Habs vs Oilers, Oct. 22 7:30 pm

Neech

Booth would look damn good in a Habs Jersey. I just wish Desharnais had more value to his name.

Don't overrate Booth. He has sucked for the Canucks and was a healthy scratch last game. This is why I think he might be available - but we'd be insane to take on that 4.25 cap hit until 2015 unless we could send back a contract like Desharnais's. I wish I could argue that such a trade could make sense as a way of trying to get both players back on track, but there is enough skepticism about DD that I doubt Vancouver would buy the argument. If Desharnais can put together a good 2-3 week run and Booth continues to sulk in Torterella's doghouse, that's when I ring up Gillis.

Guest Stogey24

Don't overrate Booth. He has sucked for the Canucks and was a healthy scratch last game. This is why I think he might be available - but we'd be insane to take on that 4.25 cap hit until 2015 unless we could send back a contract like Desharnais's. I wish I could argue that such a trade could make sense as a way of trying to get both players back on track, but there is enough skepticism about DD that I doubt Vancouver would buy the argument. If Desharnais can put together a good 2-3 week run and Booth continues to sulk in Torterella's doghouse, that's when I ring up Gillis.

Booth missed training camp this year and still has a bunged up ankle. He's not playing to his potential. 4.5mill really isn't bad if you can unload DD in the package like you said. If there was anyway to get our hands on Horvat I would be all over it.

Gagne will not provide reliable goal-scoring. He is a bottom-6 forward now if anything. Now, I'm agnostic as to whether or not he would at least offer a credible warm body to throw out there - he might indeed be a decent way of bolstering our depth short-term - but anyone expecting him to come in and make an offensive difference isn't adequately factoring in his decline.

I think the issue with this 'Gagne' thing is only secondarily language; what it's primarily about is being impressed with a player's rep even though that player is a shadow of his former self. It becomes a language issue only insofar as Gagne is the ONLY UFA I ever hear mentioned as a stopgap solution for the Habs. Is he really so much better than other has-beens and never-weres out there? Or is it just that he has the right mother tongue?

But the real point is that if we're gonna sign him, it should be on the view that he is a depth forward only.

What I'd really like to see the Habs do is something analogous to what Vancouver's gotten away with with guys like Brad Richardson and Mike Santorelli: identify a player who maybe has untapped potential or could use a new start to really show his value, then scoop him up cheap. It's worth remembering that with Briere potentially done for good, we may turn out to need another FW irrespective of the current injury crunch. Gagne won't be that guy, that much is clear.

In the last 3 years he is a .5 ppg player. The reason he is the only name you hear is he is the best player not playing who is available. And yes he is a temporary fix, there is no downside and heck he may have something to prove.

He's in Winnipeg and cleared waivers at the beginning of the season.

OOPS :blush: I completely forgot that he was part of the deal when the former Thrashers traded Koval..what's his name to NJ. I remembered that he had cleared waivers that is why I was suggesting him in the under- the- radar player who might be a late bloomer. Or, like NJ and Winnipeg (ATL) scouts I might simply be over-valuing his Jr performances for Canada