When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

I just think there is something wrong with a system where Maxpac only makes around $1.5m more than Prust and Markov only twice as much as Prust. Would you trade Markov for two Prust's?

Sounds like someone is simply jealous :rastapop:, good for Moan/Prust to make nice wages.

Don't think has anything to do with thread, but

Wanna know how foolish that idea is.

DD gets more points/$ than Pacioretty

and the new kid played his first nhl game tonight......had like 6 shifts....and need one more goal to be tied with DD

I just think there is something wrong with a system where Maxpac only makes around $1.5m more than Prust and Markov only twice as much as Prust. Would you trade Markov for two Prust's?

whos job would you rather do? Markovs or Prusts

Who would you rather have - I'll take Markov. Prust is a dime a dozen player.

and the new kid played his first nhl game tonight......had like 6 shifts....and need one more goal to be tied with DD

whos job would you rather do? Markovs or Prusts

How mNu points would DD have without Maxpac?

Wanna know how foolish that idea is.

DD gets more points/$ than Pacioretty

I think there is something wrong with a system that means the Habs come out not ready for prime time 75% of the time. That is what this thread is about.

I don't think the system is designed like that though. By no means should the coaches be absolved of all blame for the slow starts but some of it has to go to the players too. Why do they only try their best in the third period most nights? That's on them as well as the coaches.

I don't think the system is designed like that though. By no means should the coaches be absolved of all blame for the slow starts but some of it has to go to the players too. Why do they only try their best in the third period most nights? That's on them as well as the coaches.

Because they are losing by then from not being ready to play in the first?

Therrien is as needed to this team as Budjai was. We would miss him as much as we miss White. He contributes as much as Moen did. If he was cut nobody would pick him up. He will never be considered to join team Canada.

Quite frankly the Montreal Canadiens deserve better.

Quite frankly the Montreal Canadiens deserve better.

With their BS policy of the coach having to speak French fluently, thus DRASTICALLY reducing the talent pool upon which they can draw, do they really?

If it's true that players who speak faltering French get mocked for it by the media, then the team ought to make a point of underscoring this the next time it comes up. Hockey players are proud people in the public eye. I don't blame them for not wanting to make themselves subjects of ridicule. The team should call out the language snobs on their BS, just like Gainey publicly called out the Brisebois-bashers. Doing so might turn the fan narrative around from "damned Habs who won't talk French" to "damned media goons that crap on good-faith efforts by players."

I moved to rural Quebec from Nova Scotia in my late teens, and while I did have some pre-exising French-language skills, I certainly made a lot of linguistic mistakes and was very clearly wrestling with this 'second language.' Many people were very tolerant and nice about it - I even ended up with a girlfriend who found it all charming - but there was very definitely a minority of people who were just appallingly rude (mocking my errors, treating me like I was stupid because I wasn't fully articulate, etc.). You'd like to think that Montrealers would be more cosmopolitan and sophisticated, and would have some appreciation that it can be hard to work in a second language...but maybe that ain't the case.

That same situation happened to me in my early twenties. I took years and years of Spanish and wad pretty good at it. I used to work in kitchens, where the majority of workers speak Spanish so I would try to practice my Spanish, until I heard some jerk say I spoke "blah-blah Espanyala." I very rarely try speaking Spanish today, even if someone is struggling with English and I can help them out. Tough shit.

Did the Habs have this first-period problem last year? Maybe they did but I don't recall that.

What's changed? Has Therrien suddenly forgotten how to get his team ready?

I think it's quite possible that all those great 2nd/3rd-period comebacks conveyed exactly the wrong message to the players. Therrien was probably telling them, 'we have to be ready to play 60 minutes,' but the empirical evidence was that they could win by only playing 40. Maybe the team internalized that idea. Now they have to, as Yoda would say, UNLEARN.

As i said in another thread. You can't fire 22 players, but you can fire a coach and have an impact on 22 players. I know he is not getting fired, I am just saying something doesn't smell right when the team is constantly not ready. I am pretty sure that is not what MT wants. I don't perceive him saying to the guys , OK take it cool in the first don't get hurt, in the second take it up a notch but in the third BLast Em. However that sure as heck is what it looks like. :habslogo:

Btw let's don't do like the oily ones and fire the goal tending coach ok? :)

As i said in another thread. You can't fire 22 players, but you can fire a coach and have an impact on 22 players. I know he is not getting fired, I am just saying something doesn't smell right when the team is constantly not ready. I am pretty sure that is not what MT wants. I don't perceive him saying to the guys , OK take it cool in the first don't get hurt, in the second take it up a notch but in the third BLast Em. However that sure as heck is what it looks like. :habslogo:

Btw let's don't do like the oily ones and fire the goal tending coach ok? :)

Position in standings not supported by key stats (goal differential) and looks now more and more like Price and puck luck to start the year were the main reason for their place in the standings. The team hasn't shown up in the 1st period all year. NO ONE other than Price showed up after #4 passes away, in what should have been a tribute type effort. PP has been non-existant in over a year and the coaching staff still going with the same stupid configurations, without any meaningful adjustments. 3 in-season moves already made by the GM this year (most in NHL???). Sounds like a perfect time to pull the rug out from Le' Genius.

The argument that Therrien brought a 15th place team to the playoffs is ridiculous.

Did a single person on this site believe for a second that we were a 15th place team?

The change to Beregevin redid the ENTIRE CULTURE around Montreal, it was a terrible atmosphere to play in as both Spacek and Hal Gill said in some honest interviews after they left. Coupling that with the personnel changes that Beregevin made any NHL coach could have improved on 15th place and honestly brought us to the playoffs. Players won the games.

Theres a reason Therrien did not get hired by a team for years until Montreal came knocking with the "we can only hire french people" requirement. I've disliked Therrien since he got here, even when we were winning his decisions were unorthodox but he got away with it because of the strength of our lineup and Carey Price.

He almost cost us the Boston series by refusing to see that Murray was useless.

I don't know if this was addressed but I hate seeing this arguement as if Therrien was Christ the redeemer coming down and brought us to the playoffs. You could have had NO coach and had a better result than 15th place with this lineup.

The argument that Therrien brought a 15th place team to the playoffs is ridiculous.

Did a single person on this site believe for a second that we were a 15th place team?

The change to Beregevin redid the ENTIRE CULTURE around Montreal, it was a terrible atmosphere to play in as both Spacek and Hal Gill said in some honest interviews after they left. Coupling that with the personnel changes that Beregevin made any NHL coach could have improved on 15th place and honestly brought us to the playoffs. Players won the games.

Theres a reason Therrien did not get hired by a team for years until Montreal came knocking with the "we can only hire french people" requirement. I've disliked Therrien since he got here, even when we were winning his decisions were unorthodox but he got away with it because of the strength of our lineup and Carey Price.

He almost cost us the Boston series by refusing to see that Murray was useless.

I don't know if this was addressed but I hate seeing this arguement as if Therrien was Christ the redeemer coming down and brought us to the playoffs. You could have had NO coach and had a better result than 15th place with this lineup.

One hundred per cent correct.

Here we go again. When the team wins, it's in spite of Therrien. When it loses, it's because of Therrien.

Look, I don't ultimately care if Therrien gets canned or not. But most of what I hear on this thread is scapegoating rather than rational argument.

Because they are losing by then from not being ready to play in the first?

And why aren't they ready to play in the 1st? Is the game plan from the coaching staff "Okay boys, conserve energy early on and coast"? If no, then some blame has to go to the players too. It's not just blame one over the other here, at least it shouldn't be.

Position in standings not supported by key stats (goal differential) and looks now more and more like Price and puck luck to start the year were the main reason for their place in the standings. The team hasn't shown up in the 1st period all year. NO ONE other than Price showed up after #4 passes away, in what should have been a tribute type effort. PP has been non-existant in over a year and the coaching staff still going with the same stupid configurations, without any meaningful adjustments. 3 in-season moves already made by the GM this year (most in NHL???). Sounds like a perfect time to pull the rug out from Le' Genius.

The last couple of games have in my mind proven 1 thing, If price is perfect we win, if he Lets in a softie or 2 as any goaltender will, we lose.

So the big coaching decision of the day is......who plays goal. It's like Sather coaching the oily ones, as long as he could say "Wayne you're up" he had a winning record and a good shot at a cup.

And why aren't they ready to play in the 1st? Is the game plan from the coaching staff "Okay boys, conserve energy early on and coast"? If no, then some blame has to go to the players too. It's not just blame one over the other here, at least it shouldn't be.

"is the game plan from the coaching staff ok boys conserve energy early and coast" no

but

is it the intention of the players "ok boys lets wait till the third to light it up" players job is to get himself ready to play his role on the club

one of the coaches main duties is to have THE TEAM prepared (welcome to the big leagues)..............now it wont happen every night...........but when its every game for approaching half a season .... somethings up.

and any gm will listen to the media, fans or even coach put it all on "the players" for so long before he tells him that facts of coaching in the nhl........its your job to get the team ready.

Sweet!

(more just for the reaction it will bring from Hater-Cynics than I really care he was extended. :clap:)

Let the freaking out begin.."MB you idiot.." and such should be coming!

Bah, lame argument to fire the coach because the team isn't focused to play.

It's both players and coach, but mostly players getting beat in battles, coach can't win a puck battle.

Scotty Bowman couldn't get this team any more wins if the effort isn't there.

Bergevin said, if he listened to the fans, he'd soon be one...

"is the game plan from the coaching staff ok boys conserve energy early and coast" no

but

is it the intention of the players "ok boys lets wait till the third to light it up" players job is to get himself ready to play his role on the club

one of the coaches main duties is to have THE TEAM prepared (welcome to the big leagues)..............now it wont happen every night...........but when its every game for approaching half a season .... somethings up.

and any gm will listen to the media, fans or even coach put it all on "the players" for so long before he tells him that facts of coaching in the nhl........its your job to get the team ready.

You're right, something is up. To be as bad as they've been in the first period is pitiful. All I'm saying is that it's not just on the coaches (nor is it just on the players). The focus is all on Therrien but to me, the blame needs to be spread around.

Therrien just extended for 4 years according to HF Boards--- Don't think he will be going anyplace soon.

That was a thread from the summer that was bumped, not new news.