When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

I can see where PK Subban would get on your nerves from time to time. He's a Big Personality, takes up a lot of oxygen in any room he's in. And I agree that he would be more likely to irritate veterans than young guys. It's like my 9-year-old basset hound...when he meets young dogs who spring and jump and run around, he finds them irritating.

(It's interesting that Subban and Price are buddies. Price is like the polar opposite. Mr. Calm, Gainey-esque in his demeanour.)

But to go from being irritated with PK to hating him and wanting him out? That's another story. PK also seems to have a big heart, to have fundamentally sound values - he's in no way a punk like Ribeiro or Evander Kane seem to be - and obviously and genuinely burns with a desire to win. Any veteran with half a brain would look at this guy and see a core piece in an eventual Cup winner. If a veteran came to me and said PK has to go, the first thing I would do is start looking to move that vet.

• Upvote 1

Are you serious?

Forgot my wink thingy... ;) I will edit that, lol.

Really I was just implying that Price is da man, and his buddy is PK, so the speculation is all horseshit...

As this team goes, they are the 2 cornerstone players that have the stuff to bring a cup.

Guest Stogey24

Forgot my wink thingy... ;) I will edit that, lol.

Lol, I thought you were kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin does talk to Price about some stuff

Yeah, the idea is to get more players like Subban and eventually win a championship. This isn't Boston where they trade three offensive superstars in ten years. If they got rid of Subban for a spurious reason it would show free agents they weren't serious about winning.

Yesterday!!! He should have been shown the door a long time ago. He has been at ice level and seen

the players being bullied far to long. Finally, an tough guy has been brought in to send a message out to

the other teams. Therrien should have been pushing for some toughness right after Price was knocked out

of the New York series. We get one more real shot next year while Price is still in his prime.

A new coach is needed to get the players in front of him moving big time. Price needs a team in front of him.

He has been overworked so far and paid for it.

Poor overworked lil Carey, had to win all of 10gms this year. He cant face that workload again next season and stay healthy...no f'in way!

Don MT does not coach he put in Carey in nets and we win sorry to say, Therrien system no longer works,now living in Montreal I have heard that MR.M, MB and MT are already working on next season. So there is a very good chance that Therrien is back next season to bad for us

Poor overworked lil Carey, had to win all of 10gms this year. He cant face that workload again next season and stay healthy...no f'in way!

Don are you serious? I think not. You know that is a ridiculous statement and i cant think of why you say that. The pressure is getting to you buddy

(sarcastic font missing)

Previous poster claims Price is hurt often because he is overworked, which I don't quite agree with. And to say hiring Coach 'X' instead will lessen his workload I really don't agree with.

You know Don sometimes you lose perspective. I think the 29habs3318 was referring to previous years so for edification purposes Carey has averaged 50 games a year for 9 years. That includes the years that he was injured and only play 12 games and 41 games. Which goes to show he plays a hell of a lot.. Maybe too much, but I know he is a gamer and wants to play every game. But like Markov we have to control his number of games to what is best for the team.

A fact- #1 goalies play a lot, always have.

Price played 72 in 2010 and 66 in 14-15, are his 2 biggest years.

Martin Brodour played 70+ games in 12 different seasons.

At this point I can't get a read on MB's plan for Therrien, but I have a hunch that he'll be back, but with a very short leash. I only see him sticking if we hold onto a division playoff spot. Therrien's record with the habs is respectable, and I guess you have to give credit, but for some reason I always felt like the habs were winning in spite of Therrien not because of him. That may be unfair, but strange coaching decisions always made me feel that way. Mostly players usage, i.e., Galchenyuk DD, and Markov (I excuse recent weeks where he's been obliged to lean on Markov).

One thing i will say is that the injuries aren't Therrien's fault either, so I feel for him there. It's not like were just missing a couple Flynns. We're missing the reigning MVP, Gallagher who is our heart and soul up front, a top 4 defenseman in Petry, now a NORRIS winner in PK, Beaulieu missed significant time, and now the youth who had been admirably performing, Carr, Barberio, Andrighetto.. that would cripple nearly any team.

That said, there are a couple pretty good names out there we could replace Therrien with, and I think thats the right choice. I just hope its not too late by the time he's MT gets the boot. I could see Crawford in Boucher in the NHL next year regardless of Montreal's choice.

• Upvote 1

At this point I can't get a read on MB's plan for Therrien, but I have a hunch that he'll be back, but with a very short leash. I only see him sticking if we hold onto a division playoff spot. Therrien's record with the habs is respectable, and I guess you have to give credit, but for some reason I always felt like the habs were winning in spite of Therrien not because of him. That may be unfair, but strange coaching decisions always made me feel that way. Mostly players usage, i.e., Galchenyuk DD, and Markov (I excuse recent weeks where he's been obliged to lean on Markov).

One thing i will say is that the injuries aren't Therrien's fault either, so I feel for him there. It's not like were just missing a couple Flynns. We're missing the reigning MVP, Gallagher who is our heart and soul up front, a top 4 defenseman in Petry, now a NORRIS winner in PK, Beaulieu missed significant time, and now the youth who had been admirably performing, Carr, Barberio, Andrighetto.. that would cripple nearly any team.

That said, there are a couple pretty good names out there we could replace Therrien with, and I think thats the right choice. I just hope its not too late by the time he's MT gets the boot. I could see Crawford in Boucher in the NHL next year regardless of Montreal's choice.

The biggest argument against keeping MT 'on a short leash' is precisely that you're putting yourself in a situation where, if you do fire him, you have a shallow pool of replacements. This is especially true given the 'bilingualism' requirement, which removes perhaps 80% of candidates from consideration right off the bat. We cannot afford such luxuries; the next coach will be expected to lead us back to contention and therefore has to be as close to elite as possible. Fire Therrien when the season ends in order to maximize your replacement options.

The biggest argument against keeping MT 'on a short leash' is precisely that you're putting yourself in a situation where, if you do fire him, you have a shallow pool of replacements. This is especially true given the 'bilingualism' requirement, which removes perhaps 80% of candidates from consideration right off the bat. We cannot afford such luxuries; the next coach will be expected to lead us back to contention and therefore has to be as close to elite as possible. Fire Therrien when the season ends in order to maximize your replacement options.

I completely agree with that, MT gone at seasons end is what I'd like to see precisely because of the small pool of coaches the Canadiens have. I was just saying for some reason I'm not sure MB is of the same mind frame. We'll find out soon!

I like Jughead McKenzie's choice of 51% chance that Therrien will return.

Might Vigneault be fired if Rangers get swept in 1st round?

Now if Allain comes available I suggest Le Genius is forking gone. If we are going to retread a coach let's do AV. :halm:

Now if Allain comes available I suggest Le Genius is forking gone. If we are going to retread a coach let's do AV. :halm:

AV tops my list as well.

(Although, you do have to wonder why he can't get more out of what seems a decent Rags lineup).

AV tops my list as well.

(Although, you do have to wonder why he can't get more out of what seems a decent Rags lineup).

well his record is .620 winning average in the last 3 years, which is pretty good. But I agree he just can't seem to put it all together in the playoffs. Maybe he waiting to come back to Montreal to win the cup. :)

Why Canucks ever got rid of him is a head scratcher?

He just seems like a smart witty and personable fellow as well as a 'good' coach.

Can anyone tell me why was he fired by Habs the 1st go-around?

Why Canucks ever got rid of him is a head scratcher?

He just seems like a smart witty and personable fellow as well as a 'good' coach.

Can anyone tell me why was he fired by Habs the 1st go-around?

He was a martyr to an absolutely brutal, bottom-feeding team.

Canucks let him go because his message had gotten stale. Indeed, everything about that group was stale. But that was after something like eight years of huge success.

As for his supposed inability to win a Cup, give me a coach who has gone to Game 7 of the Finals any time, even if he's lost. You generally have to lose before you win. He's by definition readier to coach a champion than anyone who has never been there.