2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Some reports suggest that Kesler would have blocked a deal with NYR.

Probably because of Vigneault...

I believe that a NTC should be waived after the player asked himself to be traded. It's bullshit.

Good for Luongo, Gillis is a baaadddd GM, and has been a total dick to Luongo since he took over. Hired a dick coach, and they are free falling. Luongo never was the Canucks biggest problem, it's a serious lack of testosterone in their highest paid players, outside of Kesler and Bieksa. Enjoy the sunny weather Lou....

Good for Luongo, Gillis is a baaadddd GM, and has been a total dick to Luongo since he took over. Hired a dick coach, and they are free falling. Luongo never was the Canucks biggest problem, it's a serious lack of testosterone in their highest paid players, outside of Kesler and Bieksa. Enjoy the sunny weather Lou....

I don't know if I'd call him a bad GM. He's a flawed GM much like Burke. There's things like contract negotiations which Gillis has been pretty great in. Always gets Canucks players at a million less than expected. He has brought in some fantastic defensive options for the Canucks as well. Some of his problems are similar to a lot of GMs. He has really failed finding a guy to click with the Sedin's long term and his handling of the second and fourth lines have left something to be desired. He made a real mess out of Luongo/Schneider. The only team I can think of that bungled up having two number one goalies worse is the Chicago Blackhawks when they had Hasek and Belfour.

I'd love to have a GM "Committee" where Burke negotiates trades, Gillis negotiates contracts and Timmins runs the draft. Bergevin can deal with the media.

I The only team I can think of that bungled up having two number one goalies worse is the Chicago Blackhawks when they had Hasek and Belfour.

Well there was Detroit back in 02-03 I believe it was when they had Hasek who came out of retirement and Curtis joseph was signed as well as Manny Legace. They had over 15 million tied up in goalies. That was a mess.

So looking at the trades in the East:

Atlantic Division

Boston: Picks up Meszaros and a really bad defenceman on waivers only Tom Renney ever liked.

Toronto: No Moves.

Buffalo: Going for the basement with Holtby and Klesla

Florida: Gets Luongo, will be better in net.

Tampa Bay: Loses St. Louis, gains Callahan, gets Stamkos back from injury.

Ottawa: Hemsky.

Montreal: Wins the Vanek sweepstakes, picks up Weaver.

Overall: Montreal and Florida are the only teams that got significantly better. Callahan won't replace St. Louis' elite offence. Hemsky is overrated. Boston is trying to keep their defence together.

Metropolitan Division

New York: gets St. Louis and Diaz, loses Callahan

Pittsburgh: Picks up Stempniak and Goc

Islanders: Lose MacDonald and Vanek

Philadelphia: Adds MacDonald, trades Meszaros

Carolina: Trades Ruutu

New Jersey: Gains Ruutu

Washington: Gains Halak and Penner, lose Holtby and a recently traded for Klesla

Columbus: Trades Gaborik, gains Schultz and Frattin

Overall: Washington and New York come looking the best. Goc and Stempniak are added depth for the Penguins but they really needed another blueliner. Islanders are going down the drain. Carolina and New Jersey don't change enough to warrant a big push. Columbus went sideways as well.

You can say what you want about Buffalo, they end up with a ton of picks and I have appreciated their recent drafting. I see them being a very competitive team in a few years depending on them getting the organization (management) straightened around. Before you remind me of Edmonton, i don't think that situation duplicates in Buffalo.

You can say what you want about Buffalo, they end up with a ton of picks and I have appreciated their recent drafting. I see them being a very competitive team in a few years depending on them getting the organization (management) straightened around. Before you remind me of Edmonton, i don't think that situation duplicates in Buffalo.

I was talking with a co-worker about Edmonton the other day and we agreed that the Oilers need someone to tell the boys they gotta become men and then someone to tell the men (Lowe, MacTavish) to stop acting like boys. Very few teams have that issue right now.

I was talking with a co-worker about Edmonton the other day and we agreed that the Oilers need someone to tell the boys they gotta become men and then someone to tell the men (Lowe, MacTavish) to stop acting like boys. Very few teams have that issue right now.

My point with Buffalo is that they have taken a step forward by purging their roster. There have been many comments on here about getting in a middle position and not being able to get the necessary assets to move to the top level, much like Montreal for a long time. i think both Montreal and Buffalo won at the deadline. As for Edmonton, they seemed to forget to pick up a #1 goalie and a #1 defenseman with all those high picks.

For some reason I feel like Montreal might be better off starting the playoffs on the road, so the 3 seed might be better with a trip to Tampa. But we definitely want to avoid the wildcard and facing either the Bruins or Pens.

Strange as it sounds, Tampa worries me more than Boston or Pittsburgh when it comes to the playoffs. Boston is a better team, of course, but we seem to have a psychological edge over them (kinda like TO tends to have against us). As long as Pittsburgh is missing Letang and has Fleury in the nets, we have a legit chance to upset them if we are playing the way we can. But TB is the kind of team nobody pays attention to and seems to have a bit of a history of beating us. It doesn't help that the French media is fond of them due to their now-evaporated francophone connection. I dunno, the Lightning just give me bad vibes. I don't want to meet them in the dance.

Strange as it sounds, Tampa worries me more than Boston or Pittsburgh when it comes to the playoffs. Boston is a better team, of course, but we seem to have a psychological edge over them (kinda like TO tends to have against us). As long as Pittsburgh is missing Letang and has Fleury in the nets, we have a legit chance to upset them if we are playing the way we can. But TB is the kind of team nobody pays attention to and seems to have a bit of a history of beating us. It doesn't help that the French media is fond of them due to their now-evaporated francophone connection. I dunno, the Lightning just give me bad vibes. I don't want to meet them in the dance.

I agree and just 16 games till real Hab season begins.

And Habs have more games played than most, so will have a tiny bit easier final month schedule.

But, I don't think any East opponent strikes fear in most, especially with Habs ability to beat Bruins.