When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

He was a lot more successful overseas than Boucher.

My post was in jest, but in fact I've long argued that Crawford is the best (known) candidate to coach this team. He got all you could get out of a mediocre Stars lineup and was only fired due to a GM change. He's literally seen it all in the NHL - the highest highs and the lowest lows - and is therefore well-equipped to handle the Montreal circus. He has indeed had lots of overseas success, and he coaches with offence in mind. If MT gets the axe, he's definitely my choice.

I wonder if Therrien is sweating right now. This team is literally crumbling. Probably smoking a couple packs a day at this point

He has been so cool and calm since he came back. I think we should be putting bets on when the explosion comes, cause that is when he gets fired. 2 more losses and Le Genius will Le Rocket. :)

The problem we keep coming back to is, even if we do fire MT - with whom do we replace him? I like Crawford, but he's under contract and apparently (?) wouldn't be able to skip out in mid-season. As Commandant pointed out, the most obvious replacement is Lefebvre. We should think about that before jumping aboard the good ship Fire Therrien.

The problem we keep coming back to is, even if we do fire MT - with whom do we replace him? I like Crawford, but he's under contract and apparently (?) wouldn't be able to skip out in mid-season. As Commandant pointed out, the most obvious replacement is Lefebvre. We should think about that before jumping aboard the good ship Fire Therrien.

CC I don't think we are going to fire him. I am not even advocating that we do. I am just wondering how long before his head explodes. What is Guy Boucher up to these days. I do believe he is unemployed. Now Lefebvre should be fired just so we don't have to think about him being head coach. There is a lot of talent in the Montreal head office coaching and GM wise. Maybe Boucher with some help from above (ok Thabs not that high up, just office suite high) could get it done. Man you want to see a trap that Guy will show you a trap. Hey maybe we could get Carbo back and have the 2 Guy show? What we have right now is a farce so hence I prefer to tell jokes rather than cry in my vodka. :nuts:

And his temper just passed "pissed off" explosion coming soon. The steam she is a rising.

I don't think the timing of that is too coincidental. Therrien has noted that the 24/7 cameras were a distraction and I suspect he may have tried to stay on his best behaviour - we all know those types of shows live for the negatives/controversy (and they can't exercise editorial control like 24 CH) so they kept the out lash to a minimum while the cameras were there. Now that they're gone, the other approach is likely to come.

Crawford does have an NHL out clause in his contract although I don't know if that can be triggered midseason, it may just allow him to move in the offseason. A little known fact - Montreal hired his brother this offseason.

Three possible replacements come to mind and none of them are all that appealing:

- Lefebvre - mediocre at best in the AHL and he runs the same system/styles as Therrien.

- Boucher - if you think the Habs sit back with a lead now, you're in for a huge surprise. A benefit of watching the Spengler Cup was watching the beloved 1-2-2/1-3-1 (depending on the situation) routinely with the lead. He also put M-A Bergeron out there to kill a 5-on-3 situation. (Shockingly, Canada killed that off.) For anyone who wants Dan Lacroix gone, keep in mind that and Boucher have a history together.

- Jodoin - if they were to fire Therrien (and I highly doubt they're close to that yet) and want to wait until the offseason to have more options for interviews, he could be a passable interim guy without taking any of the other coaches out of their roles.

Crawford does have an NHL out clause in his contract although I don't know if that can be triggered midseason, it may just allow him to move in the offseason. A little known fact - Montreal hired his brother this offseason.

Three possible replacements come to mind and none of them are all that appealing:

- Lefebvre - mediocre at best in the AHL and he runs the same system/styles as Therrien.

- Boucher - if you think the Habs sit back with a lead now, you're in for a huge surprise. A benefit of watching the Spengler Cup was watching the beloved 1-2-2/1-3-1 (depending on the situation) routinely with the lead. He also put M-A Bergeron out there to kill a 5-on-3 situation. (Shockingly, Canada killed that off.) For anyone who wants Dan Lacroix gone, keep in mind that and Boucher have a history together.

- Jodoin - if they were to fire Therrien (and I highly doubt they're close to that yet) and want to wait until the offseason to have more options for interviews, he could be a passable interim guy without taking any of the other coaches out of their roles.

The trouble with interim coaches is that they often amount to throwing in the towel on a season; players have little motivation to invest in pleasing the coach when they know he's only temporary. Or maybe the Cunneyworth experience just traumatized me.

The trouble with interim coaches is that they often amount to throwing in the towel on a season; players have little motivation to invest in pleasing the coach when they know he's only temporary. Or maybe the Cunneyworth experience just traumatized me.

It's always a risk. But the towel may be thrown in by then anyways; I don't think they make a coaching change until at least one trade of note is completed and Price returns. That's probably a month away at least, perhaps longer. If their January is like December, they may be too far out of it anyways if they do make the change in which case the no-clout temporary fill-in isn't as much of a concern.

This happened once in Therrien's career before. The Penguins fell apart with Gonchar, got him back and they fired him. Penguins with Gonchar won the Cup with the new coach.

Sounds like a good formula to replicate ;)

Sorry, but I think the team is still based in Quebec, so speaking broken French wont cut it. But as far as Oates as a coach...I don't have a clue if he would work?

The French language requirement is a settled fact. And for some reason, the idea that we might hire the best guy, and that he might then learn French - say, by intensive off-season training - seems to be beyond the sphere of comprehension of both media and hockey people. So, we need someone who can passably speak the language as of now. Of course this rules out 90% of qualified candidates.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I think the team is still based in Quebec, so speaking broken French wont cut it. But as far as Oates as a coach...I don't have a clue if he would work?

The guy who tried to put Ovechkin on the right wing? Yeah, no thanks. He'd probably try to turn Subban into a forward.

As my friend Guy Carbonneau once said. "if you win the cup the fans won't care if you can only speak Chinese".

Yeah? So what about Al Mcniel the only guy in history to win a cup and get "promoted" to the AHL.