Who will be traded by the deadline?

dlbalr

We've had a lot of talk recently about some players and whether or not they should be moved by the trade deadline. Let's flip the tables and instead of saying who should be dealt, let's predict who will be dealt (and why). We have an upcoming Writers Weigh In segment on this; as we've done recently, submissions from here may be added to the article.

Boy, trading Pleks would be one ballsy move given what he means to our core. I suppose the assumption is that his role can be filled by Bournival? It depends on the return, but man, I'd be jittery about that one.

Moen and Bourque are interesting and not-implausible candidates. But one can only ponder with amazement the scenario of the Habs getting even SMALLER and less physically robust at the deadline :crazy: At least in the case of Bourque, you can make an argument that he hardly ever uses his size to advantage; despite Habs29's hate-on for Moen, I think he's a useful bottom-6 guy for us, last year's terrible performance notwithstanding. So of the two, I'd see Bourque being the guy MB tries hardest to move, though a deal for Moen would surely be easier to make.

It's really hard to predict such things. Still,

-Diaz might be dealt just because of his contract status. If negotiations falter, you move him.

-Gio should be dealt, but as the other thread indicates, I'd be horsewhipped if I suggested that he will be.

-If MB has any brain at all he will at least test the market for Murray and Honey Boo Boo (maybe a 4th-5th rounder?), as hard as it will be for Therrien to lose his boy toy.

-if Desharnais can string together some quality months, there is a remote chance that some club looking to add offence will be willing to take a flyer on him. If so we absolutely should pounce (although we'd likely have to take salary back).

-Gorges is an interesting case...but I just can't see us moving him.

The players I would be very Leary trading unless the return was massive are in this order

1. Subban

2. Galchenyuk

3. Plekanec. He is way too important. Players that are as well rounded as him do not come around very often. His combination of skill, smarts, and defensive responsibilty, as well as durability are very hard to find.

Deadline moves I would like to see would include DD (impossible), Diaz and Gorges. The rest are either not worth anything or they are too valuable to us. MB really screwed up with the Briere and DD signings last year. Of all the small guys not named Gallagher, Gio is the one who should stay. So, in order to get bigger, we must now keep two small plugs who bring nothing when they are not putting up points, and get rid of a proffessional who plays strong with and without the puck.

This is a tough hypothetical, because the place the team is in hugely effects who gets moved. Will be be buyers? Sellers? Or like last year will Bergevin be content with what he has?

If were sellers, I truly think any of Bourque Gio Desharnais, Murray, Gorges. Diaz, Should and as the thread topic says, will get traded. I could see any two of that list going with Gio and Bourque at the forefront.

If were buyers? List changes pretty quickly. Gorges Gio Murray and maybe Bourque could be considered too valuable to a playoff run, due to either character (Gio gorges) or size (Murray Bourque) Desharnais and Diaz could still be dealt as they might not be what the team needs for the run.

If Desharnais exceeds expectations, I'd be veeery surprised to see him go, as management is probably in love with his frenchness. And he will only be moved if he is in the middle ground, where he is still shit, but is at least tradeable for an old bloody towel and a bag of pucks.

Diaz however? I think he is most likely to go if contract talks don't go as planned. With what will hopefully end up solid years from both beaulieu and Tinordi, management will look at Diaz and say ahhhhh who needs him, a lower end prospect or mid round pick in return.

*breathes*

In order for the team to move forward in the future, we need to move Gionta, to get a reasonable return. His day is done.

Bourque is a definite possibility. He may be big but he doesn't play like it very often and has injury issues. I would not trade Pleks unless we got something really good in return and that won't happen so we keep him gladly. Trading Moen is a sideways move, more than likely. He plays hard, try's hard but has hands of stone. We wont get a better option in return. We need that 4th line plugger and he's it. I don't think we will get anything for Murray or cube, but if we do take it quick. Murray served his purpose and Cube well he is number 8 defenceman. I don't care that MT loves him. Trading Patches would be a mistake unless he is not happy here. We need the kids on the farm to fill in for Murray and Cube. So in my opinion the only real tradeable assets are Bourque and Gionta, and Diaz , just because of size. I want Big defenceman that can play (rules out Murray and Cube). Trading DD is a wet dream unless he gets it really going. And if he does trade him for the best deal you can get. :habslogo:

Philly was a team that had interest in Beaulieu when Montreal drafted him. I could see him being put in a package deal.

I was actually gonna comment on that too. If the deal is right I could see a package involving beaulieu for a decent return

Just Dumont will be gone, sparepart for a sparepart at deadline.

Simply will need all the d- depth they have, so none of those will be traded with the team headed to playoffs and up front I think will stay the course as well.

And obviously a couple of current healthy players, will be out injured come deadline day and I think Hamilton's top couple forwards or d-men will simply be asked to fill-in and Bergevin wont need to deal.

We will be a playoff team. I don't see us as sellers. We can forget about any move that is not a "hockey move".

So who will be traded? I see us making a very minor deal like last year, something like grabbing a Drewiske (only at fwd and not defence this year).

Stogey and Meller: why would we trade Beaulieu? Not being abrasive here, just honestly curious. Won't we need him to be a serious offensive defenceman within the next 2-3 years assuming a limited shelf life for #79? And even if Markov plays until he's ancient, don't we have a serious organizational need another top-4 defenceman anyway? What I'm suggesting is that Beaulieu is not redundant in organizational terms and therefore maybe needs to be kept. Or do we see Diaz maturing into that role?

Well, I remember just a couple of years ago he was being hailed as a future star. I don't follow our prospects closely enough to know the truth of the matter, but I wouldn't be so hot to deal away the organization's top defensive prospect (along with Tinordi).

A lot of fans don't seem to be thinking the way I am - i.e., that this is a rebuild and that we should be looking 2-3 years ahead.

We should hang onto Beaulieu and other prospects unless it's a part of a package for a BETTER young player or prospect (i.e. Yakupov or Kulikov).

The biggest piece I could see being moved is Bourque, if he doesn't work his way back into an effective role. This could be problematic in that he's one of the few forwards with size that we have, but it might be similar to the Cole situation in getting out of contract before it becomes a cap millstone.

• Upvote 1

Stogey and Meller: why would we trade Beaulieu? Not being abrasive here, just honestly curious. Won't we need him to be a serious offensive defenceman within the next 2-3 years assuming a limited shelf life for #79? And even if Markov plays until he's ancient, don't we have a serious organizational need another top-4 defenceman anyway? What I'm suggesting is that Beaulieu is not redundant in organizational terms and therefore maybe needs to be kept. Or do we see Diaz maturing into that role?

Not saying that trading him is a good idea, but Beaulieu has had his troubles. Possible character issues with the whole assault thing, Mind numbing defensive gaffes at times etc. These are only things the organization can really know, but maybe they don't like what they see. They know he has value, so if they see other teams with interest in him, they make a trade. I think this could happen only if we are a serious contender at the deadline and are able to aquire a real nice asset in a package deal which will help us in the playoffs.

Personally I feel Beaulieu has a bright future along with Tinordi, and will be part of our core within about 2 years. I just have this back of my mind nagging that he could be moved because of his past, and he isn't having a great season either.

Boy, if we trade him "to help us now" I will be one unhappy Cucumber. It's folly for this team to "go for it" by shipping out young talent for short-term help.

That doesn't mean you're wrong to think he could be moved for just the reasons you state, Meller93. But I'll be pretty shocked if he's not traded for other prospects rather than, God forbid, a rental.

• Upvote 1

The only guys I see moving are Bourque and Diaz. Diaz is on an expiring deal, and Bourque might play his way off the team if they remain semi-healthy. They both can be nice complimentary pieces to other clubs. Unfortunately, with the salary cap situation, few trading partners exist, unless injuries/LTIR come into play. Bourque and Diaz for Kulikov and a pick would be a good deal.

I don't think Bergevin has the stones to move Plekanec, and unless he can get serious scoring back, the deal would be a mistake. The identity this year is solid defense, and Plekanec is a key piece. For him go, we would have to get a first line winger, someone like Yakupov or Evander Kane.

Gionta doesn't move if we're in the playoffs, like Commandant mentioned, it doesn't happen, and I can't name one instance of that.

If we're sellers all bets are off and the situation could get very interesting. I could see Gionta, Markov and Diaz moving if there's a serious step back, say 12th-14th place.

We've had a lot of talk recently about some players and whether or not they should be moved by the trade deadline. Let's flip the tables and instead of saying who should be dealt, let's predict who will be dealt (and why). We have an upcoming Writers Weigh In segment on this; as we've done recently, submissions from here may be added to the article.

I don't like this thread at all. :angry2: Guessing who will be unloaded at the deadline is a mug's game for fans of teams that are on the bubble for the playoffs and have no hope of winning a playoff round.

I say that we will make the playoffs and win a couple of rounds. The correct game therefore is: who are we going to add at the deadline and why. And with all respect to CC trading the Captain is not something you do in year two the rebuild-- it happens when you gut the franchise and start over a la Buffalo---it is absolutely the wrong move unless the return in truly mind-boggling which is, of course, highly unlikely.

If MB is going to deal someone from the core it should be done sooner rather than later. Like everyone else, I would like to see DD traded for a big winger with speed and a nose for the net--or draft picks for that matter-- but I don't see it happening anytime soon

Odd thread... the deadline is months away. So much can change from injuries and rookies lighting up Hamilton.

If we're sellers, anyone on an expiring contract is fair game. If we're buyers, anyone who can be sold for an improvement is fair game.

But assuming we're buyers, just look to last year's postseason and specifically towards who showed up and who didn't, and you'll see who Bergevin is looking to ship out: Diaz & Desharnais. Maybe Moen, maybe Gorges. I'd say Bouillon, but probably not... they'll want to give that diminutive geezer a shot at a cup.

I don't really think we will be trading any pieces we need to move through this year and on with the rebuild, IE : Pleks, or Markov, unless it's a block buster deal to acquire something in a younger power forward with tremendous upside, to round out the right side. Gotta think that it would have to be a blockbuster to let Markov go considering his play this year . I can however see MB picking up what he can for grit as the playoffs near, and I can see Bourque being shipped, as well as maybe Gionta, Bourque because of his up and down commitment to working hard, and Gionta if the contract is not signed before the deadline to extend him. That said, I don't want either of them traded unless it brings grit, not draft picks, maybe prospects that are nearer to the NHL....

My list for trading would begin and end with Diaz, don't like his play in his own end, and there are teams looking for his skating and puck movement that may over pay as in a prospect with grit, or as in a late second rounder.

In hockey trades, there are always pieces you have to give up, to get something you really want, but I hope that MB really only wants to build for the next few seasons, and not give up on prospects we have in Hamilton, just to pick up someone we only need for a short playoff run.... no way I sell to get better now, we have been down that road before.

Salary cap stuff is always a factor now in the NHL, so that makes Markov and Gionta prime to be traded, with both being what some teams need, especially Markov. Like I said, you have to give to get, and if it's Markov we are giving up, then we are just packing it in, and it better be some kind of outstanding return. Habs could use him for two more years, just to teach the young guys what it takes to be a warrior like he is, and his game is prime right now so a trade for prospects would be a step back for us on how good the team is now.

Players like Gorges, Diaz, Bourque, DD, Briere, are all low return pieces, and although we all may want them traded, we would need depth to fill their places, and we don't have it for the here and now.

So after all that, my list of possible traded players is short, Bourque and Diaz.... Rene can be replaced by Leblanc, and we can shed his salary, and Diaz can be replaced by Beaulieu, and should be....

Murray and Cube won't be back next year, so if someone offers a pick, we should take it..... and bring in Tinordi to force them out of the lineup to initiate this process, near the deadline.

After reading a couple posts here I came with the conclusion that Diaz might be the only expendable piece on this roster. I wouldn't trade Bourque, he is important in the current state of affairs. He adds some size and can be dominant once in a while. With the current depth we have, if Bourque can't play well a couple nights, it's fine.

Diaz is the expendable piece because 1) if he goes we won't miss him as much, good technique handling the puck but can't score really, does not pose much threat when on powerplay and with Markov, Subban and Beaulieu (soon), we are good for the next 2 years or so. 2) there are teams that want him because they need some skilled defender, so I think we can actually get some decent return (I am not sure draft picks are a way to go, I'd rather a player). I wouldn't rule out the possibility of shipping out Diaz + someone like Moen to get a player that can add substantial size to the roster.

We should hang onto Beaulieu and other prospects unless it's a part of a package for a BETTER young player or prospect (i.e. Yakupov or Kulikov).

The biggest piece I could see being moved is Bourque, if he doesn't work his way back into an effective role. This could be problematic in that he's one of the few forwards with size that we have, but it might be similar to the Cole situation in getting out of contract before it becomes a cap millstone.

Not worried about Bourque's contract, not that high/long to be an issue, for a bigger (softish) 20+ goal scorer. I simply think his injury history will keep him off the market, or be tradable for anything worthwhile. But he was one I think wouldn't be missed and would open up room for Bournival (and Leblanc or Holland), but not a pressing issue.

Not saying that trading him is a good idea, but Beaulieu has had his troubles. Possible character issues with the whole assault thing, Mind numbing defensive gaffes at times etc. These are only things the organization can really know, but maybe they don't like what they see. They know he has value, so if they see other teams with interest in him, they make a trade. I think this could happen only if we are a serious contender at the deadline and are able to aquire a real nice asset in a package deal which will help us in the playoffs.

Personally I feel Beaulieu has a bright future along with Tinordi, and will be part of our core within about 2 years. I just have this back of my mind nagging that he could be moved because of his past, and he isn't having a great season either.

One PK Subban had defensive gaffs often when he broke in and is till working on that aspect of his game and I would wager that a 22-24 year old version of Beaulieu will be an impact player, if he can just hone his defensive decision making skills just a bit, he could be top notch offensive d-man.