2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

So in the summer, New Jersey buys out Johan Hedberg after acquiring Cory Schneider. Today, the Devils signed Hedberg to a minor league contract. That's something you don't see every day, especially since New Jersey can't bring him back on an NHL deal if they do wind up trading Brodeur, bought out players must go a full calendar year before re-joining their old squad.

Linus Omark gets dealt to the Sabres for a conditional 2014 6th rounder. Buffalo now has Linus Omark and Linus Ullmark. Thankfully the latter is a goalie or that could have been a commentators' nightmare down the road.

His stint with the Sabres now appears to be over. After clearing waivers, Omark refused to report to the minors. If you can't crack Edmonton or Buffalo, your NHL future is very bleak. The condition on the 6th rounder reportedly was 15 NHL GP and Omark has only played 13 so the Oilers likely won't get anything out of this. Buffalo didn't either though as Omark had just 2 assists a -5 rating in his 13 games. I see release waivers coming for him in the near future.

Ouch. They're reporting that Tavares will miss the remainder of the season with his knee injury. The Vanek trade is looking worse and worse.

Ouch. They're reporting that Tavares will miss the remainder of the season with his knee injury. The Vanek trade is looking worse and worse.

It's okay, I mean Team Canada was only playing one of the three best Canadian forwards on the fourth line. It ain't like they lost first liner Chris Kunitz or anything.

Buffalo's really doing the rebuild the right way. I like the Miller trade for them, while it's also good for St. Louis who have a shot at the Cup. But if you break it down as Miller for Halak, prospect and a 1st and 3rd, and Ott for Stewart, both look good for the Sabres. Halak and Stewart both can be flipped for more futures.

With a great draft last year and what should be another this year, Buffalo's putting themselves in a very good position in 3-5 years, around when Boston's core should be tapering off.

It's worth noting that the 1st from the Blues is in 2015 and with the Islanders tapering off, the 1st that they owe to the Sabres will also be in 2015. That's supposed to be a particularly deep draft.

It's worth noting that the 1st from the Blues is in 2015 and with the Islanders tapering off, the 1st that they owe to the Sabres will also be in 2015. That's supposed to be a particularly deep draft.

It looks like they'll have 3 or 4 drafts in a row in which they stockpile high-end prospects. That's something that the Habs and other teams lingering in the middle ground haven't done. It remains to be seen on whether or not they follow through with good scouting, but they're in a good position.

There's also a conditional 2016 3rd round pick in the deal. As it turns out, it's either that or St. Louis' 2014 1st. Buffalo will pick up the extra 1st rounder if Miller re-signs before the draft (doubtful, they'd wait until after to announce a deal to avoid giving it up) or if the Blues reach the conference finals. I know it'll be a late pick but that will make the trade even better for them. If neither happen, then Buffalo gets the 2016 3rd.

There's speculation that a management shakeup in Buffalo is on the horizon, potentially team president Pat LaFontaine stepping aside. The speculation is that it either pertains to Ted Nolan's status, or something to do with yesterday's trade. LaFontaine had spoken out many times about prioritizing keeping Miller in the fold.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/03/reports-sabres-front-office-discord-could-involve-lafontaine.html

According to CBC, Martin Brodeur has informed the Devils that he will waive his NTC if he gets traded somewhere where he can get more playing time. The question is, given how Brodeur has played this year, what teams would those be? I can't see teams lining up to get him.

According to CBC, Martin Brodeur has informed the Devils that he will waive his NTC if he gets traded somewhere where he can get more playing time. The question is, given how Brodeur has played this year, what teams would those be? I can't see teams lining up to get him.

With his playoff record, you know some GM will bite.

I can't see them doing it but moving Brodeur to Pittsburgh makes the most sense. Everyone knows that Fleury busts in the playoffs more often than not. Then again if I was the Penguins I'd instead be tossing the Sabres a second rounder for Halak.

I can't see them doing it but moving Brodeur to Pittsburgh makes the most sense. Everyone knows that Fleury busts in the playoffs more often than not. Then again if I was the Penguins I'd instead be tossing the Sabres a second rounder for Halak.

They can't afford to take him on straight up. Even if they throw Vokoun in they'd still be over the cap (and exceeding LTIR credits). Buffalo's out of RST's (retained salary transactions) as well so I don't see Pittsburgh being a fit for Halak. That's the one thing that bugs me when I see Kesler linked to them too, there's no way the Pens can afford him either unless they're more or less sending matching salary (or Vancouver's eating a big chunk of his contract which isn't likely).

Pittsburgh's pretty much gone all-in on Fleury, haven't they? I don't see them changing horses in midstream given that their man - who I wouldn't want anywhere near the CH, incidentally - has played well this season, seeming to validate their decision.

What other teams are in or close to the playoff mix but suffering from inadequate netminding? Ottawa? Washington? Philly? I'd say Minny would have the most urgent need.

The matter was sealed when he was benched for the outdoor game. They might as well have spat in his face.

Never has such a quality player had to endure so much unwarranted humiliation, but his millions will help him to sleep at night. Now he's back with the Missus in a pressure-free non-hockey market. Good on him. He will now never win a Cup, but he'll be able to ease into his hockey dotage in comfort after a bizarre few years in the Goalie Graveyard.

Frankly, even with swallowing part of the salary, I think the Canuckleheads made a surprisingly good deal. Matthias will help shore up their top-9, which they desperately need. Of course they're relying on ridiculously inexperienced netminding, but goaltenders are, as we've seen, pretty easy to come by for some reason, and Bobby Loo is off the cap (at least until he retires and they have to pay the recapture penalty :rofl:).

That is, they made a good deal under the circumstances. Zoom out and look at the big picture, they completely bungled the entire goaltending file. They should have quietly shopped BOTH Schneider and Luongo and gotten the best deal back. Ah well, no skin off my schnozz.

I don't see Lack or Markstrom as starters. Which is good since the Canucks will be in the basement with the Oilers and Flames.

Matthias seems like a good addition to their top 9 until you realize Kesler will be going and Matthias will be expected to play top six.

I don't see Lack or Markstrom as starters. Which is good since the Canucks will be in the basement with the Oilers and Flames.

Matthias seems like a good addition to their top 9 until you realize Kesler will be going and Matthias will be expected to play top six.

I don't think a Lack/Markstrom tandem is the future for them either but they'll have cap space (and a #1 position) to dangle at some of the UFA goalies out there.