Oct. 19, Predators vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Came out slow... Couldn't handle the Nashville D with our small forwards. Lose the game as a result of the winger failing to clear the zone, again.

Price did all he could, but just nothing in front of him.

Do you really think we are going far this season with so many under performing smurfs and one line? If they don't get off their butts soon we are going to slump badly. You can't expect one line and a goalie to win it for you most nights.

They need to bite the bullet and trade for a power forward. Trading Erik Cole and signing Briere as a replacement was a big mistake. There's no player in the system that fills that need. I don't consider McCarron, a player learning the junior game as part of the discussion. It's not going to come cheap, Plekanec or Beaulieu a bottom six guy and a 1st will be the price, but it absolutely has to be done.

so Jones as a rookie is playing an average of 28min a game. More then the norris winner :wall:

A pace that is not sustainable over an 82 game season, unless you want your defenceman to be dead at the end of it.

In the playoffs for a short period of time (and with average TOI increasing due to long OT games) you might see these kind of averages. But very few defencemen go 82 games above 25 minutes a night.

Jones average will drop as Nashville gets healthy on the blueline.

Time to give McCarron his Jr tryout?

Too late, once you send him down its over.

He's not exactly lighting up the OHL either.

They need to bite the bullet and trade for a power forward. Trading Erik Cole and signing Briere as a replacement was a big mistake. There's no player in the system that fills that need. I don't consider McCarron, a player learning the junior game as part of the discussion. It's not going to come cheap, Plekanec or Beaulieu a bottom six guy and a 1st will be the price, but it absolutely has to be done.

Well, Cole has been putting up stink-o numbers in Dallas, so it does look like he is done as anything more than a plumber. That it was a bizarre decision to sign The Hero of the Quebec Nation with those cap savings, everyone except the French media agrees.

Another power forward would be nice, but I don't think we should be pulling the trigger on such a deal based on a loss to Nashville (after a 4-game winning streak) in which Patches was out and Bourque running on fumes.

No one said anything about a blow to the team. Just another in a long and never-ending list of injuries.

I don't mind if marginal pieces like Briere get hurt. I mean, no one likes to see anyone get hurt, unless his name is Chara; but it's when we lose absolutely key cogs for extended periods that I go insane with frustration. If Habs must fall, let it be players that are either replaceable or useless. I don't count this one against the hockey gods.

What is Therrien thinking????

We had a faceoff in the Preds zone with 72 seconds left but he won't pull Price until we gain control???

Of course, the faceoff was scrummed and the puck fought for along the board for 10 seconds before Nashville got it and cleared the zone. We never got control of the puck in their zone for the rest of the game. Even if we lose the faceoff with 72 seconds left we still are better off with 6 skaters.

Yeah, that made no sense to me too. Teams always put the extra skater on with an offensive zone faceoff. Therrien done out-thunk himself.

Well, Briere is fulfilling his destiny of sucking and then getting injured. This doesn't affect us much now, but how bad does it look in the summer when we're trying to re-sign guys? We probably won't have room for Gionta who's much more useful.

Prust is a bigger loss. I'm wondering who we'll see from Hamilton.

With all respect, that is an absolutely terrible idea. One sub-par game--which we would have at least tied if not for a terrible call-- and you want to gut our depth and prospects for a power forward? That is Reggie Houle thinking not Bergevin's thank God. Remember, Patches will be back in a few weeks.

We can't win every game and a let down was inevitable after the long road trip.

This is for (almost) everyone on the board: take a deep breath and enjoy the development of a good, young team. We've had a lot of injuries and they are not going to play wonderfully for every one of the 82 games. Relax.

Also, those of you who seem almost happy that Briere is out--for shame. Any player suffering a concussion deserves our sympathy, especially our own. To insult an injured Hab, especially one who has suffered that type of injury (that has ended many careers) is classless to say the least.

• Upvote 1

A pace that is not sustainable over an 82 game season, unless you want your defenceman to be dead at the end of it.

In the playoffs for a short period of time (and with average TOI increasing due to long OT games) you might see these kind of averages. But very few defencemen go 82 games above 25 minutes a night.

Jones average will drop as Nashville gets healthy on the blueline.

I agree. If I were a Preds fan, I wouldn't be that happy with having our top rookie d prospect playing that much.

It is a long season and I am happy with Terrien managing the D's minutes carefully as I want PK to have something left in the tank for the playoffs

With all respect, that is an absolutely terrible idea. One sub-par game--which we would have at least tied if not for a terrible call-- and you want to gut our depth and prospects for a power forward? That is Reggie Houle thinking not Bergevin's thank God. Remember, Patches will be back in a few weeks.

We can't win every game and a let down was inevitable after the long road trip.

This is for (almost) everyone on the board: take a deep breath and enjoy the development of a good, young team. We've had a lot of injuries and they are not going to play wonderfully for every one of the 82 games. Relax.

Also, those of you who seem almost happy that Briere is out--for shame. Any player suffering a concussion deserves our sympathy, especially our own. To insult an injured Hab, especially one who has suffered that type of injury (that has ended many careers) is classless to say the least.

I've been saying this since the off season. Pacioretty is big, but he plays a finesse game. Bourque, on some nights he looks like that guy, other nights we have to be good sports about the effort he puts in. We have no forward that strikes fear in the defensemem retrieving the puck. (Like Diaz when hes on a dump in chased by Nathan Gerbe) There is an organizational need there, since we have no suitable player within 1-2 years of filling that role. However we have a glut of puck moving defensemen, and someone like Plekanec, who would help a team with defensive issues immensely. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've seen what skill and finesse can bring over the last fifteen or twenty years, and like the rest of the league, I'd like to see them trend towards size and strength.

Cole is putting up the numbers most third liners will put up on non playoff teams. That doesn't mean he isn't more useful than Briere whose usefulness this season is comparable to Dale Weise or Tommy Wingels

Danny Briere is as much a Hab as Jerome Iginla is a Bruin. Worst signing in a long time. That being said, he's had a long concussion history, so hopefully he's ok. If a truck ran over his foot, and he couldn't play for two years during reconstructive surgery, great. Concussions are a quality of life issue.

#5/6 defensemen and third line depth aren't more important than glaring organizational needs.

Guest Stogey24

Wow boys. This is a pretty scary thing with the Canadiens. Injuries have honestly turned into a trend while wearing this Jersey. Prust had two full 82 game seasons in his last two years with the Rangers. Not to mention leading the league in fighting majors. I'm a little worried this shoulder injury. It seems to be reoccurring. Surgery has to be looming.

I hated us getting Therrien, changed my mind a bit after the great start last season but seriously? Martin got alot more out of these guys.

boy doesn't take much for you to jump off the band wagon.

Ok last night was not out best effort. We have significant injuries, and even more after last night. I thought Subban looked like he had the flu. He was not very effective, which is unusual for him. Markov looked good again. He was a bright spot, I may have a been a little hasty in writing him off after the first couple of games. :wub: He still, it appears has a lot to give. Too bad about Briere, he really has to think about his long term future, I would suggest ltir until his contract expires. Too many concussions, and they keep getting worse each time. He has a family to think about. I fear that Prust may need shoulder surgery, it has been a nagging for 2 years now, but I hope not. Carey Price , Canada's goalie at Stochi looked as impressive as ever. Maybe this new goalie coach has got him settled down after the disaster of last year. We need more than the kids and a star goalie to have success. The kids are awesome. But I think the Preds were just to big for the small forwards. We lost most of the battles for the puck, we seemed to be on our asses on the ice all night long. Yet the stats say we out hit them.

The reffing last night was ridiculous, where do they find these guys? Are they fill ins for the real refs. I know it is a tough job but for crying out loud have a little pride in what you do. You clearly call a goal and then by committee decide whoopsie need a do over. What the heck happened to "the call on the ice stands"? I didn't think it was a goal but the ref sure as hell did, so stand by your call jerk. The diving call was a thing of beauty, what, hadn't called one for a while? Do they have quota's? If you are going to call that diving, then let's all pack up and go home, cause everything is diving if you fall down.

Anyway, no need to fire the coach, shoot the general manager and trade everybody, like we usually hear after every loss. We had a poor effort and almost pullled out 2 points in spite of that. I hope the guys we call up, will play for jobs and really surprise us, but I think we are in for a tough stretch till some guys get back from injury. Lets hope Bournival Tinordi and Beaulieu take the opportunity and really run with it.

Just to be clear...I'm not happy Briere is hurt. And I've been pretty consistent in lamenting concussions precisely because they destroy the lives of these husbands and fathers who ought to have many rich, full years after hockey and instead shuffle around as disabled shadows of themselves. My only point was that in pure hockey terms, Briere is not a significant loss to the club. Maybe that was a callous observation. But it's true.

Prust is a more serious blow. This is what amazes me...on a team with Emelin, Parros, Murray, and now Prust as major elements of physicality, every single one is gone for an extended period, all at the same time. Not to mention Patches as a power forward. It'c the usual comically bad luck.

I hated us getting Therrien, changed my mind a bit after the great start last season but seriously? Martin got alot more out of these guys.

No he didn't! He didn't ever get 40 minutes out of his team, let alone 60.

9 shots for Gallagher and going hard to net all game, Gionta, Bourque and others maybe could take a lesson from the kid.

I don't buy any real Subban bias by refs, PKs first penalty was 100% correct and couldn't of not called it and maybe he just went down too easy for the dive, ref had a much better view than I? And his chicken wing penalty last game, totally looked like an elbow when he hit him and only in slow-motion could you see he tucked elbow back in prior to hit.

I also think refs let PK get away with lots of picks and interference calls on dump-ins, in the end, PK (exactly like Gallagher) will draw and take more penalties than most players simply because he is in middle of the action most shifts.

Overall were couple of bad and even up calls, but went both ways and Ref #5 is just not a good ref.

Nashville just wanted it more and blocked almost 2X the pucks as Habs.

Just to be clear...I'm not happy Briere is hurt. And I've been pretty consistent in lamenting concussions precisely because they destroy the lives of these husbands and fathers who ought to have many rich, full years after hockey and instead shuffle around as disabled shadows of themselves. My only point was that in pure hockey terms, Briere is not a significant loss to the club. Maybe that was a callous observation. But it's true.

Prust is a more serious blow. This is what amazes me...on a team with Emelin, Parros, Murray, and now Prust as major elements of physicality, every single one is gone for an extended period, all at the same time. Not to mention Patches as a power forward. It'c the usual comically bad luck.

I wasn't referring to your post in particular, but the general tone of the comments which I took to be "Briere has a concussion, Meh, who cares? He hasn't been playing well anyway". I believe that if Briere is able/willing to come back from this concussion that he will become a solid performer for the Habs. A more accurate statement would be Briere has not yet become a significant contributor for the team Anyway, I just hope he and Prust are ok. In Prust's case thank God he was able to turn and take the blow on the shoulder instead of going in face first--which probably would have put him in the hospital.

I just get a little tired of the constant negativity when the team doesn't play a perfect game and dominate for 60minutes. That doesn't happen very often in today's NHL. I for one am enjoying seeing the development of our young team and I hope like hell we can avoid anymore serious injuries

I wasn't referring to your post in particular, but the general tone of the comments which I took to be "Briere has a concussion, Meh, who cares? He hasn't been playing well anyway". I believe that if Briere is able/willing to come back from this concussion that he will become a solid performer for the Habs. A more accurate statement would be Briere has not yet become a significant contributor for the team Anyway, I just hope he and Prust are ok. In Prust's case thank God he was able to turn and take the blow on the shoulder instead of going in face first--which probably would have put him in the hospital.

I just get a little tired of the constant negativity when the team doesn't play a perfect game and dominate for 60minutes. That doesn't happen very often in today's NHL. I for one am enjoying seeing the development of our young team and I hope like hell we can avoid anymore serious injuries

I agree on the negativity but Briere is a roach. He takes less money because he doesn't have the cajones to face the press, then signs here after he's disgraced himself in a buyout, plays a crap exhibition series, and then stinks out 8 games before getting injured.

100% agree. However, the Briere and DD signings are on MB. I may be in the minority here, but I'd also add Bouillon to that list.

I agree on the negativity but Briere is a roach. He takes less money because he doesn't have the cajones to face the press, then signs here after he's disgraced himself in a buyout, plays a crap exhibition series, and then stinks out 8 games before getting injured.

The fact that Briere injured is not a serious problem is the serious problem. He was not signed to be a spare part and if he is, that signing is a mistake, plain and simple.

DD is another mistake. We need more signings like Cole (not that he is doing well now) where we add some size and skill. I simply do not believe this team can be a serious post season contender with Gally, Dd, Briere, and Gionta. Pick two, (I would take Gally and Gionta) and replace the other two with some size.

Until MB figures out how to get that done, we are simply not built for the post season.

The fact that Briere injured is not a serious problem is the serious problem. He was not signed to be a spare part and if he is, that signing is a mistake, plain and simple.

DD is another mistake. We need more signings like Cole (not that he is doing well now) where we add some size and skill. I simply do not believe this team can be a serious post season contender with Gally, Dd, Briere, and Gionta. Pick two, (I would take Gally and Gionta) and replace the other two with some size.

Until MB figures out how to get that done, we are simply not built for the post season.

I think this is fair comment and more or less agree. That said, a time when nearly every single "physical" player on the team is down with serious injuries is probably the worst possible choice moment to come to an assessment of how robust the team is. Only after we get Emelin, Murray, Parros, Patches and Prust back and healthy can we really discern whether these elements - plus guys like Bourque and Eller - are sufficient to counterbalance the smurfiness up front.

Didnt really mean to defend Martin but is really Therrien any better?

Honestly, with the injuries to his line up and being 2 pnts back of Detroit and the falling leafs (I looked out the window, time to rake lol) and have the game at hand. I am not complaining.......yet.

I think this is fair comment and more or less agree. That said, a time when nearly every single "physical" player on the team is down with serious injuries is probably the worst possible choice moment to come to an assessment of how robust the team is. Only after we get Emelin, Murray, Parros, Patches and Prust back and healthy can we really discern whether these elements - plus guys like Bourque and Eller - are sufficient to counterbalance the smurfiness up front.

I don't think it will help that much. We need some size on the top two lines. Padding out the fourth line is great, but it doesn't help with the top lines ability to win grinding games or deal with the brutal nature of the post season.