2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

With the offseason now done, it's time to get the regular season thread going. The first big topic? Patrick Roy blowing a gasket on the bench after a 6-1 victory. Right off the bat, I'm even happier that he's not the Habs coach. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433301

Also, Ilya Bryzgalov is close to finding a new home as he's set to sign with Las Vegas of the ECHL. Somehow I can't see this lasting long.

Wouldn't laugh about the Leafs. They're a solid squad.

Roy: that was my whole concern with him, that he'd be too volatile for the absurdly high-pressure Montreal environment. Yes, that can lead to great success for a little while as the whole team is lit aflame, but it's ultimately a recipe for a circus. No thanks.

I am now an Avs fan. My gawd, loved him when he played, going to love him as a coach, I think.

I think he'll be like Torterella...a coach everybody loves to have around, but doesn't necessarily want coaching their team.

Second topic: Leafs are 2-0 which should mean the inevitable annual parade preparations in TO.

Discuss.

Or laugh.

Leafs just might have better goaltending, at a much lower cap hit. 4.7 to our 7.9. I'm not laughing anymore.

Three days into the year and already a record has fallen. Alex Barkov scored in his NHL debut for Florida last night and in doing so, became the youngest player in NHL history to record a goal. He beat Grant Mulvey and Jordan Staal by one day.

Laviolette fired in Philly after 0-3 start

A lot of people figured it would happen but if he was on that short of a leash, why not fire him when there were a lot more coaching options to choose from in the offseason? Craig Berube as the new permanent head coach doesn't exactly sound like an upgrade.

Laviolette fired in Philly after 0-3 start

Hope it will boost my fantasy pool. I have Giroux as my 1st pick and the Flyers as my team. (might have to spend a trade on this pick during the season...)

A lot of people figured it would happen but if he was on that short of a leash, why not fire him when there were a lot more coaching options to choose from in the offseason? Craig Berube as the new permanent head coach doesn't exactly sound like an upgrade.

Interesting--- A major league owner that believes the coach has impactful responsiblity for the product... See John Gibbons

Interesting--- A major league owner that believes the coach has impactful responsiblity for the product... See John Gibbons

I'd say there's a big difference between the impact a hockey coach compared to a baseball manager. There are varying systems and strategies in hockey, not so much in baseball.

Philly always seems like a dog and pony show...yet they are an elite franchise more seasons than not. It's kinda weird. Great scouts, I guess.

They've always been able to outspend people, and that probably extends to scouting in the cap world. Having an impatient and overly hands-on owner is almost always bad.

I HATE how this after this kid scored a great goal, a bunch of players have to be interviewed about if he was 'showing [the goalie] up' or hotdogging. And there are the murmurs that it displayed a lack of maturity and that someone will (and should) teach him a lesson (presumably in the form of physical retribution). Can't we just enjoy the great plays that skilled players make? He didn't taunt anyone, he just scored a great goal.

And against the Rags. Awesome goal! And as for those who don't like to see that kind of thing...

Well, isn't that the kind of excitement hockey really needs?

Joe Thornton was asked about Tomas Hertl's showboating and about Adam Oates calling it disrespectful to the league.

His response is amazing, (and mildly NSFW - language)

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/10/10/joe-thorntons-response-to-those-who-criticize-tomas-hertl-for-showboating/

I love the answer and the guys calling Hertl disrespectful are just another examples of the dinosaur thinking of the old boy's network IMO.

Here's the league that allows fighting and even encourages it as a method of policing, and yet calls out as showboating the very plays which makes hockey as great as it could be.

What an embarrassment. Good on Thornton, and Adam Oates should just leave. Hearing that guys would fear for retribution and being on IR if they did that should be a massive wake-up call to the league.

Gawd. Staggeringly stupid.

Joe Thornton was asked about Tomas Hertl's showboating and about Adam Oates calling it disrespectful to the league.

His response is amazing, (and mildly NSFW - language)

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/10/10/joe-thorntons-response-to-those-who-criticize-tomas-hertl-for-showboating/

I love the answer and the guys calling Hertl disrespectful are just another examples of the dinosaur thinking of the old boy's network IMO.

I laughed out loud so loudly that I almost woke up my girlfriend. What a quote! And Scrivens' comment is pretty funny too.

Between Hertl's brilliance and Thornton's hilarity, San Jose has instantly become everyone's second favourite team.

Honestly, in two days of listening to sports radio and following these blogs, I haven't heard ANY fan who is upset about what Hertl did. I think the whole notion that he did something out of line is completely manufactured by the media looking for a story (and influenced by Don Cherry's lunatic, yet trusted, account of The Code). If Hertl tries that and misses, everyone says what a boob he is, and fair enough; but the bottom line is he scored on the play, and last I checked that's the name of the game. Only in the NHL would players have their safety threatened because they're too entertaining (or too skilled).