When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

How about calling him up, telling him we will make a change at year's end and are interested in him and sussing out hypothetical salary demands, etc.. Insist on absolute discretion so there is no media flare-up. Then, a day or two after the season ends, fire MT and Bob's your uncle.

I really like the way you think. Call markdown marc right away.

I really like the way you think. Call markdown marc right away.

I'll get on it right after he gets off the phone with Joe Lassiter about the Crosby for Desharnais deal

(In all seriousness, Montreal is the PERFECT landing pad for any coach wanting to get back in the game. The team has massively under-performed this year but has plenty of excellent pieces, and with a healthy Price and a few shrewd moves, should return to the upper echelon next season. New coach comes in, looks like a genius. Exactly the right scenario for a guy like The Crow).

I'll get on it right after he gets off the phone with Joe Lassiter about the Crosby for Desharnais deal

(In all seriousness, Montreal is the PERFECT landing pad for any coach wanting to get back in the game. The team has massively under-performed this year but has plenty of excellent pieces, and with a healthy Price and a few shrewd moves, should return to the upper echelon next season. New coach comes in, looks like a genius. Exactly the right scenario for a guy like The Crow).

Good thinking cause that dd for Crosby is a sure winner, him being a lifelong Habs fan and all. Oh and Rutherford is a goof. (actually that part might be true)

So does Therrien have just 1 month left at helm of Titantic, then a month or two of bitching about having to hire a French coach, then 6 months of rope for Crawford before the 1st losing streak in November and many will be calling for Bouche to replace him. :blush:

So does Therrien have just 1 month left at helm of Titantic, then a month or two of bitching about having to hire a French coach, then 6 months of rope for Crawford before the 1st losing streak in November and many will be calling for Bouche to replace him. :blush:

Crawford would neutralize the first issue because he is actually anglo; his French is fairly rough but would probably recover with a bit of practice. The real backlash will come from the baying jackals of nativist nationalism in certain segments of the francophone media.

I've said all along that the Therrien haters will very quickly come to hate Therrien's replacement just as much, because Therrien is in fact typical of the great mass of modern NHL coaches. He tends to favour veterans in key situations, he plays it safe, he emphasizes low risks and defence, he makes specific lineup and in-game decisions that can always be questioned and challenged by backseat wanna-be coaches. Outside of Babcock, Quenneville, Trotz, and one or two others, every other coach in the league is subject to the same sorts of complaints. His replacement will be different in some ways, obviously, but will have his own weaknesses and strengths. The haters hated JM, hated Therrien, and will hate the next guy too. Just a matter of time.

The real reasons for canning Therrien have nothing to do with satisfying the armchair Scotty Bowmans. Rather they are, first, the need to completely turn the page on this disaster of a season - effecting a complete culture change, a fresh start. And second, MT, having been behind the bench for four years, is almost certainly approaching his best-before date if he hasn't already passed it. We've just lost a season to crazy injuries and weird problems. I have no desire to lose a second season due to players tuning out the coach. Fire MT as a proactive measure at the end of the season, in order to ensure that we have an optimal pool of replacements to draw from, rather than being forced to fire him next December or January when the talent pool is much smaller.

Crawford has been accepted by Quebec media for like 25 years now. The reporters remember him winning a Jack Adams with the Nordiques and a Cup with the former Nordiques turned Avalanche. He still does interviews in French for TVA and RDS. The nationalists don't care how well you speak it, just that you do. Subban and Pacioretty both got respect by the French media for their attempts to speak the language. Even Gionta got props for doing French introductions when he became captain.

The last time an anglo got mocked for a bad accent when trying I remember was actually Sidney Crosby, who tried doing some interviews in french when he was in the QMJHL and after trying to as a Penguins rookie, heard he was getting laughed at for being bad at it and stopped trying entirely.

Crawford would neutralize the first issue because he is actually anglo; his French is fairly rough but would probably recover with a bit of practice. The real backlash will come from the baying jackals of nativist nationalism in certain segments of the francophone media.

I've said all along that the Therrien haters will very quickly come to hate Therrien's replacement just as much, because Therrien is in fact typical of the great mass of modern NHL coaches. He tends to favour veterans in key situations, he plays it safe, he emphasizes low risks and defence, he makes specific lineup and in-game decisions that can always be questioned and challenged by backseat wanna-be coaches. Outside of Babcock, Quenneville, Trotz, and one or two others, every other coach in the league is subject to the same sorts of complaints. His replacement will be different in some ways, obviously, but will have his own weaknesses and strengths. The haters hated JM, hated Therrien, and will hate the next guy too. Just a matter of time.

The real reasons for canning Therrien have nothing to do with satisfying the armchair Scotty Bowmans. Rather they are, first, the need to completely turn the page on this disaster of a season - effecting a complete culture change, a fresh start. And second, MT, having been behind the bench for four years, is almost certainly approaching his best-before date if he hasn't already passed it. We've just lost a season to crazy injuries and weird problems. I have no desire to lose a second season due to players tuning out the coach. Fire MT as a proactive measure at the end of the season, in order to ensure that we have an optimal pool of replacements to draw from, rather than being forced to fire him next December or January when the talent pool is much smaller.

Well my friend I for one have always supported the coach and the gm. Let's leave Houle and Tremblay out of this argument. I don't hate Le Genius, I just think he is a terrible coach. His systems do not work. He teaches defence only cause he has no clue how to teach offence. He is an egotistical control freak, as is evidenced by his treatment of PK Suban and others. He is safety first, play the vets cause they are safe, don't put the kids out there, cause they make mistakes, kind of guy. Don't put Galchenyuk at center cause he may make a mistake. I really have to chuckle at Don and others who say that he really developed PK and Galchenyuk, really? Show me how. Hal Gill did more to help PK in a few months than Le Genius has done in 4 years. And as big Hal said "let PK be PK" he is a superstar, something Le Genius cannot abide. He wants 4th line grinders to make up the whole team. Crawford will be a breath of fresh air. Fork the media he speaks french, that is the requirement. Unless we now have a rule that says he must be born in Rivier Du Loup or some such nonsense, which would not surprise me. Anyway I will support any coach not named Therrien if he can coach. Crawford in my opinion can coach, not to say he won't make mistakes, not letting Gretzky into the shootout being the most egregious. I supported JM Carbo, never had much chance to evaluate Cunneyworth. So no you won't hear me bitching unless something goes terribly wrong, but what could be worse than this? I started this thread back when PK was being used by Le Genius as a punching bag. It is amazing that it still flows along.

He has been an average coach at worst, shouldn't be fired and seeing moves Bergevin has done, I get feeling he wont be.

Bergevin has more important roster items to deal with wouldn't you say.

I tend to agree, actually. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen but I don't see it as a sure thing that he gets canned as many do. The best argument I've heard is that in the era of modern day coaches, Therrien really is at the "best before date". Generally, your average coach does not last much longer than Therrien has already been at the helm. I'm not positioning myself to defend him, but if you were to look at the list of reasons that this season turned out he way it did, Therrien would be 4th or 5th on the list at the highest. If you want to ignore all the other things and fire him for a change of culture, then sure.

I tend to agree, actually. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen but I don't see it as a sure thing that he gets canned as many do. The best argument I've heard is that in the era of modern day coaches, Therrien really is at the "best before date". Generally, your average coach does not last much longer than Therrien has already been at the helm. I'm not positioning myself to defend him, but if you were to look at the list of reasons that this season turned out he way it did, Therrien would be 4th or 5th on the list at the highest. If you want to ignore all the other things and fire him for a change of culture, then sure.

This team absolutely needs a change of direction, Le Genius is not it. I will agree that Carey getting injured is a biggie, but in my opinion that merely made it perfectly clear that Le Genius is no coach. He was unable to adapt, and the team suffered as a result. I only have to ask, when he knew Carey was not going to be back what did he do to compensate? The answer? Nothing, he still preached the same system that had absolutely no chance of working without Carey Price. There were many things he could have done, like try revamp the offence to score more, did he? No his answer was play more defence. When that did not work, he played more defence. The very definition of insanity is to repeat what you know does not work and expect different results. In my opinion his coaching is just another thing that Carey covers up with his play. So yeah Carey getting injured #1 on the list of reasons this season was shit. #2 Le Genius. If Markdown Marc does not fire him at the end of the season, I will lose a lot of respect for Marc and I am a big fan of his. Le Genius developing young players? Give me a break. It is easy to staple some kid to the bench because he made a mistake. It takes a real coach to say "ok you forked up, you know it I know it, now let's go make it right". That is what a coach does. A real coach would have realized that Galchenyuk is the future, you play him, because the more you play him the more he learns. A real coach would have sat DD and played Galchenyuk. DD will never ever take you to the cup, but Galchenyuk might. No I do not support Le Genius, he is an egotistical ass. But hey that is just my opinion.

I agree with Don as well, not sure if MT will be fired until next season, and see how it's going with 2016/17's lineup, because arguably any coach would be hard pressed to make the playoffs this season with the lineup we have had to ice, since Price went down.

If the team is faltering next season, I expect MT's leash will be short.

This team absolutely needs a change of direction, Le Genius is not it. I will agree that Carey getting injured is a biggie, but in my opinion that merely made it perfectly clear that Le Genius is no coach. He was unable to adapt, and the team suffered as a result. I only have to ask, when he knew Carey was not going to be back what did he do to compensate? The answer? Nothing, he still preached the same system that had absolutely no chance of working without Carey Price. There were many things he could have done, like try revamp the offence to score more, did he? No his answer was play more defence. When that did not work, he played more defence. The very definition of insanity is to repeat what you know does not work and expect different results. In my opinion his coaching is just another thing that Carey covers up with his play. So yeah Carey getting injured #1 on the list of reasons this season was shit. #2 Le Genius. If Markdown Marc does not fire him at the end of the season, I will lose a lot of respect for Marc and I am a big fan of his. Le Genius developing young players? Give me a break. It is easy to staple some kid to the bench because he made a mistake. It takes a real coach to say "ok you forked up, you know it I know it, now let's go make it right". That is what a coach does. A real coach would have realized that Galchenyuk is the future, you play him, because the more you play him the more he learns. A real coach would have sat DD and played Galchenyuk. DD will never ever take you to the cup, but Galchenyuk might. No I do not support Le Genius, he is an egotistical ass. But hey that is just my opinion.

The only thing with that argument is that first of all, he most likely did make adjustments in his systems. The very fact that Carey is not in the lineup changes the way the team breaks out for instance since none of our other goalies can handle the puck as well as well. Point is, he has definitely made adjustments, they just haven't resulted in wins which I admit is the only thing that's important.

Second, any adjustment he makes is and would be criticized anyway since the team is losing. The argument already has its mind made up.

I'm fine with anything in all honesty but while I am a fan of Bergevin as well in general, I put more blame on management this season than Therrien. There are multiple incidents from Kassian (or messing with the team's depth) to other things that fall in reasons #2+ for this season's debacle. Heck for me, puck luck and lack of finish are up higher on the list than Therrien because we outplayed teams at the beginning of our slump. One can attribute the lack of offense to Therrien's system or lackthereoff, while others might view it as personnel being the reason we can't score (the ol' 4 top 6 players debate) Whichever side of the coin you prefer.

The only thing with that argument is that first of all, he most likely did make adjustments in his systems. The very fact that Carey is not in the lineup changes the way the team breaks out for instance since none of our other goalies can handle the puck as well as well. Point is, he has definitely made adjustments, they just haven't resulted in wins which I admit is the only thing that's important.

Second, any adjustment he makes is and would be criticized anyway since the team is losing. The argument already has its mind made up.

I'm fine with anything in all honesty but while I am a fan of Bergevin as well in general, I put more blame on management this season than Therrien. There are multiple incidents from Kassian (or messing with the team's depth) to other things that fall in reasons #2+ for this season's debacle. Heck for me, puck luck and lack of finish are up higher on the list than Therrien because we outplayed teams at the beginning of our slump. One can attribute the lack of offense to Therrien's system or lackthereoff, while others might view it as personnel being the reason we can't score (the ol' 4 top 6 players debate) Whichever side of the coin you prefer.

if you noticed some changes I would love to know what they were. "Second, any adjustment he makes is and would be criticized anyway since the team is losing" come on now it would be tough to critisize if they were winning, but the point they are losing long and hard.

I won't really care one way or the other if MT gets fired, but I am not in the camp that says this is all MT fault. This team has had no NHL goalie all season. It has been short 2 top 6 forwards all season. It has been short a third top six in Gallagher for a good chunk of the season. It has struggled with two top 4 defense for the last month or so. These are GM issues. Not the goalie issue, but the top 6 players. DD was on the third line at the beginning of the season and he looked great there. Eller was OK with chucky, but not a top 6 guy. I still don't see Galchenyuk as a number one center on a winning team. Unless he is paired with a high IQ right winger. His finish has been awesome lately and I have high hopes but I haven't seen the cerebral stud Centre that can control the play and set up goals. Not yet anyway. You guys act like Mt is some drooling idiot that left crosby or towes on the 4th line. It just wasn't the case. He tried playing him on the top six but there were no top six players for him to play with. We can all argue that he should have been switched with Plek way earlier, but let's not forget that the plek line was one of the best first lines in the NHL for two months. In hindsight the Chucky move should have happened a month earlier. I do agree on the DD ice time on the PP. That's just weird.

If I see a balanced team with 6 top 6ers, 4 top 4 defense, and an nhl starter, and MT fails to produce wins, I will be the first guy to scream at him. I just think a lot of this anger should be directed at Bergevin.

I won't really care one way or the other if MT gets fired, but I am not in the camp that says this is all MT fault. This team has had no NHL goalie all season. It has been short 2 top 6 forwards all season. It has been short a third top six in Gallagher for a good chunk of the season. It has struggled with two top 4 defense for the last month or so. These are GM issues. Not the goalie issue, but the top 6 players. DD was on the third line at the beginning of the season and he looked great there. Eller was OK with chucky, but not a top 6 guy. I still don't see Galchenyuk as a number one center on a winning team. Unless he is paired with a high IQ right winger. His finish has been awesome lately and I have high hopes but I haven't seen the cerebral stud Centre that can control the play and set up goals. Not yet anyway. You guys act like Mt is some drooling idiot that left crosby or towes on the 4th line. It just wasn't the case. He tried playing him on the top six but there were no top six players for him to play with. We can all argue that he should have been switched with Plek way earlier, but let's not forget that the plek line was one of the best first lines in the NHL for two months. In hindsight the Chucky move should have happened a month earlier. I do agree on the DD ice time on the PP. That's just weird.

If I see a balanced team with 6 top 6ers, 4 top 4 defense, and an nhl starter, and MT fails to produce wins, I will be the first guy to scream at him. I just think a lot of this anger should be directed at Bergevin.

Well it is interesting that he gets such leeway from some fans, mostly because he has a great winning record, I cannot and will not deny that. However when the team hits a bump in the road, he has no answer. Never has had. When Ken (i want more money) Dryden sat out a full year, the team won 45 games, they lost to the Rags in the 1st round , but they did not completely fall apart like this team. They compensated, the coach adjusted, he won games in spite of what happened. Hmm I just can't remember his name. Probably just another Le Genius. I expect and I demand excellence from this team, if you believe that is what you are getting then you all are delusional. THIS IS THE FORKING MONTREALCANADIENS FOR FORKS SAKE, not the sad sack leafs. We win. PERIOD.

Facts then, instead of excuse, how is that; Price was out, Gallagher went down, no one had career year, back up goalies didn't stop as many pucks as average goalie in NHL does (21st in goals against), habs lack firepower up front and have zero all-star forwards (14th in scoring).

WTH does firing coach have to do with that?

A shit-leopard cant change his spots.

EPIC put in capitals dosent change anything and it happens, when Romo and Dez Bryant went down was no surprise my Cowboys went 4-12, even though they went 12-4 the previous season and no one is whining about firing coach.

Facts then, instead of excuse, how is that; Price was out, Gallagher went down, no one had career year, back up goalies didn't stop as many pucks as average goalie in NHL does (21st in goals against), habs lack firepower up front and have zero all-star forwards (14th in scoring).

WTH does firing coach have to do with that?

A shit-leopard cant change his spots.

EPIC put in capitals dosent change anything and it happens, when Romo and Dez Bryant went down was no surprise my Cowboys went 4-12, even though they went 12-4 the previous season and no one is whining about firing coach.

They are not THE Canadiens. We are supposed to win not collapse in a sniveling whiny mess.