Who will be traded by the deadline?

dlbalr

Am I alone in thinking that Diaz possesses an above average shot? He does miss a lot, but I think he's got a canon.

I don't know about a cannon, but I agree that it's above average. Unfortunately, that doesn't count for much when you can't hit the net. I think he'll start to do so and the points will follow.

Emelin is another guy who has a decent shot, easily the fourth best on the team.

Guest Stogey24

I don't know about a cannon, but I agree that it's above average. Unfortunately, that doesn't count for much when you can't hit the net. I think he'll start to do so and the points will follow.

Emelin is another guy who has a decent shot, easily the fourth best on the team.

I'm pretty sure I read that Bourque won the hardest shot competition in the AHL skills comp.

I had a harder shot in peewee than Diaz has now. He does produce points though.... May bite us if we let him go.

We're talking about Diaz, not Saku Koivu.

But you're right though, when you shot doesn't hit the net, the radar doesn't take it into account.

• 3 weeks later...

What is all the talk about Habs brass scouting the Jets so much? Is it Kane(with the 'tude) or is it really Ladd they are looking to acquire?

The more I watch this season, the more I think about early in his hiring, MB saying that character can out weigh skill, and that he wants to only add players with impeccable character and smarts.....

The more I watch Patches and Eller, the more I think either of them could be the valuable piece traded to get a valuable piece or two...you do have to give to get in a hockey trade, so, neither of these guys bring it every night, and I can't help but think if I am annoyed by their "sometimes" effort, then how annoying is it to Bergevin and Therrien? We aren't going to get anything substantial with our junk like DD, Briere, Moen, or Bourque, so who do you guys think the valuable pieces are that may be traded to upgrade our needs?

Markov? Patch? Eller? Plekanec?

I really think that maybe Price is the only real untouchable we have, even Subban could be traded for the right deal, I believe that..... when I am thinking like I am MB, an ex-NHL journeyman defense, that really knows what it takes to win, and not an armchair, Xbox GM wannabe, I have doubts about all those I have mentioned from watching every game for the last ten years or however long RDS has covered them every game. I have serious doubts about anybody not from Canada anyway when it comes to hockey, lol....

Am I alone in this line of thinking? Would really like to know if you guys think I'm nuts or not......

What is all the talk about Habs brass scouting the Jets so much? Is it Kane(with the 'tude) or is it really Ladd they are looking to acquire?

The more I watch this season, the more I think about early in his hiring, MB saying that character can out weigh skill, and that he wants to only add players with impeccable character and smarts.....

The more I watch Patches and Eller, the more I think either of them could be the valuable piece traded to get a valuable piece or two...you do have to give to get in a hockey trade, so, neither of these guys bring it every night, and I can't help but think if I am annoyed by their "sometimes" effort, then how annoying is it to Bergevin and Therrien? We aren't going to get anything substantial with our junk like DD, Briere, Moen, or Bourque, so who do you guys think the valuable pieces are that may be traded to upgrade our needs?

I really think that maybe Price is the only real untouchable we have, even Subban could be traded for the right deal, I believe that..... when I am thinking like I am MB, an ex-NHL journeyman defense, that really knows what it takes to win, and not an armchair, Xbox GM wannabe, I have doubts about all those I have mentioned from watching every game for the last ten years or however long RDS has covered them every game. I have serious doubts about anybody not from Canada anyway when it comes to hockey, lol....

Am I alone in this line of thinking? Would really like to know if you guys think I'm nuts or not......

No, sane and smart, but seems very unpopular to mention trading any top quality player, till he is slumping or injured.

But, is I still don't think Dudley/Bergevin and crew will deal much at all, barring a total "off the rails" run for next 2 months.

Gionta should be and i say will be gone, C or no C. We need a real solid goal scorer, so look for a package that nets us one. Patches I would hate to see go, but to get quality you have to give quality. DD we all want gone, Briere ain't goin cause nobody wants them. We have tadeable defence but losing Markov would be bad for the team. So look for another young defensive prospect to go. Diaz we could live without but not much value. Emelin is not going anywhere for a long time. It is possible that other than Gionta we keep everyone and see what the off season brings. This is what we have done for the past number of years and is part of the reason we are not really improving as a team. This team does not make bold statements other than Big BoB's rebuild 2.

Except for the Canadian jingoism, not nuts.

Problem is, what we don't know is the degree to which Bergevin is the type to take big risks. Sure, Pacioretty has only had one season where he did not seem to run in streaks (2011-12), and sure, Eller seems to drift in and out. (It seems more irritating in Eller's case, because he doesn't have the "all scorers are streaky" excuse to fall back on). But to move either of those guys - regardless of return - would constitute a really bold, unexpected shakeup to the core of the rebuild. It's the move of a GM who feels he has enough of a read on players who are 25 and 24, respectively, to decisively ship them out of the organization despite their ample potential, and despite the fact that most young players really don't put it all together consistently until about age 26-27. Those are bold, ballsy moves, not the move of a patient gradualist.

The longer MB goes on without touching core pieces, the more we have to figure he's the second sort of GM. But as of now it's still too soon to say.

guys, we are a playoff team, and likely be a middle of the conference type team when all is said and done. Not imagining us trading anyone away going into the playoffs in that position, certainly not a d-man who may be a tradeable asset, but has no immediate replacement or upgrade going into the playoffs. if we trade Diaz for a 2nd or 3rd rounder to some fringe playoff team, we replace him with Boullion, that is a downgrade, if we call up Beaulieu, still a downgrade at the current time, and we downgrade our team going into the playoffs in a good position? Doesn't make much sense to me, and i'm not at all against the possibility of keeping him either.

Diaz has been reliable and good most of the season, steady and dependable in any situation MT puts him in, and his only knock is a lack of size and physical play. I'm also not going to forget last season while Subban was holding out, he was simply great with Markov on the PP for the first 10 games or so of the season until Subban came back and played his way back up the depth chart. he was running a Point per Game pace on the top PP unit with Markov and even leading the team in points with 9 assists at one point. Diaz is simply pushed out of that favorable position here and unable to hit a 40 point plateau because he has Markov and Subban ahead of him, and so will Beaulieu or any replacement we find.

We still have no Idea how Beaulieu will turn out, and as far as I can tell, he is still behind Tinordi on the team's depth chart, simply because we have Markov and Subban who can do his job better, while Tinordi only has Emelin who can do his job better. As far as I am concerned, Diaz has turned out quite fine, and if we can snag him in the 2.5 - 3.2 mill range a year, I say keep him, he is still young, plays the role we need him for well, and you know what they say about the devil you know. I would think, to acquire a player of meaning to fill in the void Gionta will leave when he becomes a UFA, you actually use Beaulieu as the blue chip in your deal to acquire something of consequence, and keep Diaz. We bring up Tinordi to fill the Boullion spot after he is let go, and decide if Murray comes in as your depth guy, then having Diaz playing with Tinordi on the 3rd pairing becomes a situation where Diaz' size is not as glaring of an issue when he has Tinordi to take care of the heavyweights in front of the net, he can focus on breaking out of the zone.

and we come away with hopefully a top 6 forward with some size from a team in need of a high end Defensive prospect on the verge of breaking into the league, using Beaulieu and possibly a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Edited by Link67
  • Upvote 1

guys, we are a playoff team, and likely be a middle of the conference type team when all is said and done. Not imagining us trading anyone away going into the playoffs in that position, certainly not a d-man who may be a tradeable asset, but has no immediate replacement or upgrade going into the playoffs. if we trade Diaz for a 2nd or 3rd rounder to some fringe playoff team, we replace him with Boullion, that is a downgrade, if we call up Beaulieu, still a downgrade at the current time, and we downgrade our team going into the playoffs in a good position? Doesn't make much sense to me, and i'm not at all against the possibility of keeping him either.

Diaz has been reliable and good most of the season, steady and dependable in any situation MT puts him in, and his only knock is a lack of size and physical play. I'm also not going to forget last season while Subban was holding out, he was simply great with Markov on the PP for the first 10 games or so of the season until Subban came back and played his way back up the depth chart. he was running a Point per Game pace on the top PP unit with Markov and even leading the team in points with 9 assists at one point. Diaz is simply pushed out of that favorable position here and unable to hit a 40 point plateau because he has Markov and Subban ahead of him, and so will Beaulieu or any replacement we find.

We still have no Idea how Beaulieu will turn out, and as far as I can tell, he is still behind Tinordi on the team's depth chart, simply because we have Markov and Subban who can do his job better, while Tinordi only has Emelin who can do his job better. As far as I am concerned, Diaz has turned out quite fine, and if we can snag him in the 2.5 - 3.2 mill range a year, I say keep him, he is still young, plays the role we need him for well, and you know what they say about the devil you know. I would think, to acquire a player of meaning to fill in the void Gionta will leave when he becomes a UFA, you actually use Beaulieu as the blue chip in your deal to acquire something of consequence, and keep Diaz. We bring up Tinordi to fill the Boullion spot after he is let go, and decide if Murray comes in as your depth guy, then having Diaz playing with Tinordi on the 3rd pairing becomes a situation where Diaz' size is not as glaring of an issue when he has Tinordi to take care of the heavyweights in front of the net, he can focus on breaking out of the zone.

and we come away with hopefully a top 6 forward with some size from a team in need of a high end Defensive prospect on the verge of breaking into the league, using Beaulieu and possibly a 1st or 2nd rounder.

I wish I could write a response like this! I'd pay more attention to me.

Merry Christmas y'all.

Also, we need to be thinking in terms of an eventual future without Markov. Assuming that #79 has at most three seasons left as a top-pairing defender, I'm not sure we should be in a rush to ship out guys like Diaz. Frankly, this team needs to think more in terms of trading aging assets rather than youngish players hitting their prime like Diaz. This is not to say that Diaz is awesome, just that he's not the type of asset we should be trying to move.

Also, we need to be thinking in terms of an eventual future without Markov. Assuming that #79 has at most three seasons left as a top-pairing defender, I'm not sure we should be in a rush to ship out guys like Diaz. Frankly, this team needs to think more in terms of trading aging assets rather than youngish players hitting their prime like Diaz. This is not to say that Diaz is awesome, just that he's not the type of asset we should be trying to move.

I keep being told that this team isn't a contender and "not their year" and Vegas agrees, with a 25-30:1 odds of them winning cup.

So does that mean this year is still just considered a rebuilding year and Markov is filling a top 4 and maybe mentoring role for next 50-60 games and will do little to actually help win a cup this year or next?

So, we look to next 3 years if give him extension and are 36-37-38 year old rebuilt knees gonna hold up for 100 games/year (all told) and still be worth $6m/year (which I think a team like Detroit/Rangers may offer him). Habs kept Hamrlik and Spacek till past prime and they were simply pylons at the end , but Gonchar did well at similar age and was just signed till he will be 41. Will Markov's high hockey IQ and difficulty to find a replacement top 4 guy, make him worth a new 3 year deal? (I think 2 year deal is as much as I would risk)

I am still for standing pat and simply see how this team, as is, can do in playoffs and if they can manage to get to 2nd round I think would be OK year and if all the stars happen to align "who knows" what could happen.