When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

As made clear many times before, the language issue became policy due to the fact our worst NHL season possibly ever came with a coach who didn't speak French, never tried to speak French, sucked as a coach and was probably put in the head coaching gig to deflect the heat coming at the GM.

Had Cunnyworth never became our coach, it wouldn't be team policy. It's going to be team policy until a coach can come in with a proven track record, make an effort to learn the language and win a Stanley Cup. In other words, say Joel Quenneville became available. If Montreal hired him, there would be complaining due to not following Molson's promise about a French coach, followed by Quenneville making a statement in French to the press, followed by Q hiring a prominent French assistant coach to do a lot of the media and then the team having to win the Cup.

Is it a stupid issue? In a lot of ways yes. Is it also dumb for young head coaches trying to get NHL gigs to not learn a little French (plus other languages) so they can open up the possibility for 30 jobs in the league? Yes. Is it an issue that has to go away with a very qualified candidate, which was the real issue in the first place? Yes. But until that scenario happens, this is the situation. Don't like it? Your only other option is to find a new team until the rule is lifted. That's up to you.

Just for the record, Cunneyworth was only an intern coach who come into replace Martin after the season had already gone South. He was put in a no win situation and was despised by the media before he got there. He would have been wiser to just say no and let the Canadiens twist in the wind.

This thread is on page 60, maybe we can keep all the therrien complaints here and not have them in all the other active threads too.

Its all therrien bashing all the time, which is great, i get it, a bunch of you hate the guy (and I'm not singling out any one person, its more than that).

But lets talk about draft choices and off-season moves, and stuff, without all the therrien stuff infecting it?

just my two cents... you don't have to agree with me, i have no real power here.

I agree with you. Generally do.

Just for the record, Cunneyworth was only an intern coach who come into replace Martin after the season had already gone South. He was put in a no win situation and was despised by the media before he got there. He would have been wiser to just say no and let the Canadiens twist in the wind.

now that is true. :halm:

After repeating yourself 1,000 times over past 4 years, got nothing better than that? Time to move on and find another dead horse to beat isn't it?

After repeating yourself 1,000 times over past 4 years, got nothing better than that? Time to move on and find another dead horse to beat isn't it?

Who exactly are you talking to?

Who exactly are you talking to?

Those who have this thread at Page 61 and of course the one who started this in Nov 2013.

But, it does seem the "must fire" Therrien crowd have quieted down and really hasn't been as "excited" as I expected when announced he would return.

Those who have this thread at Page 61 and of course the one who started this in Nov 2013.

But, it does seem the "must fire" Therrien crowd have quieted down and really hasn't been as "excited" as I expected when announced he would return.

Ok so you are attacking me. Doesn't 61 pages tell you there was a lot of people unhappy with uncle Michele? I am not the the only one and I have very valid reasons for my position. If I have repeated myself 1000 times maybe you just don't get it. Maybe you should look at why you are so hung up on this guy. I think he is a lousy coach. No I don't care how many games Carey price saved his ass. if you persist Brian will shut this thread down, which I could care less about really. It is going to happen.

Ok so you are attacking me. Doesn't 61 pages tell you there was a lot of people unhappy with uncle Michele? I am not the the only one and I have very valid reasons for my position. If I have repeated myself 1000 times maybe you just don't get it. Maybe you should look at why you are so hung up on this guy. I think he is a lousy coach. No I don't care how many games Carey price saved his ass. if you persist Brian will shut this thread down, which I could care less about really. It is going to happen.

sorry, should of put smiley face or two, no attack

pat yourself on the back for quite a popular thread :thumbs_up:

sorry, should of put smiley face or two, no attack

pat yourself on the back for quite a popular thread :thumbs_up:

Hey man I really like to talk (and bug you) to you. I do not want any problem with you (other than our normal back and forth) at all. We have had some great discussions over the years and I really appreciate your view point. You are the MT Man. Me? not so much. And I thought this thread died a long time ago. Hey it is kinda cool that it didn't.

• Upvote 2

And this is in the fire Le Genius because?

I posted it here by mistake, forgot that there actually were different threads, since you post about firing Therrien in EVERY thread...

Fixed it for you...

Long may Therrien reign as Habs coach!

I posted it here by mistake, forgot that there actually were different threads, since you post about firing Therrien in EVERY thread...

Fixed it for you...

Long may Therrien reign as Habs coach!

:) Myself personally just want a Cup.

just read this:

I thought for a minute they were talking about Montreal :)

For at least this year and last year they were a team that was massively overrated because their goalie killed it for them. The King has hidden horrible defensive play, regressive, terrible personnel decisions and one of the worst coached/defensive teams in hockey from the world with his amazing play.

So let me ask the question do we keep MT with his system that no longer works or get rid of PK who makes mistakes and may cause problems in the dressing room or get rid of JJD who gave us another great year of power plays system. I really hope CP does not start the year so Mr. Molson can see what we all see and cleans his house up. Sorry to say but its time to move on to bad for us and for DON I think in 12 months from now the new question will be how is MT still here (we will have to thank CP for that )

One of the biggest indictments regarding Sutter was by one of his former players, Rhett Warrener (who is now on the fan960 in Calgary). When the Kings went down 2-0, Warrener was on the radio saying he doesn't see the Kings coming back. He said their goaltending isn't what it was and they need to make serious adjustments to their system, but that's not Darryl. He said Darryl is a guy who's going to say play harder boys, but he is not the guy who can make the system changes they need. The other radio guy said that's what they have Stevens for - to work the X's and O's. And Warrener said, in this situation, the message the players are going to get is go play harder, there won't be any other changes because that's not who Darryl is.

It struck me than, that he may as well have been talking about MT. Only difference is, the other coaches are also MB cronies that he grew up with. There is no system guys here. Both Sutter and MT have the same game plan that requires superhuman efforts by the goalie and the players playing harder. That's "da system". the big difference is that the Kings USED to be a heavier team with even their average sized guys like brown playing a punishing physical game. Brown is a shell of himself and quick has been an average goalie.

just read this:

I thought for a minute they were talking about Montreal :)

For at least this year and last year they were a team that was massively overrated because their goalie killed it for them. The King has hidden horrible defensive play, regressive, terrible personnel decisions and one of the worst coached/defensive teams in hockey from the world with his amazing play.

You two both realize that "The King" referred to Henrik Lundqvist and the team being referred to was the New York Rangers, not the LA Kings right?

I wondered if everyone would figure that out, but yes it was a Rangers blogger I quoted. :)

So let me ask the question do we keep MT with his system that no longer works or get rid of PK who makes mistakes and may cause problems in the dressing room or get rid of JJD who gave us another great year of power plays system. I really hope CP does not start the year so Mr. Molson can see what we all see and cleans his house up. Sorry to say but its time to move on to bad for us and for DON I think in 12 months from now the new question will be how is MT still here (we will have to thank CP for that )

Nice of Carey, to pay it forward like that and make Therrien more $$. He sure seems like a good fellow dosent he, but sounds like you would rather see him out hurt and not playing...seemingly just out of spite.

No Don I would like to see a cup but I don't see that happening under MT he may be a good coach just not hear and now and if buy chance we win a cup next year it won't be because of him it will fall mainly on CP. I like the guy but its time to go bring on our next best French coach ( not the best coach) I think it will be a long time before we see the cup again now that's to bad for hockey and Montreal

P.S. nice pic.

Edited by kickass528

No Don I would like to see a cup but I don't see that happening under MT he may be a good coach just not hear and now and if buy chance we win a cup next year it won't be because of him it will fall mainly on CP. I like the guy but its time to go bring on our next best French coach ( not the best coach) I think it will be a long time before we see the cup again now that's to bad for hockey and Montreal

P.S. nice pic.

Fair enough, am not as pessimistic.

But as we saw with teams like Rangers, Kings and Hawks, who went 'all-in' for the cup again this year, had (most will agree) good coaching and decent rosters, but just wasn't enough.

Now Hawks with their 2 $10m+ forwards will need to reshuffle roster once again due to cap, Rangers have bunch overpaid vets, no draft picks, a goalie 1 year away from old-timer softball age and Kings are just not that good anymore it seems.

Year 5 under Bergevin management should be interesting and am more glad Mgmt can focus on simply bolstering roster and not be searching for new coaching staff.

Guest Stogey24

The King's aren't good anymore? That's new to me.

Those 3 teams you mentioned all acquired players or traded picks because they were in their window of opportunity to win. Ya, it doesn't look great losing out in the first round for those 3 teams, but look prior to this year. They have all won a cup or come inches to doing so in recent years.

Chicago-2010 cup winner

L.A-2012 cup winner

Chicago-2013 winner

L.A-2014 winner

Chicago-2015 winner

The King's aren't good anymore? That's new to me.

Those 3 teams you mentioned all acquired players or traded picks because they were in their window of opportunity to win. Ya, it doesn't look great losing out in the first round for those 3 teams, but look prior to this year. They have all won a cup or come inches to doing so in recent years.

Chicago-2010 cup winner

L.A-2012 cup winner

Chicago-2013 winner

L.A-2014 winner

Chicago-2015 winner

Kings missed playoffs last year and won 1 game in playoffs this year, not a team on the rise that is for sure.