Most overrated/underrated Habs?

dlbalr

We're going to have another few hybrid Writers Weigh In/Around The Boards articles on the site in the days/weeks ahead. Two of the topics our writers have discussed are who are the most overrated and underrated Habs on the current team? There were a few different names bandied about in each category, I suspect you guys will come up with a variety as well. As always, some of your answers will appear in the article on the site.

Overrated

Jaroslav Halak: One post-season was all he really had. Never been a consistent goalie. He never got the reins so he'll always be a "what if" like Bunny was.

Trevor Linden: He wasn't in Montreal for long and was here during the worst time but Linden seems to get overrated since then as this super magical power forward we had been missing and how great he was for us. Linden played with no passion as he was still bitter from leaving Vancouver a few years back due to Messier. Did nothing for me.

The Kostitsyns: Andrei and Sergei were given every single excuse in the book for how they played and while they were skilled, they were never as good as people thought they could be.

Ryan O'Byrne: Similar to the Kostitsyn's. People made every excuse in the book for the guy because they loved his size. Truth was he was never a good defenceman.

Underrated

Martin Rucinsky: Tends to be remembered negatively due to being part of the Roy deal. Always just a solid forward. I used to wear 26 because Rucinsky's was Damphousse's left winger. Good player during a bad Habs era.

Brian Bellows: Only player who seems to get forgotten more from 93 is Denis Savard but he was in and out of the lineup with injuries so it made sense. Bellows was such a great story. One of the best known Minnesota North Stars players gets dealt, is furious about it so he helps Montreal win a Cup with a fantastic 40 goal campaign.

Russ Courtnall: One of the best trades in Habs history was getting this guy for John Kordic. Tons of skill, wasn't here long, traded before we won the Cup in 93.

Ron Tugnutt: Better than just a backup. Roy treated him like crap. Habs fans always treated him like a backup but he was far better than that. Blew me away when the Penguins didn't keep him after posting a 1.76GAA and a .945 save percentage in 11 playoff games in 99-00. He wasn't great in Montreal but if we were more patient with him, once Roy left I think he could have been our starter. He had the ability, we just didn't give him a chance.

Most Underrated: For me that award goes to Budaj who played much better than anyone thought in limited service.

Most Overrated: I think Desharnais was still getting big time ice minutes last year late, with waning results

Overrated : Markov. I don't see him as a superstar dman anymore. Yes, a VERY VERY good 2nd dman though. But I believe that he's not AS GOOD as people tend to think.

Underrated : On this board : Bourque. Keeps on bringing a very good effort since last season. In Quebec : Price. Everyone wants to see a "Roy esque" goalie. But the thruth is that there is none in this league anymore.

Most underrated: Travis Moen. Not too many teams underrate a guy who's 6'2 220, scored the game winning goal in the SCF, can fight, and fill in on the top lines in a pinch, but that's what's happened. Moen is a top defensive forward and a Habs mainstay, who is suffering from the "what have you done for me lately" line of thought.

Most Overrated-Andrei Markov. His health and the Canadiens' success have gone hand in hand the last five years, but at this point in his career he's a serious defensive liability, and earns his meal ticket passing the puck to PK on the power play.

Underrated- Diaz; He is what he is, a good (relatively inexperienced) offensive d-man, who is still a work in progress in own end; but that is typical for most offensive d-men with only 84 NHL games experience.

Overrated- Markov Parros or Briere are only two I can think of and I am sorry that he is hurt, but got to say Parros adds or potentially adds the least in actually winning Stanley cup.

(Briere, no matter how bad a regular season he has, until he sucks in late April-May, he may actually be a useful addition for this young team too go deep?).

Underrated

Rene Bourque. Hasn't shown the inconsistency that has plagued his career before Montreal. Or maybe he just gets injured the moment he's going to become inconsistent. Jokes aside, he has played great as a Canadien and gets quite overlooked.

Brian Gionta. Rarely if ever gets the credit he deserves. He works so hard and scores plenty. He has been a very good captain for Montreal.

Overrated

Alex Emelin. By just a little. The Ottawa series gets blamed on for him not in the lineup when the team couldn't score goals on Anderson. Don't think Emelin in the lineup would have got Pacioretty a hotter stick.

That's about it. For the most part I like the team. I don't consider Markov as overrated as others do. Then again I'm probably someone who gets accused of it. Too early for me to pass judgments on certain guys. If Gabriel Dumont was still on the team I'd include him because people acted like he was playing way better than he was.

Overrated: Desharnais, not by people here on this forums but by Therrien for playing him to much and by media for not making a big deal about it.

Underrated: Tough one but I'll pick Diaz.

Overrated: Pacioretty. Before anybody jumps all over me, let me just say that I want to see a full season from him (without injury, oops too late) where he matches what he did in 2011. Remember, his line with Desharnais and Cole was a top line on the worst team in the NHL a few years ago. Now that the Habs are turning things around, let's see him dominate a game the way we're all waiting for him to do on a good team.

Underrated: Plekanec. CC says it best, Plex is a glue-guy. He played his 600th game as a Canadien the other night and he does all the little things right.

Overrated: Pacioretty. Before anybody jumps all over me, let me just say that I want to see a full season from him (without injury, oops too late) where he matches what he did in 2011. Remember, his line with Desharnais and Cole was a top line on the worst team in the NHL a few years ago. Now that the Habs are turning things around, let's see him dominate a game the way we're all waiting for him to do on a good team.

Underrated: Plekanec. CC says it best, Plex is a glue-guy. He played his 600th game as a Canadien the other night and he does all the little things right.

Between Plekanec, Gionta, Moen, and Gorges, the fans are dying for MB to trade our veteran core.

Overrated: Markov - He's a great offensive talent, but I actually think he's a defensive liability now. I've seen him turn the puck over with a reckless pass quite a few times, and he just doesn't have the speed to recover anymore. I believe Bozak burned him in the first game.

Desharnais - like mentioned above, not by us but by the coaching staff. Can't believe he was the too used forward against t.o.

Gorges: I love him, want him on the team and think he's great but he is top 4 at best often being paired top 2. Subban makes him look pretty damn good though, and they have chemistry.

Underrated: Eller - I don't think he'll be underrated for long the way he's going.

I'm not really sure how the trade scene really works but I can't help but feel there's an opportunity to trade for one of edmontons young wingers. They need a centre man badly. I'd like to unload Desharnais along with a first round pick and a prospect or two (say dietz/Colberg) for Eberle or Yakupov

Edited by Meller93

Overrated: Markov - He's a great offensive talent, but I actually think he's a defensive liability now. I've seen him turn the puck over with a reckless pass quite a few times, and he just doesn't have the speed to recover anymore. I believe Bozak burned him in the first game.

Desharnais - like mentioned above, not by us but by the coaching staff. Can't believe he was the too used forward against t.o.

Gorges: I love him, want him on the team and think he's great but he is top 4 at best often being paired top 2. Subban makes him look pretty damn good though, and they have chemistry.

Underrated: Eller - I don't think he'll be underrated for long the way he's going.

I'm not really sure how the trade scene really works but I can't help but feel there's an opportunity to trade for one of edmontons young wingers. They need a centre man badly. I'd like to unload Desharnais along with a first round pick and a prospect or two (say dietz/Colberg) for Eberle or Yakupov

I think it would take a very poor start, Beaulieu and a 2nd to get Gagner. Along with Desharnais.

I don't want to turn this into a trade thread - we have a trade proposal thread - but Edmonton isn't trading Eberle for an underperforming centre and a prospect or two (and a pick whose value is far from being determined). He's a legit front liner and would be worth significantly more. Quantity for quality trades seldom happen nowadays.

Markov has entered a sort of hallowed ground for many people. Each zone clearance or successful puck battle has become a sublime work of brilliant artistry. He could adjust his jock strap and people would wonder at his economy of motion and superior hockey IQ.

• Upvote 3

Markov has entered a sort of hallowed ground for many people. Each zone clearance or successful puck battle has become a sublime work of brilliant artistry. He could adjust his jock strap and people would wonder at his economy of motion and superior hockey IQ.

I love this.

But I also love Markov.

Underatted: just to be different Im going for Therrien. Lots of people (including myself) were dissapointed to say the least, when he was hired, but overall I can't help but be impressed with how he's brought on the youngsters and has the habs playing attractive hockey.

Overatted: I find it difficult for this because one bad period in montreal has a 20000 person facebook page screaming for your immediate trade. However despite saying that, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say Desharnais, and even then, I only think hes overatted by Therrien, MB and Patches.

I love this.

But I also love Markov.

I don't recall anyone making excuses when Markov had that powerplay flub, but those who don't like Markov immediately went to exaggerated hyperbole about how he's no longer a capable NHLer and that it was proof he wasn't good anymore. Sorry if I'm gonna defend a player against hyperbole 9 times out of 10. If anyone wants to bash Joe Thornton I'm more than happy to ignore any exaggerations.

Underrated: I'll say Gionta, because he has been ungratefully regarded as nothing but a salary anchor and potential deadline bait by a preponderance of fans on message boards for the past two years, despite his significant contributions. Gorges and Moen also come to mind (although the latter's dismal performance last season rather justifies dismissals of his merits). These are all cases where salary distorts our assessment of the actual player. Plekanec, too, is underrated, in that his name keeps bobbing up in trade rumours created by people who apparently fail to realize that he is one of this team's indispensable men.

Overrated: you know, I don't think the Habs really have any overrated players. Briere is overrated by the French media, but not by anybody who isn't blinded by nativist biases; Price *was* overrated for a few years there, but the world has caught on to his limitations. Montreal is sort of the opposite of TO, where mediocrities are routinely hailed as supermen. Our guys tend to fly under the radar of the hockey universe due to the fact that the English Canadian media doesn't pay all that much attention. Even PK Subban is underrated by a significant segment of the professional commentariat IMHO.

Gionta get's underrated, like Mr. Cucumber eloquently put it. It's as if the organization does it as well. Handing the torch over to Briere first instead of the captain, on opening night.

• Upvote 1

The only reason that should have happened is because they did it in alphabetical order.

Gionta get's underrated, like Mr. Cucumber eloquently put it. It's as if the organization does it as well. Handing the torch over to Briere first instead of the captain, on opening night.

I checked Google for this. Something that is effed up, if you search "Montreal Canadiens roster" on Google when you scroll through the top images, Eller's picture is him on a stretcher, bloodied.

I don't really agree. The new frenchie messiah :lol: first and, at the very end, the 2 assistants, the captain and the coach. I thought the order was pretty logical. Brière first was just for the show. Not because they underrate their own captain. IMO.

Underrated by Habs Fans: Gionta. He picks up a lot of flack all over the internet, even on here. He has been "washed up" in many peoples minds for years (even when he was leading us in scoring). He works hard every night, scorers, brings a lot to the table. Never have had anything bad to say about Gio and I don't think I ever have said man Gio misplayed that or Gio mistake cost us that goal in his entire time here.

Though I have to say Moen is a really close 2nd. He gets so much needless hate. People say he doesn't hit.... but leads the team in hits at points during the year. Makes no sense.

Underrated by Non-Habs Fans: Tomas Plekanec. Yes right now he isn't doing that special but I mean over the past few years Pleks has not gotten any recognition for his stellar play.

Overrated by Habs Fans: To This Point In The Season.... Tinordi. He really under performed and cost us big goals in his first few games after a lot of people were hyping him maybe even to crack top 4 this year. (I mean he did look very good at times during the pre-season).

Note: A lot of people say Markov but I think there has been an equal amount of skepticism around his knee to balance out people seeing him as the old Markov.

Overrated by Non-Habs Fans: Alex Galchenyuk. i don't think I've seen a 3rd overall get less press coverage ever. (He is tied for the league lead in points atm anyone notice that :D). Not saying he will be a lead leader in points in a couple months or anything but he has played great but Eller, Gally (the smaller one :P), Subban draw the headlines so far.

Most Divisive Player: Rapha Diaz. Ask people their opinion on Diaz and you'll get... COMPLETELY different interpretations of him from solid #3 to Barley a 7th and the reason we won't compete.

For Staff I agree that Therrien is overrated and I don't like much that he has done tbh. Not that I overly dislike him I just don't think he had much to do with Montreal's season last year.

Underrated at least in the league (at least by fans) is how good Trevor Timmins (aka montreal's scouting over his tenure) has been. Its just hidden by how many guys he drafted who have been shipped out or left.

Galchenyuk's minimal press coverage is a good example of what happens in Montreal. You have to be a special case - a charismatic and controversial loudmouth like PK, a smurf who triumphantly defies all odds like Gallagher, or a controversial pick like Price - to penetrate the fog of semi-indifference about the Habs in the English Canadian media. If Galchenyuk were a Leaf, he would already be a household name across the country, if not the entire hockey-following part of the continent.

• Upvote 1