Who will be this season's "X-Factor" for the Habs?

Psycing

Montreal finished 4th in the league last year with price having a mediocre year. If goalies are always the X-factor what would they have done with him having a stellar year? I think the bottom line is that there isn't one "X-factor", what made the Habs a dominant team last year was, well, the "team." They really bought in last year.

I guess the x-factor is playing the no excuses, everyone is held accountable type of game that they all hopped on board for last year. Because the Habs ALL did it last year.

I say it's Galchenyuk. He could have a dazzling sophomore season, or it could be more of a gradual progression from his rookie year.

With Markov we know what to expect. He's either Markov or injured (at which point he ceases to be Markov).

The x-factor? Peter David.

Deeply into the fly-by's.

Eller. Is he going to continue to improve by leaps and bounds, or is he going to peak and become a solid 2/3 guy. I think he has the skills to pop up to a 1/2, particularly since his physicality should be much improved with his off-ice conditioning this past summer. If he gets to an All-Star level he could very well elevate the whole club.

Markov. It's always Markov.

If Markov is Markov than the Habs will do well.

If Markov isn't Markov than the Habs will suck.

It's Markov.

Markov.

Ding ding ding! We have a WINNAAAAHHH.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the Markov train as well. I believe in the forward group to provide steady offense throughout the year.

However, if Markov can produce at the level we all know he's capable of in addition to Subban's contributions, we might have one of the best 1-2 punches from the blue line in the league. It will be interesting to see if they continue to play together on the power-play, or if Therrien splits them up among the first and second wave.

But, of course, one must fear for his health and whether or not he can keep up with the speed of the game. The good news is that Markov is loose going into training camp, and was quoted as saying he believes the media is more concerned with his future than he is. All confidence. It's a great sign heading into the new season.

Markov's knee, like Koivu's, is one of the great "what ifs" in recent Habs history. If he'd been healthy in 2011-12, it's entirely possible the team would have made the playoffs and Goat would probably still be GM. If we'd had him against the Prunes in the 2011 playoffs, we might well have derailed their Stanley Cup (after all, we took 'em to Game 7 OT...you want to tell me Markov might not have made a difference?). If he'd been healthy in 2010, do we go down like limp noodles against the Flyers? Maybe, maybe not. Even the 2009 team might have fared somewhat differently.

So it'd be great if, by some miracle, he could make up for the lost years on the back end of his career, giving us a huge "bonus" now that we've finally replaced his standing as #1 D-man with an even better overall package in PK. In karmic terms, that knee owes us that much!!

Markov's knee, like Koivu's, is one of the great "what ifs" in recent Habs history. If he'd been healthy in 2011-12, it's entirely possible the team would have made the playoffs and Goat would probably still be GM. If we'd had him against the Prunes in the 2011 playoffs, we might well have derailed their Stanley Cup (after all, we took 'em to Game 7 OT...you want to tell me Markov might not have made a difference?). If he'd been healthy in 2010, do we go down like limp noodles against the Flyers? Maybe, maybe not. Even the 2009 team might have fared somewhat differently.

So it'd be great if, by some miracle, he could make up for the lost years on the back end of his career, giving us a huge "bonus" now that we've finally replaced his standing as #1 D-man with an even better overall package in PK. In karmic terms, that knee owes us that much!!

Maybe that knee is the reason we have Galchenyuk!