2013-14 General Bulldogs Thread

dlbalr

The bulldogs weakness, as it has been for the last two years, is strength down the middle. I see on other boards fans salivating over what they perceive as new recruits BUT center remains a big question mark for me.

de la Rose, Vail (if signed in next couple weeks), Gregoire may help in next couple years, big club isn't lacking centres and Bournival is having an encouraging rookie year.

Got a feeling may loose couple centres in Nattinen, White this summer?

The Bulldogs need at least one, if not two, legit centres if they want to have any chance of contending next year. Dumont's fine as a #3 guy but I don't think he's a #2 C on a good team.

The Bulldogs need at least one, if not two, legit centres if they want to have any chance of contending next year. Dumont's fine as a #3 guy but I don't think he's a #2 C on a good team.

Exactly---- and hopefully grander on the size and skill

St Pierre wont be back will he?

What pool of decent vet AHL centres is there, like a Corey Locke? Hard to find eh?

St Pierre wont be back will he?

What pool of decent vet AHL centres is there, like a Corey Locke? Hard to find eh?

There are always offensive centres on the market. St. Pierre and Locke as you noted plus Andy Miele, Jason Jaffray (a W/C), and Chris Mueller. Mike Zigomanis and Kael Mouillierat are AHL UFA's as well. That's not a bad group of players to pick from.

There are always offensive centres on the market. St. Pierre and Locke as you noted plus Andy Miele, Jason Jaffray (a W/C), and Chris Mueller. Mike Zigomanis and Kael Mouillierat are AHL UFA's as well. That's not a bad group of players to pick from.

'If' Vail signed, he would centre 3rd/4th line most likely eh, same as de la Rose (who I got feeling zero chance he is in Hamilton this fall).

So to get a good centre, likely just need to offer more $$ than other franchises?

'If' Vail signed, he would centre 3rd/4th line most likely eh, same as de la Rose (who I got feeling zero chance he is in Hamilton this fall).

So to get a good centre, likely just need to offer more $$ than other franchises?

If Vail signs, he's probably a 4th line C (or 2nd/3rd line in Wheeling to get more playing time at the start).

It would depend on whether it's a two-way deal or a one-way AHL contract. If it's the latter, money talks (Hamilton lost on Zigomanis two years in a row when he was only considering 3 teams, it's safe to imply that money was a reason). If it's the former, the potential to be called up is also going to be a factor, not only for the higher base salary, but perhaps also for accrued GP and service time towards an NHL pension if it's a player who is getting up there in age but has played in the NHL previously.

We've heard this one before, Mayer is reportedly set to join Geneve-Servette of the NLA next year. Fingers crossed it actually happens this time...

https://www.bluewin.ch/fr/sport/hockey/2014/5/14/robert-mayer-annonce-a-geneve-servette---blick-ch-.html

We can only hope. I think it would be a mistake not to sign Vail. Not only is he a center, but was good enough to fill in on defense. players like that are invaluable. What is the down side that is keeping him from being signed?

We can only hope. I think it would be a mistake not to sign Vail. Not only is he a center, but was good enough to fill in on defense. players like that are invaluable. What is the down side that is keeping him from being signed?

Contract space isn't working in his favour. Also, if they have doubts about him being much more than a depth player on the farm, they'd likely rather save those spots for those who can fill more of a specific role.

Of the six centers listed on the bulldogs closing roster, I don't see anyone with a safe pass to the bulldogs next year. Maybe Dumont. In fact, I only see approx 10 skaters that would be deemed sure things from last years roster. I don't see roster space/ contracts as an issue.

The Habs have 38 signed (3 of which will slide) for next year. Of their 8 RFA's between MTL/HAM, I think 5 will get offers. They have 7 on the NHL roster that are UFA's, they'll likely fill 4 of those spots at the very least. That's 44 before looking at Hamilton UFA's. Will any of Blunden, St. Pierre, or Tarnasky return? I think at least one will and at least one other will be replaced, bringing it to 46. Thrower needs a contract too, that's 47. If you want to leave yourself some breathing room for in-season acquisitions as the Habs did this year, you need to have at least a handful of spots open to start the year. Does that leave room for Vail? It might not.

i am anticipating some movement from the current big club at the draft or later. We can't keep everybody. However 47 isn't a bad number because they can have unlimited AHL contracts to fill any needs

Nattinen, Leblanc, Blunden, Macenauer. Which will be retained/stay? Just Nattinen, Blunden?

St.Pierre, Czarnik, Courtnall, Tarnasty, McIver, Schiestel, Chouinard most of likely gone?

Should have;

Holland, Andrighetto, Thomas, Nevins, Crisp, Hudon, Dumont, Blunden, Fournier, Nattinen, Carr? + vet or 2

And on D

Ellis, Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett, Drewiski +vet or 2

(lots of youth)

Out of the first group, I think Leblanc will get a QO, I'm not sure where he'll be come next year though. I think Blunden will be back and Macenauer may be as well on another AHL deal, he's a nice bottom six player.

Out of group two, I could see Courtnall and Chouinard returning, again both on AHL deals. Courtnall should be smart enough to realize there aren't a ton of teams where he can be a regular on the 4th line, why mess with a good thing? Chouinard was decent depth and they may want to keep around and send one of the youngsters to Wheeling for more PT. I don't think St. Pierre returns but they'll have to find a replacement for sure...or they'll be fighting for 29th next year if they count on the youngsters to lead the way.

Out of the first group, I think Leblanc will get a QO, I'm not sure where he'll be come next year though. I think Blunden will be back and Macenauer may be as well on another AHL deal, he's a nice bottom six player.

Out of group two, I could see Courtnall and Chouinard returning, again both on AHL deals. Courtnall should be smart enough to realize there aren't a ton of teams where he can be a regular on the 4th line, why mess with a good thing? Chouinard was decent depth and they may want to keep around and send one of the youngsters to Wheeling for more PT. I don't think St. Pierre returns but they'll have to find a replacement for sure...or they'll be fighting for 29th next year if they count on the youngsters to lead the way.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Bergevin confirmed today that Lefebvre and his staff will return next year.

I really wonder if other coachs really could do much better with current roster?

And as you predicted dlbalr Dogs were streaky all year and you didnt think would be super competitive.

So really have coaches been tossed under bus, due to simply a young weak team?

look forward to Hudon-Bozon-Thrower-Crisp-Bennett etc etc

There were some decisions that could have made the Bulldogs more competitive:

- Stop rotating Mayer and Tokarski for half the season when it's clear one has talent and the other doesn't.

- Don't play an enforcer in a top-six role for half the year (Tarnasky). Him being a full-timer on the PP also made no sense.

- Don't play your leading scorer, who doesn't play well defensively, on a defensive line (St. Pierre).

Plus, the stupidity with benching Nattinen for no good reason (to play much less talented players), moving Leblanc up and down the lineup constantly, etc.

A lot of these decisions seem like no-brainers. So yeah, I think a more competent coach could have got more out of this group just from common sense alone. Would they have been contenders? No; I'm not even sure they'd have made the playoffs. They would, however, have been playing meaningful games in the final 6-8 weeks instead of being all but dead in February.

Unfortunately, with even more rookies likely playing next year, expect more of the same if not worse, especially if Tokarski isn't back.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...