Oct. 24, Ducks vs Canadiens, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

That game was pretty much how Edmonton should have went. Anaheim attacked in the second and some calls weren't made when they should have been but the team stood their ground and played smart defence instead of flopping all over the place. Nice to see a game where the team shows progression.

Brendan Gallagher is the fastest Hab since Valeri Bure.

Great game. I was really happy to see the kids cycling the puck, instead of doing one and dones. Subban is on a cold streak, points wise. If Raphael Diaz isn't racking up points, why is he here? Price is going to have to be on the money tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if he faced 45 shots.

That game was pretty much how Edmonton should have went. Anaheim attacked in the second and some calls weren't made when they should have been but the team stood their ground and played smart defence instead of flopping all over the place. Nice to see a game where the team shows progression.

Brendan Gallagher is the fastest Hab since Valeri Bure.

Bournival skates twice as fast as Gally.

Braindead choice for that game....DD easily was much better player.

DD was 13-2 vs 9-16 for the little Finn on faceoffs. And DD played a solid game all round.

Yeah. That was probably the 2nd best game of DD so far this season.

Good game by the boy's if they keep this up they will prove me wrong, which would be great. Bournival looked very good. Bourque it appears really wants to stay a Hab cause he is playing the best hockey of his career. DD gave a lot of effort and really should have had a goal or some points. Gorges had the brain cramp but other than that he looked good. Price is going to be the starting goal tender for Canada. playing awesome. Koivu was the 3rd star? Really? I know he is beloved in Montreal but let's face it they made him a star over some other people who really deserved it, like Price for instance. If the young guys keep playing like last night we might just get through this injury mess ok. Here's hoping. :habslogo:

The problem for DD isn't a lack of effort. His only effective time was between two big wingers having career years. They created a ton of space, finished his passes, and allowed him to score because the defenders were all over them. He also racked up a lot of points when the habs were bottom feeders, facing backup goalies every night.

I said at the time that I had no confidence he could maintain the pace and once Cole sucked or left, DD was exposed. He will never be worth his salary and would have already slipped down the depth chart if not for the contract forcing them to stick with him.

He has the talent of a third liner, but without the size and strength to be effective in that role. He should be playing in Europe.

I believe that DD has the talent to rebound as a number 2 and given that ( by today's ridiculous standards) he is not ridiculously overpaid he will have some value as trade bait if the need arises. This is not Gomez producing nothing being paid as much or more than the top players in the league.

I believe that DD has the talent to rebound as a number 2 and given that ( by today's ridiculous standards) he is not ridiculously overpaid he will have some value as trade bait if the need arises. This is not Gomez producing nothing being paid as much or more than the top players in the league.

It is Gomez, with a lower salary. He is still sucking up,ice time with no results.

I haven't seen anything like the Gallagher goal in Montreal in almost 20 years. Maybe he's faster on a regular basis but top end speed? Not a chance.

Yeah, we have yet to see if Bournival can pull a nice move like that with the puck, but just carrying the puck, I believe Bournival is the fastest skater we had since Grabovski. Gomez was pretty quick with the puck as well.

It is Gomez, with a lower salary. He is still sucking up,ice time with no results.

the last couple games he has really put in the effort, he just needs a couple breaks to go his way.

the last couple games he has really put in the effort, he just needs a couple breaks to go his way.

Exactly.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, we have yet to see if Bournival can pull a nice move like that with the puck, but just carrying the puck, I believe Bournival is the fastest skater we had since Grabovski. Gomez was pretty quick with the puck as well.

Bournival has some serious top end speed. He's only going to get faster and stronger.

? what?

FTFY means 'Fixed That For You.' He took your original comment:

And added:

"so that he can be traded away for some actual value."

I don't think a couple of breaks are going to help DD. It isn't that he will never score again, but he will never be a 40 plus point player. Maybe not even 30. If he was a good third line shutdown player that would be fine, but he isn't.

His one good season was an outlier. He is the Steve Penny of forwards.

I don't think a couple of breaks are going to help DD. It isn't that he will never score again, but he will never be a 40 plus point player. Maybe not even 30. If he was a good third line shutdown player that would be fine, but he isn't.

That's fair, but it does seem that DD is also in a genuine slump. I've noticed several plays over the last while where he doesn't make the 'confident' play (e.g., he holds on to the puck too long; overthinks what he's doing; whiffs on a shot; etc.) and these sorts of behaviours are typical of a player who is mired in a slump and doubting himself. What I want is for him to bag a couple, get his confidence back, and then become in principle tradable. The Desharnais that first came up won a surprising number of puck battles with canny positioning and consistently made smart offensive plays. He has that much in him.

A frustrating thing to think about...Bergevin showed inordinate confidence in Desharnais by locking him up to that longish deal, even though DD had only had one good season; and meanwhile he seemed to take a more skeptical attitude toward Subban despite PK's having stepped right in as an impact player under arduous circumstances. Now maybe this had to do with their different contractual statuses. But at face value it does seem perverse; surely the player that should have elicited skepticism was the 5-foot-zero smurf whose main NHL success had come on a bad team between two hulking studs, rather than a kid who stepped right in from the AHL to become our de facto #1 D?

But he was on 50 point pace also last year, which is only 10 or so off his "outlier" season.

He had great offense at all lower leagues and is a 0.6 ppg in his first 2.5 seasons in NHL, which is better than a whole pile of NHLers had to start of career.

Maybe you are correct and he is washed up at 27 and maybe millions of $ swelled his head just a touch and he dosent have same drive he needed to succeed in the past?

well i thought it was something completely different :)

It does have another interpretation, which is a lot less kinder, but that definitely wasn't the intended meaning here.

just a thought but Calgary got rid of Martin St Louis when his numbers were more depressing than DD's. Do you think they would like a do-over?

Just so we can get this behind us, Trizzak I misinterpreted your abbreviation and I truly apologize.

as far as i'm concerned, DD is now where he belongs, behind Eller and Plekanec. Yes he is making a bit too much dough for a 3rd line center, but not insanely too much, and ultimately he isn't holding any kids back, and not taking ice time others deserve ahead of him based on performance.

Do we seriously think anyone on the 4th line should get his ice time, his roster spot at the moment? doubt it, my problem with his off year last year was he was in fact taking away Eller's chance in the position HE belonged in because we as a team were hoping to god DD would wake up at some point and kept giving him the 16- 18 min a game. This year there was no choice, Eller came out guns blazing, and DD did not, now he finds himself getting the 13 minutes while Eller get the 18.

a slumping DD is obviously useless, we all know that, but the fact is offensive players can turn things on a dime. we were all ready to jump down Max's throat last season when he went almost this long without a goal, and suddenly a 150 foot goal scored put him on track with his confidence and he ended up coming back from such a horrid start to lead the team in points. I'm not even suggesting that DD will do the same, my point is, when he cracks the barrel, and he will soon, he will get himself and his wingers back on track as well. I don`t think, if the season is over and I look at our 3rd line center and see 35 - 45 points, i`m going to be too disappointed, certainly not Gomez disappointed.

• Upvote 2

DD can be effective on a line with pure goal scorers, a lot of ice time, and tons of PP time, he doesn't make others better, they make him better.

Still, he was a minus player last year under optimal conditions for him. Everyone knows how to deal with him now and he will never get to play on the top line again a sling as Eller and Pleks are healthy. And I am sorry, but we could get a much better third line center for his money. He is not good enough defensively, which is why MT hung on for so long giving him so much offensive time. That's over now with The Egg line dominating.