Most overrated/underrated Habs?

dlbalr

We're going to have another few hybrid Writers Weigh In/Around The Boards articles on the site in the days/weeks ahead. .

Just wanted to say that these articles were why i originally joined the forum years back :)

Galchenyuk's minimal press coverage is a good example of what happens in Montreal. You have to be a special case - a charismatic and controversial loudmouth like PK, a smurf who triumphantly defies all odds like Gallagher, or a controversial pick like Price - to penetrate the fog of semi-indifference about the Habs in the English Canadian media. If Galchenyuk were a Leaf, he would already be a household name across the country, if not the entire hockey-following part of the continent.

Agree, but don't really put a lot of stock in Toronto media bias, if Toronto was French and Montreal English, leaf fans would be saying same stuff. I am sure Leafs don't get a lot of coverage in Montreal do they, in BC it is all-Canucks all the time and rosters of East teams are quite unknown or ignored.

And young stars on many teams, not based in Toronto, get dick-all notoriety; like a Brodin in Minni who is just a super looking young d-man.

Is a bit irritating (especially CBC) but fact of life I guess.

Agree, but don't really put a lot of stock in Toronto media bias, if Toronto was French and Montreal English, leaf fans would be saying same stuff. I am sure Leafs don't get a lot of coverage in Montreal do they, in BC it is all-Canucks all the time and rosters of East teams are quite unknown or ignored.

And young stars on many teams, not based in Toronto, get dick-all notoriety; like a Brodin in Minni who is just a super looking young d-man.

Is a bit irritating (especially CBC) but fact of life I guess.

This is why I care to read Mathias Brunet's articles and blog on Lapresse.ca. He is pretty much the only one in Quebec who focuses on anything else than news about the Habs.

He makes sure to highlight any performance or player that deserves a spotlight for a reason or another (stories, hot/cold streak, prospects, injuries, etc).

Edkman-Larsson is another good example of a fantastic D-man getting no coverage.

What's even funnier is how Toronto gave up Alex Steen for nothing and he's finally developed into the top six forward that he was projected to be. Not a word about it in the Toronto media corners.

AEL is amazing and really fun to watch.

I really wish the Habs had one more stud young de man.

By the time Beaulieu/Tinordi and maybe Deitz-Nygren-Pateryn-Bennett or Thrower get same NHL experience as Ekman-Larsson has now, @184 games; one or more should be all-star material, I am hoping?

But, till then I am not displeased at all with d-core/depth and once Yemelin comes back, it should be a bit of relief for Habs d and 79 in particular.

Overrated- This is a tough one since I don't think we overrate too many of our own players in fact I think has fans can be a but too harsh on some of the players :D.

Underrated- I say Bourque is pretty underrated. He will have his bad games but come crunch time he will throw hits and go to the net. Just look at how he stepped it up during last year's playoffs. Pleks is also pretty underrated since although he doesn't score a lot that is mostly because he is busy shutting down other team's top lines. He's like a Carbo lite

• 2 weeks later...

Since the thread was introduced, I had a gut feeling on who the most underrated Hab really was. I'm pretty satisfied at this point that my initial instincts feel vindicated by the first part of the year. Markov is, by far, the most underrated Hab, both within the Canadiens fan-base as well as throughout the league. I wonder what his value might be had he not suffered a few of those injuries, because I think he would have been in Norris consideration a few times, and may very well have won it. He's such a smart player, and I can see him playing another few years at a very high level.

Coming in a close second place is Plekanec who does so many little things that go overlooked when he isn't scoring. I think it was Cuke who first called him a glue-guy, and that's a very apt label.

As for overrated, I don't really have much opinion on this. Every player is vastly overrated by someone - I remember people feeling Jason Ward was all that (even though he needed to hit the boards before he turned cause the guy just couldn't skate). If I had to name someone, though, I'd call out White. I think there's a lot of commentary about what he is, and what he brings to the team, except he's changed his game so much in the last year (because he was taking horrid penalties) that he's lost a lot of the edge that made him the effective agitator he needed to be. Trizz was the one who said it to me best, every team needs a little crazy because it keeps the opposition on its toes. White has lost the crazy and he just isn't good enough to be anything but that.

Since the thread was introduced, I had a gut feeling on who the most underrated Hab really was. I'm pretty satisfied at this point that my initial instincts feel vindicated by the first part of the year. Markov is, by far, the most underrated Hab, both within the Canadiens fan-base as well as throughout the league. I wonder what his value might be had he not suffered a few of those injuries, because I think he would have been in Norris consideration a few times, and may very well have won it. He's such a smart player, and I can see him playing another few years at a very high level.

Coming in a close second place is Plekanec who does so many little things that go overlooked when he isn't scoring. I think it was Cuke who first called him a glue-guy, and that's a very apt label.

As for overrated, I don't really have much opinion on this. Every player is vastly overrated by someone - I remember people feeling Jason Ward was all that (even though he needed to hit the boards before he turned cause the guy just couldn't skate). If I had to name someone, though, I'd call out White. I think there's a lot of commentary about what he is, and what he brings to the team, except he's changed his game so much in the last year (because he was taking horrid penalties) that he's lost a lot of the edge that made him the effective agitator he needed to be. Trizz was the one who said it to me best, every team needs a little crazy because it keeps the opposition on its toes. White has lost the crazy and he just isn't good enough to be anything but that.

White still leads Habs regulars in PIMs, good on faceoffs and taking important defensive zone ones (with Eller moving to wing), 4th in forward PK time, but only playing 10minutes/game.

So if he is overrated, I think you simply have too high expectations from a 4th line centre (I would also guess is being kept on a short leash by coachs)?

White still leads Habs regulars in PIMs, good on faceoffs and taking important defensive zone ones (with Eller moving to wing), 4th in forward PK time, but only playing 10minutes/game.

So if he is overrated, I think you simply have too high expectations from a 4th line centre (I would also guess is being kept on a short leash by coachs)?

Well, like I said, I really don't have much opinion on it, but with a gun to my head I'd choose White. I don't disagree with anything you've said, really.

Well, like I said, I really don't have much opinion on it, but with a gun to my head I'd choose White. I don't disagree with anything you've said, really.

sure, just seems many expect a player to be X and if dosent play like X they say WTF, he is a bum/bust (like with a Diaz, no one said he a super fit as a top 4 d-man this early in his NHL career), when it was unrealistic expectation fan(s) had that is more the issue.

Regarding White, I gave him serious consideration for my pick as overrated. There are some who feel he's a core piece to the team whereas I believe he's an interchangeable part. That alone makes a case to be made (on my end, at least).

We had an opening in the schedule today so here's the second half of this mini-series, our picks for the most overrated Habs:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3248

As far as white does, he does well on draws, stands up for guys even when out matched and has been very strong positionally. Hard to say overrated as he never gets press or much ice time and plays 4th line.

Overrated: Patches as far as guys who are expected to produce, get top minutes. Puts himself in vulnerable positions without getting any pay offs for it, doesn't hit, misses net in shoot outs, hasn't really done anything since Cole left but keeps getting lots of t.o.i..

Underrated: Gallagher. He has consistently been one of the best players on either team any given night, is producing, had been good an draws when needed and gets into the dirty areas. We need a big forward that can do these things as Patches, Bourque, Moen do not seem to do it consistently enough. Those three should give opposing dmen nightmares but they hardly throw their weight around.

Guest Stogey24

As far as white does, he does well on draws, stands up for guys even when out matched and has been very strong positionally. Hard to say overrated as he never gets press or much ice time and plays 4th line.

Overrated: Patches as far as guys who are expected to produce, get top minutes. Puts himself in vulnerable positions without getting any pay offs for it, doesn't hit, misses net in shoot outs, hasn't really done anything since Cole left but keeps getting lots of t.o.i..

Underrated: Gallagher. He has consistently been one of the best players on either team any given night, is producing, had been good an draws when needed and gets into the dirty areas. We need a big forward that can do these things as Patches, Bourque, Moen do not seem to do it consistently enough. Those three should give opposing dmen nightmares but they hardly throw their weight around.

I agree with Patches being overrated. He desperately needs to work on his decision making with the puck.

I wish I could remember who led the Canadiens in scoring last season but I seem to be drawing a blank...

• Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24

From the article, I agree with Gorges. He's not physical and not good with the puck. I don't know if we can be a contender with him in our top 4.

He's 3rd in the league in blocked shots.

I wish I could remember who led the Canadiens in scoring last season but I seem to be drawing a blank...

that really doesn't say much. Current roster + current year as far as this thread goes.

He's 3rd in the league in blocked shots.

Yes, just ahead of such world-beaters as Mike Weaver, Carl Gunnarson, and Nicklas Grossman. Blocked shots are better than nothing, but they also show that we spent a lot of time in our own end without the puck while that player is on the ice.

Yes, just ahead of such world-beaters Mike Weaver, Carl Gunnarson, and Nicklas Grossman. Blocked shots are better than nothing, but they also show that we spent a lot of time in our own end without the puck while that player is on the ice.

Defensive d-men do not carry the puck end to end very often and ask Price whether he appreciates blocked shots or not. And if you dont realize the importance of it and the pain shot blockers put up with for the sake of the team, what can i say?

Defensive d-men do not carry the puck end to end very often and ask Price whether he appreciates blocked shots or not. And if you dont realize the importance of it and the pain shot blockers put up with for the sake of the team, what can i say?

I mentioned that they're better than nothing, but there's a reason why the top defensive defensemen who play more minutes than Gorges aren't at the top of this list: they win puck battles and clear the zone.