Lars Eller Coming Into His Own

Commandant

Eller won't get much more than a quarter of his current pace.

He will finish the year with a little over 50 points, 60 would be incredible.

I feel when the kid line/egg line begin to draw more difficult match ups the production will dry up.

Eller won't get much more than a quarter of his current pace.

He will finish the year with a little over 50 points, 60 would be incredible.

I feel when the kid line/egg line begin to draw more difficult match ups the production will dry up.

That may be true, but if that leads to easy matches for Pacioretty, he'll eat them alive. Great thing about having 3 lines, they can't match em all.

I like how the "Last Word on Sports" articles are over 300 words. Some of the hockey blogs out there (cough cough, Puck Daddy) are turning into glorified twitter postings.

Thanks. We tell our writers 400 minimum and up to 1500 is fine.

Anything over that, clear it with an admin before you write it (And we have a lot longer than that).

We try to be more in depth than other places. You can't compete with TSN or Sportsnet, or Yahoo, or whoever if you write the same bare bones articles. They are just too big and you'll never carve your niche.

I've always thought Ellers ceiling is much higher than people think, and I still believe that. I think he's capable of 65-70 point seasons, and he will approach that this year. His strength seems much better this year, he's able to push players off and continue the play. He's always flashed offensive potential, just needs to be consistent. Now that he is playing with 2 gifted players, the 3 of them should continue to light it up.

The kid is only 24. That's the scary part...he's just scratching the surface. I take the point about facing top lines, but my guess is that a 60-70 point ceiling is not beyond the realm of possibility for this player. He's shaping up to be a guy who could potentially anchor our team down the middle, a very dangerous #2 C who quietly does a lot of damage playing behind the big star (Galchenyuk). That's the fantasy, anyway.

I think we should give some props to the Goat. Even if Eller tapers off into a big, rangy 50-60 point all-around centreman, the fact is Gauthier made a trade that will benefit us for years to come. A pity that Gauthier was so horrendous at managing people. Because a case can be made that his hockey decisions were, by and large, pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Seems to me this is just about the same age Plekanec came into his own. I think you need to at least give players a few years to mature at the NHL level before one begins to get a real sense how good they may be. Sometimes there will not be an opportunity in top roles .

He needs to find consistency first. I know some are attaching his end of season stats from last year but I want to see how Eller plays after the upcoming road trip, how he plays after the break, how he plays after the deadline, etc. before we anoint him anything.

That said I have all of the faith in the world he will. Especially since it'll look great on Pierre McGuire.

He needs to find consistency first. I know some are attaching his end of season stats from last year but I want to see how Eller plays after the upcoming road trip, how he plays after the break, how he plays after the deadline, etc. before we anoint him anything.

That said I have all of the faith in the world he will. Especially since it'll look great on Pierre McGuire.

Bit of mixed message in post. I agree with 2nd sentence, but I find McQuire quite irrelevant now that he is gone from TSN, thank god.

Eller has improved every year with sheltered minutes and is safe to say his current value is agreed too by most. And with over 200 games under his belt the only questions I can think of are;

whether he can he handle 1st line defensive duty as well as (maybe better than?) #14,

can he still produce vs. the #1 checking lines,

can his faceoff % continue to improve and

will he still produce once Galchenyuk moves on to centre Pacioretty and Briere?