When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

I simply don't follow coachs closely, Crawford dosent seem an idiot, but how his team have played, under or over achieving, or style I cant even take a wild guess at.

He won cup with Aves didn't he and had good teams in Vancouver...then Dallas you say, don't remember that?

Always Bouche isn't there?

I simply don't follow coachs closely, Crawford dosent seem an idiot, but how his team have played, under or over achieving, or style I cant even take a wild guess at.

He won cup with Aves didn't he and had good teams in Vancouver...then Dallas you say, don't remember that?

Always Bouche isn't there?

Guy Boucher was a disaster in Tampa. At least Crow has a long track-record of achievement as well as failure (and yes, I remember Bourque on the shootout; it's just that I don't think a guy should go unemployed for 20 years because of that one mistake). Also, importantly to me at least, Boucher is a prototypical example of a guy who over-coaches and keeps his players hemmed into a suffocating system. Crawford is known for being an up-tempo coach. And yeah, he coached Dallas to within one point of a playoff spot. Not saying he is some sort of genius, but I'm surprised that he isn't more frequently mentioned as a possible candidate for Habs' bench-boss.

Carbo was terrible. His teams played with zero structure and the game plan amounted to asking Kovalev whether he felt like going that night. The team completely and spectacularly quit on him in 2009, and Bob has zero choice to slit the throat of the protégé he had brought along for years. There is simply no basis to argue that he is a better coach than Therrien.

Firing Therrien because of a four-game slump is idiotic, but whatever. If we're still struggling five or six weeks from now, we can start that discussion.

In terms of replacements, apart from some obscure francophone in the minors somewhere, my choice would be Marc Crawford. He was never a "control freak" kind of coach and his love of up-tempo hockey would be great for Subban. He has a crazily varied resumé and has seen the highest heights and the lowest lows the game can dish out - perfect preparation for coaching in Montreal. In his last NHL gig, he did a good job with a bad Dallas team and only got canned because a new GM wanted his own guy. He fairly recently won a championship in the European league where he's presently coaching. He's got a Cup ring. He'd be my choice.

"there is simply no basis to argue that he is a better coach than therrien"

or worse

"there is simply no basis to argue that he is a better coach than therrien"

or worse

Nonsense. Carbo had one good year, a mediocre playoff, and a disaster. Therrien has delivered strong results for two and a half years running and the team shows no signs of quitting on him yet. Nor is anyone going around saying MT "can't communicate." Carbo was crap. Therrien is no genius but is a legitimate NHL coach. Face facts.

Nonsense. Carbo had one good year, a mediocre playoff, and a disaster. Therrien has delivered strong results for two and a half years running and the team shows no signs of quitting on him yet. Nor is anyone going around saying MT "can't communicate." Carbo was crap. Therrien is no genius but is a legitimate NHL coach. Face facts.

medicore coach.

after pitts nobody gave him a sniff for 5 yerars............ and if did not speak french nobody would have again

I think a more objective assessment is that Therrien is one of a large number of perfectly competent, ultimately forgettable NHL coaches. We all agree that he is not in that small class of elite coaches like Babcock or Quenneville. But the idea that he is garbage is a huge overstatement, no more credible than the claim that he is elite. But I say that because I'm assessing overall team performance under him, not comparing him to some fantasy ideal where Pacioretty is a 70-goal scorer and the Habs win 82 straight games.

no way i'd want to replace MT with Carbo.

FFS, the problem isn't behind the bench.

MT has been a head coach since 1990 when he was 27 years old. This is his 10th season as a coach in the NHL. The man can clearly coach. But because some disagree with some of his decisions, have some sort of idealistic representation of what the team should be, or just flat out don't like him, he can do no right in their eyes. Habs win despite him, lose because of him. There is no point in debating with these people.

• Upvote 1

I'm just tuning in again after a while... Carbo? Really? If it's all the same, I could just get a bunch of chickens, chop off their heads, and let them run around the ice. That's a Carbo team. Including the bloody mess. And as for Therrien sitting out after Pit dumped him, where is Carbo again? He became coach for a Q team and... resigned? Carbo has a *lot* to learn. Not to say Therrien is all that, but Carbo?

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many fans of struggling teams look at the success Therrien has had with a 28th place team and say "I wish Therrien coached this team?" I'm certain Oilers' fans would prefer Therrien over Hollywood Eakins.

ya say that as if they hired someone else they would still be in 28th

FFS, the problem isn't behind the bench.

the problem at the end of last season was not the captain either.........and he's gone.

like all coaches, therrien will be fired........and he wont have a stanley cup ring when it happens.

MT has been a head coach since 1990 when he was 27 years old. This is his 10th season as a coach in the NHL. The man can clearly coach. But because some disagree with some of his decisions, have some sort of idealistic representation of what the team should be, or just flat out don't like him, he can do no right in their eyes. Habs win despite him, lose because of him. There is no point in debating with these people.

"MT has been a head coach since 1990"

where was he coaching in 09,010,011,012 ?

Montreal coaches let go with winning records

Burns

Julien

Carbs

Demers

Berry

Martin

matter of fact, only two modern day coaches have been were let go WITHOUT winning records....MichelleTherrien, Alan Venieult (MT was .500)

some like MT some dont ............. but a winning record is not iron clad reason not to be fired. or as GM's like to put it "we are going in another direction"

ok, here's my take:

- slow, non-aggressive defensemen

-poor defensive zone coverage(including forwards)

-pisspoor powerplay, you don't put perimeter players on pp

-too many soft players..gilbert, gonchar, and desjarnais are not top 4d or #1c

-DD has no business playing quality minutes

-perimeter play in offensive zone

as you can see, they're all issues that can be worked on, or tended to. call me crazy, but that's how I see it

ok, here's my take:

as you can see, they're all issues that can be worked on, or tended to. call me crazy, but that's how I see it

wont argue with any of that

You will have to explain that to me. 2006-2007 42 w 34 l missed playoffs by 1 pt (1 goal really)

2007-2008 47w 25 l made it to the 2nd round. Coach of the year was bandied about.

2008-2009 35w 24 l fired. record after being fired BOB 6w 9l .

I am not counting the loser points. But it seems to me he had a winning record, and when bob took over at the request of Koivu (rumour) the Team did worse and barely scraped into a playoff spot. So where was the disaster? Maybe if Bob had supported and helped his coach instead of throwing him under the bus it might have been different.

ok, here's my take:

Subban and markov are premier defence men. You can't afford 6 subban's.

poor defensive zone coverage? that is a coaching issue

piss poor power play? that is a coachig issue

soft players? prust weaver eller subban markov and others are not soft. you are just cherry picking.

DD is one of the hardest workers on the team. who would you perfer? Bourque?

perineter play in offensive zone is a coaching issue.

This is just my opinion but the coach institutes the systems and the players execute it, so if you don't like the system don't blame the players. They are doing what they are told.

• Upvote 1

You will have to explain that to me. 2006-2007 42 w 34 l missed playoffs by 1 pt (1 goal really)

2007-2008 47w 25 l made it to the 2nd round. Coach of the year was bandied about.

2008-2009 35w 24 l fired. record after being fired BOB 6w 9l .

I am not counting the loser points. But it seems to me he had a winning record, and when bob took over at the request of Koivu (rumour) the Team did worse and barely scraped into a playoff spot. So where was the disaster? Maybe if Bob had supported and helped his coach instead of throwing him under the bus it might have been different.

The team quit on him in 2009. It was awful to watch.

The team quit on him in 2009. It was awful to watch.

won his last game 4-1 in dallas. had a better powerplay than therrien could even dream about.

Koivu said the team never quit on Carbs

Gainey said he simply did not like "the way the team was playing"

look it up