What's the biggest question facing the Habs in 2013-14 season?

Psycing

1. Cary Price. If he regains his early season form from last year, the Habs can compete. If he plays like the second half, the Habs will struggle because as good as Budaj is in spot situations, the Canadiens can't ride him.

2. Subban. If he can compete perennially for the Norris and continue to play that high-calibre hockey, then we have a gifted number one rearguard who will probably eat over 25 minutes a game and will dominate (and perhaps win) more than a few. If he settles back into the better-than-average but not elite, then the Habs defence looks much weaker and their overall game will struggle more.

3. Age. Eller, les Gal(l)y's deux, and guys like Desh, Patches et al are one year older, and in the case of the first three, looking to establish themselves and bonified NHL-ers (over a full NHL sked, no less) and not just one-and-done Bobby Carpenter clones (I'm sure I did a fly-over with that reference). If they mature and progress, they automatically make the Habs better than last season, and in an off-season where MB did the evolutionary and not revolutionary moves (which I really liked, as an aside), then the pundits who say Montreal didn't do enough will look pretty silly.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they really have any. I don't pay any attention to the pre-season pundit previews. The way they seem to go is that the teams that made the most moves are "the most improved" and "the team to beat." I don't really think this is true, and teams like this take time to find their chemistry out of the gate. I think the Habs are looking good for a playoff spot, the questions, like any other team will be during the post season, where anything can happen. They have the Norris winner, three solid lines, the best defense they've had in years, and a solid goalie. They're one solid season away from getting the respect they deserve, and are a second round finish away from contender status. Next summer will be interesting when all that cash gets added, and Markov and Gio's deals come off the books. They might have 10 million to play with after Subban, Eller and Emelin get resigned. Diaz will not.

• Upvote 1

Will Penalty Kill be much improved, or even be average?

Will health of top 4 d-men over 82 games be a big issue?

Can Tinordi make top 6, have an impact and play 20 minutes/game ( a la Jonas Brodin)?

One good question is : Is Eller completly healed and how will he bounce back ? He was slowly on his way to become the #1 C of this team before he got killed by this crushing hit. Along with Galchenyuk, I see this duo leading our top line next season sooner than later.

Now, the way I approach the upcoming season is as a bridge season where the young guns will (hopefully) be allowed to take over the vets spots as the season progress.

Maybe I'm too high on Galchenyuk, but my exectations are nothing less than seing him becoming our #1 C in 2-3 seasons while Eller would run our 2nd line and, I wish, Plekanec on the 3rd line.

I know I'm asking for a lot from this kid, but I'm confident that he's the real deal.

Biggest question to me is whether or not the team can successfully endure the 82 game season while playing the same physically taxing style that won them the division in the shortened season last year. By the time the playoffs started, a number of key players were already out while the post-season series claimed new victims.

Without a doubt, the team will need all four lines rolling with the top 3 lines providing a distributed offense on a game-to-game basis. They will need to find a way to stay healthy and/or plug the holes with rookies in a way that maintains the competitive balance of the lines.

For example, the Senators are an injury prone bubble team, who swapped out Alfredsson and Silvferberf for Bobby Ryan. Their production from that move is a net loss! Yet they are favored over MTL? Like Craig Anderson is going to have a GAA under two. Like Karlsson, Cowan and Spezza are going to stay healthy. Like the team that beat a depleted Habs isn't the same team that was embarrassed by PIT. It's a joke.

This is the best young team in the league, and they're going to sing like a bird.

Biggest question for me is if the youth emerges to lead the team and push veterans down the depth chart or do the veterans prove that they have their spots because they deserve them?

Eller played third line minutes all year and emerged with enough points to be the second leading scorer of his former team (St. Louis). What happens if he comes out as the best center on the team? Do you keep him with limited minutes or push him up the depth chart?

Galchenyuk was one of our most dominant players on offence in the playoffs. What if he proves to be head and shoulders above the competition? Do you try him at center despite having guys like Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller set there with Briere also able to play the middle?

Brendan Gallagher looked comfortable with Desharnais and Pacioretty as well as with Eller and Galchenyuk. He was also tied with Pacioretty for most goals on the team last season. Do we continue playing him with safer competition if he keeps scoring or see how well he could do against a Crosby line?

At what point do we stop the sheltering?

Also, at what point do we look at how Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn are playing in the AHL and decide if they are ready for full time NHL duties? Or do we only call them up for injury necessity, even if Beaulieu is a top AHL D-scorer or Tinordi/Pateryn show physical maturity?

Price is by far the biggest question. If he's consistently 'good enough,' like he was at the start of last season, we'll be solidly within the playoff mix. If he struggles, we're in trouble. If he plays like a top 10 goalie, then we're a contender.

My next biggest question is how well the D will hold up. We've added Murray (probably not a difference maker) to a group that often got exposed at the end of last year. What will our bottom pairing look like? Can Diaz continue to improve? Can Markov be durable and effective? Will Gorges and Subban be more solid in our zone against other teams' top lines? It's possible that D could be a big strength for us, or it could be our biggest weakness.

At forward, the perennial question is what the lines will eventually look like.

Murray is heavily under-appreciated this season. He may not have mobility, but he has size, is a mean SOB, and a long reach. I had a long talk with an Ottawa fan who felt that Murray was one of the most effective components with the Pens and he fears a Montreal team with a guy who's going to block shots at a Georges level. If he can play 14-15 minutes and be effective on the PK, I think we'll have a real steal here. Think Gill with a vicious mean streak. He's going to pummel guys in front of the net.

So, all due respect, Neech, but my humble opinion is that Murray will be a difference-maker.

Hope you're right, Colin. We definitely lacked meanness on D. Your friend's report is mitigated by all the others that have chronicled his decline, but it makes me more optimistic.

I think the key will be managing his minutes and putting him in situations in which he'll excel. And as much as it shocks me to say this, I feel Therrien has learned this fairly well! I think he's done right by Galchenyuk in particular, and I see him bringing along guys like Gally and Eller effectively. Instead of being thrown to the fire, they've been eased in and placed in positive situations for their development. So assuming he (Therrien) continues this trend and works at icing the right players at the right time, I think we'll see a very effective Murray.

Great posts in this thread. Once again HW surpasses all others in terms of quality if not quantity. I'm inclined to agree with most of what's already been said; and if I had to single out a factor other than Markov's knee, it'd be continued progression from Eller. If that skilled, rangy C can build on what he did before getting brutally derailed it'll be huge for us.

Once we hit the playoffs - and I think we will make the playoffs, barring the usual disastrous run of injuries - THE question mark will become Price. He has one and only one strong playoff on his resumé. If he delivers yet another mediocre effort, we're looking at a seven-year veteran who has not shown any ability to raise his game in the dance - a fundamental flaw in the plan for the big rebuild.

• Upvote 1

I think the key will be managing his minutes and putting him in situations in which he'll excel. And as much as it shocks me to say this, I feel Therrien has learned this fairly well! I think he's done right by Galchenyuk in particular, and I see him bringing along guys like Gally and Eller effectively. Instead of being thrown to the fire, they've been eased in and placed in positive situations for their development. So assuming he (Therrien) continues this trend and works at icing the right players at the right time, I think we'll see a very effective Murray.

agree 100%

Murray is simply a type of player the Habs haven't had since maybe Souray?

Gill was big, a bit physical and seemed well respected (and expect him to be a d-coach somewhere soon, based on..nothing but he seems coachworthy); but if had to drop the gloves to stand up for, say Gorges, he simply was not real keen on it.

And Habs glaring weakness was PK% and Murray blocks shots, clears front of net, so he may be a super pick-up as long as he play smart, as Gill did, and play to his strengths.

Great posts in this thread. Once again HW surpasses all others in terms of quality if not quantity. I'm inclined to agree with most of what's already been said; and if I had to single out a factor other than Markov's knee, it'd be continued progression from Eller. If that skilled, rangy C can build on what he did before getting brutally derailed it'll be huge for us.

Once we hit the playoffs - and I think we will make the playoffs, barring the usual disastrous run of injuries - THE question mark will become Price. He has one and only one strong playoff on his resumé. If he delivers yet another mediocre effort, we're looking at a seven-year veteran who has not shown any ability to raise his game in the dance - a fundamental flaw in the plan for the big rebuild.

+1.

Markov's knee (as a metaphor for Markov's health.) The D is the weak point on this team. I Markov goes down, the loss of a few PP efficiency points and the effective promotion of the 5 defensemen under him in the depth chart would combine to have a huge effect on the performance of this team. If Subban and Markov stay healthy all season, there's no chance this team misses the playoffs (unless they lose something like 4 or 5 top 9 forwards, of which there are 10.)

Given the yo-yo performance of the habs over the past few years, I don't think there is one question to consider. I've got a number of questions that can be grouped into two themes. The answer to those will determine if last year was an aberration,or whether the habs are a playoff team in a tough new division.

First of all, hopefully, the young core all put things together in the same year. Which means:

1. IMO Price has only been consistent for one year in his career. Given his age he needs to have a solid, consistent season and a strong playoffs.
  2. Subban doesn't need to win the Norris, but needs to be in the Norris talk (which means given what Peiterangelo and Letang signed for, Subban will make $7.5 to $8m)
  3. MaxPac needs to be consistent for the entire year and show he is 35+ goal man and the best long term contract bargain in the NHL.
  4. Is Eller capable on building on last year, able to put the hit that knocked him out of the playoffs behind him and show he is a top two centre.
  5. Gally Squared need to avoid the sophomore slump and force MT to up their ice time.
  6. By the end of year, Tinordi and Emelin are among the regular top 4 on the Habs Defence AND that turns out to be a good thing.

The second question is the health and consistency of the veterans.

1. Markov will be healthy, which means Markov will help the habs have one of the best PP's in the league and get Tinordi or Emelin the contract he got Komisarik.
  2. Pleks will be pleks, but will he finally get regular wingers and get back north of 60 points.
  3. Will Briere be healthy and provide the additional offensive leadership, or will he be another french superstar the habs signed well after his past due date.
  4. Is Gionta going to be healthy enough to score another 20+ goals?
  5. Is Bourque going to drive to the net like last year, or revert to the player that got him run out of Calgary.
  6. Prust, Murray and White provide the toughness and regular spark the habs need (i'm not sold on Parros, or his type of player).

1. Pleks will be pleks, but will he finally get regular wingers and get back north of 60 points.

Yeah, judging by his current practice wingers he's our third line centre. It seems like Patches/Desharnais will have to really crash and burn before they ever split them up.

Prust, Murray and White provide the toughness and regular spark the habs need (i'm not sold on Parros, or his type of player).

Yeah, I agree about Parros. Much has been made about a player who might play 5 minutes in about half of the games. Maybe it is necessary psychologically to have a tough guy who is a good teammate on the roster, but it still won't matter much if the guys actually on the ice aren't tough enough.

Maybe Diaz will be the one to get a huge raise by being paired with #79, if he can return to pre-concussion form. $1.2m for a 50 point d-man would be a bonus. Maybe he will have same type breakout Mark Strait did, that I had once hoped for Weber (lumping the Swiss d-men I know, but seem quite comparable).

I don't fear Pacioretty will really care who is his centre, both Eller and Plekanec are super options for him.

I also don't think Parros is overrated, most agree what he will bring and he seems comfortable with his likely spot-time role. But he is for sure a PR friendly character, with the Lanny MacDonald like upper lip, "fancy" education background and seems most goon-types tend to be good teammates to have around.

Habs29 makes good points, but I especially like that he brought up Bourque. With Cole long gone, the only top-6 guys we've got who supply any element of power are Patches and Bourque. I think the latter was quietly quite an important piece last season in terms of balance up front; if he reverts back to his Crap in Calgary ways that'll end up being a significant loss relative to last season.

How about this one: will the Habs lead the league in fights? Believe it or not, they very well could. Parros and Prust are worth 35 alone, and White will pitch in ten. Moen and Tinordi with 5 a piece, Subban and Murray with 3 each, Bourque always gets in a few, as does Gallagher. Gorges will go, and Pacioretty and Emelin find themselves in a couple a year. With three grudge match teams in the same division, they can break 60 fights easily . That's exciting! This team is going to live on special teams.

But to answer the question I say Rene Bourque. I don't see any reason why he can't be as big a factor as Nathan Horton. A motivated Bourque is huge. I'll give him a flyer for his trade year, being traded to the worst team in the Eastern Conference is nothing to get fired up about. He was the best performer in the playoffs, and with the mighty mites skating around in the top 6, he has to be a physical force.

1) Price: yada yada yada

2) Gal-Elle-Gal: Sounds like a Haitian reggae track! If they meet or exceed expectations the Habs are fine. Offensively.

3) Desharnais: Imo, 70% of the offensive centers playing professional hockey world wide could play between 67 & 48 and put up points. If he doesn't top 60. He's doug, ugh, I mean dead weight.

X-factor: Team defense. Furthermore, the defensemen. If they don't gel before Emelin return, they'll have a steep hill to climb assuming chemistry reverts back to last years norm with his presence. If they're gelling and all is up & up when Emelin returns.. get ready for a long(er) playoff run. Especially if someone makes Bouillon expendable prior to his return.