Zach Fucale signs an entry-level contract

dlbalr

I still don't understand why bother to sign now, when still have 2 years still to get signed? More as a confidence booster or something? Goalie seem so hard to project future success, but I guess is a good signing?

I still don't understand why bother to sign now, when still have 2 years still to get signed? More as a confidence booster or something? Goalie seem so hard to project future success, but I guess is a good signing?

I think the Habs are going with the thought that if they know they want to sign him, why wait? There are some small cap benefits (especially with a two year slide) if you're looking for something more tangible. Given Fucale's pedigree so far, he'd have to have two terrible years to not get a contract offer from Montreal since they're likely pegging him as the goalie of the future. So get it done now, then he doesn't have to have contract talks/thoughts in the back of his mind and he can just focus now on a strong season with Halifax and hopefully the #1 job at the World Juniors.

I think the Habs are going with the thought that if they know they want to sign him, why wait? There are some small cap benefits (especially with a two year slide) if you're looking for something more tangible. Given Fucale's pedigree so far, he'd have to have two terrible years to not get a contract offer from Montreal since they're likely pegging him as the goalie of the future. So get it done now, then he doesn't have to have contract talks/thoughts in the back of his mind and he can just focus now on a strong season with Halifax and hopefully the #1 job at the World Juniors.

Sure all sounds sensible, just with a goalie who most peg as playing a sheltered game behind a powerhouse team, similar too Brossoit/Jarry on Oil kings being bit overrated with stacked team pumping up numbers.

I assumed they might at least wait to see how Fucale fares with a crap team in front of him and losing a lot more; as well as, can he step up and start at world juniors?

But Fucale must be looking good at camps, seems to have heard mostly positive reviews.

Fucale's contract info:

2013-14*: NHL salary $742,500, Bonuses $182,500, AHL salary $70,000, Cap hit $925,000

2014-15*: NHL salary $792,500, Bonuses $132,500, AHL salary $70,000, Cap hit $925,000

2015-16: NHL salary $792,500, Bonuses $132,500, AHL salary $70,000, Cap hit $925,000

* Contract will slide if he doesn't play ten or more NHL games in that season.