Alexei Emelin re-signs; $16.4 million total; $4.1 M AAV

Glad to have him locked up! Apparently he's been rehabbing like a mad man. It's a bit more money per year than I was expecting, but when healthy he deserves it. Compare to Gorges at roughly the same salary: Emelin is more physical and has more offensive ability. He's our second wave powerplay guy.

I hope he gets used as 2nd wave PP.

People don't think he has much offensive ability but I believe he can score 5-7 a year and and 20-25 assists.

Not to mention people fear coming across the blue line when he is playing!

I am excited about this deal and I hope PK is done next sometime in early January.

I hope he gets used as 2nd wave PP.

People don't think he has much offensive ability but I believe he can score 5-7 a year and and 20-25 assists.

Not to mention people fear coming across the blue line when he is playing!

I am excited about this deal and I hope PK is done next sometime in early January.

He had 12 points in 40 games last year, so the offensive totals you project are quite realistic.

The guy was an impending UFA, so anyone who thinks this is an overpay - as per several whiny posters on H I/O - is off their nut.

Like the signing. I dont think that it is too much for what he brings to the Habs. With him in the line-up the Habs D is much nastier. Having Murray also helps on that regard. Now the Habs have two D-men signed for next year. Still more work to do with signing Subban a priority and seeing if Markov will take a discount to remain a Hab for his entire career.

The guy was an impending UFA, so anyone who thinks this is an overpay - as per several whiny posters on H I/O - is off their nut.

I find it's high to be honest but not a massive overpay either. He's still rather inexperienced (105 GP in the NHL) but brings a much needed element to the game. I thought $3.75 M or thereabouts was the magic number given the risk the Habs are assuming with him coming off of a serious knee injury.

I don't mind the contract, though I suspect MB knows something about the cap that we don't, yet, because that is pretty high if you consider the other signings he needs to make!

He would have got 4 mill on the market, and we want him, so good deal. Hopefully Marky will take 5 mill 3 years. Subban 7.5 for 7 years, Eller 4 mill 5 years. Still need to dump Briere and DD and sign Gionta. That's a tall order.

I can't see us being able to dump Briere or DD. Might also don't see us having room to resign Gionta, when we need to sign Subban, Eller and Markov this year and the Gally's next year.

He would have got 4 mill on the market, and we want him, so good deal. Hopefully Marky will take 5 mill 3 years. Subban 7.5 for 7 years, Eller 4 mill 5 years. Still need to dump Briere and DD and sign Gionta. That's a tall order.

I don't mind the contract, though I suspect MB knows something about the cap that we don't, yet, because that is pretty high if you consider the other signings he needs to make!

The cap is likely to start with a 7 next year so there is some room to work with in that regard. Having so many potential UFA's also means that there's plenty coming off of this years' cap as well.

I'm happy with this. Because of our crazy taxes, we've got to over pay a little, and we all know that. I don't think Gionta can be resigned though. I'd be thrilled if PK get's signed by Christmas. A little gift for us all.

The value is fine. Pretty much where I thought. Maybe $100-200K more than what I thought. Woopie doo.

Capgeek.com has us with $20M available at the current cap amount. That is with 10 forwards signed, three defencemen signed and the goalies signed.

RFA's include:

- PK Subban

- Lars Eller

- Louis Leblanc

UFA's include:

- Andrei Markov

- Brian Gionta

- Raphael Diaz

- George Parros

Doubt we'll be bringing back Cube or Murray.

We are not in a cap issue at all next season, even with DD and Briere. The biggest reason? The team is set in such a way that when Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Bournival are RFAs, that's the same season Plekanec, Bourque, Prust and Moen are UFA.

Great deal for Emelin. I really like his game.

No chance they resign Gionta.

Markov is a tough one, when healthy he is an incredible player. Don' know if he signs a 2 year deal for 5? Probably gets more on the open market. He is the one guy who has been pretty loyal to organization and vise versa.

Subban will probably get 7.25 or so.

I fully expect one of Tinordi or Bealiue to be a full timer next year. Don't know enough about Nygren or the others to say they are NHL ready.

Every one will jump on me for this one, but I resign Parros 2 years. His size and toughness will be needed as the team goes younger.

Every one will jump on me for this one, but I resign Parros 2 years. His size and toughness will be needed as the team goes younger.

If there isn't another younger enforcer available. They have the right idea with Conor Crisp, at some point, they have to develop a "company man" to provide the fisticuffs. Timmons said so himself. We've had too many enforcers on the downside of their career since Nilan/Odelein (who brought much more to the table). Mick Vukota, Enrico Ciccone, Parros, Laraque etc.

Would have been nice to see Emelin skate for at least a week before signing him, but if he continues to grow into the defenseman he could be, this deal is fine.

He is skating with the team, so they have seen him. I don't think he is as dependant on speed as someone like PK.

If there isn't another younger enforcer available. They have the right idea with Conor Crisp, at some point, they have to develop a "company man" to provide the fisticuffs. Timmons said so himself. We've had too many enforcers on the downside of their career since Nilan/Odelein (who brought much more to the table). Mick Vukota, Enrico Ciccone, Parros, Laraque etc.

Connor Crisp could become the perfect enforcer for us. I see a Shawn Thornton mold for him, a big bodied fourth liner that can hit, intimidate, be defensively sound and fight when needed while not being a black hole on the scoreboard. He's a lot better than the reaction he deserved. From another site last week:

Connor Crisp has played well since the puck dropped this season, and this past week was his best yet. Crisp faced off against the Whalers in the first of two games this past week. Crisp picked up a roughing penalty early, but just a shift after getting out of the box, he grabbed an assist on Matthew Campagna’s goal. With the game over, Crisp engaged in a scrap with Mitch Jones. The following night, Crisp played his best game of the week. Crisp and the Wolves took on the Steelheads in a thrilling game. Crisp tied the game up at four on the powerplay after driving hard to the net. Just two minutes later, Crisp would give the Wolves the lead with a nice shot. In overtime, Crisp would set up Corbett, who would score, winning the game. Crisp has gotten off to a great start this season, with six goals and seven assists in 11 games.