When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Why did Babcock coach Olympic team then? I really know SFA about who is a good or not good coach.

Because you vcan only have one head coach.Like one captain, one no 1 goalie....does not mean others are not worthy. Believe its referred to as "Welcome to he All Stars" Hitchcock was on board for the 2002 gold win. Quinn was head coach, the assistants had specialties. Hitch was back as usual with Babcock. In the 2002 Gold Win Documentary Hitch states, his specialty was looking at the oppositions game, finding its weakness, in order to exploit those weaknesses. Put them in the game plan, adjust to different team each night. Hitch enjoys this challenge at NHL play off time as well.

If you "dont know SFA about who is and who is not a good coach" watch the 2002 canada gold documentary, or read "Behind The Bench" by Dick Irvin....... Bill Parcells, listen to retired players ....it aint exactly rocket science.

Boy things sure get touchy around here when the boys are losing. Bad feelings in a great many posts. Wow guys we are in this together, we may not agree but no point in attacking each other.

I said I don't know who the heck is a good/bad coach and simply bemused why Babcock (who got roasted by 99% of HabFans last Feb) was chosen over him.

LIke e-mails, posts can be misinterpreted way too easy, or be very poorly worded

Therrien for Senate seat as soon as retires?

I said I don't know who the heck is a good/bad coach and simply bemused why Babcock (who got roasted by 99% of HabFans last Feb) was chosen over him.

LIke e-mails, posts can be misinterpreted way too easy, or be very poorly worded

Therrien for Senate seat as soon as retires?

I would put him in the senate right now. All in favour? :lol:

Okay, so let's have some fun.

Therrien was fired from Pittsburgh for a 27-25-5 record after a Stanley Cup finals appearance.

In other words, Montreal's record for the next 30 games would have to be 10-17-3 or worse to replicate.

Say it happens.

Who replaces him?

Do you see when Guy Boucher can leave SC Bern?

Do you promote Clement Jodoin? Maybe even Sylvain Levebvre?

Do you swipe a successful coach in the Q like Mario Durocher?

Is there someone in the AHL you swipe?

Do you look at your free agents like Guy Carbonneau or Marc Crawford?

Maybe you're looking at this and angry I'm only naming billingual/francophone examples. Okay. Who is an English speaking, no French head coach out there that could swoop in and give us a better performance than Michel Therrien?

If you hate having to decide this in the middle of the season, then tell me who do you go with at the end of the season? Is Guy Boucher still your only good bet?

Okay, so let's have some fun.

Therrien was fired from Pittsburgh for a 27-25-5 record after a Stanley Cup finals appearance.

In other words, Montreal's record for the next 30 games would have to be 10-17-3 or worse to replicate.

Say it happens.

Who replaces him?

Do you see when Guy Boucher can leave SC Bern?

Do you promote Clement Jodoin? Maybe even Sylvain Levebvre?

Do you swipe a successful coach in the Q like Mario Durocher?

Is there someone in the AHL you swipe?

Do you look at your free agents like Guy Carbonneau or Marc Crawford?

Maybe you're looking at this and angry I'm only naming billingual/francophone examples. Okay. Who is an English speaking, no French head coach out there that could swoop in and give us a better performance than Michel Therrien?

If you hate having to decide this in the middle of the season, then tell me who do you go with at the end of the season? Is Guy Boucher still your only good bet?

I don't know who replaces him, that is what we hired MB for. It is his job to give this team the best possible chance to win the cup. That means having the best coach he can hire. I do not know what candidates there are out there, he should know. Even if Le Genius is the best coach we can get right now does not make him a good coach. We would love to have sydney crosby but he is not available, so we make do with what we have and try to get better players. Same for the coach. Your statements only prove what I have said from the start. MT is the coach because we had no one else to hire. That doesn't mean that that situation can't change.

Organizational policy is that the coach must speak French. So it's perfectly valid to point out that, if you want The Genius fired (so that they can hire some other guy you'll want fired after the Habs lost two straight games), you should have a French-speaking upgrade in mind.

I don't know who replaces him, that is what we hired MB for. It is his job to give this team the best possible chance to win the cup. That means having the best coach he can hire. I do not know what candidates there are out there, he should know. Even if Le Genius is the best coach we can get right now does not make him a good coach. We would love to have sydney crosby but he is not available, so we make do with what we have and try to get better players. Same for the coach. Your statements only prove what I have said from the start. MT is the coach because we had no one else to hire. That doesn't mean that that situation can't change.

applause !

Before Pat Burns was hired i has never heard of him. Before Julien was hired i had never heard of him. Bylsma never heard of him till pitt hired him. Current coaches I had never heard of before they got the job they are in now........off the top of my head.....Lightening coach, never heard of him, Devils coach, Islanders , Sharks, Jackets Canucks.........MB's job to find the best candidate.................his hands are tied with the french thing..............thats how the habs ended up with Therrien.

As was stated perfectly by HR,

because no one else that us fans are aware of was available = Therriens the best man for the job. NOT SO

Just a thought, but is the French thing with regards to the coach more a guideline when people are bitching? If we have a winning team that is clearly getting better and better every year, can MB go out and prise high calibre coach even if he speaks Swahili and makes the Habs better? Or does the Media still have a veto?

My guess is that the French population would prefer the Habs running for a Cup yearly over a French coach. Just saying. I'm of the impression that the French thing is a media construct because: selling papers.

Just a thought, but is the French thing with regards to the coach more a guideline when people are bitching? If we have a winning team that is clearly getting better and better every year, can MB go out and prise high calibre coach even if he speaks Swahili and makes the Habs better? Or does the Media still have a veto?

My guess is that the French population would prefer the Habs running for a Cup yearly over a French coach. Just saying. I'm of the impression that the French thing is a media construct because: selling papers.

Yeah, but this is also the same province that has been engaging in a slow burn ethnic cleanse of all visible English via numerous political bills. Not to mention that the province would rather alienate multiple business (jobs, revenue streams) than tolerate English.

If MB hires an anglo coach AND it doesn't work out - he's fired instantly and will have burnt many bridges in the process. It'll be a watershed moment if it ever happens.

Personally, I hope MB does it and he wins big. We should be hiring the best man available and then politely asking said person to learn French.

Organizational policy is that the coach must speak French. So it's perfectly valid to point out that, if you want The Genius fired (so that they can hire some other guy you'll want fired after the Habs lost two straight games), you should have a French-speaking upgrade in mind.

Just to clarify CC I have by and large supported Mgt over the years. MT I have been luke warm about from the beginning. I started this thread over a year ago, amazingly it is still going. When I started it, we could have fired him. I know we can't fire him now, because he has new contract and had good results.

I think those results are skewed and therefore I do not support him. I simply don't think he is a good coach, which time will tell. There are some who say the only thing that counts is results, i can't argue with that nor do I attempt to. I simply hope we can upgrade at Coach in the future, as I hope we can upgrade the players we have. (well some of them anyways). Cause if we ain't winning the cup I am not happy. :)

We have already seen what happens if they hire even an "interim coach" who can't speak french. Utter calamity ensued. However I think it was my friend Mr Carboneau who said, the fans only care about winning, they don't care if the coach speaks chinese. So I would guess that, yup media thingy. Or as john lennon put it, "look out Ringo it's an evil thingy" :)

The French policy is here to stay. C'est la vie, unfortunately.

As I've said before, my only hope is that we can at least tweak it to include the possibility of hiring a coach who is willing to learn French as part of the job description. Even that is a long shot.

Yeah, but this is also the same province that has been engaging in a slow burn ethnic cleanse of all visible English via numerous political bills. Not to mention that the province would rather alienate multiple business (jobs, revenue streams) than tolerate English.

If MB hires an anglo coach AND it doesn't work out - he's fired instantly and will have burnt many bridges in the process. It'll be a watershed moment if it ever happens.

Personally, I hope MB does it and he wins big. We should be hiring the best man available and then politely asking said person to learn French.

amen to that

If the Habs landed Babcock only the fringe would complain.

Babcock is from McGill. Contrary to tiresome Quebec nationalist propaganda about McGill as some bastion of pipe-smoking, Union Jack-waving Blokes, he may have some words of French in the mental toolkit somewhere. Failing that, he may be amenable to making an effort.

Y'know, there was a time when Montreal Canadiens players actually tried to learn French and speak it in public. Bob Gainey and Ken Dryden are two excellent examples. To them, it was simply part and parcel of being members of the community that they make an effort to speak the majority language; they may even have welcomed it as an opportunity to broaden their horizons. Somewhere along the way, this attitude dropped from the radar. I love Carey Price, but geez, he's lived in Montreal for what, 7-8 years now? - it would kill him to say a few words of French? I am anything but a militant francophone nationalist on this front, but it IS worth pointing out that there seems to have been a net decline in the level of basic courtesy among Montreal Canadiens hockey players when it comes to making any effort to speak the language of most of their devoted fans. That it seems to be inconceivable that a coach would learn some French appears to be a side-effect of this general decline.

I think Habs players and management that don't learn French are idiots. I'll straight up say it. Idiots. If someone has a learning disability that's one thing but if you just don't want to bother? You're an idiot.

I never learned French and I hate myself for it. I blame the Ontario education system first and foremost (I had 90s in grade school and high school only to realize I learned nothing) and the fact you only learn proper French in Ontario if you go into a French immersion school. That said I still could have made a better effort and never did. I've watched 100s of hours of Habs games on RDS and SRC and nope, can't put more than a shoddy sentence together.

If I played for Montreal, or Quebec and wanted to be there long term? You damn right I would have learned the language. Kirk Muller kills me. Kirk Muller should have been our next head coach but the guy won a Cup in Montreal, came back to coach and still couldn't speak a word of it? Come on man.

That said, there's another side of the story we don't hear much. It was mentioned a bit in Ken Dryden's book and that's when Anglophone players try to learn, they sometimes get mocked for it by the media. Dryden was mocked. Sidney Crosby was mocked (Crosby used to try doing interviews in French until an interviewer kept interrupting him on it so he stopped). I wonder how many guys played in Montreal, tried to learn French and just stopped. The whole controversy on Koivu was that he knew French and never used it in interviews. It's probably because he saw how the media reacts when someone is a beginner to the language.

There's a flip side to it of course: I think that French Canadian player who wrote a book complaining about how he was judged not speaking English was an idiot too. Learn the language your teammates are going to speak. If I had to move to Japan, I'm going to try and learn Japanese. If I had to move to Mexico, I'm going to learn Spanish. If I moved to Germany, I'm going to try and learn German. Why would you ever want to put yourself at a disadvantage?

That all said... do the Montreal Canadiens offer paying players and management for French immersion courses? Maybe bring a French teacher on the road? Pay for French language courses for players in Hamilton and Wheeling? Makes me wonder. I think it'd be an acceptable expense.

That all said... do the Montreal Canadiens offer paying players and management for French immersion courses? Maybe bring a French teacher on the road? Pay for French language courses for players in Hamilton and Wheeling? Makes me wonder. I think it'd be an acceptable expense.

They offer free lessons for those on the big club. We saw that in an episode of 24 CH last year. I doubt they would in Hamilton though.

Maybe they don't try because the idiots in the media ridicule them for not being able speak proper French.

Which is kinda funny because one of my old colleagues from France scoffed at quebecer French.

Babcock is from McGill. Contrary to tiresome Quebec nationalist propaganda about McGill as some bastion of pipe-smoking, Union Jack-waving Blokes, he may have some words of French in the mental toolkit somewhere. Failing that, he may be amenable to making an effort.

Y'know, there was a time when Montreal Canadiens players actually tried to learn French and speak it in public. Bob Gainey and Ken Dryden are two excellent examples. To them, it was simply part and parcel of being members of the community that they make an effort to speak the majority language; they may even have welcomed it as an opportunity to broaden their horizons. Somewhere along the way, this attitude dropped from the radar. I love Carey Price, but geez, he's lived in Montreal for what, 7-8 years now? - it would kill him to say a few words of French? I am anything but a militant francophone nationalist on this front, but it IS worth pointing out that there seems to have been a net decline in the level of basic courtesy among Montreal Canadiens hockey players when it comes to making any effort to speak the language of most of their devoted fans. That it seems to be inconceivable that a coach would learn some French appears to be a side-effect of this general decline.

I've been listening to Habs games on the French CBC radio since early 80's since that was the only way to follow the Habs. That said, I hated my grade 6 French teacher, so opted to not take French after that - something I regret to this day.

Word is koivu also knew French but didn't speak in public because of how media treated those that couldn't speak pure French. Kinda like the current Quebec policies against non-pure quebecers.

I think Habs players and management that don't learn French are idiots. I'll straight up say it. Idiots. If someone has a learning disability that's one thing but if you just don't want to bother? You're an idiot.

I never learned French and I hate myself for it. I blame the Ontario education system first and foremost (I had 90s in grade school and high school only to realize I learned nothing) and the fact you only learn proper French in Ontario if you go into a French immersion school. That said I still could have made a better effort and never did. I've watched 100s of hours of Habs games on RDS and SRC and nope, can't put more than a shoddy sentence together.

If I played for Montreal, or Quebec and wanted to be there long term? You damn right I would have learned the language. Kirk Muller kills me. Kirk Muller should have been our next head coach but the guy won a Cup in Montreal, came back to coach and still couldn't speak a word of it? Come on man.

That said, there's another side of the story we don't hear much. It was mentioned a bit in Ken Dryden's book and that's when Anglophone players try to learn, they sometimes get mocked for it by the media. Dryden was mocked. Sidney Crosby was mocked (Crosby used to try doing interviews in French until an interviewer kept interrupting him on it so he stopped). I wonder how many guys played in Montreal, tried to learn French and just stopped. The whole controversy on Koivu was that he knew French and never used it in interviews. It's probably because he saw how the media reacts when someone is a beginner to the language.

There's a flip side to it of course: I think that French Canadian player who wrote a book complaining about how he was judged not speaking English was an idiot too. Learn the language your teammates are going to speak. If I had to move to Japan, I'm going to try and learn Japanese. If I had to move to Mexico, I'm going to learn Spanish. If I moved to Germany, I'm going to try and learn German. Why would you ever want to put yourself at a disadvantage?