Oct. 17, Blue Jackets vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Wow, PK making all-world moves on the blue-line. It'll take some real stubbornness for Hockey Canada to keep him out of the Olympics. Is there a better pairing in the league than him and Markov, at least offensively?

It was another incomplete effort, but I feel like we created more chances and deserved to win. Love the sneaky goal by Pleks at the end. Poor Tinordi doesn't have self-confidence or that of the coach - it might be time for him to get some minutes in Hamilton. Beaulieu will probably get the start on Saturday, and then why not call up Pateryn?

Wow, PK making all-world moves on the blue-line. It'll take some real stubbornness for Hockey Canada to keep him out of the Olympics. Is there a better pairing in the league than him and Markov, at least offensively?

It was another incomplete effort, but I feel like we created more chances and deserved to win. Love the sneaky goal by Pleks at the end. Poor Tinordi doesn't have self-confidence or that of the coach - it might be time for him to get some minutes in Hamilton. Beaulieu will probably get the start on Saturday, and then why not call up Pateryn?

Some of us complain about PK's penalties--at times deservedly so-- but those were two BS penalties on him tonight. Also, although we coughed up the lead, I didn't see the team going into sit back defense mode too early...CB got a couple of breaks and capitalized on Habs mistakes. Only area of improvement would be defensive zone faceoffs, but Plex picked it up at the end in a most satisfactory way. Also, I think Bournival has earned more ice time. GO Habs Go

PK has continued on from where he was last year. Even when the team play really bad you just know he will pick up one or two points anyway. Whatever contract he will get he will be worth it.

Have he ever been tried as a forward?

It was via Dave Stubbs on Twitter. Check the main site regularly for Twitter updates. :)

That was a pretty good first period, especially wearing out the rust from the Western road trip. Bournival becomes the 506th Hab in club history to record a goal. I don't think too many figured he'd be the first player this year to record his first as a Hab.

Maybe cuz he's not. Brière...

Cant believe they won 1st home game after road trip, but Gaborick out likely helped a lot and great start by Habs also good to see once again.

Great to see Plekanec get a couple!

Subban was 4th among d-men in icetime?, Diaz had most penalty kill icetime and 5 blocked shots.

Habs on penalty kill faceoffs still suck and costly.

OByrne trade looking better, sweet 1st goal and Bournival had 5 shots in 10 minutes, good work.

DD was only centre to be >50% and that young Johansen killed Habs in the circle, dosent bode well when face a much better team with top notch centremen - like Crosby-Bergevin-Datsyuk.

The winning goal in Leaf game was just fun to see and topped a good evening, hopefully Bernier isn't as good as I think he is?

Tinordi really should be in Hamilton playing 25 and not 10 minutes/game, same as Beaulieu.

Hopefully Murray and Yemelin are back sooner than later.

Diaz seems to really be picking up his game. That'll help a lot.

Team MVPs are clearly Price and PK. The latter is an absolute beast - Habs fans, watch this guy and enjoy, we haven't had such a talent in years and years and years - while Price is playing the way we hoped he would when Gainey outraged MacGuire by drafting him at #5 all those years ago. If these elements continue, we have a chance to win every night irrespective of what else is going on in the lineup.

Diaz is doing better, but I still see a couple panicky plays each game. A pairing of him and Gorges isn't really top-4 caliber IMO - both of them are complimentary guys who look good playing alongside PK or Markov but can't really handle the heavy-lifting on their own. It remains to be seen if Emelin is at that level or above it (last year wasn't nearly enough to go on)

Subban was 4th among d-men in icetime?, Diaz had most penalty kill icetime and 5 blocked shots.

OByrne trade looking better, sweet 1st goal and Bournival had 5 shots in 10 minutes, good work.

That's only because PK spent time in the box himself.

I said the exact same thing to my gf yesterday. I really enjoy his speed. He can easily mess with the opposing team on any so-so change up.

I think it's worth noting that it looks like after Bournival scored his first career goal, Markov, Subban and Moen go over to celebrate with him while Ryan White turns around to grab the puck from the net.

Ryan White who could eventually lose his job to this rookie had the presence of mind to get the kid his puck before veterans like Moen and Markov did.

I really like that.

• Upvote 1

Last night on the radio, between periods, the announcers were saying that PK is probably the best player we have had since Patrick Roy. I would agree with that. He is exciting explosive and just plain fun to watch. Too bad the refs hate him so much. If they can make up a penalty they will. "Subban, 2 minutes for imaginary elbowing" . At least that would be an honest call. We are very fortunate to have him. Lets keep him for a long time. I really do not agree with long term deals but in PK's case I would make an exception. Now we need a natural born scorer and off we go (after we get all our Dmen back). :habslogo:

I still think Diaz should be replaced in the end but I agree the last two games he's played a lot better. He's more a third string D-man taking extra responsibility and having good and bad shifts with it. I really hope Beaulieu can find his stride and replace Diaz by next season. I really don't care to see us spend on Diaz in the summer.

Diaz is doing fine as fill in, only makes $1.25m and is still early in his NHL career. He is at 89games experience and has 40points. Which would be hard to beat by most offensive d-men, Diaz and Subban were on same PPG pace over same rookie-ish period, a bit better than Karlsson and a bit worse than Mike Green's start of career.

At the moment his defense is still work in progress for sure and may not be ready to be top 4, but he likely will only need to be that until Yemelin returns.

Will be 76-79-74-26 as top 4 and then Diaz can play 3rd pairing and PP duty. But over next year or 2 Diaz will likely become a top 4 (on some team).

Last night on the radio, between periods, the announcers were saying that PK is probably the best player we have had since Patrick Roy. I would agree with that. He is exciting explosive and just plain fun to watch. Too bad the refs hate him so much. If they can make up a penalty they will. "Subban, 2 minutes for imaginary elbowing" . At least that would be an honest call. We are very fortunate to have him. Lets keep him for a long time. I really do not agree with long term deals but in PK's case I would make an exception. Now we need a natural born scorer and off we go (after we get all our Dmen back). :habslogo:

I'm going to go daringly further than that. PK is becoming more and more dominant and at this point he's the best defender in hockey, and the best Hab since The Flower. And he hasn't peaked yet.

Subban for Hart?

Pronger 99-00 was last to do that, since #4 in early 70's, so might be tough unless PK leads both the Habs and NHL d-men in scoring and team easily makes playoffs, which isn't far fetched I suppose?

I think the winnepeg game proved there is a rule - two minutes for being too black.

I'm going to go daringly further than that. PK is becoming more and more dominant and at this point he's the best defender in hockey, and the best Hab since The Flower. And he hasn't peaked yet.

'Best defender in hockey' is controversial, and he is not in Patrick Roy's league yet, but he certainly is the best position player on the Habs since Lafleur. Markov in his prime was amazing, but PK is another level.

This is what a superstar is. Revel in it.

As for "two minutes for being black," I'd amend that to "2 minutes for being black and uppity." If he had all along been prepared to bow and scrape and play by the NHL rulebook of saying "yessuh" and "nosuh" to veterans and the media, I doubt he'd be the target he apparently is.

'Best defender in hockey' is controversial, and he is not in Patrick Roy's league yet, but he certainly is the best position player on the Habs since Lafleur. Markov in his prime was amazing, but PK is another level.

This is what a superstar is. Revel in it.

As for "two minutes for being black," I'd amend that to "2 minutes for being black and uppity." If he had all along been prepared to bow and scrape and play by the NHL rulebook of saying "yessuh" and "nosuh" to veterans and the media, I doubt he'd be the target he apparently is.

He also wouldn't be half the player he is.

And I would respectfully disagree regarding his league's and Roy's. It's hard to judge a current player and compare them with someone who was great because we tend to not recognize as fully as we should what we're seeing. Patrick was immense. I think Subban is already better. He's already more consistent than Sir Pat ever was early in his career, and PK seems to be getting better and better by the shift. The things he is doing out there... Roy's position had more immediate impact game-by-game. He could literally win a game. The nature of a defender is that can't win without his team, that's just the way it is.

Look, *this* is premature for certain, but I wonder if we're seeing one of THE greats establishing himself. Not great at one particular position, but a player that transcends the game. Orr, Gretz, Lemieux, Crosby, Subban??? Yeah, I'm ahead of things right now, for sure, but I *did* get to watch Orr play, and I did get to see the careers of the greatest in the modern game.

Subban wow's me every night. Like, seriously wow's me. And the fact he's still young and *learning the game????*

"This is what a superstar is. Revel in it." Indeed. Soak it up. I believe one day your grandkids will ask what it was like to watch Subban play.

He also wouldn't be half the player he is.

And I would respectfully disagree regarding his league's and Roy's. It's hard to judge a current player and compare them with someone who was great because we tend to not recognize as fully as we should what we're seeing. Patrick was immense. I think Subban is already better. He's already more consistent than Sir Pat ever was early in his career, and PK seems to be getting better and better by the shift. The things he is doing out there... Roy's position had more immediate impact game-by-game. He could literally win a game. The nature of a defender is that can't win without his team, that's just the way it is.

Look, *this* is premature for certain, but I wonder if we're seeing one of THE greats establishing himself. Not great at one particular position, but a player that transcends the game. Orr, Gretz, Lemieux, Crosby, Subban??? Yeah, I'm ahead of things right now, for sure, but I *did* get to watch Orr play, and I did get to see the careers of the greatest in the modern game.

Subban wow's me every night. Like, seriously wow's me. And the fact he's still young and *learning the game????*

"This is what a superstar is. Revel in it." Indeed. Soak it up. I believe one day your grandkids will ask what it was like to watch Subban play.

So can we start calling him the franchise player now?

So can we start calling him the franchise player now?

Now? I've considered him that since got here!! That's why I was really hoping the habs would sign him to a 12 to 14 year deal before his contract expired.

Don't know if he will be one of the greatest ever - but then the only dmen I'd put in that class are Orr and Harvey. But then If he can be as good and dominant as Robinson, bourque or Potvin, I won't be too disappointment.

Now? I've considered him that since got here!! That's why I was really hoping the habs would sign him to a 12 to 14 year deal before his contract expired.

Don't know if he will be one of the greatest ever - but then the only dmen I'd put in that class are Orr and Harvey. But then If he can be as good and dominant as Robinson, bourque or Potvin, I won't be too disappointment.

I think more a Paul Coffey type/quality d-man, is kinda how I see him. Obviously never will have a 140point season, but Coffey racked up points in the 80s when points were much easier to pile up (also Oiler/Pitt rosters were pretty stacked).

However, he is on a 115-120 point pace and he is quite a steal for Timmins in 2nd round (one or more of Fucale-de la Rose-Thrower-Lehkonen-Collberg hopefully will be 2nd round impact player also?).

I think more a Paul Coffey type/quality d-man, is kinda how I see him. Obviously never will have a 140point season, but Coffey racked up points in the 80s when points were much easier to pile up (also Oiler/Pitt rosters were pretty stacked).

However, he is on a 115-120 point pace and he is quite a steal for Timmins in 2nd round (one or more of Fucale-de la Rose-Thrower-Lehkonen-Collberg hopefully will be 2nd round impact player also?).

I like De La Rose a lot. Size, defensive awareness and grit. And yes Habs29retired, I agree and if you look at my posts from 2011 I've been saying the same thing. I think Thrower could be really good, we have a glut of defensive prospects not sure what we're going to do in 2-3 years.

I don't remember Coffey playing with PK's bone-crunching physicality. Denis Potvin is probably the best comparable.

The difference between PK and someone like Roy is proven playoff excellence and Cup rings. If Subban continues his unbelievably prodigious development and ends up being the key cog in a run to the Cup - preferably more than one - then we can start to have a conversation about where he ranks among the all-time great Habs and all-time great players. If championships don't factor in, then - fair or not - he is unlikely to become part of that discussion.

EDIT: best piece I've read so far on PK and the NHL's racism-disguised-as-Hockey-Code: http://toomanymen.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/p-k-subban-race-the-invisible-man-and-the-elephant-in-the-studio/