Who will be traded by the deadline?

dlbalr

After reading a couple posts here I came with the conclusion that Diaz might be the only expendable piece on this roster. I wouldn't trade Bourque, he is important in the current state of affairs. He adds some size and can be dominant once in a while. With the current depth we have, if Bourque can't play well a couple nights, it's fine.

Diaz is the expendable piece because 1) if he goes we won't miss him as much, good technique handling the puck but can't score really, does not pose much threat when on powerplay and with Markov, Subban and Beaulieu (soon), we are good for the next 2 years or so. 2) there are teams that want him because they need some skilled defender, so I think we can actually get some decent return (I am not sure draft picks are a way to go, I'd rather a player). I wouldn't rule out the possibility of shipping out Diaz + someone like Moen to get a player that can add substantial size to the roster.

Defensive depth and Diaz'z play both seem underrated, there simply isn't another d-man on roster nor in Hamilton, who can play top 4 minutes as Diaz can if Markov-Subban ever get injured (without trading picks/prospects to fill that hole). And you know one of top-4 will miss time between now and April, with a shot off ankle/foot or some other random injury.

Odd thread... the deadline is months away. So much can change from injuries and rookies lighting up Hamilton.

That's why the timing is nice - you get to predict the playoff scenario at the same time instead of just throwing the same two or three names out there. Our writers were split the same way (some say they'll sell, others say they'll buy).

That's why the timing is nice - you get to predict the playoff scenario at the same time instead of just throwing the same two or three names out there. Our writers were split the same way (some say they'll sell, others say they'll buy).

And some will say that best time to trade is when you are doing well and not when trading out of desperation, which is sort of along the line of a Pacioretty-for-Kane based trade deal. Simply a hockey deal (highly contentious/debatable swap but).

But, I think most would say that Habs will not be sellers, unless things go way off the rails. And Bergevin has contended that he does not want to mortgage the future for short term success, so is another reason why I don't see any big trades being done before deadline.

Not worried about Bourque's contract, not that high/long to be an issue, for a bigger (softish) 20+ goal scorer. I simply think his injury history will keep him off the market, or be tradable for anything worthwhile. But he was one I think wouldn't be missed and would open up room for Bournival (and Leblanc or Holland), but not a pressing issue.

He's getting to the age when big forwards tend to lose a step. I agree, it's not the end of the world at 3.33, but it's always good to get out too early rather than too late. His performance in the playoffs last year makes me think that it might be worthwhile keeping him around for that time of year, however.

He's getting to the age when big forwards tend to lose a step. I agree, it's not the end of the world at 3.33, but it's always good to get out too early rather than too late. His performance in the playoffs last year makes me think that it might be worthwhile keeping him around for that time of year, however.

Agree, but other GMs will look at injury history and not be keen on giving up anything worthwhile for him, so he is more valuable for Habs to simply keep for playoff depth.

If Gaborik wasn't out for four weeks he'd be a great rental target, seeing as I guess he doesn't want to stay in Columbus.

Gaborik is the last type of player we should go after. Expensive + is a rental. This is not the year that we want to be going all in.

Depends on what we are giving up.

I'd move Bourque, Diaz and dd. Cap wise that would work.

Columbus would probably be looking for a 1st, 2nd and a prospect. If that's the price than screw it.

Gaborik is the last type of player we should go after. Expensive + is a rental. This is not the year that we want to be going all in.

Interesting article on the homepage about Bergevin wanting to make a splash. http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?18387

Do you guys think there's any truth to it? And if so, who could he be dangling? Bourque is apparently a suspect

Sure, GMs are always looking to improve team and wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't testing the waters.

Last year it was said, he had more inquiries on Eller and Bourque than the rest (as some others were never gonna be traded or virtually untouchable and demand-return for rest not there)

I wouldn't mind seeing Diaz moved and I think he is a player who would have some value to teams who are looking for another puck mover or help on the PP, at his best I could see him becoming similar in value to a Mark Streit. Even if were are comfortably in a playoff position come the deadline I don't think Diaz's brand of hockey is what will help us go deep.

Dallas is a team that needs offence from the back end and has a power play that is 29th in the league. Id like to see Diaz to Dallas for Brenden Dilon, hes 23, 6'3'' 230 and has 44 hits through 22 games this season and he averaged 2.77 hits per game playing in all 48 last season. More than likely it would take more than Diaz to acquire Dilon but I'd be prepared to add a prospect or a pick as long as the asking price wasn't and elite prospect or a 1st.

Dallas is a team that needs offence from the back end and has a power play that is 29th in the league. Id like to see Diaz to Dallas for Brenden Dilon, hes 23, 6'3'' 230 and has 44 hits through 22 games this season and he averaged 2.77 hits per game playing in all 48 last season. More than likely it would take more than Diaz to acquire Dilon but I'd be prepared to add a prospect or a pick as long as the asking price wasn't and elite prospect or a 1st.

After a quick read on Dillon I must say that would be quite the acquisition for the Habs. He reminds me of.. Emelin haha. Looks to have half decent offensive upside even. Say 30 points, a boatload of hits, and as you mentioned he's only young.

Sadly it makes me think he might be difficult to acquire. Diaz a second and a decent prospect, Ellis maybe.

Don't know just a quick read but he would fit so good.

I'd do Diaz for Dillon in a split second, but Dallas likely wouldn't. The good news is that MB has prior dealings with Dallas, so presumably there are open lines of communication there. Fun to contemplate, anyway.

I'd do Diaz for Dillon in a split second, but Dallas likely wouldn't. The good news is that MB has prior dealings with Dallas, so presumably there are open lines of communication there. Fun to contemplate, anyway.

Well he had prior dealings with their GM who is now fired, and the front office was cleaned out since Nill took over.

As for moving Diaz, I think he's valuable to us... he's a top four defenceman... one of only 2 RH shots on the team... and he brings offence, which 3 of our guys don't really (unless Emelin suddenly shows what he did in Russia, cause he hasn't brought it in the NHL yet).

Those dealings were with clueless Joe, not Nill who picked up a #1 centre Seguin so the Bruins can get more depth in their lineup.

Those dealings were with clueless Joe, not Nill who picked up a #1 centre Seguin so the Bruins can get more depth in their lineup.

You make a good point. Oh well, easy come easy go... -_-

Guest Stogey24

I think we should sign Diaz now, and his value will skyrocket when his shot starts hitting the net. Then think about trading him.

I don't believe he's that bad of a shooter.

I had a harder shot in peewee than Diaz has now. He does produce points though.... May bite us if we let him go.

Hopefully Bob McKenzie for clown quintet of Doug Maclean, (and CBC toss in) Cherry, Healy, Stock, Milbury, but will never happen, TSN isn't that braindead.

How bout Maclean for Maggie the monkey?

I had a harder shot in peewee than Diaz has now. He does produce points though.... May bite us if we let him go.

Am I alone in thinking that Diaz possesses an above average shot? He does miss a lot, but I think he's got a canon.