When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Cunneyworth was a terrible coach who should have never been given a chance. Commandant favourite Don Lever would have been better.

He's the worst coach in Habs modern history.

he was an assistant filling in till the end of a another bad season............. nothing more

• Upvote 1

yep, it wasn't as if we searched the 4 corners of the globe and came up with randy stinkin cunneyworth

The poor guy got thrown into a bad situation, then was thrown under the bus by the owner. He toughed it out kept his mouth shut and soldiered on. Now he is the worst coach in Hab's history. Please MOLG you are making Mario Tremblay smile, he now thinks he was only the 2nd worst coach in history. I don't think we have any idea what kind of coach he was in the few games he coached.

The poor guy got thrown into a bad situation, then was thrown under the bus by the owner. He toughed it out kept his mouth shut and soldiered on. Now he is the worst coach in Hab's history. Please MOLG you are making Mario Tremblay smile, he now thinks he was only the 2nd worst coach in history. I don't think we have any idea what kind of coach he was in the few games he coached.

Habs Rule, thank you for that.

MoLG, please man!

How ever many games Cunneyworth coached, he was composed and professional, albeit maybe not sensational by any stretch.

However many games it was, it wasn't enough to fade the stain of what Mario F'n Tremblay brought the Habs organization...

We don't ever need to go there again.... :angry2:

• Upvote 1

Habs Rule, thank you for that.

MoLG, please man!

How ever many games Cunneyworth coached, he was composed and professional, albeit maybe not sensational by any stretch.

However many games it was, it wasn't enough to fade the stain of what Mario F'n Tremblay brought the Habs organization...

We don't ever need to go there again.... :angry2:

thats so true.

Randy handled himself well, and took the high road with his comments.

Goutier (Don Notts look alike) was the idiot through that whole fiasco

Did he even get to coach one game, before Molson pulled rug out from under him?

Didn't like crap he took riding out year cause team had key injures, unusual A-coach firing and (although I loved it) odd ejection of Cammalleri mid-game, bit cheesy and uncalled for and really just gong show, but got a top 3 pick and cleaned house a bit for more picks (which would of not happened if were fighting for final playoff spot).

Did he even get to coach one game, before Molson pulled rug out from under him?

Didn't like crap he took riding out year cause team had key injures, unusual A-coach firing and (although I loved it) odd ejection of Cammalleri mid-game, bit cheesy and uncalled for and really just gong show, but got a top 3 pick and cleaned house a bit for more picks (which would of not happened if were fighting for final playoff spot).

Yes, nobody liked the way management treated and mishandled Cunneyworth. It put the capital D in Disfunction of that time. Also ushered in big time change upstairs and paved the way for MB. All good. Hope things work out well for Cunneyworths career, i know it was well noticed around the league how he was the consummate professional through it all.

• Upvote 1

Modern history. Alfred Lepine is the worst coach in Habs history.

Tremblay still maintained a .525 winning percentage as Habs coach. If we talk about the impact he had on the team with player flight? Sure, Tremblay was the worst coach in modern history by a country mile. But just based on coaching ability and what he did with the team? Mario Tremblay was a better head coach than Randy Cunnyworth. Cunnyworth had 23 losses in 50 games. In Tremblay's two seasons behind the bench he lost 27 games in 77 and 36 in 82. Even with 36 losses in 96-97 the Habs still made the playoffs.

Lots of people like to make excuses about Cunnyworth as a coach because of the whole Anglophone thing but his actual coaching was terrible. He was the Pierre McGuire redux. Cunnyworth was a stat nerd who would talk up his gameplans but never delivered, similar to how Pierre McGuire was the boy genius in Pittsburgh who coached the Hartford Whalers into the dirt. Go back to the games and see how even with a team with no confidence, Cunnyworth was making dumb decision after dumb decision. He was a reverse Carbonneau. Instead of having no system, Cunnyworth tried to put a system on top of a system and just confused the players.

There's a reason why Cunnyworth is looked upon as a terrible coach who couldn't get a job after while Alain Vigneault, who had one of the worst records in Habs coaching history, was still looked as a young and upcoming head coach. Everyone knew Vigneault had no team to play with. Same wasn't with Cunnyworth. Everyone knew the Habs would be better next coach they got. Guess what? Everyone was right.

Tremblay still maintained a .525 winning percentage as Habs coach. If we talk about the impact he had on the team with player flight? Sure, Tremblay was the worst coach in modern history by a country mile. But just based on coaching ability and what he did with the team? Mario Tremblay was a better head coach than Randy Cunnyworth. Cunnyworth had 23 losses in 50 games. In Tremblay's two seasons behind the bench he lost 27 games in 77 and 36 in 82. Even with 36 losses in 96-97 the Habs still made the playoffs.

Lots of people like to make excuses about Cunnyworth as a coach because of the whole Anglophone thing but his actual coaching was terrible. He was the Pierre McGuire redux. Cunnyworth was a stat nerd who would talk up his gameplans but never delivered, similar to how Pierre McGuire was the boy genius in Pittsburgh who coached the Hartford Whalers into the dirt. Go back to the games and see how even with a team with no confidence, Cunnyworth was making dumb decision after dumb decision. He was a reverse Carbonneau. Instead of having no system, Cunnyworth tried to put a system on top of a system and just confused the players.

There's a reason why Cunnyworth is looked upon as a terrible coach who couldn't get a job after while Alain Vigneault, who had one of the worst records in Habs coaching history, was still looked as a young and upcoming head coach. Everyone knew Vigneault had no team to play with. Same wasn't with Cunnyworth. Everyone knew the Habs would be better next coach they got. Guess what? Everyone was right.

I never said cunneyworth was a good coach, I just don't think 50 games with that team, was enough to say he is the worst coach in history. Tremblay had a team to work with, he couldn't work with Patrick Roy and cost us 10 years minimum of grief. In his short time with us Cunneyworth had no management support, no team support, and was just a placeholder. As to the systems I have no idea, yo must be a lot closer to the team than I am. I do believe that when he took over he said that JM's system was just fine and he wasn't changing it. But who knows I don't get to talk to the gm's in the league to get their opinion of RC as a coach.

Mario Tremblay had a good record because had a great lineup to work with. He than fought with his superstar goalie and drove his captain to request a trade. That Habs lineup was a damn good lineup that the three stooges blew up and sent the franchise into leaf like levels.

And since we are talking about guys who never get coaching job interviews, after Montreal the only guy who would hire terrible tremblay was his buddy Jacques Lemaire, trying to help get back to the coaching ranks.

And since we are talking about guys who never get coaching job interviews, after Montreal the only guy who would hire terrible tremblay was his buddy Jacques Lemaire, trying to help get back to the coaching ranks.

Trembly sucked big time.

but since you mention there was only one guy that would hire Trembly after getting canned..................same statement holds true for the habs current coach. MT went several years without a single offer..................and nobody but nobody believes he would have gotten the job had the habs dropped the bilingual policy.

Trembly sucked big time.

but since you mention there was only one guy that would hire Trembly after getting canned..................same statement holds true for the habs current coach. MT went several years without a single offer..................and nobody but nobody believes he would have gotten the job had the habs dropped the bilingual policy.

Who would they have hired then?

Montreal tried to get a coach at a pretty terrible time.

Who would they have hired then?

Montreal tried to get a coach at a pretty terrible time.

You are correct Sir. We have a stupid "french speaking coach rule, along with (at the time) a veritable dearth of coaches qualified to coach the Habs"

Hence we get Le Genius, at least we haven't seen that mustard jacket. It was actually baby shit yellow but I was trying to be nice. Changed my mind.

Hartley and Crow were really the only other options.

The path was cleared for Bergevin to hire Therrien once Bob Hartley withdrew from the race and was named head coach of the Calgary Flames last week. Quote from toronto sun at the time. Do you think he was first choice?

Who started this foolish thread!

I feel like that crying Tyrell Owens when media were too critical of Romo.

"It is really unfair..... :cry_smile:he is my teams coach.... :cry_smile:the coach.... :cry_smile:if you guys keep picking on him man.... :cry_smile: its unfair!"

The path was cleared for Bergevin to hire Therrien once Bob Hartley withdrew from the race and was named head coach of the Calgary Flames last week. Quote from toronto sun at the time. Do you think he was first choice?

Bergevin never really inquired outside of available coaches. I think he wanted to see what Therrien could do after two seasons and had Gallant as a potential back-up. Therrien took the team to the top of their division and then an Eastern Conference final birth. Both are strong finishes for a team to have. If Montreal missed the playoffs last season or were bounced by the Lightning, we'd probably have Gallant or Guy Boucher behind the bench right now.

From what I remember, he beat out Marc Crawford, who stays unemployed after missing out on a few coaching gigs. Crawford has a similar resume to Hartley. Both are former Cup winners in Colorado who should have won more than just a single Cup with the teams in Colorado they had. Both had to deal with a tough Western Conference but still didn't win like they should have. They had similar resumes.

It should be noted that Bob Hartley said he chose the Flames over the Habs because he felt the Flames in 2012-2013 had a better shot at the playoffs. That's the guy who would have been coaching the Habs. I think we dodged a bullet regardless of how well the Flames are currently doing (which has more to do with the GM/President than Hartley. Sound familiar?)

I wanted Roy. But seriously, as much as I hear about the "shallow talent pool due to bilingualism" nobody has really come up with a good available coach at the time aside from Ted Nolan. You know, the guy who had to suffer racist slurs when coaching against a QMJHL team. I kinda doubt he wanted anything to do with playing in Quebec after that for 41 games a season.

"Bergevin never really inquired outside of available coaches. I think he wanted to see what Therrien could do after two seasons and had Gallant as a potential back-up"

And the problem with that would be:

Gallant, who has NHL experience as coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, has guided the Saint John Sea Dogs to consecutive Memorial Cup appearances, winning the junior championship in 2011.

He has coached top Canadiens prospect Nathan Beaulieu for three years.

Name notwithstanding, the native of Summerside, P.E.I. does not speak French.

But seriously, as much as I hear about the "shallow talent pool due to bilingualism" nobody has really come up with a good available coach at the time aside from Ted Nolan.does not speak French.

There were very few qualified coaches at that time, once you add must speak french by order of the owner, it gets to be a lot less.

There were very few qualified coaches at that time, once you add must speak french by order of the owner, it gets to be a lot less.

Who was available that only spoke English that would have been better than Michel Therrien?

Nobody ever comes up with a response to this, and the best response I heard at the time was Brent Sutter.

If Brent Sutter is your trump card? You're pretty much SOL.

There were some young coaches with zero experience out there that might have been good choices but nobody that had Therrien's resume, nor did they have Therrien's comfort in Montreal.

Therrien was never the ideal choice but he was the best available choice. Aside from not giving Larry Robinson the assistant coach position, I haven't seen an iota of proof that the choosing of Michel Therrien meant better candidates were excluded or ignored.

(Also, Gerard Gallant interviewed for the head coach position, so if he doesn't speak French, Bergevin still would have made him head coach if he liked him best.)

Who was available that only spoke English that would have been better than Michel Therrien?

Nobody ever comes up with a response to this, and the best response I heard at the time was Brent Sutter.

If Brent Sutter is your trump card? You're pretty much SOL.

There were some young coaches with zero experience out there that might have been good choices but nobody that had Therrien's resume, nor did they have Therrien's comfort in Montreal.

Therrien was never the ideal choice but he was the best available choice. Aside from not giving Larry Robinson the assistant coach position, I haven't seen an iota of proof that the choosing of Michel Therrien meant better candidates were excluded or ignored.

(Also, Gerard Gallant interviewed for the head coach position, so if he doesn't speak French, Bergevin still would have made him head coach if he liked him best.)

I agree with what you are saying mostly, it was really a crappy time for the habs to be looking for a coach. There were very few to be had. The french only does not help. As to Gallant, Mr Molson if you recall promised the fans that the coach would speak french. There was no if's ands or buts to his statement. So no I don't think he was an option for MB.