When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Wow who dug this old chestnut out? We had some fun with it last year, maybe it still has some legs. I don't like MT as coach but he has gotten results. Or at least he gets credit for getting results doing some very (how do you say stupid nicely) oh yeah incomprehensible tactics. He is not going to get fired any time soon and if he does he could could give a crap. Lots of bucks in that new contract. But I see what Hartley has done in Calgary and wonder what if? I think if I remember right he turned us down. Or something like that. Did we make the right choice? Doesn't look like it right now. But hey Vive Le Genius, he will lead us through the darkness.

dont think he got the chance to turn us down. habs dragged the hiring process on and calgary snapped up hartley. lroy had to many demands. like recess at school that left therrien standing there by himself and we took him. correct me is i am wrong was their a fourthname in the another name in the hat? crawford?

If getting to the semi finals means so much Martin would still be coaching the habs. He coached a team led by Scott gomez, Hal gill and halak as far as Therrien took these guys last year.

But Martin is gone because the 010 two round play off wins meant nothing when the team could not keep it up.

Stay tuned. Same show playing again.

But hey, they could both press conferences in two languages.

Actually, when the team played Martin's system it reliably enjoyed good success. Martin was fired because the team revolted against him and went on to miss the playoffs; and that was fair enough. It doesn't matter how good a coach you are once a critical mass of players have decided they want you out.

I said when he was hired that a similar player revolt would be The Genius's downfall here and expected it to happen this season. So I'm not saying this could never happen (although Therrien does seem to have learned a thing or two from his previous experiences, and has earned my grudging respect). One thing's for sure: I wouldn't use the current slump to infer anything about his future in Montreal. The sample size is far too small to prove any sort of pattern. All teams slump, no matter how good they are. Now if the slump continues for weeks and weeks - if a team that ought to be a clear-cut playoff team ends up desperately scrambling and on the bubble - then that's when MB would need to consider the guillotine.

In more general terms, there would be absolutely nothing surprising in MT getting canned within the next year or two. I think he is one of a large number of perfectly adequate NHL coaches. I don't think he is a "franchise" coach, the kind of coach you build your organization around, like Trotz or Quenneville or Babcock. So it sounds like, deep down, we actually agree. I'm just less strident about it.

As for whether MT can "ever" win the Cup, the honest answer is I don't know. I doubt he is such a clown that his coaching will single-handedly drag a top-end team to its demise. We also have a guy called Carey Price who can compensate for a multitude of sins. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

dont think he got the chance to turn us down. habs dragged the hiring process on and calgary snapped up hartley. lroy had to many demands. like recess at school that left therrien standing there by himself and we took him. correct me is i am wrong was their a fourthname in the another name in the hat? crawford?

Actually I think it was maguire (oh thank the great pumpkin we didn't get him) Yeah you are right I remember we were still talkng about hartley being a candidate and the flames were signing him.

Hartley thought Calgary had a better shot at the playoffs. He stressed in interviews that Calgary was only five points behind the Kings. It had nothing to do with the process length. Everyone was laughing at him in 2013 for picking the Flames over the division leading Habs and now we're upset? Laughs.

Hartley thought Calgary had a better shot at the playoffs. He stressed in interviews that Calgary was only five points behind the Kings. It had nothing to do with the process length. Everyone was laughing at him in 2013 for picking the Flames over the division leading Habs and now we're upset? Laughs.

Both good coaches, both francophone. Who's really upset though? A few 12 year olds posting on TSN? MT isn't going anywhere, and he shouldn't.

..now 'some' are upset, not all.

Coaches come and go and bout only one (vet coach) i can think of to have never been fired at least once and his career record not shabby.

Both good coaches, both francophone. Who's really upset though? A few 12 year olds posting on TSN? MT isn't going anywhere, and he shouldn't.

thats what they said about Martin after his habs team beat the defending stanley cup champs (pens) and then defeated the president trophy winners (caps) before bowing out in the semis to the flyers.

who were they "laughing at" on sunday?

This thread was started last year and was just bumped yesterday, there's nothing going on currently with any sort of incident.

thanks for clarifying. thought i might have missed something

Actually, when the team played Martin's system it reliably enjoyed good success. Martin was fired because the team revolted against him and went on to miss the playoffs; and that was fair enough. It doesn't matter how good a coach you are once a critical mass of players have decided they want you out.

I said when he was hired that a similar player revolt would be The Genius's downfall here and expected it to happen this season. So I'm not saying this could never happen (although Therrien does seem to have learned a thing or two from his previous experiences, and has earned my grudging respect). One thing's for sure: I wouldn't use the current slump to infer anything about his future in Montreal. The sample size is far too small to prove any sort of pattern. All teams slump, no matter how good they are. Now if the slump continues for weeks and weeks - if a team that ought to be a clear-cut playoff team ends up desperately scrambling and on the bubble - then that's when MB would need to consider the guillotine.

In more general terms, there would be absolutely nothing surprising in MT getting canned within the next year or two. I think he is one of a large number of perfectly adequate NHL coaches. I don't think he is a "franchise" coach, the kind of coach you build your organization around, like Trotz or Quenneville or Babcock. So it sounds like, deep down, we actually agree. I'm just less strident about it.

As for whether MT can "ever" win the Cup, the honest answer is I don't know. I doubt he is such a clown that his coaching will single-handedly drag a top-end team to its demise. We also have a guy called Carey Price who can compensate for a multitude of sins. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

the sample size is way to small for sure. however, having said that if the play more games like the last four.........and have a few more beat downs like tbay and calgary games........ it is no longer too small a sample size . and this team is more than capable of that. not all mt's fault but he will be his job to pull out it.

not easy to do when your top line centerman has 0 goals 5 on 5, is on pace for 7 goals a season. thats about one goal a month. ouch

Ah yes. Let's question our coaching decision from two years ago based on one game!

lol. can only speak for myself but i questioned it when he was hired, then when the could not win a game down the stretch before play offs in his first season, then when the senators absolutely hammered them in the play offs, then again last season when he was throwing subban under the bus and marvellng about boulion, when he was giving gionta the second most ice time on the team right up untill he was let go.

mt should give a slice of his paycheck to carey price....the one and only reason this team made the play offs the last two years.

lol. can only speak for myself but i questioned it when he was hired, then when the could not win a game down the stretch before play offs in his first season, then when the senators absolutely hammered them in the play offs, then again last season when he was throwing subban under the bus and marvellng about boulion, when he was giving gionta the second most ice time on the team right up untill he was let go.

mt should give a slice of his paycheck to carey price....the one and only reason this team made the play offs the last two years.

and oh, when he was totally out coached in last season in the semi finals by venieult

This I agree with. But he ain't going anywhere right now. The record is still good, he has new contract hidden away in a safe. Mt still buys him a scotch once in a while. And the king reason of all.........there aren't any french speaking coaches available right now except maybe Guy Boucher, and MT don't have his number.

and oh, when he was totally out coached in last season in the semi finals by venieult

An assistant coach will get fired before they fire the head coach..

Yes, I could see that. Do they miss Gallant's positivity at this time?

Who started this foolish thread again? Chicken Little or Eeyore? :angry2:

It was me who bumped it. Not a fan of MT from the beginning. His player usage and line up ddecisionsare mind boggling.

well originally I started it but I don't know who revived it it. Le Genius rules. or something like that.

Nope it was me.

And the lineup of upgrades of french coaches include exactly who?

And when new coach has couple losses, it will be "When does X get fired", because no matter who replaces him, the majority of fickle fairweather Habfans wont like him from the start.

I've been reading this forum in its entirety for 10 years (sure my post count is low but my read count is right up there in rocket richard hall of fame status)... and it seems to me you don't even like the habs.. and are one of the most negative fans I've ever seen come to this forum... and please spare me the mombo jumbo that your a realist and you say it like you see it blah blah blah... do the habs do anything right?? like you keep tossing JM name and what we did in 2010.... our cinderella run in 2010 is not even comparable to LY run... one was a cinderella story. LY it was a young emerging team building off the year prior just like were building this season off LY success (and yes it matters)

FACT: habs are one of the top 10 winningest teams in hockey over the last few years... stats don't lie exact spot not sure but i know its right up there!!

MT has won way more games then he's lost since his return

As for last seasons loss to the rangers i think your completely wrong with that statement. although MT did not have his team prepared to play in game 1 which he is accountable for, the rangers got all the bounces in that series and thats why they won...

ryan mcdonaugh was the series best defender not PK

lundquist was better than tokarski! not by much but better none the less.

best forward can you say st. louis and co or patch? out coached?? get real!!!!

New York defeated Montreal in 6 games.

-With the Rangers holding a 2–1 lead midway through the second period of Game 1, Kreider collided with Price, Although Price finished the rest of the period and let in a couple goals, he did not return for the rest of the series. Budaj played for the rest of the game but the Rangers shelled us 7–2. out coached?

-rookie goalie Dustin Tokarski starts in Game 2. However Henrik Lundqvist stopped 40 of 41 shots, and the rangers score a brace on the PP we lose 3-1. out coached?

- we won game 3 in OT after prust took out stepan and some bad bounce goals both ways galchenyuk scores the biggest goal of his career to date. out coached?***
-The Rangers won Game 4, 3–2, as Martin St. Louis scored 6:02 into overtime on the perfect shot into the top left corner of the net..... perfect shot!!! out coached?
- The Canadiens then bounced back in Game 5, winning 7–4, as they scored 4 goals out of their first 18 shots, and Rene Bourque recorded a hat trick LOL. although we took the foot off the pedal and allowed the score to climb to 7-4!!! out coached?
-However ex hab dom moore ended the series during an emotional rollar coaster off ice(wife) , scored Game 6's only goal very late in the second period, and with a 1–0 lead they put on a clinical defensive effort in the 3rd to close it out.... hardly out coached..
​now I'm not saying MT is great, geez I'm not even saying he's good.... but his 85-45 record is very good and hardly that of someone who is even considered in the hot seat... as bad as we've played so far we are still 8-4-1 and i believe good teams find ways to win even when we play poorly and we'll soon get out of this early season slump.
just saying negativity brings but more negativity.... and its all i read from you!
edit***
  • Upvote 1

And the lineup of upgrades of french coaches include exactly who?

And when new coach has couple losses, it will be "When does X get fired", because no matter who replaces him, the majority of fickle fairweather Habfans wont like him from the start.

so keep him forever!

I've been reading this forum in its entirety for 10 years (sure my post count is low but my read count is right up there in rocket richard hall of fame status)... and it seems to me you don't even like the habs.. and are one of the most negative fans I've ever seen come to this forum... and please spare me the mombo jumbo that your a realist and you say it like you see it blah blah blah... do the habs do anything right?? like you keep tossing JM name and what we did in 2010.... our cinderella run in 2010 is not even comparable to LY run... one was a cinderella story. LY it was a young emerging team building off the year prior just like were building this season off LY success (and yes it matters)

FACT: habs are one of the top 10 winningest teams in hockey over the last few years... stats don't lie exact spot not sure but i know its right up there!!

MT has won way more games then he's lost since his return

As for last seasons loss to the rangers i think your completely wrong with that statement. although MT did not have his team prepared to play in game 1 which he is accountable for, the rangers got all the bounces in that series and thats why they won...

ryan mcdonaugh was the series best defender not PK

lundquist was better than tokarski! not by much but better none the less.

best forward can you say st. louis and co or patch? out coached?? get real!!!!

New York defeated Montreal in 6 games.

-With the Rangers holding a 2–1 lead midway through the second period of Game 1, Kreider collided with Price, Although Price finished the rest of the period and let in a couple goals, he did not return for the rest of the series. Budaj played for the rest of the game but the Rangers shelled us 7–2. out coached?

-rookie goalie Dustin Tokarski starts in Game 2. However Henrik Lundqvist stopped 40 of 41 shots, and the rangers score a brace on the PP we lose 3-1. out coached?

- we won game 3 in OT after prust took out stepan and some bad bounce goals both ways galchenyuk scores the biggest goal of his career to date. out coached?***
-The Rangers won Game 4, 3–2, as Martin St. Louis scored 6:02 into overtime on the perfect shot into the top left corner of the net..... perfect shot!!! out coached?
- The Canadiens then bounced back in Game 5, winning 7–4, as they scored 4 goals out of their first 18 shots, and Rene Bourque recorded a hat trick LOL. although we took the foot off the pedal and allowed the score to climb to 7-4!!! out coached?
-However ex hab dom moore ended the series during an emotional rollar coaster off ice(wife) , scored Game 6's only goal very late in the second period, and with a 1–0 lead they put on a clinical defensive effort in the 3rd to close it out.... hardly out coached..
​now I'm not saying MT is great, geez I'm not even saying he's good.... but his 85-45 record is very good and hardly that of someone who is even considered in the hot seat... as bad as we've played so far we are still 8-4-1 and i believe good teams find ways to win even when we play poorly and we'll soon get out of this early season slump.
just saying negativity brings but more negativity.... and its all i read from you!
edit***

i could try cheerleading but i gave up on that long ago.

thanks for the input though.

liked you take on the rangers series.

but i tend to agree with with chris nilan and guy lafluer ....... out coached. not ready to play game one. no adjustments made in game 6" totally winnable series after beating bruins.

i dont deny i am on the negative side. hate being right in this case ha! or did you not watch the last 5 games.

i'll tone it down none the less

cheers

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy a lot of these posts and I am glad I bumped this thread.

It's very nice to see people remaining calm and still supporting MT.

To those many whoa are still optimistic, do you think another member of the coaching staff should be fired?

How will this "slump" end? and when?

Still no goals against Buffalo....

I really enjoy a lot of these posts and I am glad I bumped this thread.

It's very nice to see people remaining calm and still supporting MT.

To those many whoa are still optimistic, do you think another member of the coaching staff should be fired?

If they have to fire an assistant coach, my pick would be Jodoin or Daigneault. If the defensive zone miscues continues, Daigneault becomes a logical choice. The only problem is, the logical replacement would be Lefebvre who has been a D coach in the NHL. That scares me greatly.

If they have to fire an assistant coach, my pick would be Jodoin or Daigneault. If the defensive zone miscues continues, Daigneault becomes a logical choice. The only problem is, the logical replacement would be Lefebvre who has been a D coach in the NHL. That scares me greatly.

Really too bad they didn't get Robinson when they had the chance eh?

Really too bad they didn't get Robinson when they had the chance eh?

did you REALLY need to bring that up as well???