mayer being #3 on the depth chart ahead of Tokarski is just an elaborate ruse to fool other GMs from picking him up off of waivers! I mean, if they passed on our #3, why would they want our #4?!!!

perhaps the whole idea of Mayer being #3 on the depth chart ahead of Tokarski is just an elaborate ruse to fool other GMs from picking him up off of waivers! I mean, if they passed on our #3, why would they want our #4?!!!

That would be nice but I doubt the other 29 GM's suffer from the same disease called Mayer-itis that deludes the Habs into thinking he's the better goalie of the two.