Time to look at signing Gagne

habs rule

I don't know if this deserves a separate topic( i'll leave that to the mods) but I think it will generate some talk. Should we go sign Simon Gagne to a 1 year 1 million dollar contract? Yes, he is oft injured but he has had lots of rest lately. If Briere is going to be out for a while, maybe forever, then I think Gagne would be a cheap replacement. This may be premature as we don't know the extent of the injuries to Prust and Briere but if they are out for a significant period of time, then I think Simon would be an alternative. He should sign cheap and he costs us no players or prospects. If we get a couple of months out of him before he goes down with an injury we should have everyone back and be whole again. the guy can score, he is not a smurf and his plus minus is pretty good. It is a stop gap play but it is that or hope the kids on the farm are going to suddenly blossom. I say let's go get get him. Ok start the flaming.

Guest Stogey24

I don't know if this deserves a separate topic( i'll leave that to the mods) but I think it will generate some talk. Should we go sign Simon Gagne to a 1 year 1 million dollar contract? Yes, he is oft injured but he has had lots of rest lately. If Briere is going to be out for a while, maybe forever, then I think Gagne would be a cheap replacement. This may be premature as we don't know the extent of the injuries to Prust and Briere but if they are out for a significant period of time, then I think Simon would be an alternative. He should sign cheap and he costs us no players or prospects. If we get a couple of months out of him before he goes down with an injury we should have everyone back and be whole again. the guy can score, he is not a smurf and his plus minus is pretty good. It is a stop gap play but it is that or hope the kids on the farm are going to suddenly blossom. I say let's go get get him. Ok start the flaming.

There is no way habs sign him. He is just as washed up as Briere. It would be a mistake and another injury waiting to happen.

There is no way habs sign him. He is just as washed up as Briere. It would be a mistake and another injury waiting to happen.

Well I'd rather have washed up and injury prone at 1 year/1mill than 2 year/4 mill, but having both on the roster?

Agree with Stogey... a mistake fo sho.

any suggestions as to what to do?

I would consider claiming Staubitz off waivers if Prust is going to be out a while. I would just let Bournival take the place of Briere for now and hope the veterans namely Plekanec, Bourque, Gionta, and Desharnais start chipping in more offensively.

No! No! No!

Why is that that there is a suggestion to sign every washed up or injury prone francophone??????

No! No! No!

Why is that that there is a suggestion to sign every washed up or injury prone francophone??????

this has nothing to do with him being a francophone. This has to do with cheap short term help. he is 33 years old not 43.

And lets remember, I didn't want Briere in the first place. But we have to more than pull the blankets over our head and pretend there is no problem.

this has nothing to do with him being a francophone. This has to do with cheap short term help. he is 33 years old not 43.

And lets remember, I didn't want Briere in the first place. But we have to more than pull the blankets over our head and pretend there is no problem.

Gagne may be 33, but he is going on 43. The guy has been injured regularly for the past 5 years or so. Also keep in mind that he came up as a 19 or 20 year old, so he's got a lot of miles on those 23 years.

What pisses me off is that three names bandied about for the habs to sign before free agency started were Vinny, Briere and Gagne.

They are all well past their best before dates and the only reason for proposing them is that they are french. At this stage of their careers all 3 are lousy choices. If there names were lewis, Barrie or Gardner, none of them would have been considered based on their age, performance or health.

$8M for Briere based on his injuries/concussion history, age and performance last year was just plain dumb. If we were going to sign an old man, I would have preferred Jagr and think he would actually have been a better example to our kids given his commitment to fitness.

At this stage, I'd rather give some of our kids a look over tying up more money on lame horses.

Let's go with the replacements. It makes sense on some level, if these guys can't stay healthy, you don't want a logjam, so sign more players who can't stay healthy, and hope they turn over in the nick of time!

As far as Staubitz goes, take him. He could like Shawn Thornton if he got a chance.

Guest Stogey24

Let's go with the replacements. It makes sense on some level, if these guys can't stay healthy, you don't want a logjam, so sign more players who can't stay healthy, and hope they turn over in the nick of time!

As far as Staubitz goes, take him. He could like Shawn Thornton if he got a chance.

Staubitz can barely skate. He's not coming back.

None of those guys mentioned are going to dix the big problem with the team. That's defense. They are playing 4 bottom pair defenseman, most of which are small, soft, don\t win win battles and can't the puck out of the zone.

Other than Briere and DD, the forwards aren't too bad, especially with a few coming off the books at the end of the year. They do have decent forward talent, nothing proven of course.

Staubitz can barely skate. He's not coming back.

I wouldn't be so sure. Staubitz is already in the minors; the only reason Anaheim would re-waive him is if someone wants him; they don't need to waive him to keep him where he is. Given the Parros injury and the other players going down recently, the lack of decent cheap callup options, Staubitz's contract, his previous history in Montreal...I think there's a chance the Habs may be the team interested.

At the risk of suggesting washed up injury prone francophones, what about Latendresse? I'm not sure if he signed in the KHL or not, but he would be cheap and imho better than Gagne.

I wouldn't be so sure. Staubitz is already in the minors; the only reason Anaheim would re-waive him is if someone wants him; they don't need to waive him to keep him where he is. Given the Parros injury and the other players going down recently, the lack of decent cheap callup options, Staubitz's contract, his previous history in Montreal...I think there's a chance the Habs may be the team interested.

Parros is skating... he might be closer to returning than you'd think.

At the risk of suggesting washed up injury prone francophones, what about Latendresse? I'm not sure if he signed in the KHL or not, but he would be cheap and imho better than Gagne.

He's signed to Zurich of the NLA for the season. I don't know if there's an out clause.

Parros is skating... he might be closer to returning than you'd think.

If the Habs are the team after Staubitz, it's probably not a long-term solution. When they're done with him and Parros returns, they'd toss him back on waivers. They have a few contract slots available at the moment so they could afford to try it.

None of those guys mentioned are going to dix the big problem with the team. That's defense. They are playing 4 bottom pair defenseman, most of which are small, soft, don\t win win battles and can't the puck out of the zone.

Other than Briere and DD, the forwards aren't too bad, especially with a few coming off the books at the end of the year. They do have decent forward talent, nothing proven of course.

Well the only d man of significance that we are missing is Emelin. Parros Murray Drewiske are 7th defence at best. However losing Patches Briere and possibly Prust is very significant to me. Ok not so much Briere. Lets face it we have too many damn injuries and it must stop right now. If we don't make some kind of move we will lose the next bunch of games, imho, simply because we have very little offense. Maybe Prust is ok, lets hope so.

Staubitz rules.

The only idea in this thread that doesn't seem totally zonkers to me is signing Fatendresse to a cheap, what-the-hell contract and hoping his lumbering form can at least do some damage down low the way he did in his salad days playing with Lapierre. But as Habs29 will no doubt rush in to remind me, he represents yet another oft-injured francophone, this time of dubious work ethic and character. I seem to have this weird desire for closure on the Fats file...give him one last chance to resucitate his once-obvious potential. Couldn't hurt.

It would have preferred fats over Breire, vinny or Gagne, but given we could have had Jagr for the same money as Briere, that would have been my preference - and that would only have been a 1 yr deal.

I think it's too late for fats now, as he'd have to clear waivers for us to sign him.

The only idea in this thread that doesn't seem totally zonkers to me is signing Fatendresse to a cheap, what-the-hell contract and hoping his lumbering form can at least do some damage down low the way he did in his salad days playing with Lapierre. But as Habs29 will no doubt rush in to remind me, he represents yet another oft-injured francophone, this time of dubious work ethic and character. I seem to have this weird desire for closure on the Fats file...give him one last chance to resucitate his once-obvious potential. Couldn't hurt.

I agree with those that say no. Gagne is done. Hopefully Briere is too.

Here's the fix:

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen - Desharnais - Bournival

Dumont - White - Blunden

Bournival will replace Briere. Bourque/Moen get shuffled up and Dumont/Blunden get called up.

Hopefully Prust isn't out for long. Pacioretty is back in 10 games, Parros probably shortly afterwards.

If Therriens wants to test more kids instead of Blunden, then perhaps Holland or Thomas get called up. Not sure about Leblanc. I think they need Blunden's toughness.

If Therriens wants to test more kids instead of Blunden, then perhaps Holland or Thomas get called up. Not sure about Leblanc. I think they need Blunden's toughness.

Thomas has not yet played this season due to injury. (He technically is on the Habs' roster at the moment as it's a training camp hernia.)

we cant call up Dumont, who is off to a pitiful 1 assist in 4 games start in hamilton after a less than average camp. We basically call have to call up Blunden to play in Bournival's spot on the 4th line, while calling up Tarnasky to replace some of the grit and toughness missing from prust's injury.

At least both these players are currently producing and doing there jobs at an exemplary level in the minors, unlike Dumont or Leblanc. This injury to Briere opens up a spot for Bournival in the top 9, and possibly the top 6. We replace the players we lost with players that can play in there current spots, in there current roles, Blunden and Tarnasky can play the bottom 6 minutes that Briere and prust usually play. I know Prust has been playing more since Max went down, but he was playing bottom 6 minutes prior to that. I don't think we have to hit the panic button and sign some washed up guy that remains unsigned, and have to deal with scratching them when these guys start coming back in a few weeks. We have no strings with Blunden and Tarnasky, we use them to fill the bottom six, and maintain a similar level of toughness and forecheck, and send them on there way the moment Parros, max and company start coming back.

Galchenyuk - Eller - Galagher

Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta

Bourque - Desharnais - Moen

Tarnasky - White - Blunden

that line up can do an honorable job in the short term, without throwing away more money, and creating more headaches in a few weeks, thats my opinion anyway.