When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

If it's true that players who speak faltering French get mocked for it by the media, then the team ought to make a point of underscoring this the next time it comes up. Hockey players are proud people in the public eye. I don't blame them for not wanting to make themselves subjects of ridicule. The team should call out the language snobs on their BS, just like Gainey publicly called out the Brisebois-bashers. Doing so might turn the fan narrative around from "damned Habs who won't talk French" to "damned media goons that crap on good-faith efforts by players."

I moved to rural Quebec from Nova Scotia in my late teens, and while I did have some pre-exising French-language skills, I certainly made a lot of linguistic mistakes and was very clearly wrestling with this 'second language.' Many people were very tolerant and nice about it - I even ended up with a girlfriend who found it all charming - but there was very definitely a minority of people who were just appallingly rude (mocking my errors, treating me like I was stupid because I wasn't fully articulate, etc.). You'd like to think that Montrealers would be more cosmopolitan and sophisticated, and would have some appreciation that it can be hard to work in a second language...but maybe that ain't the case.

Yeah it is quite amazing the the criticism is quick if you don't speak french and the derision even faster if you try.

Not just Quebec, fro example many poke fun at the Markov or Emelin's of league who also struggle with goofy english language and many are simply amazed when a euro can pick up english and speak OK in short order, a la Scherbak.

Markov can speak much better English than i can Russian I know that much, but think is quite a universal take when someone struggles with a language and of course are always idiots every where who like to make themselves feel superior by putting down another.

And broken english by French has been played up as very comedic a la the French goalie in Slapshot braks me by playing up the accent;

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Slapshot+golaie+interview&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=57D12F1BC45EFA9DC4E757D12F1BC45EFA9DC4E7

and you got admit it is humerous bit, but maybe not as PC as some want to see these days.

Not just Quebec, fro example many poke fun at the Markov or Emelin's of league who also struggle with goofy english language and many are simply amazed when a euro can pick up english and speak OK in short order, a la Scherbak.

Markov can speak much better English than i can Russian I know that much, but think is quite a universal take when someone struggles with a language and of course are always idiots every where who like to make themselves feel superior by putting down another.

And broken english by French has been played up as very comedic a la the French goalie in Slapshot braks me by playing up the accent;

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Slapshot+golaie+interview&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=57D12F1BC45EFA9DC4E757D12F1BC45EFA9DC4E7

and you got admit it is humerous bit, but maybe not as PC as some want to see these days.

Yes and that goes both ways. I have heard english speaking fans make fun of Therriens english. Now i am no fan of the guys coaching skills (or lack there of) but his english is better than my french. Good on him.

Absolutely, there are morons in every culture. But do influential journalists make fun of Euros' accents when they cover teams in other markets, then simultaneously demonize them if they don't speak English? I dunno. But to be honest, I tend to doubt it.

Bergevin once said he isn't here to be popular, he's here to make decisions. is it possible that he hires and english only coach? I'm sure the fans would eventually shut up if the results were good.

Absolutely, there are morons in every culture. But do influential journalists make fun of Euros' accents when they cover teams in other markets, then simultaneously demonize them if they don't speak English? I dunno. But to be honest, I tend to doubt it.

Yes your point is more than valid . imo

Bergevin once said he isn't here to be popular, he's here to make decisions. is it possible that he hires and english only coach? I'm sure the fans would eventually shut up if the results were good.

Yes I am all but positive they would. The media who dont like it can lump it. Translate it for all those picky listeners and readers...........thats what they do when english players on the team have something to say. You dont see the media freakin out because Carey Price does not speak french. Thats the ways it should be right across the board. Players and management. Best guy gets the job "even if he speaks chinese"

Nope Molson won't allow it.

• Upvote 1

The problem, of course, is that hockey, while still 'culture' to Habs fans (franco or anglo), is merely a business to those in the sport. The language of business in North America, like it or not, is English. Would Montreal be able to attract top notch players if they insisted these players learned French? I'm sure more than a few would scoff. It's a sad reality, and one of the little things that, in my opinion, tarnishes a little of the glorious history of les habitants, but it unfortunately is the reality.

And that, HW friends, demonstrates the depths of my cynicism.

The problem, of course, is that hockey, while still 'culture' to Habs fans (franco or anglo), is merely a business to those in the sport. The language of business in North America, like it or not, is English. Would Montreal be able to attract top notch players if they insisted these players learned French? I'm sure more than a few would scoff. It's a sad reality, and one of the little things that, in my opinion, tarnishes a little of the glorious history of les habitants, but it unfortunately is the reality.

Sadly You are correct.

Colin is cool.

No one is 'insisting' that Habs' players learn French. I was, however, expressing my disappointment that today's players do not seem as interested in doing so as the great 1970s players. It seems to me to show a narrowing, a smallness, in the mindset of the players. It's a bit ironic that, back when players made less-than-stratospheric incomes, they took a more sophisticated attitude to the opportunities Montreal afforded, while as multi-millionaires, they don't.

NHLers not paid to speak, simply entertain.

Also, many may not be up for criticism that comes from speaking new language poorly?

Therrien gets made fun of by both English & French Quebec media for poor language skills, dosent he?

I just try to put myself in the shoes of a player doing visits to a childrens hospital in Montreal and a kid is wearing my sweater and trying to tell me I'm his favourite player but I don't understand because I don't speak the language of the province he was born in.

In a purely capitalist sense yes, the only job is to be a good hockey player. But if people are going to criticize players for their behaviour off the ice and say they have to be role models, I think knowing some French isn't a big demand. It's one thing to not know due to learning issues. It's another to just not care.

It's a bit ironic that, back when players made less-than-stratospheric incomes, they took a more sophisticated attitude to the opportunities Montreal afforded, while as multi-millionaires, they don't.

They also cared more about the game. Playing was their life. Now it is just a job, do as little as you have to, cause you are a star.

I think it's ridiculous that a grunt like Gilbert , or a plugger like Prust make close to $3m.

They also cared more about the game. Playing was their life. Now it is just a job, do as little as you have to, cause you are a star.

I think it's ridiculous that a grunt like Gilbert , or a plugger like Prust make close to $3m.

yeah it is not like there are a lot people paying for tickets to see them.

yeah it is not like there are a lot people paying for tickets to see them.

i don't have any issues with the stars making the money the do - they are who people pay to see. That's why i'd have no problem if Crosby was making $15m or $20M like stars in other leagues. What i don't get is the stupid money being thrown at 3rd/4th liners and bottom 3 dmen.

Guest Stogey24

Why? Prust earns his money every night

Guys like Prust would actually be making MORE money if the NHL did not artificially deflate player salaries via the salary cap. In terms of pure supply and demand economics, their talents are worth more than they're actually paid.

Guys like Prust would actually be making MORE money if the NHL did not artificially deflate player salaries via the salary cap. In terms of pure supply and demand economics, their talents are worth more than they're actually paid.

there will always be teams that overpay for 3rd/4th line talent. Point is if you look at the NFL, the top players that drive gate receipts are the ones who get paid - regardless if they are in the league 1 year or 10 years. In the NHL. you have the Prusts (easily replaceable) of the world making stupid money. I like Prust, but just think its ridiculous that a guy with his skill set make the money he does.

Why? Prust earns his money every night

like my earlier comment. I like Prust. But is he a $3M player in my eyes - no bloody way! I like the NFL approach, where the guys that drive gate receipts make astronomically more than everyone else. That is in consistent with any other profession.

Guest Stogey24

there will always be teams that overpay for 3rd/4th line talent. Point is if you look at the NFL, the top players that drive gate receipts are the ones who get paid - regardless if they are in the league 1 year or 10 years. In the NHL. you have the Prusts (easily replaceable) of the world making stupid money. I like Prust, but just think its ridiculous that a guy with his skill set make the money he does.

like my earlier comment. I like Prust. But is he a $3M player in my eyes - no bloody way! I like the NFL approach, where the guys that drive gate receipts make astronomically more than everyone else. That is in consistent with any other profession.

I LOVE Prust so my opinion is biased anyways