When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

So Therrien only going to game 6 of finals isn't good enough?

let me fix that for you, "So Le Genius Isn't good enough" there that looks so much better. :hyper:

Therrien is nowhere near as bad a coach as the narrative has suggested.

No I think he is that bad, Sorry.

let me fix that for you, "So Le Genius Isn't good enough" there that looks so much better. :hyper:

No I think he is that bad, Sorry.

you realize the likely candidates this summer will be Crawford, Boucher, and Vincent right? how much better are they?

• Upvote 1

Why bother?

(it boggles the mind how crazy it is for language requirement...unique in the world of sports.)

Well except for FC Barcelona, who have been remarkably successful despite their Catalan language requirement for coaches.

you realize the likely candidates this summer will be Crawford, Boucher, and Vincent right? how much better are they?

Are you sure about that? What if AV comes available?

Guest Stogey24

Why dont (didn't) Montreal soccer, football or baseball teams need a French speaking coach also?

I think it's the history of the Habs, but that is a good point

Well except for FC Barcelona, who have been remarkably successful despite their Catalan language requirement for coaches.

Along with my man Xavi

Frankie Gagnon had a good explanation of the French issue, he said out in the boonies many of the people have poor English skills.

Will those people in the boonies being talking to the coach?

I'm pretty sure those people in the boonies were much happier winning with Blake and bowman than losing with le genius.

Along with my man Xavi

Frankie Gagnon had a good explanation of the French issue, he said out in the boonies many of the people have poor English skills.

Look, this is a futile argument. The coach in Montreal now has to speak French (I believe it was the Bob Berry debacle that settled this). I regret it - but even more than that, I regret that this act of learning French has somehow become unthinkable, such that unilingual coaches are ruled out of court on the assumption that they can never learn a new language.

The argument that Vigneault is no good because he's 'recycled' is, to put it simply, just plain stupid. He was a good coach in the 1990s and he's an even better coach now. That's all that matters.

Crawford is also a good coach.

The argument that such coaches are 'no better than Therrien' may (or may not) be true, but this is not an argument for keeping Therrien. Even good coaches go stale after a while, and sometimes a team just needs a change, a new start. Most coaches who get fired are actually good coaches who just ran out of credit in a particular place and with a particular group of players.

• Upvote 1

Yes lets keep recyclng Habs coaches. How about MT stays and the team gets their F*cking shit together.

How about MT goes and a new coach gets this teams shite together?

The problem is in Montreal is its a problem if you don't speak French. When you do try and learn French you get ridicules, for not speaking proper French like a quebecer (i.e. Sydney crosby). I find that pretty comical since most people I know from France ridicule quebecers for their french.

The idiotic French media m@raises similar issues about complaining about not having enough French players. When the team adds a French player, the media clowns complain that the player isn't a real quebecois francophone (i.e pouliout). I dont see much difference in the thinking of guys like rejean tremblay and nazi pure blood/master race mentality.

Look, this is a futile argument. The coach in Montreal now has to speak French (I believe it was the Bob Berry debacle that settled this). I regret it - but even more than that, I regret that this act of learning French has somehow become unthinkable, such that unilingual coaches are ruled out of court on the assumption that they can never learn a new language.

The argument that Vigneault is no good because he's 'recycled' is, to put it simply, just plain stupid. He was a good coach in the 1990s and he's an even better coach now. That's all that matters.

Crawford is also a good coach.

The argument that such coaches are 'no better than Therrien' may (or may not) be true, but this is not an argument for keeping Therrien. Even good coaches go stale after a while, and sometimes a team just needs a change, a new start. Most coaches who get fired are actually good coaches who just ran out of credit in a particular place and with a particular group of players.

The French coach problem was all Cunnyworth. If there was a defacto best available coach with Stanley Cup experience he'd be accepted by the media. Basically the message was if you're going to make an unqualified man the coach, at least make him french. Molson mandated a french coach but if Therrien was fired and Babcock wanted to come here, he would have come here. Jim Nill was approached to be our GM and he turned us down.

That's the real argument they make in Quebec. If you're not going to find the best for the job, find someone from Quebec. I haven't heard a situation like Crosby in years. The media has been very nice to Pacioretty and Subban for when they try to speak French. All they want is to feel like their biggest entertainment entity isn't ignoring them for the English audience. When they get ignored, they lash out. Cunnyworth was Gauthier trying to put the heat on the coach and off himself. The reaction was expected but it didn't save his job.

• Upvote 1

Will those people in the boonies being talking to the coach?

I'm pretty sure those people in the boonies were much happier winning with Blake and bowman than losing with le genius.

Blake and Bowman both spoke french.

Commandant I think we need a coach that is born in Ont. like Blake and Bowman and maybe we can win a cup

Bowman was born in Verdun, Quebec.

of course we can always put Gainey, or Jacques Martin... actual Ontario boys back behind the bench.

Bowman was born in Verdun, Quebec.

of course we can always put Gainey, or Jacques Martin... actual Ontario boys back behind the bench.

Gainey, who LEARNED to speak French as part of his commitment to Montreal.

Unthinkable for anglo coaches today, apparently.

Gainey, who LEARNED to speak French as part of his commitment to Montreal.

Unthinkable for anglo coaches today, apparently.

I think in this day and age, the time demands on an NHL head coach are far greater than those on a player back in Gainey's day. I think the feeling is that coaches have better things to do in the precious few moments of free time that they get than learning French to appease the idiotic Quebec media. It's a hell of a big commitment of time to pick up a skill that they likely feel will be useless after they are fired, as all coaches eventually are. Time invested studying vs. time you'd actually make use of your newfound language...the equation just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.