2013-14 General Bulldogs Thread

dlbalr

Andrighetto is skating with team and may not be too far away from a return.

Commentator had Leblanc as best or top-2 Bulldog in yesterday's loss, which is encouraging. It sounded like Pateryn/Holland were more involved in play and Tinordi was physical again.

There's a Swiss-based report saying that the Habs/Bulldogs are going to loan out Mayer to Geneve-Servette for the Spengler Cup at the end of the month. Hamilton has three games during that stretch (the 26th through the 28th) so Tokarski should get at least two of those games.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?18509

There's a Swiss-based report saying that the Habs/Bulldogs are going to loan out Mayer to Geneve-Servette for the Spengler Cup at the end of the month. Hamilton has three games during that stretch (the 26th through the 28th) so Tokarski should get at least two of those games.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?18509

A small X-mas present for you (maybe).

A small X-mas present for you (maybe).

Not just for me, for everyone, especially the Bulldogs (even if the coaches don't realize it). The better news is that Geneve-Servette isn't in Canada's division in the tournament so I won't have to see him in the round robin section of the tournament. (Yes, I watch the Spengler Cup every year...)

I knew there would be news coming at some time today since the first 25 games are up meaning the PTO's have expired. Nathan McIver gets a 25 game renewal (he can't sign another one once it's up) while Maxime Macenauer signs for the rest of the year. Both deserved new pacts so this is good news.

I really didn't think Mayer would be departing quite this soon for the Spengler since the tournament doesn't start until the middle of next week. By comparison, the Amerks are playing in the tournament and are playing up until the 21st. Alas, he was sent today and Condon has been recalled (it sounds like January 5th is when he is expected to be sent down). Excellent news, Hamilton's chance of victory the next few games has increased.

Mayer's Spengler Cup team earned a 5-0 win over Rochester today. Based on that alone, I'm sure you figured out by now that Mayer wasn't the goalie. What's odd is that of the games you'd probably be most confident playing him in, this would have been it since he's familiar with the Amerks. His team now plays CSKA Moscow on the 28th.

Ben Duffy was recalled from Wheeling today and then immediately released from his one year deal. The speculation is that he's going back to school. He had struggled with Hamilton but had played a lot better with the Nailers.

Speaking of getting released, former Bulldog Alexander Avtsin was released by his KHL team a few days ago, just shortly after getting returned by the team he was loaned to (he played once in nearly a month). Evidently, playing time for him was easier to come by with Hamilton; he has played just 7 games this year.

Mayer beats CSKA Moscow once again in the Spengler, this time in the gold medal game. Congrats to him. There was a Swiss-based article yesterday that noted he has no intention of staying there and intends to honour his deal in Hamilton. It couldn't all be good news, could it?

According to AHL transactions MacAuley was released from SPC. Wonder what that's about. Seems like a parade of players dissatisfied with the Hamilton experience.

They are paid to play hockey not sightsee. Hamilton hasn't seemed to of negatively impacted Pateryn, Tinordi, Andrighetto, Holland's, etc play.

Likely has to do with McCauley only having 2 points in 12 games in ECHL (maybe why Blues never signed him).

Nystrom was not physically ready for AHL (nor ready for the KHL it seems).

Nygren was "homesick" and seemed another offensive d-man with big shot who cant defend very well (a la MAB and Yannick Weber), even a minor league level. So another season in Sweden wont hurt one bit, but I will be curious to see if he returns once SHL season ends?

Is the coaching not great in Hamilton? Is a real possibility, but players wash out for many reasons and mostly has to do with skill and what is going on between their ears.

According to AHL transactions MacAuley was released from SPC. Wonder what that's about. Seems like a parade of players dissatisfied with the Hamilton experience.

That one surprises me. Hamilton's depth is getting awfully thin now. I wonder if they're planning to keep Owens around for the long haul then as they're out of forward call up options.

Some info on MacAulay, it's not the Bulldogs he's unhappy with but rather Montreal management.

He and his agent pushed hard for an entry-level NHL deal but none was forthcoming. So MacAulay packed his stuff and headed home.

“When I signed the American League deal in the summer I was given a verbal commitment I would sign an NHL deal in the fall,” said MacAulay.

“Obviously, I would have liked them to show a commitment for two or three years for an entry level deal but that’s not what happened. You can’t dwell on that forever.”

He's off to the CIS, joining St. Mary's.

http://metronews.ca/sports/898989/dream-on-hold-former-halifax-moosehead-stephen-macaulay-joins-huskies-after-ahl-stint/

Next fall who will likely be added to farm system?

Will it be all of these (then to be) 20+ year olds in Bennett, Thrower, Vail, Hudon, Crisp, Nevins, Bozon, Collberg be pros?

and de la Rose ( as a 19 year old) come over?

Can all these kids even be signed (I know some are already) and added to Hamilton/Wheeling?

Next fall who will likely be added to farm system?

Will it be all of these (then to be) 20+ year olds in Bennett, Thrower, Vail, Hudon, Crisp, Nevins, Bozon, Collberg be pros?

and de la Rose ( as a 19 year old) come over?

Can all these kids even be signed (I know some are already) and added to Hamilton/Wheeling?

They all could be signed, so too could Didier; people around that team think the Habs will want him to turn pro early. I don't see room for him on a crowded blueline that will also include Nygren returning. (He was already under contract with Farjestad for next year before signing with the Habs but he can't extend with them until his Montreal contract is up.)

One possible issue could be the contract limit though. That's adding 7 contracts (Nevins already counts and De la Rose would slide a year unless he plays 10+ games in Montreal). At this point, I could see the Habs electing to keep Crisp in junior for his OA year. Most of those players should be in the system next year though.

I hope De la Rose comes over and gets a head start on the North American game. Out of that group mentioned, he's the guy I have the highest hopes for at this point - he seems like Lars Eller 2.0.

Feel iffy about Collberg.

They all could be signed, so too could Didier; people around that team think the Habs will want him to turn pro early. I don't see room for him on a crowded blueline that will also include Nygren returning. (He was already under contract with Farjestad for next year before signing with the Habs but he can't extend with them until his Montreal contract is up.)

One possible issue could be the contract limit though. That's adding 7 contracts (Nevins already counts and De la Rose would slide a year unless he plays 10+ games in Montreal). At this point, I could see the Habs electing to keep Crisp in junior for his OA year. Most of those players should be in the system next year though.

Thanks Brian

I was wondering, just how young a roster can you have to compete in AHL and contract limit issues.

Both Bergevin and Timmins seemed to pick out de la Rose as one they are pleased to of picked.

Didier is really that good defensively eh? Love to hear that he may get the call early and Brisbois seemed quite "excited" with his play, which was first time I heard he was even on their radar at all.

I was wondering, just how young a roster can you have to compete in AHL and contract limit issues.

Didier is really that good defensively eh? Love to hear that he may get the call early and Brisbois seemed quite "excited" with his play, which was first time I heard he was even on their radar at all.

The only roster restriction in the AHL is the veteran rule. You can carry however many players you want regardless of age (though you only dress a few older guys each game). Obviously you can only have so many guys on NHL two-way deals due the contract limit but a team can have as many AHL deals as they want.

Didier seems to be Brisebois' darkhorse, he always has positive things to say about him. I'm a bit down on his performance this year but given his style of play, it's really hard to assess from afar. I just hoped he'd get more of a chance to hone his offensive skills which are clearly lacking but it hasn't happened yet.