Nov. 10, Isles vs Habs, 6 PM

dlbalr

Galchenyuk is already the best passing forward on the team and once his vision gets more experienced, he'll be the best forward on the team. Still 19. Without his playmaking we wouldn't be where we are. I believe he's leading the rookie class of last year in scoring. Will probably surpass his rookie scoring mark by game 30. I said it in a previous thread and I'll say it again. He's top five indispensable *now*.

I really like Bournival. I hope he sticks as a top six player. Quebec needs a French Canadian hero? Bournival is it. No matter what line he plays he gives a 100% effort. It can get easy to forget during this losing streak that Bournival is top 10 in rookie scoring with only a point separating him and Nathan Mackinnon. I don't expect him to even be nominated for the Calder but just staying top 10 reinforces the teams future. 15 games in I can confidently say if he avoids injury, Bournival will be a significant forward for us.

This is not a criticism of Galchenyuk, but the one niggling issue I've had with him is that he seems to miss on a lot of scoring chances. It was a relief to see him score last game just because of what appears to be an unusually high blown-chance ratio. Again, not a criticism - it would be insane to criticize a 19-year-old for lack of finish - but more of an observation. I don't know whether it tells us anything about the kind of player he projects to become. He was practically a goal-a-game player in junior; can we expect him to be a bona-fide NHL scorer (30+ goals) or is he more the pure playmaking type? If the latter, then we'll need to get him a finisher at some point (Patches? Gally?). Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it'd be nice if he could do it all -_-

Bournival has been a revelation, looking as though he'll be a high-speed, high-energy guy who can bounce between the top-6 and top-9...(hopefully) a more consistent version of Chris Higgins. Absolutely the perfect player to have on a team built around a three-line concept.

As for Gallagher, I am just blown away by this kid. Blown away. Not only is he NOT suffering from a sophomore jinx, he is actually even more of an impact guy than last season. He gives his all every single shift and has elite speed and scoring moxie. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I'll bet it's higher than most people think. If he can avoid that damned concussion demon, I really think he will be a core guy for our next decade - a star. Not to get carried away. But this is the kind of youngster franchises would give their eyeteeth to get.

Thank you Trevor Timmins!!!

A young, smaller Higgins is exactly what I have been thinking of when watching Bournival play. Higgins was an extremely hard working player who never stopped skating, until he started to see himself as a 40 goal scorer and stopped doing the things that made him effective.

I think once Galchenyuk starts potting a few in a row and gets some confidence, we are going to see a guy who is going to be an obvious 35+ goal scorer.

Gallegher is the little engine that could and if he can stay healthy, I can see him being a guy with the potential to put up St.Louis type numbers.

Add these three to Eller, Subban, maxpac, price and Emelin and it's a pretty exciting time to be a habs fan.

The trick now is the veterans we surround these kids with. This is why I think it's critical to resign Markov for at least 3 more years and If Breire is washed up as he looks, he needs to be dumped. We need someone other than pleks as a top 6 stabilizing force after this year and it needs to be someone with more size, but as much grit as Gionta.

This is not a criticism of Galchenyuk, but the one niggling issue I've had with him is that he seems to miss on a lot of scoring chances. It was a relief to see him score last game just because of what appears to be an unusually high blown-chance ratio. Again, not a criticism - it would be insane to criticize a 19-year-old for lack of finish - but more of an observation. I don't know whether it tells us anything about the kind of player he projects to become. He was practically a goal-a-game player in junior; can we expect him to be a bona-fide NHL scorer (30+ goals) or is he more the pure playmaking type? If the latter, then we'll need to get him a finisher at some point (Patches? Gally?). Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it'd be nice if he could do it all -_-

Bournival has been a revelation, looking as though he'll be a high-speed, high-energy guy who can bounce between the top-6 and top-9...(hopefully) a more consistent version of Chris Higgins. Absolutely the perfect player to have on a team built around a three-line concept.

As for Gallagher, I am just blown away by this kid. Blown away. Not only is he NOT suffering from a sophomore jinx, he is actually even more of an impact guy than last season. He gives his all every single shift and has elite speed and scoring moxie. I don't know what his ceiling is, but I'll bet it's higher than most people think. If he can avoid that damned concussion demon, I really think he will be a core guy for our next decade - a star. Not to get carried away. But this is the kind of youngster franchises would give their eyeteeth to get.

Thank you Trevor Timmins!!!

Galchenyuk I think is a bit of a streaky scorer at this stage, I bet he pops a few more in the next 3 or 4 games. Gallagher is playing great, as is Eller, I think if Therrien tries to break up this line again he should be, as we say in Newfoundland, shot with a ball of shit. Also, I agree that Desharnes needs a demotion to AHL. If we lose him through wavers, great. If not, maybe he can find his game at that level. He's lost right now.

I watched a bit of Galchenyuk in Sarnia. Played pretty much the same. I watched a game against Windsor in Sarnia where Galchenyuk missed like a dozen good chances on the PP but he still had a dozen good chances on the PP. Another game against Sudbury I think where he had six or seven chances and converted like three of them (had like two goals and an assist). The best players are always a threat and his line is always a threat, a big reason being him. It isn't like Chris Higgins where he's firing perimeter shots into the post five times a game.

Galchenyuk had a good game, but it was probably his fifth or so good game of the year. He hasn't been an impact player for us consistently, which is why he's not as indispensible now as others. He has managed to put up good point totals, but that's as much due to his linemates strong play so far. That said, there's no question that he's on track to be the best scoring forward we've had this millenium

A young, smaller Higgins is exactly what I have been thinking of when watching Bournival play. Higgins was an extremely hard working player who never stopped skating, until he started to see himself as a 40 goal scorer and stopped doing the things that made him effective.

I think once Galchenyuk starts potting a few in a row and gets some confidence, we are going to see a guy who is going to be an obvious 35+ goal scorer.

Gallegher is the little engine that could and if he can stay healthy, I can see him being a guy with the potential to put up St.Louis type numbers.

Add these three to Eller, Subban, maxpac, price and Emelin and it's a pretty exciting time to be a habs fan.

The trick now is the veterans we surround these kids with. This is why I think it's critical to resign Markov for at least 3 more years and If Breire is washed up as he looks, he needs to be dumped. We need someone other than pleks as a top 6 stabilizing force after this year and it needs to be someone with more size, but as much grit as Gionta.

Yes, you read my mind with respect to Gallagher. He could become a St Louis as he ages. We know that he will not be playing this type of intensity game for long, he will need to reinvent himself. Given his determination, it is not absurd the idea that he could become a play like St Louis. I really hope so because this is the only way he will enjoy long success in the NHL.

I must admit, I haven't seen the game yet, but from what I can see here, Gally had a great game. What confuses me is that he apparently had a bad game last time out.

Hubba-huh?

Sure, he got four penalties, but he was also the best attacker Montreal had by a country mile.

So I say again,

Hubba-huh?

Taking penalties does not a bad game make, friends, Romans, countrymen, and Snuffleupagus. If it did, then there are a LOT of players throughout the years who played some really, really bad games despite being the best player on the ice Gordie Howe. You know, that old chestnut.

Sorry lads and... well lads (do we have lasses?) Gally didn't have a bad game last time out, he had a very strong game. He just took penalties.

Seriously, though, why are we always looking to be critical? He *was* the best player on the ice last game for the Habs, and yet because of the PIMs we've decided this was a "bounce back" game? Habs fans go way WAY too far.

I was saying the same thing to a buddy of mine after the Sens game.

It's funny some players yes 4 penalties and they would be having an awful game but he was the most engaged and exciting forward on Thursday night.

So the vets have advised Galchenyuk against the kissing the logo celebration. Ah well.

Chucky stated today that that never happened, and he was just joking when he said that earlier.

I think 35+ goals is a lot to ask for on a regular basis.

Last full season 13 35+ goal men

year before that only 7

Year before that 11.

Galchenyuk had a good game, but it was probably his fifth or so good game of the year. He hasn't been an impact player for us consistently, which is why he's not as indispensible now as others. He has managed to put up good point totals, but that's as much due to his linemates strong play so far. That said, there's no question that he's on track to be the best scoring forward we've had this millenium

Galchenyuk plays such a smart game that people miss his contributions. They see Gallagher's speed and Eller's size and miss out on Galchenyuk's timing and forechecking. When everyone was raving about Eller I wasn't the only here who had to point out how much of Eller's play was made by Galchenyuk.

As long as he can finish, I think this kid can be a 35+ goal guy, or reasonably close to that (opposed to a guy who is a regulate 20 - 30 goal guy). I see a lot more Kane in him than Ryder.

I think 35+ goals is a lot to ask for on a regular basis.

Last full season 13 35+ goal men

year before that only 7

Year before that 11.

Well, given Galchenyuk's pedigree, I think it's reasonable to expect at least a PPG player. Indeed, anything less than that would be a disappointment. 30 goals is about what you have to expect from a PPG player, but will he be a 25-30 man or a 30+ man, that's an interesting question.

It's funny how Galy doesn't seem to have the aura usually accorded to a super-high pick. You don't hear much about him in the non-Montreal-based media, for instance. Most fans are probably only vaguely familiar with his name. He seems to be under the radar, at least for now - perhaps because Subban (absolute superstar) and Gallagher (pint-sized fan favourite) soak up all the glamour.

Bournival is like Courtnall with a little more own-zone presence.

I'm glad you put this here and not in the Bulldogs forum. (Hamilton has a Courtnall and he's not very good. About the only real comparable between he and Bournival is that their last names end in 'l'.)

They've been crap this year, in the crappy metrosexual division. Last year is done with. TB sucked last year and they are a much better team this year- which may now change now that stamkos is out.

Only the Islanders? You mean a playoff team last year?

I knew I was going to get pissy at this. Did people really complain about Chuck kissing the crest? Really?

That pisses me off to no end. God forbid you have a little passion for the game and love the team you play for.

May all the Donald S Cherry Old Boys Guarde move on to their Zimmers and fake teeth years. Please leave the game to the young people.

I want the triple high five back.

I knew I was going to get pissy at this. Did people really complain about Chuck kissing the crest? Really?

That pisses me off to no end. God forbid you have a little passion for the game and love the team you play for.

May all the Donald S Cherry Old Boys Guarde move on to their Zimmers and fake teeth years. Please leave the game to the young people.

I want the triple high five back.

I wouldnt say i would complain, but not fond of most goofy celebrations in general.

If a meaningful goal, sure.

But i would much prefer a more mature/professional, Plekanec, Datzyuk, Zetterberg, Sakic, Gionta, Bourque, Markov type, low-key is perfect by me on 99% of goals.

But i am glad "low-five" thing is gone, seemed sort of unprofessional, or more like NFL-Soccer over the top crap.

Guest Stogey24

I wouldnt say i would complain, but not fond of most goofy celebrations in general.

If a meaningful goal, sure.

But i would much prefer a more mature/professional, Plekanec, Datzyuk, Zetterberg, Sakic, Gionta, Bourque, Markov type, low-key is perfect by me on 99% of goals.

But i am glad "low-five" thing is gone, seemed sort of unprofessional, or more like NFL-Soccer over the top crap.

Seriously?