How to Watch the Habs

ForumGhost

Not to promote online streams but I have used them when I'm not at home watching RDS. They work really well after you exit all the ads. Don't think I'm allowed to suggest specific sites on the forum though am I?

Not to promote online streams but I have used them when I'm not at home watching RDS. They work really well after you exit all the ads. Don't think I'm allowed to suggest specific sites on the forum though am I?

I'm already aware of a few, but I was hoping some kind of online subscription program or something so I could watch it in HD/high quality.

Correct, nothing specific on the forums (aside from GameCenter which has already been mentioned).

Be advised that any games on the NHL network are blacked out in Gamecenter. At least in the US, that's how it works. As a whole, I liked Gamecenter as a streaming service, I had both the Center Ice and Gamecenter packages to compare to see what I'd like to move forward with this year. I did like the DVR feature of GC, although I'm never patient enough to watch games after the fact and NOT already know the results, which takes a little fun out of it.

I looked into that, but...

Game broadcasts that are available to watch on television in your local market and nationally televised games are not available to watch live or within 48 hours of game completion in NHL GameCenter LIVE™. Preseason games are not included in NHL GameCenter LIVE™.

I guess it's not meant to compete with the TV stations, but makes it kind of pointless unless you live somewhere else.

I'm in Australia so GameCenter Live is money in the bank for me. But I wonder if you could mask your DNS to pretend to be in antarctica or w/e and watch whatever game you want. You know, like people do with Netflix? Could be worth it considering GCL is only $100 for the entire season and playoffs with the DVR feature.

This has already been mentioned in the thread but streaming links are not to be posted on the forum unless they are from the originating content provider. GameCenter is fine too since it's a pay service provided by the NHL.

Edited by dlbalr

I live in Ottawa and Montreal is blacked out. I don't get cable/satellite because I refuse to pay exorbitant sums for hundreds of channels that I never, ever watch. I sent a letter to RDS a while back and told them I'd be happy to pay to watch only the Habs.

Sadly, the Canadian telecoms have too much control.

Therefore, I'd happily stream - if there was a reliable option, which there is not. Also, I can't always catch games live, and having a PVR is great. But that's not happening either.

Which leaves me thinking I won't be watching much hockey.

Thanks for all the info. I was able to find what looks like an excellent streaming site, but I think in the end I will get a videotron package to have access to a few other stations I like. It's just a shame that North America gets a major shaft in terms of cable options/costs compared to the rest of the world...

I'm in New Zealand so like Seb, gamecentre is excellent for me.

Its kind of sad that you can get better coverage outside of North America than being there, although you guys do get the benefit of going to live games occasionally and having a more friendly time zone for watching games. (7:30 ET games start about 1:30 here, so I'm usually at work)

If you're in Canada and want to use GCL to watch the Habs, don't bother. RDS is considered a national station, so all Habs games would be blacked out in Canada. Even in the US it sucks because 1/8 of their games are on NHL Network and blacked out, even though the channel does not have widespread carriage.

I know a few years ago RDS offered online subcriptions for Habs games. No idea if they still do that, though.

Worst comes to worst, I believe CBC steams all of their games online for Canadian IPs. (Useless for me.)

I quickly googled the masking your DNS idea I meantioned... Aaaaand this thread was the second result. So not a popular topic, apparently. But I think you should be able to do it. (Think Firefox/Chrome plugin?)

I know we're not allowed to post links on the forums, but if you PM me, I can give you a couple places to look. If this violates the no posting streams, by all means erase this dlbalr.

On a side note, I got NHL Center Ice for the first time and no preseason game by Montreal have been televised on it, anyone else with Center Ice know if it's gonna be like this during the season or it's just pre-season, as I'm chalking it up to that. I'm assuming it's just preseason.

On a side note, I got NHL Center Ice for the first time and no preseason game by Montreal have been televised on it, anyone else with Center Ice know if it's gonna be like this during the season or it's just pre-season, as I'm chalking it up to that. I'm assuming it's just preseason.

GameCenter Live doesn't stream pre-season games for anyone. But every single NHL game played in the regular season and playoffs will be streamed live and on demand all year. There are restrictions based on your location though i.e. you won't be able to watch the Habs anywhere in Canada live or for 48 hours after the game because that would be infringing on RDS's rights (and possible TSN's if you're in eastern ontario.) But if you live, say, in Australia (what up!) where no one owns the broadcasting rights for your team, you can watch any game live or on demand at any time.

I quickly googled the masking your DNS idea I meantioned... Aaaaand this thread was the second result. So not a popular topic, apparently. But I think you should be able to do it. (Think Firefox/Chrome plugin?)

You may have googled too specifically. :)

how to watch the Habs?.........low expectations always helps me out

Ooh, so bitter and the season hasn't even started yet.

I would say with a big screen TV, a case, or two, of beer, some good friends and plenty of snacks.

GameCenter Live doesn't stream pre-season games for anyone. But every single NHL game played in the regular season and playoffs will be streamed live and on demand all year. There are restrictions based on your location though i.e. you won't be able to watch the Habs anywhere in Canada live or for 48 hours after the game because that would be infringing on RDS's rights (and possible TSN's if you're in eastern ontario.) But if you live, say, in Australia (what up!) where no one owns the broadcasting rights for your team, you can watch any game live or on demand at any time.

I'm living in Alberta, so blackouts wouldn't apply. I checked the guide for NHL Center Ice and they don't seem to be televising any Habs games for at least the first 2 weeks. Hoping the games will appear as it comes closer to gamedays. If it doesn't televise many Habs games, I'm gonna cancel it.

Looking forward to the 10th when their playing Edmonton, gonna be 6 seats away from the Habs bench. So stoked.